Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #121
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 
Default Re: HULK FRIDAY: ARE GT prices set to tumble?

Accountancy logic and high performance motorcars, happy bed fellows do not make.

grown ups get this, even the ones that drive performance cars.

The investment speculators on the other hand LOL.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 13-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #122
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Still no actual predictions though...

Good night.
Predictions for price/Values are FGX XR8 > FPV GT...

Its impossible to tell you the exact value in 6 months / 12 months / 18 months etc.. But its fair to predict that the value of the GT will be less than the price of the FGX XR8.. At least until they stop production of the last Falcon, then the dust will settle, supply and demand market forces take over.
Old 13-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #123
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, that's a fair response, I agree with you it's difficult to predict.

Can you define what you mean by "free fall" then? Is it a 10k drop in 6 months, a 5k drop in 6 months or a 20k drop in 6 months?
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
Old 13-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #124
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
BUT the fact of the matter is the introduction of the FGX xr8 will send GT prices into free fall..
How can you know this as fact ?
Did the release of GTF send standard FG GT prices into freefall
Did the release of the previous R Spec send standard FG GT prices into freefall

History would suggest that your presumption on "fact" is BS...

New XR8 will not be made in numbers large enough to flood the market so the impact to current GT prices would be minimal at best as a deciding factor alone.

What you may see is XR8 buyers being gouged due to the limited numbers being made. This doesnt affect the prices of GT , it affects the wallet of the XR8 buyer , in fact , if the dealers play their cards wrong and price XR8 inappropriately - all they are doing is putting emphasis on what a bargain the second hand GT is , not the other way around.

The depreciation on a second hand GT has hit already , Buying a brand new XR8 on the other hand ( as with all brand new cars ) , as soon as you drive off the LOT you take a massive hit - so your theory is the only thing going into freefall............
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #125
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Ok, that's a fair response, I agree with you it's difficult to predict.

Can you define what you mean by "free fall" then? Is it a 10k drop in 6 months, a 5k drop in 6 months or a 20k drop in 6 months?
What I mean by free fall is that the price of a Brand new FGX XR8 will be a ceiling price for a GT. Any GT priced above this will imediately fall to the ceiling price AT BEST!! Then with Km simply deduct from the ceiling price.

have a look on carsales... Plenty of GT for sale above $60k. Some upwards over $100k. They can either dream and price the car up here or look at the ceiling price as dictated by FGX XR8 and realise thats the market.

How will these GT prices ever get near what many sellers are asking when you can buy essentially the same car and in many ways better car for mid $50k brand new in the form of a FGx XR8..

For used examples of GT id expect them to free fall even quicker as the price for FGX is a BRAND NEW CAR!!

here are some examples, there are literally hundreds of examples... how are these cars going to sell when FGX is released.. no chance.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=6&sdmvc=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-3041253

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...?Cr=11&sdmvc=1

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...?Cr=15&sdmvc=1
Old 13-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #126
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
GT owners are never going to concede that the FGX XR8 will hurt resale value of a GT.

The proof will be in the pudding. Lets give it 6 months and see what the market says.
And conceited posters are never going to admit they don't know what they're talking about.....what's your point exactly?

Quote:
What I mean by free fall is that the price of a Brand new FGX XR8 will be a ceiling price for a GT. Any GT priced above this will imediately fall to the ceiling price AT BEST!! Then with Km simply deduct from the ceiling price.

have a look on carsales... Plenty of GT for sale above $60k. Some upwards over $100k. They can either dream and price the car up here or look at the ceiling price as dictated by FGX XR8 and realise thats the market.

How will these GT prices ever get near what many sellers are asking when you can buy essentially the same car and in many ways better car for mid $50k brand new in the form of a FGx XR8..

For used examples of GT id expect them to free fall even quicker as the price for FGX is a BRAND NEW CAR!!

here are some examples, there are literally hundreds of examples... how are these cars going to sell when FGX is released.. no chance.

I bought my GT for less than a FGX XR8, and I would not expect it's price to climb; I bought it because I wanted it not because it "might" increase in value (which is rare for any motor vehicle). I might reasonably expect that it might not depreciate quite so fast now that there aren't any others, but this still puts min in a price bracket cheaper than the FGX XR8, so your argument is shot from the start.....there are as many under $60k as over.....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #127
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

The BF and the GTP wouldn't get a look over the XR8 for mine.
The GTF is overpriced and I could get the Rspec new for $60k drive away with an XR8 badge instead.

Although I doubt you'll get much support for the notion, I believe there is merit in what you say.
Old 13-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #128
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
The BF and the GTP wouldn't get a look over the XR8 for mine.
The GTF is overpriced and I could get the Rspec new for $60k drive away with an XR8 badge instead.

