Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-04-2023, 07:08 PM   #2401
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Thanks for the hose tips, dfb. I have a pair that are both due for replacement.

Have managed to coat the new chariot in two coats of collinite.

Its definitely more work than some other waxes, but hoping the better protection will be worth it.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2023, 05:20 PM   #2402
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Delivery day from Detailing Shed, ready for a session tomorrow.

Left to right -

Koch Chemie Gummifix Guf - this is used to dress rubber floor mats or vinyl flooring without making them slippery.
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...9082d76c&_ss=r

Koch Chemie Fleckenwasser FW - this is a new to me product, a solvent used to dissolve greasy stains left by oils, ink, paint, tar and cosmetics.
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...038e3659&_ss=r

Ethos Pro Shine Ceramic Detail Spray - Ethos is a new brand for me, Pro Shine can be used over existing waxes and coatings, as a drying aid or used as a standalone sealant.
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...30320772&_ss=r

Ethos Foam Party - a pH neutral soap for regular maintenance washes. A "tropical" scent and the promise of shaving cream thick foam.
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...non-473ml-3-8l

Ethos Dry and Seal - this product can be used as a sealant or drying aid depending on the application method. A unique formula of acrylic resins and carnauba wax apparently improves gloss, slickness and durability.
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...s-dry-and-seal

Platinum Potions Berry Punch & Tropic Twist - these are highly concentrated interior scents. The sniff test reveals potent aroma's, the Berry Punch my favorite.
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...minating-spray
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2023, 04:08 PM   #2403
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Well, I may have stocked up...................

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2023, 04:45 PM   #2404
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Every year, The Rag Company run a virtual trade show streamed on their Youtube channel, either viewed live or via playback. TRCMA or The Rag Company Media Access is the company's way of sharing new products from the range of companies that TRC sell. The show this year runs for 4 days, each day of the show running a 6+ hour livestream.

https://theragcompany.com/pages/trcma-day-one

Now, of course, this show is about selling products. But for me, it's a great way of learning about brand new products from the companies themselves. Often each segment features a live demonstration of said products. I'm a visual learner, so this aspect is invaluable for me much more informative than reading a product description on a website.

Day One featured presentations from P&S, ColourLock, Yellotools, Diamond ProTech and The Wrap Institute.

The P&S presentation was the most anticipated by me, with several brand new products launched.

First of which is their new line of interior fragrances. I think anyone who has used Bead Maker or Absolute will know that the fragrance of those products is a huge drawcard. P&S will now offer Mango Fresh Bead Maker Essence and Coconut Lime Absolute Essence as interior scents. These are joined by Eucalyptus Mint Tea along with a few others down the track. Super excited for the Bead Maker version.

https://psdetailproducts.com/collect...resh-fragrance
https://psdetailproducts.com/collect...lime-fragrance
https://psdetailproducts.com/collect...-tea-fragrance

Swift is a new interior quick detailer designed as a rival to Carpro InnerQD, as in a product to quickly refresh an interior that doesn't need a deeper clean with Express. It contains a blend of mild cleaning ability and a matte dressing as well as UV protection and an orange scent. Seeing it in action, the application looks very smooth and dries to a lovely matte finish. Really keen to try this product.

https://psdetailproducts.com/collect...ft-clean-shine

Finally, Defender SiO2 Protectant is a new space for P&S. While Bead Maker does contain an element of Si02, Defender is far more substantial and offers more durability. Defender is designed as a standalone sealant or for use in maintaining a ceramic coating. Applications are recommended anywhere between 6 to 12 months depending on the usage patterns of the vehicle and also plays well with Bead Maker. The application looks super easy, spray and wipe, wait for it to bubble then wipe off with a plush towel. Think of this product like a rival to Reload or Cure.

https://psdetailproducts.com/collect...io2-protectant

All of these products will be available in the coming weeks in the US, and should filter out to Australia in short order.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2023, 09:47 PM   #2405
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

TRCMA Day 2 -

Highlights from today include –

Gtechniq EXO v5 – this is the latest version EXO, offering increased durability and an improved user experience. Despite several advantages, some ceramic coatings tend to lack the slickness left by a traditional wax or sealant. EXO is the remedy for this, adding wax-like slickness at the same time increasing the hydrophobic properties of the base layer coating. Typically, EXO is used to top Crystal Serum Light, but it can also be used as a standalone coating with durability up to 18months.

iK TR1 updates – iK have added the revised spray head and weighted pickup tube from the new TR Mini 360 to the original TR1. This change improves the comfort of the sprayer head and allows them to be used in a 360 degree range without sucking air.

When these TR sprayers were released (pictured below), they appeared to be rushed to market. While the bottle looks super stout, the off the shelf canyon spray head looked like an afterthought. This compared to the Kwazar Mercury 360 sprayers that looked and functioned like a universally designed product. These improvements to the spray head and pickup move these sprayers into line with their direct competitors and will be available to upgrade existing sprayers.

iK have also made improvements to their Multi pump action sprayer, adding a weighted pickup tube to allow the unit to be used in a 360 degree movement. They have also added to their range of lithium battery units fitted to the larger foam sprayers.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2023, 11:16 PM   #2406
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

TRCMA – Day 3

Today focused on presentations from Stjarnagloss, Buff Bright, Buff & Shine, Vyper Chairs and MTM Veloci.

Vyper Chairs is an interesting one. This company manufacture highly over engineered, and crazy expensive, shop stools/chairs. These things are not built to a price point, they are made to be what they are and priced accordingly.

https://www.vyperindustrial.com/

Currently, this brand is not officially sold here in Australia………………………for now, I won’t/shouldn’t say any more than that!

I’m in two minds with these chairs, they are cool as hell, but certain models are pretty bulky.

MTM Veloci used their segment to launch a new range of quick connect pressure washing fittings, hoses and hose reel. The new PRIMA fittings offer a mid teer option, sitting above the Chinese made MTM items, but below the Mosmatic items that sit at the top of the tree. These stainless-steel fittings are made in the USA and offer a smoother polished finish and to my eyes, look fantastic. The new PRIMA reel is more compact, the new smooth jacket grey hose joins the blue versions.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2023, 05:01 PM   #2407
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

So, ive been layering product on, two x collinite, two x fully slick and one of bead machine. Has taken days to do with curing times for each coat. Then it rained today, a good 24 hours after the last layer.

Im somewhat less than impressed by bead machine and will be ordering some Jet after Easter. Its dfb endorsed, and ive used it before.

The paint was dry to touch before starting the waxing, it feels smoother now, but i do notice the contrast to our last car that was drowning in multiple fully slick coats (but never smeared, or felt greasy). Im tempted to let the car dry fully and add another fully slick layer, see if that improves the smoothness.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 07-04-2023 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
4 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2023, 08:22 PM   #2408
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

TRCMA Day 4 -

The final day of TRCMA focused on Rupes, Koch Chemie, Lake Country, Solution Finish and Optimum.

Rupes used their segment to talk about the new residue remover / prep spray called Reveal. These are offered in two different strengths, tying in with the other yellow (lite) and blue (heavy) colour co-ordinated products within the line.

https://rupesusa.com/reveal-residue-remover/

Koch Chemie – most shown in this segment were products already on the Australian market but new for US customers. Key product to highlight is a favorite of mine, Gummifix Guf. This is a non-greasy/slippery dressing for rubber floor mats.

Optimum launched several new or revised products, including a newly reformulated version of Optimum No Rinse (ONR). This is revision number five and offers improved lubrication, slickness, gloss and a much easier final dry process.

What I love most about this virtual trade show is that it provides information to someone like me directly from the manufacturer. Once upon a time, this sort of insight would have been restricted to professionals, or not communicated at all. So, when you have the opportunity to hear from the chemist who designed the chemical or product, it helps people like me understand how and why a product was designed to be used, and in the process, lead to better results.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2023, 08:31 PM   #2409
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
So, ive been layering product on, two x collinite, two x fully slick and one of bead machine. Has taken days to do with curing times for each coat. Then it rained today, a good 24 hours after the last layer.

Im somewhat less than impressed by bead machine and will be ordering some Jet after Easter. Its dfb endorsed, and ive used it before.

The paint was dry to touch before starting the waxing, it feels smoother now, but i do notice the contrast to our last car that was drowning in multiple fully slick coats (but never smeared, or felt greasy). Im tempted to let the car dry fully and add another fully slick layer, see if that improves the smoothness.
Jet runs circles around fully slick and then some imo. Used it on both of our cars, one driven daily the other on weekends.
Highly recommend also.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2023, 10:32 PM   #2410
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

A new brand has arrived in Australia via Car Care Co - DIY Detail

https://carcareco.com.au/product-category/diy-detail/

https://diydetail.com/

DIY Detail popped up in 2021 with a simplified range of products and the aim of making detailing easier to understand. Simple names, simple bottle designs, simple to use.

The DIY Detail brands is partially owned and headed by Yvan Lacroix and Nick McGurk. Lacriox is a industry leader in detailing education and business building, McGurk a detailer running his own Youtube channel.

From what I have learned, the products are made by a large chemical blender, one that doesn't sell products under its own name. In other words, they contract manufacture products for a variety of brands, modify the colours, scents and formulations to suit. My guess is that B&B Blending are the source, a company that manufacture products for Adam's and Obsessed Garage, among others.

According to those in the US who have been using these products over the last couple of years, the foaming rinse-less wash gets a lot of positive reviews, likewise Incredible Suds, Quick Beads and Ceramic Gloss.

I'm certainly up for trying the rinse-less and Incredible Suds, and of course I will want to try the tyre dressing as well.

Will be interesting to see how the brand does in Australia.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2023, 12:57 AM   #2411
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if you've covered Dmitry's Garage youtube channel in here, but this is an interesting test of our old favourite Gyeon Q2 wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7YLf_JA5U

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2023, 08:49 PM   #2412
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Ooo, I do love me a catalog!

The latest Carpro catalog, posted here for all to geek out over.

https://carpro.global/wp-content/upl...2023_web_s.pdf

One thing that caught my eye was the Coatings and Sealants spread sheet on page 35, in particular the pH resistance of each product.

Naturally, the ceramic coatings offer the widest spread of pH tolerance, ranging from an acidic 2 or 3 up to an alkaline 12 or 13.

But check out the numbers for the spray sealants and "ceramic" detailers, Reload 2.0, Hydr02 and EliXir only having a very small window of pH tolerance of 6 to 7.

If Reload, Hydr02 and EliXir are only used as a topper to an existing coating, this is less important. But if used as standalone products, you need to be mindful of what you use to clean the car with if you want to see the claimed durability numbers (3 months for Reload and Hydr02, 1 month for EliXir).

So, outside of a pH 7.5 (neutral) soap such as Reset, using anything stronger will kill or severely harm any of those products. I would also recommend dialing in your soap dilution rates to prevent overdosing. Hit them with Descale at pH 3.7 or Lift at 12.3 would only be used when preparing for the next application.

I mention all this based on comments regarding the durability of these sort of spray sealants, in particular Hydr02 and the older version of Reload v1. Both of those were primarily designed as toppers to existing coatings, as such ultimate durability was not the primary consideration.

When used as a standalone, perhaps the expectations of longevity are a touch too optimistic. Combine that with the use of more aggressive soaps, this goes some way towards understanding why some notice a lack of longevity from Hydr02 and Reload.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2023, 11:10 AM   #2413
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Autumn sale at waxit.

Finally ordered some Jet.

BA RTV.
Old 15-04-2023, 06:18 PM   #2414
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Ooo, I do love me a catalog!

The latest Carpro catalog, posted here for all to geek out over.

https://carpro.global/wp-content/upl...2023_web_s.pdf

One thing that caught my eye was the Coatings and Sealants spread sheet on page 35, in particular the pH resistance of each product.

Naturally, the ceramic coatings offer the widest spread of pH tolerance, ranging from an acidic 2 or 3 up to an alkaline 12 or 13.

But check out the numbers for the spray sealants and "ceramic" detailers, Reload 2.0, Hydr02 and EliXir only having a very small window of pH tolerance of 6 to 7.

If Reload, Hydr02 and EliXir are only used as a topper to an existing coating, this is less important. But if used as standalone products, you need to be mindful of what you use to clean the car with if you want to see the claimed durability numbers (3 months for Reload and Hydr02, 1 month for EliXir).

So, outside of a pH 7.5 (neutral) soap such as Reset, using anything stronger will kill or severely harm any of those products. I would also recommend dialing in your soap dilution rates to prevent overdosing. Hit them with Descale at pH 3.7 or Lift at 12.3 would only be used when preparing for the next application.

I mention all this based on comments regarding the durability of these sort of spray sealants, in particular Hydr02 and the older version of Reload v1. Both of those were primarily designed as toppers to existing coatings, as such ultimate durability was not the primary consideration.

When used as a standalone, perhaps the expectations of longevity are a touch too optimistic. Combine that with the use of more aggressive soaps, this goes some way towards understanding why some notice a lack of longevity from Hydr02 and Reload.
Interesting post mate, i'd love to know what Lustre can handle PH wise. I use my sportsman as a test and all the tops have evo and the sides different products. After 3 months the Lustre is cactus. I'm wondering if it's because i use 90ml of reset when I wash it. I need the suds because the car gets so smashed with tree sap and bird droppings.

I think the Evo may have failed on the roof as well, it's been on there 12 months. We'll see tomorrow when i wash it again, but it's stopped beading in about a 40x40cm spot. I don't put a topper over the Evo on the Sportsman as i'm testing it's durability.

Below pic shows the failure of Lustre after 3 months, you can see the line where I applied Evo on the guard. I love being able to test products on the Sportsman, as its out in the harsh elements 24/7

Old 15-04-2023, 06:42 PM   #2415
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Interesting post mate, i'd love to know what Lustre can handle PH wise. I use my sportsman as a test and all the tops have evo and the sides different products. After 3 months the Lustre is cactus. I'm wondering if it's because i use 90ml of reset when I wash it. I need the suds because the car gets so smashed with tree sap and bird droppings.

I think the Evo may have failed on the roof as well, it's been on there 12 months. We'll see tomorrow when i wash it again, but it's stopped beading in about a 40x40cm spot. I don't put a topper over the Evo on the Sportsman as i'm testing it's durability.

Below pic shows the failure of Lustre after 3 months, you can see the line where I applied Evo on the guard. I love being able to test products on the Sportsman, as its out in the harsh elements 24/7

I would also like to know the specifics of Lustre and Jet. They note Lustre is a 6 month product, but considering the harsh conditions, I'm not surprised its done within 3.

In terms of Reset, from what I have read, it does seem to be notably stronger than other soaps despite the "pH balanced" formula. It has been noted to shorten the life span of waxes and sealants, although I have not observed this personally.

With EVO, I would be trying a heavy decontamination and see if you can revive it. From what I have been learning recently, coatings get clogged and need periodic deep cleaning to bring back their hydrophobic behaviors. I'd be hitting it with an iron remover and NV Snow+ or Carpro Lift. Another thing to try would be using something like NV Shift, I have seen it suggested for reviving a coating that has lost its characteristics despite being relatively young.

https://www.waxit.com.au/products/nv...21302806478937

If you do try something like the above (iron decon/decon wash/Shift), I would love to hear how you go with that. With EVO being a pretty stout coating, I would like to think the above would be pretty successful.
Mustang GT

Old 15-04-2023, 09:08 PM   #2416
prydey
Rob

I did my territory with lustre and jet combo in early July last year. It's a daily driver and also did a trip to Brisbane and back at xmas. I wash it with NV snow, however have washed it once or twice with Reset.

