Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #211
ltd
Force Fed Fords

It'll definately be a hit with the fleets with a "4 cylinder only" policy.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #212
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
They're out there alright, but most will not be able to pic them. Might even be running around in unexpected bodies.
T6 Ranger mules? Although that is a diff. spec engine i suppose. Still, bit of ballast and its the same weight as a Falcon so ok for basic grunt measurement.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #213
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive heard that the fuel economy isn't very good
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #214
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember seeing an ford test AU3 with intercooler for turbo around a year before the BA's came out. Was cool, and seemed to have the wheels out a little wider than other AUs. Guess it would have been scrapped sadly.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #215
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds
Ive heard that the fuel economy isn't very good

And where did you hear this from??
Old 24-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #216
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say the 4cyl fuel economy would be shockingly bad when pushed, like on boost all the time towing, or having an enthusiastic drive through the mountains(again always on boost). That doesn't get publicity though, only the light throttle stuff does.

I had a new Audi 1.8T the other day and got 20 litres per hundred over 300km on one tank, then 18.5 on another tank. This is meant to have an average of 7.5 so the govt says and car test reports that so called push the car... got 8.5l/100!!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...highlight=audi

I find it extremely hard to get economy anywhere near that bad in a 6 cyl non turbo falcon.
Old 24-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #217
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

ED Manual, ive never seen a audi A4 1.8T or 2.0L use that much, not even the 3.0L V6's use that much and I have driven all 3, and had the 1.8 pegged at WOT up mt neibo on a couple of occasions and got L/100 in the 12's still, had it as low as 6.3 just cruising up to the sunny coast. Something seriously wrong with that A4.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #218
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I honestly think there was nothing wrong with the car, it was pretty floored...

I was talking to a mate who drove a new v10 M6 as a company car working for BMW in the UK, having a laugh at my effort in the audi, who has had a few tanks at 40 litres per hundred!! 7-8miled a UK gallon! 500hp uses fuel!
Old 24-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #219
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Meh, I see any EB I-4 Vs 4.0 I-6 fuel economy debate in
the same light as the XR6T Vs XR8 fuel consumption debate:
- When driven sedately, the turbo engines give better part throttle fuel economy
- When driven hard, turbo and non turbo engines use similar amounts of fuel.

If push came to shove, I'd prefer to drive a 2.0 Ecoboost Falcon over a 3.0 SIDI Commodore,
the turbo Falcon has much more low end torque and that's what really matters to most buyers...

I personally believe that a V6 Diesel Falcon would have been a far better move and one that
Ford may regret not bringing to market, diesel could change Falcon's image completely...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #220
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
And where did you hear this from??
Carn't say but heard 9.5 is all there getting
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #221
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is that in the Territ frame or Falcon frame??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #222
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
yeah, 9.5 L/100km city cycle maybe..... I can't disprove what you are saying (esp givne the lack of sources....though i understand why you can't reveal them) but unless you were hearing Territory test numbers (i.e. the recently spotted I4T territory mule (which may or may not reach production) then i highly doubt the combined ADR figure would be 9.5.

Stats can be very elusive indeed...maybe you heard a real world figure for a particular test, or it could have been the the gearbox stuck in 3rd gear for all i know (yes engineers do sometimes do funny stuff like that....its all part of thorough testing).

A mondeo 2.0 EB (i4T...effectively same engine) with approx 100kg less weight (if that) than an EB FG falcon is rated at about 7.5 L/100km ADR. This is based on euro numbers (i and others have posted on this very car/drivetrain elswhere on here....can't remember exact figures). Now given that car uses a DSG box (as opposed to the ZF 6sp auto most likely in FG), and has slightly lower HP tune as well, say you added 1 L/100km to its performance (for higher falcon weight, more aggressive tune etc.). You end up with mid 8s. No way in hell will the EB Falcon be ADR rated at more than 9L/100km.....Ford wouldn;t have bothered if they couldn't do better than that.

