Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question FG wagon - what would it have been?

Now before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I know full well there isn't and never will be another Falcon wagon, what I would like to explore is an alternate future which assumes there would have been.

What would an FG wagon have been?

Would it have been a rebodied B-series car with leaf springs and a LWB platform, or something more like the Commode Sportwagon on the sedan platform with IRS?

Having just spent the past 2 weeks tooling around in an AU wagon, I now realise how useful the old wagon actually was. That load space will swallow a lot of crap. And as for the leaf sprung v IRS argument - who cares. The average wagon buyer isn't buying a wagon for its handling prowess and probably wouldn't even notice the difference between the two under normal driving conditions. Henceforth I reckon Ford could have gotten away with offering an FG wagon on a LWB platform with leaf springs. But the old wagon's downfall was, quite simply, it wasn't stylish, and physical attraction is the first obstacle to any successful 'relationship'. If it was a stylish little (or large) number, it may have been a winner.

What say you? What would it have been?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post