Water still beads although not as good as when it was first done but still good enough to show there is a coating still working. I've been really impressed with how long it's lasted.

Perhaps there is an extra chemical reaction when lustre and jet are used as a combo??

Territory isn't pampered either, often going weeks between washes.
Old 18-04-2023, 09:48 AM   #2417
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Impatiently waiting for my Jet order to arrive. I will mention that the cars paintwork is now ready for a good hydrophobic top coat. It was quite dry when we got it. After two coats of collinite and six applications of fully slick, it only now feels glossy and smooth.

BA RTV.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2023, 11:10 AM   #2418
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

left field question and I havent done a great deal of research or browsing but Ive seen a few places advertising ceramic coating for cars, how good is this compared to a really good wash, wax and polish regeime?
Old 18-04-2023, 08:52 PM   #2419
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
left field question and I havent done a great deal of research or browsing but Ive seen a few places advertising ceramic coating for cars, how good is this compared to a really good wash, wax and polish regeime?
A complex question really, a how long is a piece of sting type of deal.

Wax Pro's -
- Requires less skill to apply
- Requires less intense prep
- Cheaper
- Offers a warmer look and a slicker feel.
- Is a tactile experience for those who enjoy it
- Can be stripped/removed easily

Wax Cons -
- Shorter durability/reapplied more often
- Less resistance to chemicals and contamination
- Reduced hydrophobic behavior
- Some paste waxes are hard to buff
- Some waxes can stain rubber trim

Ceramic Coating Pro's -
(This is for full ceramic coatings, not spray and wipe Si02 spray sealants)

- Extended durability when applied and cared for correctly
- High chemical and contamination resistance
- Supreme hydrophobic properties
- Often makes cleaning much easier
- Colour enrichment
- All surfaces can be coated with the same or specific products

Ceramic Coating Cons -

- Requires more application skill and time management
- High spots can be hard to remove
- Some coatings increase the risk of water spots
- On average, the coating product costs considerably more than a wax
- Requires more intensive preparation prior to install
- Often lack the slickness of a wax
- Requires more intensive periodic deep cleaning to maintain the coating performance.
- Are harder to remove when required

So, how good a ceramic coating is vs a wax will come down to your personal requirements and preferences. However, the success of both also comes down to how the car is prepared prior to application.

If the prep isn't thorough prior to the application of wax, reapplying doesn't incur a big cost, especially if done by the vehicle owner. On the other hand, ceramic coatings cost way more per milliliter, so improper prep work will result in your coating failing prematurely and a greater cost to reapply.

There is a reason why a professionally installed ceramic coating will cost above and beyond $1000. It's not necessarily the coating itself that costs the most, it's the massive amount of work that goes into the paint BEFORE the coating is even removed from the bottle. If a detailer is quoting seemingly cheap prices for a ceramic coating, then it will be the preparation steps (decontamination washing, claying, polishing, panel prep ect) that will be economized to make that price viable.

So, for me, I would rather apply a wax on a regular basis compared to a subpar ceramic application that is then going to fail within months, exactly the same as a wax.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2023, 08:59 PM   #2420
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you, my mind had been saying just what you reported.
The hardest part is getting the ommmff to start the hand wax process.
Old 18-04-2023, 09:10 PM   #2421
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thank you, my mind had been saying just what you reported.
The hardest part is getting the ommmff to start the hand wax process.
If you have a D/A polisher, you can use that on the lowest setting with a waxing/finishing pad to apply the wax quickly and evenly. You would then follow up with small applicator to do the intricate areas.