We shall see if that statement comes back to bite me in the bum but i think i'm safe....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #223
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Well maybe it is, but I reckon FoA have spent a lot of effort recently with disinformation. The coyote release date rumors illustrate this best.
Old 28-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #224
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
So this is recent testing, even though they have had a falcon running around a year before they announced EB4?
Old 28-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #225
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they should have gone for a diesel falcon. I dont think I would get good ecomomy out of a turbo 4 falcon at all, no matter what tech it has. maybe if it was a manual though...
Old 28-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #226
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
A mondeo 2.0 EB (i4T...effectively same engine) with approx 100kg less weight (if that) than an EB FG falcon is rated at about 7.5 L/100km ADR.
S-Max 2.0 Ecoboost is 1676 Kg and gets a combined fuel consumption of 8.1 l/100 klm.
No doubt, this is what Ford is expecting from the EB 2.0 Falcon,
kinda puts the 3.0 SIDI's 9.3 figure in the shade...

Also, S-Max EB 2.0: 0 to 100kph = 8.2 seconds.
I bet Ford gets that down to 7.5 seconds in the Falcon
to match its rival, the VE/VF 3.0 SIDI...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #227
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Unless you know the exact condition those figures were achieved under they are useless. You can only compare economy figures using the ADR formula, which measures cars under a certain lab test to compare one car to another. 9.5 could be city figures, combination or even on the high speed bowl for all we know.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #228
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
S-Max 2.0 Ecoboost is 1676 Kg and gets a combined fuel consumption of 8.1 l/100 klm.
No doubt, this is what Ford is expecting from the EB 2.0 Falcon,
kinda puts the 3.0 SIDI's 9.3 figure in the shade...

Also, S-Max EB 2.0: 0 to 100kph = 8.2 seconds.
I bet Ford gets that down to 7.5 seconds in the Falcon
to match its rival, the VE/VF 3.0 SIDI...
The EB i4T FG will most likely weigh 1600-1625kg. The S-Max being a van has a larger drag factor by virtue of frontal area. Add that to the lower weight of Falcon and mid 7s l/100km is highly achievable.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #229
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Bit of a taste

http://theage.drive.com.au/green-mot...224-1b6i3.html

Quote:
Falcon's new turbo debuts in Volvos
Chris Harris
February 24, 2011 - 2:31PM

Four-cylinder ‘Ecoboost’ engine that will make Ford’s large car more fuel efficient at the end of the year is now available in Australia in two new Volvo models.

The new four-cylinder turbo Ford Falcon doesn’t go on sale until later this year, but Australians can try a variation of the large car’s more fuel efficient engine in two new Volvos.

Volvo has borrowed the new direct-injection 2.0-litre ‘Ecoboost’ engine from former parent company Ford to create new entry-level models for its XC60 soft-roader and S60 sedan ranges.

It produces 177kW of power and 320Nm of torque – over an expansive rev range of 1800-5000rpm – in the new XC60 and S60 T5 models. The outputs are distributed to the front wheels via six-speed dual-clutch automatic that’s also taken from the Ford parts-bin.
Advertisement: Story continues below

On sale from next week, the XC60 T5 is priced from $54,150 (plus on-road costs) - $3500 less than the all-wheel-drive XC60 3.2-litre six-cylinder. The S60 T5 is priced from $51,950, making it $6000 cheaper than diesel-powered S60 D5 that was previously the base model.

Ford Australia has yet to confirm power and torque figures for the Falcon’s version of the four-cylinder, though the company has already tried to protect sales of its struggling large car by deciding not to import a new variant of the Mondeo medium car fitted with the same engine.

Volvo will add a third model with the Ecoboost engine when it launches its new V60 wagon next week - with pricing expected to carry a $3000 premium over the equivalent S60 upon which it is based.

Compliant with the latest Euro 5 emissions standards, the new ‘T5’ engine replaces the 169kW/320Nm 2.5-litre turbocharged five-cylinder unit that powers several current Volvo models including the C30 hatch, C70 coupe-convertible and S40/V50 sedan and wagon twins, as well as Ford’s Focus XR5 hot-hatch. Volvo Australia has yet to announce the timing for other models, however.

