Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Australia Trip

Hello all,

I apologize in advance for this long, rambling post! I signed on here the other day because I figured it would be a good source of information for several things. Obviously I'm interested in Australian Fords. I'm really only familiar with the Falcon, but that should be enough!

I'm pondering my first-ever trip to Australia later this year. I'd like to attend the Bathurst 1000, since it's the 50th anniversary, the rules change next year, and I figure I could see some Falcons in action.

I don't know much about Australia. In the '80s I got the first two Men at Work albums on vinyl. I got Midnight Oil on cassette. I then made the mistake of seeing Young Einstein.

And then for 20 years or so, not much about Australia, aside from a classic episode of The Simpsons.

Then I learned about the Falcons. I got a diecast of a Phase III XY GTHO. It's a very odd-looking car to American eyes. We tend to use two-door coupes for performance, not four-door sedans. And the Falcon was on the way out here by the time the 351 Cleveland arrived. So I got very interested in the Falcons.

In 2010 I visited Ireland, and after that I read up on the history of Ireland. Of course in reading about that I learned about the connection to Australia (initially through the song "The Fields of Athenry"). And I got to thinking that Australia would be an interesting place to visit.

Then I found a copy of The Proposition on DVD. What an amazing film! It's like a spaghetti western, but obviously not. Since then I've become a huge fan of Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. A friend of mine turned me on to the Saints as well.

I also got Walkabout on DVD. I had read the book in junior high, but had never seen the movie.

I'm currently reading a book called The Songlines, which was written by an English travel author. It is listed as a work of fiction, but it is clearly based on actual experiences of his. I've also got a book about the history of Australia that I hope to read next. I found it in a used bookstore. It's actually not very easy to find books about Australia in the US.

So now you know what little I know about your country, as filtered and distorted as that may be. I'm researching coming to visit for 3-4 weeks around the Bathurst race, and trying to figure out an itinerary.

I'm interested in Fords, obviously, but also other old Australian muscle such as Monaros, Toranas, and Chargers. I'm also interested in history, music (indigenous, rock, punk rock, jazz, pretty much anything), and aviation.

My rough plan is to visit Sydney, Bathurst, Melbourne (and the Ford museum in Geelong), and to see some of the Outback.

I now invite you all to suggest places to visit, things to see, or explain why I'm crazy or foolish.

This should be educational!