Mustang GT

Old 18-04-2023, 09:23 PM   #2422
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your expecting me to actually start ???
Old 18-04-2023, 09:27 PM   #2423
prydey
Rob

Quote:
your expecting me to actually start ???
If you're like me, then asking the question on the forum is considered 'making a start' haha. How quickly it progresses from there is anyone's guess...
Old 19-04-2023, 08:07 PM   #2424
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Dfb, you unintentionally made a relevant point describing waxing as a tactile experience.

Ive always liked the handson approach. Lately its been even more useful to remediate a shoulder injury incurred just before Christmas.

The combination of reaching, stretching, and being able to apply variable pressure around shaped body panels has been a huge help in getting strength and movement back.

Highly recommended, and cheaper by the hour than the physio.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 19-04-2023 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
5 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2023, 11:03 AM   #2425
prydey
Rob

Need some help diagnosing a product failure.

Went to wash the Escape Wednesday morning and what is usually nice thick 'nv snow' foam, ended up being watery bubbles. No foaming action.

2 possibilities.

My 15yr old karcher has a problem

Or

The bowdens foam cannon has a problem.

First question is how much water pressure is needed to produce the foam?

The karcher was pulsing a bit when turned on but before pulling the trigger, so possibly an internal leak?? Once the trigger was pulled out sounded fine and while the pressure may have been down it was still fairly decent. If i removed the bowdens gun from the bottle, there was plenty of suction at the tube that goes in to the solution.

The bowdens foam gun is my primary suspect. I do the wheels first and the first wheel foamed up normal. It then went pear shaped and didn't foam. Occasionally showed signs of it but mostly just like a straight car wash mix.

Anyone had any success pulling apart either a karcher or a foam gun?

Can't afford replacement items at the moment so really hoping I can resurrect what I've got.

Thanks.
Old 21-04-2023, 11:30 AM   #2426
bfets

Well, it seems my cheap Aldi pressure washer is on the way out. I have some Bunnings vouchers from Christmas and birthdays that I'll put towards replacing it. My current plan is to get a Gerni 7000. Anyone have experience with these?
I like the fact it comes with a hose reel and 10m of braided steel hose.

Also, I'm considering getting a MTM Hydro gun from Detailingshed which I think should make a decent combo. This is probably a nice to have and not mandatory, but the standard long gun on the current pressure washer really made it hard to use especially with a foam lance attached. All the weight at the front is a wrist breaker when trying to do the foaming one handed.

I'm also interested in hearing what types of spray nozzles you guys prefer to use. From my knowledge most professional detailers use the 40 degree white nozzles. I see Gerni does make a car nozzle, but it's 60 degrees.
bfets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2023, 07:30 PM   #2427
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfets View Post
Well, it seems my cheap Aldi pressure washer is on the way out. I have some Bunnings vouchers from Christmas and birthdays that I'll put towards replacing it. My current plan is to get a Gerni 7000. Anyone have experience with these?
I like the fact it comes with a hose reel and 10m of braided steel hose.

Also, I'm considering getting a MTM Hydro gun from Detailingshed which I think should make a decent combo. This is probably a nice to have and not mandatory, but the standard long gun on the current pressure washer really made it hard to use especially with a foam lance attached. All the weight at the front is a wrist breaker when trying to do the foaming one handed.

I'm also interested in hearing what types of spray nozzles you guys prefer to use. From my knowledge most professional detailers use the 40 degree white nozzles. I see Gerni does make a car nozzle, but it's 60 degrees.
First of all, if you haven't already, have a read of this thread I made on pressure washers for car washing -

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11496392

To summarize, for car washing, you want the highest flow number as possible, not necessarily pressure.

At 8.3 L/min, the Gerni 7000 is actually pretty decent. For reference, a Kranzle K1152 sits at 10 L/min but cost twice the price. The 10m hose should just be enough to get around the car without moving the machine, although 15m is comfortable.

After using an aftermarket short gun for a number of years now, there is a reason why I'm so insistent on fitting these to a pressure washer, they make the whole user experience so much easier!