In XC60 guise, the T5 offers near-identical power and torque figures as the all-paw, naturally aspirated 3.2 six-cylinder from much lower revs and uses almost 2.0 litres less fuel per 100 kilometres (8.7L/100km) while emitting less carbon dioxide (198g vs 276g/km). At nearly 80 kilograms lighter, the T5 is also 1.3 seconds quicker to 100km/h from standstill.

When asked whether the T5’s introduction would kill off or cannibalise the identically equipped 3.2, Volvo Australia spokeswoman Laurissa Mirabelli conceded the overlap of engine performance but says ‘‘it comes down to whether customers want an all- or front-wheel drive vehicle.

he two models are different enough in terms of pricing, so it [the T5] won’t be replacing the six-cylinder at any stage’’.

Standard equipment for the XC60 T5 includes six airbags, stability control, cruise control, reverse parking sensors, electric park brake, electrically adjustable driver’s seat, leather trim, dual-zone climate-control, 17-inch alloy wheels, Bluetooth connectivity and the S60’s audio interface comprising a large, high-resolution screen to replace the current dual-screen set-up.
Old 24-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #230
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Bit of a taste

http://theage.drive.com.au/green-mot...224-1b6i3.html

It produces 177kW of power and 320Nm of torque – over an expansive rev range of 1800-5000rpm – in the new XC60 and S60 T5 models.
Nice power and torque delivery and outputs.

Retrotech thread
Old 24-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #231
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Nice power and torque delivery and outputs.

Am I reading right that the weight for the S60 is just over 2T?

http://www.volvocars.com/au/all-cars...ical-spec.aspx
Old 24-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #232
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I read that as the GVM and 1522kg is the kerb weight
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #233
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Am I reading right that the weight for the S60 is just over 2T?

http://www.volvocars.com/au/all-cars...ical-spec.aspx
I think the 'serving weight' is the base weight with no fluids etc. Which is 1522kg. The Total weight is 2040kg.

The T6 AWD weight is listed as 1680/2220kg.

http://www.carbuddy.com.au/car/value...7&tid=64469497

This site lists the T6 AWD as being 1888kg.

So, maybe the S60 2.0T EcoBoosted T5 would be 1725kg... My guess! Heavy, very heavy for a midsizer. Makes the economy figure even better. Should be tops in the Falcon

Retrotech thread
Old 24-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #234
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

So the current Falcon has a 1704kg kerb weight.

Do we know how much weight drops off with the I4T??
Old 24-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #235
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

Cant imagine a car with 500kg of fluid.. thats 2.5 44 gallon drums! :-) Sounds like the larger figure is with 5 fatties on board as well.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 11:34 PM   #236
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

When they do measurements with fluids, is that with a full petrol tank?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #237
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot
Cant imagine a car with 500kg of fluid.. thats 2.5 44 gallon drums! :-) Sounds like the larger figure is with 5 fatties on board as well.
Nor can I. The S60 T6 figures were 1680/2220kg on the Volvo site and the Aussie carbuddy site says 1888kg. So, 208kg difference between 'serving' and 'kerb' weights. Fuel capacity is 67L. ie ~55kg

Based on that difference of 208kg, I suggested 1725kg kerb based off the 1522/2040kg as per Volvo website.

Retrotech thread
Old 25-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #238
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So the current Falcon has a 1704kg kerb weight.

Do we know how much weight drops off with the I4T??
Our best guestimate is that the DOHC I6 weighs 195kg. Co-incidentally the same as Coyote 5.0L.

Ford have said the 2.0L EB4 will be 25kg lighter than a 3.5L V6.

The 2.0L Ford Duratec weigh 115kg according to enthusiast Fiesta / Focus sites. Weight needs to be added for turbos / charge cooling etc. Call it 25kg.

So, potentially a 1650kg Falcon is on the cards.

Retrotech thread
Old 25-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #239
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
So, potentially a 1650kg Falcon is on the cards.
Sounds like a good guess. This thing should be pretty good and with a 6 speed it should be geared well for a good mix of power and economy.
Old 25-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #240
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Maybe the 2 tonnes are for the convertibles?