Although I doubt you'll get much support for the notion, I believe there is merit in what you say.
B series GT's are old news , have been for years. Anyone considering a new XR8 wouldnt be looking at comparing these 2, they are generations apart, its more likely to be a choice between FG2 335 and FG X XR8.

However, if I had to make the choice between a BFGT 40th anniversary and the new XR8, I'd be driving home in the car with the 2 letters on the boot every time.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #129
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
And conceited posters are never going to admit they don't know what they're talking about.....what's your point exactly?

I bought my GT for less than a FGX XR8, and I would not expect it's price to climb; I bought it because I wanted it not because it "might" increase in value (which is rare for any motor vehicle). I might reasonably expect that it might not depreciate quite so fast now that there aren't any others, but this still puts min in a price bracket cheaper than the FGX XR8, so your argument is shot from the start.....there are as many under $60k as over.....
How many km are on the GT you bought?.. You need to bear in mind the FGX XR8 is a brand new car at that price.. BRAND NEW

Some people might prefer a used GT to a brand new Falcon XT as they are fundamentally different cars, I can accept that. But the FGX XR8 is the same as the GT and better in many regards.

To buy a GT at a similar price to a FGX XR8 It like going to 2nds world to buy a TV at the same price as a Brand new TV from a proper shop. You just wont do it not at the same price.

To compare a GT to a FGX XR8, it you would have to have a near new GT, then we can try and convince ourselfs its worth similar money to the XR8, But anything with some km on it wont be anywhere near the value of the FGX XR8.
Old 13-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #130
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Hulk, you don't listen.

An FGX XR8 is NOT a GT, and will never replace a GT.

And I'm not a GT owner. I only have the passion.
8 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #131
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Hulk I really hope with all this you're going to put your money where your fingers are and BUY ONE.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #132
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
How many km are on the GT you bought?.. You need to bear in mind the FGX XR8 is a brand new car at that price.. BRAND NEW

Some people might prefer a used GT to a brand new Falcon XT as they are fundamentally different cars, I can accept that. But the FGX XR8 is the same as the GT and better in many regards.

To buy a GT at a similar price to a FGX XR8 It like going to 2nds world to buy a TV at the same price as a Brand new TV from a proper shop. You just wont do it not at the same price.

To compare a GT to a FGX XR8, it you would have to have a near new GT, then we can try and convince ourselfs its worth similar money to the XR8, But anything with some km on it wont be anywhere near the value of the FGX XR8.
My GT is the 26th car I have owned - most of them Fords, and I've had multiple XR8s, and other V8s. I always aspired to own an FPV, I never thought I would own a GT, and I especially never thought I'd own a supercharged V8 from the factory! In one car, I have all 3. Bargain. In the XR8, I'd only have 1 out of 3. Not enough to tick my boxes.

An XR8 is not a GT. In the FGX XR8 configuration, it inherited many parts from the GT, so maybe to some, it has the GT spirit, but it is still NOT a GT, so there's no comparison. My car has 50k km on it, and I bought it 6 moths ago for $20k less than the current FGX XR8 is on the road. I could not afford the XR8 (well, I could, but my kids like food, clothes etc), but the GT was right at the top end of what I could afford. I stretch to get it BECAUSE it was a gT. I would not have stretched to get an XR8 for the same money - new, second hand, or otherwise.

It's not that I'm a GT snob or anything, but by your reckoning, if I had always aspired to own a BMW, but I could choose a second hand one, or buy a new Mini Cooper, I should buy the Mini because under the skin it is BMW. Bzzzzt. Wrong!

If you don't get that, that's YOUR issue, not ours, but many people do get it, and that is why they choose a GT over anything else, or a BMW over anything else, or a Merc over anything else. Get the idea? No, I didn't think so......
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
4 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #133
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Heres something.

Some might prefer the look of the FG GT over the XR8 ....... and some might recognise the history of the badge.

Even more surprising ...... its peoples money to spend on what they prefer.

OMG ....... and Halleluia!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 08:53 PM   #134
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

i am recently one of these people you're laughing at. 4 weeks ago i decided to buy a 2 year old, low kilometer gt335, proper fpv. i really couldn't care less what you or others say, type, whatever about the value on it.
i have one, that's all that matters to me and if it's half the car my old ba gt was then it'll be worth more to me than a ford built xr8.
Old 13-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #135
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I thought it was Monday now? Friday must be over? ........ surely
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #136
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is unnecessarily divisive and clearly aimed at raising emotional responses. It should be closed.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #137
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Ok .......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread