Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #121
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How to Ressurect the Australian Car

G'day Hey True Blue ,,, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AVi3txs_ps
I can't believe I've never seen this before..John Williamson could have easily been thought that this song was written for Ford Falcon.
Maybe some should reflect on why we are even asking if the car industry could return in some way . Lots of mistakes by lots of people why we lost it in the first place.
Cheers Rod
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #122
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Thanks, will work even better when completely automated here near the best R&D areas for the vehicles. Save the $2 an hour and long supply chain logistics.
But your proposal is to recycle someone else's previous R&D, so not sure what our smart local engineers can add. By the way, recycling old designs has worked well for lada and Hyundai and a few Indian manufacturers.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #123
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
PLENTY of unionised countries still make cars.

Yes, and plenty of men with two legs and a dick make cars,
so we should too.
Quote:
The demonisation of unions and tax-payers propping up auto industry was a nice little initiative drummed up by our tabloid rags.

Unions are not the enemy- If you want to put all this on unions then you've singled out one factor due to a confirmation bias and ran with it.
Unions are very much the enemy, and people who defend them are ignorant morons.
I have been around many different industries over the last 30~40 years, dealt with all the different unions, and hundreds of various officials. I can count on one hand the number I met who were genuinely looking after the interests of their members.
If you can't comprehend the difference between what unions are SUPPOSED to be, and what they really are, then you are beyond help.
Quote:
If you want to scapegoat 'lefty politicians' for the downfall for the auto industry, you are an absolute goose.
if you want to see the real enemy, look in Canberra
So you want to blame Canberra, but not the Lefty Politicians?
Whom exactly do you think that leaves?
Its the lefties who have absolutely betrayed the workers they were meant to protect, most recently by chasing the green and gay votes.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #124
CATXR8
OWN THE ROAD

Easy solutions -

the unions want x $$ for their works etc.

the unions have money so why don't they buy the car industry and run it them self.
WORK HORSE - P250
CATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #125
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol I haven't heard soo much crap in my life. Typical, blame the unions for everything. Believe the Rupert Murdoch media. Uneducated Muppets. Just Sad really.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #126
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
But your proposal is to recycle someone else's previous R&D, so not sure what our smart local engineers can add. By the way, recycling old designs has worked well for lada and Hyundai and a few Indian manufacturers.
Spammy, I don't quite intend recreating the 60 series: look at a modern Ranger, it may have 1980's ladder frame chassis and 1982's Watts link, but has modern diesel, airbags etc. That kind of thing. Or take the 76 series, unbustable, simple, but with some modern safety and more modern engine (not that this V8 is 100% better than the 4.2TD it replaced...)

Basically new Aussie version by Aussie engineers built tough and to last with modern safety, great articulation, controlled chassis twist, diff locks etc etc: hello S Hemi markets
Old 10-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #127
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And in a similar theme, Macrobusiness does "Where is Australia's Space Agency?"

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/201...-space-agency/
Old 10-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #128
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Spammy, I don't quite intend recreating the 60 series: look at a modern Ranger, it may have 1980's ladder frame chassis and 1982's Watts link, but has modern diesel, airbags etc. That kind of thing. Or take the 76 series, unbustable, simple, but with some modern safety and more modern engine (not that this V8 is 100% better than the 4.2TD it replaced...)

Basically new Aussie version by Aussie engineers built tough and to last with modern safety, great articulation, controlled chassis twist, diff locks etc etc: hello S Hemi markets
Didnt one of the last commodores cost a billion to develop?
That cist borne by an existing car company largely evolving an existing car with a manufacturing base already functioning.

Cant imagine the true coat to what your proposing start from scratch with an idea design, prototype, engineer, market, supply chain, market, manufacture, deliver, support and remain profitable on a single model which to me has very limited appeal. Maybe 50-100k at best if all competition disappeared over a few years. And then the marketers could convince the buying public it was worth buying. Not even golden managed that!
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 11:20 PM   #129
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl View Post
Lol I haven't heard soo much crap in my life. Typical, blame the unions for everything. Believe the Rupert Murdoch media. Uneducated Muppets. Just Sad really.
It's true though. Every union in every industry - a joke. I've just recently seen one union eradicate the wearing of safety glasses and hard hats for their boys
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 06:50 AM   #130
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Didnt one of the last commodores cost a billion to develop?
That cist borne by an existing car company largely evolving an existing car with a manufacturing base already functioning.

Cant imagine the true coat to what your proposing start from scratch with an idea design, prototype, engineer, market, supply chain, market, manufacture, deliver, support and remain profitable on a single model which to me has very limited appeal. Maybe 50-100k at best if all competition disappeared over a few years. And then the marketers could convince the buying public it was worth buying. Not even golden managed that!
JP
sorry my typing on the phone is atrocious! worse still was my checking!
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #131
mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
It's true though. Every union in every industry - a joke. I've just recently seen one union eradicate the wearing of safety glasses and hard hats for their boys
Sorry mate ive been in the gold/copper/coal/bauxite mining industry for exactly 30 years as both a Group leader and paid up union member.

While I do think some oxygen thieves give unions a bad name.(cross section of society) I have been to plenty of Staff meetings, where I have come out feeling ashamed to be human, after some of the lifechanging decisions these back slapping upper management leeches make, which mind you, normally end up costing their companies more money in the long run. Believe me, the three unions I have been involved with have been a necessity.

The mines dept has given our Blast crew boys an exemption for wearing their hard hats on the blast pattern in our particular mine, as they saw they were an impediment to their safety.

Just saying there could be legitimate reasons for not wearing PPE in your example
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #132
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I don't know what the answers are, but we have all let our manufacturing disappear while we have become a nation of middle men sitting around in beardy weirdy coffee shops.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #133
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
I used to work in the domestic sector. Not unionised. Safety was non existent, pay was a joke, absolutely no rights, horrible working conditions and treated like a dog. Now work in the Commercial construction sector. Heavily unionised. Safety is great, working conditions are great and pay is fair. Love my job and going to work everyday. Work hard and look after the company that looks after me. Yet unions are a joke? hahaha some people have no sense of logic.... and then they complain they haven't had a pay rise in 7 years. Record low wage growth with record high cost of living and unions are the problem. The irony is perfect. Time to open your small mind.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 01:19 AM   #134
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very simple folks , we stopped buying what we were producing ,that's what killed our car industry , how were we going to export a product when we cant even support its existence where it originates ? today's Aussie consumer views a car like an appliance ,.they buy Korean claptraps and brag about 500 year warranties and clever iphone connectivity ,then whinge about losing manufacturing jobs , whose fault is it ? ....ours !
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #135
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Anyone know if MoFoCo would pursue legal action if someone tried to clone and resurrect the FG/Territory platforms elsewhere in the world?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #136
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt0351 View Post
very simple folks, we stopped buying what we were producing
Is that because the cost of living goes up yearly, while wage growth goes down to near stagnant levels?

Or is it because more & more cashed up (middle class?) people simply wanting nothing but the very best stuff to purchase?

I thought the middle class in Australia struggling atm?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #137
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Commercial construction sector. Heavily unionised. Safety is great, working conditions are great and pay is fair.
Fair? Don't you mean extortionate? The money a labouring mate makes, makes my eyes water. Great for those in the industry, lousy for its customers.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #138
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Fair? Don't you mean extortionate? The money a labouring mate makes, makes my eyes water. Great for those in the industry, lousy for its customers.
This attitude is the reason wage growth is at a all time low. The attitude of not fighting for a better deal and instead demonising others and those who help make it possible (unions). Bagging out those who sacrificed, struggled and stood together united to improve their working conditions. Tall poppy syndrome is a horrible thing.

Look at cost of living, dangers associated on constructions sites before making the comment. Labourers work the longest hours and do the worst work. The work no ones wants to do. Construction isn't a play ground. High risk work ( one error of judgement means killing you or worse someone else). The typical day usually consists of being up at 5am and arriving home at 6pm most days. Not to mention the complete lack of job security. They deserve every cent they get. I wouldn't want to do the work they do. Don't believe the right wind propaganda that make it seem like holiday. And for the customers i don't think the developers are struggling to make a profit. It is a highly profitable industry and workers who put the long hard hours in deserve their cut.

P.S You can get $28p/h at coles, secure job, easy, clean, no responsibility etc Are they over paid as well then?? Reason being you won't be getting anymore being a labourer on a domestic site, heck you probably won't even get basic amenities on the site like as a place to eat lunch or a toilet to take a **** in. Speaking from personal experience, I am not making this up.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #139
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This attitude is the reason wage growth is at a all time low.
"Here’s a startling contrast: the cost of goods and services with prices set by the private sector has increased by just 5 per cent during the past five years.

But where prices are set or substantially influenced by the government, costs have escalated by 27 per cent, more than five times that pace.

In the private sector, competition has never been more intense under the onslaught of cheap Asian-manufactured goods, the entry of new global retailers and the ever-greater ability of technology to put goods and services from around the world at a consumer’s fingertips."

78 has the answer just move everybody into a union or the public service and everybody can get a pay rise when the cost of living goes up.

Luckily I have 2 wheelbarrows in case I need to buy a loaf of bread
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post