Considering you are mentioning the MTM Foam cannon, which is the benchmark by the way, I would highly suggest ordering it in kit form, which includes a 40-degree nozzle and the SGS 28 short gun. The SGS 28 has a swiveling coupler which limits hose bind. Be sure to order it with the Gerni option so that it can be adapted to your hose.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...40277622751391

There is also another kit that includes a wand, if that interests you. (I use the short gun for wheels and the foam cannon, wand for body work)

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...19383957946425

In terms of nozzles, you want a 40-degree tip for general use, I also like having a 25-degree tip for wheel cleaning. For the Gerni 7000, you would probably use the 4.0 orifice (email them before though).

Basic -
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...qc-hydrojet-ss
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...1138c56f&_ss=r

Advanced -
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...ully-assembled

I'm also going to throw another option at you, and I know it's a bit more than the Gerni, but when looking at the bigger picture, it's actually fantastic value.

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/bigboi-washr-pro

The Big Boi WASHR PRO will flow at 9.5 L/min, has a 13m hose and includes the short gun, wand, nozzle and foam cannon. It doesn't have a hose reel, but that's actually a good thing in my opinion. At $949, it actually $94 cheaper than the Gerni 7000 + MTM Foam Cannon/Gun/Wand package. Not to mention it flowing more.

I could see this being set up on a service cart, the hose would then wind up around the handle. The below pic shows a water filtration system as well, but it gives you the idea..................

Happy to help further if needed. I basically taught myself all this after being so confused by it all when I went and updated my older Karcher. In basic terms though, there is so much out there now to tailor pressure washers for car detailing.
Mustang GT

Old 21-04-2023, 07:44 PM   #2428
bfets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
First of all, if you haven't already, have a read of this thread I made on pressure washers for car washing -

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11496392

To summarize, for car washing, you want the highest flow number as possible, not necessarily pressure.

At 8.3 L/min, the Gerni 7000 is actually pretty decent. For reference, a Kranzle K1152 sits at 10 L/min but cost twice the price. The 10m hose should just be enough to get around the car without moving the machine, although 15m is comfortable.

After using an aftermarket short gun for a number of years now, there is a reason why I'm so insistent on fitting these to a pressure washer, they make the whole user experience so much easier!

Considering you are mentioning the MTM Foam cannon, which is the benchmark by the way, I would highly suggest ordering it in kit form, which includes a 40-degree nozzle and the SGS 28 short gun. The SGS 28 has a swiveling coupler which limits hose bind. Be sure to order it with the Gerni option so that it can be adapted to your hose.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...40277622751391

There is also another kit that includes a wand, if that interests you. (I use the short gun for wheels and the foam cannon, wand for body work)

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...19383957946425

In terms of nozzles, you want a 40-degree tip for general use, I also like having a 25-degree tip for wheel cleaning. For the Gerni 7000, you would probably use the 4.0 orifice (email them before though).

Basic -

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...qc-hydrojet-ss

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...1138c56f&_ss=r

Advanced -

I'm also going to throw another option at you, and I know it's a bit more than the Gerni, but when looking at the bigger picture, it's actually fantastic value.

https://detailingshed.com.au/products/bigboi-washr-pro

The Big Boi WASHR PRO will flow at 9.5 L/min, has a 13m hose and includes the short gun, wand, nozzle and foam cannon. It doesn't have a hose reel, but that's actually a good thing in my opinion. At $949, it actually $94 cheaper than the Gerni 7000 + MTM Foam Cannon/Gun/Wand package. Not to mention it flowing more.

I could see this being set up on a service cart, the hose would then wind up around the handle. The below pic shows a water filtration system as well, but it gives you the idea..................

Happy to help further if needed. I basically taught myself all this after being so confused by it all when I went and updated my older Karcher. In basic terms though, there is so much out there now to tailor pressure washers for car detailing.
Thanks DFB. That is really helpful.
The one reason I'm thinking Gerni is because I can get that at my local Bunnings and I have around $400 worth of Bunnings vouchers that I could burn on it.

