Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 04-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #181
ianxy351
more cubes please...

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his technical knowledge with members. 

Hi Col and Jack. Good vid! Does your coupe have a 4 or 6 point cage in it? Any registration problems. I have a 6 point steel cage to go into mine, but I'm thinking about cutting it back to 4 point to avoid any entry issue and rego problems.

Ian
1967 FJ40 Landcruiser 'Rusty'
ianxy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #182
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Hi Ian...It is a 4 point cage and we never had any problems but we have had it in for 10 years?? I think now. We were told when we first fitted it that as long as it doesnt block access then it is fine but I believe the laws have changed in the past few years....Not too sure..Maybe someone else can answer that question clearer than I can

Cheers
Coll
Old 05-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #183
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Cage stuff.........4 points are OK, but if you get it engineered from the RTA, the vehicle will become registered with no back seat.

RTA doesn't like 6 point cages.

Regarding impeding entry.....are you talking about side intrusion bars for the front seats? Again, RTA says no to welded/fixed side intrusions......you can weld on ends that make them removeable. You can still use these on a 4 or 6 point cage. Rear seat impedance isn't an issue as you can't have people back there......or it is an issue if you want them there ;)

If you cut/refabricate any of the monocoque chassis and want it ANDRA approved (to run 10's) : then you need a full 6 point with WELDED intrusion bars.....with an untouched chassis, just a 4 point cage is required.

All the new national rules are making 6 points very hard, if not close to impossible to get approved.....just gotta be lucky

You can bolt in the front section as required for racing for your own safety, but ANDRA only requires a 4 point (for less than 10.99). If you ever "require" a 6 point, it must be welded.

RTA vs ANDRA! Ahhhhhhhhhhh ing_sm

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #184
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Thanks for that Adrian...I knew someone would know more than I do on that particular subject.

I fitted all the final touches to the coupe today It has been person (read Colleen) alised!! Very happy with how it has come out.

Bring on Echuca
Old 05-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #185
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Jack took her for a test drive today.

Here is a video - > Video

She sounds pretty good :

We have more issues with it...of course!! The tailshaft has been taken in for balancing. We need to replace the axle U joint flange..Hopefully 3rd times a charm!

sounds a bit tinny dont ya think !! NOT. :evil3:
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #186
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351
Cage stuff.........4 points are OK, but if you get it engineered from the RTA, the vehicle will become registered with no back seat.

Regarding impeding entry.....are you talking about side intrusion bars for the front seats? Again, RTA says no to welded/fixed side intrusions......you can weld on ends that make them removeable. You can still use these on a 4 or 6 point cage. Rear seat impedance isn't an issue as you can't have people back there......or it is an issue if you want them there ;)

If you cut/refabricate any of the monocoque chassis and want it ANDRA approved (to run 10's) : then you need a full 6 point with WELDED intrusion bars.....with an untouched chassis, just a 4 point cage is required.

All the new national rules are making 6 points very hard, if not close to impossible to get approved.....just gotta be lucky

You can bolt in the front section as required for racing for your own safety, but ANDRA only requires a 4 point (for less than 10.99). If you ever "require" a 6 point, it must be welded.

rules in Vic are a little different. 6 point cage is allowed. needs to have correct padding on it.
2 of my race cars are road registered , 1 has a 8 point welded in cage the other has a welded in 6 point with intrusion bars.

car is looking great Col & Jack. Look forward to you bringing it down to work Col. I will clear a space out the front.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #187
ianxy351
more cubes please...

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his technical knowledge with members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu351

Thanks Adrian - very good explanation.

Cheers

Ian
1967 FJ40 Landcruiser 'Rusty'
ianxy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #188
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGAutosalvage

car is looking great Col & Jack. Look forward to you bringing it down to work Col. I will clear a space out the front.
Make it a big one!! See you in the morning around 9ish D.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #189
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

thanks for the sneak peek this morning :
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #190
Geez Louise
Awesome

No worries Darren. You were the first person to see her done..She looks pretty good doesnt she

I scrapped those speedbumps around the corner though and I went over them slow too. :( You did warn me!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #191
Geez Louise
Awesome

Took the rims off the car today and spent HOURS polishing them...grrrr! :( Also got the offset moved (oh yeah baby...more room for rubber!!)

The one of the left has been polished...one on the right has yet to be done..For all the work that went into polishing them...thought the difference would have been more obvious...

New rubber get put on her tomorrow...Goin all out OLD SKOOL COOL!! :

Last edited by Geez Louise; 08-09-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: editing pic
Geez Louise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #192
cob115
COUPE WHORE

looking great ,what of set /back space have you guys got now?

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #193
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

Pat,
They now have a 5 1/4 inch backspace.
Should be no more scraping issues now.

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #194
Apollo66
My toy

Location: South Ozz on the only leg Australia has to stand on

Watch that dog, think it's lining up to make a mark.

looking good. Hard work that polishing.
Apollo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #195
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
The one of the left has been polished...one on the right has yet to be done
You sure you've got that the right way round?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:26 AM   #196
Geez Louise
Awesome

Yes. I got it the right way around. I know it doesn't look that shiny in the pics...but on the car! WOW!!

New rubber got put on today and they look great!! Car also is back on the dyno mid morning so we will see how it goes
Old 10-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #197
fatasslandau
the money box

looking good better let us know how the dyno goes
fatasslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #198
Geez Louise
Awesome

Well it got dyno'd...and let's just say...we are okay with the results...

Here it is: -->> Video

Here is another pic of the rims before they went to get rubber on. You can tell the difference in this pic

Here is a pic of the engine bay...notice anything different??

And the new tyres...DOMINATOR!!! Lovin it! Made by Cooper....driven by Coll Haven't washed the blue off them yet. Jack just told me that is my job on the weekend :(

You can see how much room we now have. They are 295's on the back and fit with heaps of room to spare.

All in all...I think I can say...Jack and I are very happy campers I can't wait to have some legal fun on the track...Bring on Echuca! :
Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 AM   #199
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

what were the other ends of the ratchet straps attached to?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #200
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyv8
what were the other ends of the ratchet straps attached to?
lookslike the door piler : )whats the results col ,i wont tell

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #201
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
lookslike the door piler : )whats the results col ,i wont tell
Thats okay Pat...neither will I! It was more than 150...and less than 350. : Going to compare how well it does on the track...we will let you know in Echuca

As for the straps....you are correct.

We have also done some more stuff to the car that is not on here. I will have a look after work and see what I missed posting up...Lots more goodies

Last edited by Geez Louise; 11-09-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Geez Louise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #202
fordmfp
Blue blooded

Hey guys AWESOME job!! It looks sensational and sounds the good too, The 295s look super fat on the back!! Good job

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11259539
fordmfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #203
Geez Louise
Awesome

Jack put new rear leaf springs on the car today....You can see why!

New Springs:

Old spring with a new one...Lets play..spot the sag shall we?

And being the wonderful wife that I am...I picked these up for Jack today...

It is not all good news....The starter motor decided she aint gonna starts no more..So I also picked up another one of those.

Hopefully after tomorrow when we fit these parts...THAT WILL BE IT!! and we can just sit in it, rev it and tick off the neighbours.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #204
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

Its almost amazing they stay up with just 3½ leaves like that old one isn't it.

Brakes look fantastic! Might need to grab some details about those at some stage!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 AM   #205
Geez Louise
Awesome

The brakes and starter motor are going on today.

BIG THANKS to Darren at Ferntree Gully Auto Salvage for coming to the rescue yesterday with another starter motor at 5pm and for allowing me to take his beloved brakes off his hands. At least you know they have gone to a good home. They are going to be FANTASTIC on the coupe. Thanks again Darren :
Old 12-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #206
fatasslandau
the money box

this car just keeps getting better n better........i don't think those brakes will be any good to you so i think i should take them off your hands . i like to help out where i can
fatasslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #207
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatasslandau
this car just keeps getting better n better........i don't think those brakes will be any good to you so i think i should take them off your hands . i like to help out where i can
Well if thats the case..ya couldda come down to Melb Col and fit them for me!!

Starter motor is in and it's alive! Thank goodness for that.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #208
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow i just skimmed through this whole build and am loving your commitment to this car she has certanly turned out a treat a credit to you and your other half what a beutifull car.

I wish i had the health and finances to do what you are doing also its great to see a woman getting her hands dirty and not afraid to restore a car once again well done.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #209
Jallopy

Wow all that good gear still going on.

From the pics new springs have more sag than the originals.
Are the new spring packs lowered?
If it rides too hard you can always remove the third leaf.
I like a soft ride
Jallopy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #210
Geez Louise
Awesome

Here is another pic:

We have put King Spring Super lows on the front and King Spring Lows on the back. We like the effect of having the back end a little higher.

Thanks for the comments guys...she is coming along. A few more little bits and pieces...I thought we had finished her but then something always crops up.