I was thinking of getting this gun kit :
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...-premium-kit-2

I already have a foam lance. Two actually. I have the original one from Waxit, and I also have the newer NV foamstorm one. In order to use them with the MTM gun , I'll need to get some 3/8 QC connectors though. I think Waxit does sell that for both of those cannons. That should work right?
bfets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2023, 07:46 PM   #2429
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Need some help diagnosing a product failure.

Went to wash the Escape Wednesday morning and what is usually nice thick 'nv snow' foam, ended up being watery bubbles. No foaming action.

2 possibilities.

My 15yr old karcher has a problem

Or

The bowdens foam cannon has a problem.

First question is how much water pressure is needed to produce the foam?

The karcher was pulsing a bit when turned on but before pulling the trigger, so possibly an internal leak?? Once the trigger was pulled out sounded fine and while the pressure may have been down it was still fairly decent. If i removed the bowdens gun from the bottle, there was plenty of suction at the tube that goes in to the solution.

The bowdens foam gun is my primary suspect. I do the wheels first and the first wheel foamed up normal. It then went pear shaped and didn't foam. Occasionally showed signs of it but mostly just like a straight car wash mix.

Anyone had any success pulling apart either a karcher or a foam gun?

Can't afford replacement items at the moment so really hoping I can resurrect what I've got.

Thanks.
Firstly, foam cannons need less pressure than many think. I got excellent foam from a Karcher K2 which has an "advertised" 1750 psi and 6L/min.

A pressure washer that is pulsing usually means a leak somewhere along the line. The machine will detect a drop in pressure and then activates the pump to bring it back to pressure, the cycle then repeats.

It will be either the gun that is leaking past the seals, the hose or an internal failure. The fact it maintains pressure when running would probably rule out the pump, which is good because most Karchers are sealed pumps and not serviceable.

My Karcher, which is also 15 years old, was surging a bit here and there. Because the hose burst, I had to replace the gun/hose assembly in one unit, from then the surging stopped. So, you have done well to get 15 years out of the gun.

The foam cannon on the other hand should be serviceable. Check out this page for Bowden's specific information. I'm willing to bet it has an internal blockage or the mesh screen that creates the form needs a clean -

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/blog/s...ssembly-guide/

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/guides...me-extra-tips/

I hope that helps.
Mustang GT

Old 21-04-2023, 08:11 PM   #2430
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfets View Post
Thanks DFB. That is really helpful.
The one reason I'm thinking Gerni is because I can get that at my local Bunnings and I have around $400 worth of Bunnings vouchers that I could burn on it.

I was thinking of getting this gun kit :
https://detailingshed.com.au/product...-premium-kit-2

I already have a foam lance. Two actually. I have the original one from Waxit, and I also have the newer NV foamstorm one. In order to use them with the MTM gun , I'll need to get some 3/8 QC connectors though. I think Waxit does sell that for both of those cannons. That should work right?
Gotcha.

If you select the Gerni attachment, it will include what is required to adapt the MTM gun to the proprietary Gerni hose outlet.

You would then need two 1/4 Quick Connect plugs to adapt your current foam cannons. (I would also stick with MTM for this part, the generic Waxit ones are crap) -

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...qc-plug-1-4mpt
https://www.waxit.com.au/collections...31708944793689

Other options -

MTM SG 35 - avoid, this one lacks the swivel function.

MTM Aqualine SGS 35 - avoid, too bulky/heavy and more expensive.

Mosmatic Original - this is very similar to the SGS 28, just more expensive.

Mosmatic OG Spec - the ultimate. Incrementally better than the SGS 28 and Mosmatic Original. The big benefits are the better quality quick connect fittings and the reduced bulk owing to the integrated swivel fitting. I run this gun and love it.

https://detailingshed.com.au/product...veling-sprayer

Mustang GT