Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 28-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #31
Junkie
Chilli Orange

Default Re: Spare Wheel Well?

I have had a car with a Space Saver before, and I am just sick of having to change a tyre twice when I get a puncture.....
So, prefer the alloy.
But, if it doesn't come easy, then a steel will have to do.
Definitly not going to buy it from ford.
I will be keeping my eyes peeled at wreckers for the same ones I have.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #32
Caydus

Now that i've got a spare in the back, there's no where for me to put the air pump, jack, towing eye and wrench, so i put it all in a big plastic box i carry around in the back.
Now when i go around corners, i just hear it thumping around in the back, which is not encouraging...

So how do you guys manage your mic tools in the back with a spare tyre?
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #33
Fiestaman

You can get a foam insert from your Ford dealer for $26 and this is for the Fiesta and fits neatly over the ridge in the wheel well. Holds jack, wheel brace and towing eye plus you can squeeze the petrol filler funnel under the brace. Keeps everything from rattling around!
Unfortunately the WS tie-down per Ford dealer does not reach the hole because the tyre is a 185 and I presume this part was made for a 175 tyre. However I have a Focus part coming next week that I think will fit and if it does I will let you know the part no.

(See attached photos of the foam insert)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car tools 001 (Small).jpg (57.1 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Car tools 003 (Medium).jpg (53.4 KB, 145 views)
Fiestaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #34
Fiestaman

Forgot to mention in reply above that the jack is from a Ford Ka which fits the sill of the Fiesta and I got in unused condition from a breakers yard.
Fiestaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #35
Caydus

damn :(

I'm using a bottle jack i got off SuperCheap and my spare is flipped upside down, so the outside of the tyre is facing down.

But might see about playing with spare bits of foam or even rags.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #36
Caydus

So here are a few pics of how it fit together.

Also, just wanna ask whether those nuts for alloys will work for the steel rim? The guy i bought the lock nuts off said they'll be just fine, but it just sounds a bit dubious given the taper on these bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0330.JPG (124.1 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Caydus; 13-04-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #37
somers181

The wheel nuts with my alloys might work on the steel rims if you dont drive over 20km/h and not more than 10kms........... i got the spare wheel nuts off the steel rims when i got my car from Ford for that reason.......... I am selling the steel rims with original wheel nuts and plastic dress cover for $20 each if you are interested....... pick up from Blacktown or Homebush in Sydney or courier at your costs...........
Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #38
AG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus
Now that i've got a spare in the back, there's no where for me to put the air pump, jack, towing eye and wrench, so i put it all in a big plastic box i carry around in the back.
Now when i go around corners, i just hear it thumping around in the back, which is not encouraging...

So how do you guys manage your mic tools in the back with a spare tyre?
In the Philippines we also get the Thai-made Fiesta.
All Philippine spec Fiesta models come with a spare tire on 14 inch steel wheels.

I believe the jack and other tools should be under the spare wheel which is secured from the center.

Last edited by AG3; 10-04-2011 at 08:40 PM.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #39
Junkie
Chilli Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus
So here are a few pics of how it fit together.

Also, just wanna ask whether those nuts for alloys will work for the steel rim?
Alloy wheels nuts do not allow the alloy wheel to touch the stud threads.

If you use alloy nuts on the steel wheel, the wheel will be able to move concentrically onto the stud threads.
i.e.using Alloy nuts on Steel wheels will cause thread damage, and also not allow the wheel to stay centered.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #40
Junkie
Chilli Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by somers181
I am selling the steel rims with original wheel nuts and plastic dress cover for $20 each if you are interested....... pick up from Blacktown or Homebush in Sydney or courier at your costs...........
Do they come with tyres?
Old 11-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #41
somers181

Sorry, no tyres.
For $20.00 each plus wheel nuts and dress rim you are getting a pretty good bargain, you can pick up a fairly cheap tyre for $50........
Old 13-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #42
kboukes

probably going abotu this the wrong way but I too am after a spare to put in my CL wheel well or even just in the boot incase of emergency. Have a jack too, whats the best way to go about getting a spare CL tyre?

Suggestions anyone? Or just troll the bob-janes asking if theres any spare tyres around?
kboukes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #43
Caydus

In my experience, alot of wheel/tyre places don't have 15" wheels with this particular bolt pattern, they would just flat out say no. It's annoying and a time consuming process to go looking for one at a random wheel place.

IMO, somer's deal is pretty damn good, $20 for the steel rim and the bolts. Just have a 185/55 cheap tyre fitted to it and you're good to chuck it in the back.

I'm not going it for it personally just cause i dont have anywhere to put the rim and don't really need it anymore.
Old 13-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #44
kboukes

yeah i might just wait a few months till i chuck a full new set of alloys and tyres and buy an extra or something... sell my cl tyres and wheels to needy owners, lol!
kboukes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #45
ScoobyDoo
Starter Motor

I'll have some CL steel wheels/covers (15's) to get rid of shortly if anyone is interested. (In Brisbane).

Like the other seller - $20.00 each.

Just PM if interested.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #46
Junkie
Chilli Orange

OK, all that stuff up above about requiring different nuts for the steel wheels...
Load of croc!

Sorry to put everyone off the track.
But I have now got myself a spare wheel, jack, and brace.

The nuts from the wt fiesta are a tapered nut, so actually also fit the steel wheel.

It's actually a two part nut, that allows the tightening bit to turn while the taper bit embeds on the alloy but does not rotate.

Jack and brace i got from a local wreckers for $25.
The jack slot fits over the front seam nicely but have to put it next to the rear seam.

Can also confirm the following for a WT Fiesta hatch:

- it is 4 x 100 - Tyre dude said that this PCD is much more common for after market wheels than the 4 x 108 - Probably why Ford changed.

- full size 185x55 R15 fits in the wheel well, and the boot trim sits down perfectly.

- The Contis that come with the car are 86 rated, and 86's are few and far between. Quote for a spare Conti (Tyre only) was $225... Ouch.

Still on the look out for one standard WT LX alloy and some way of fixing the tyre in the wheel well.

Junkie.
Old 23-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #47
Caydus

Shortly after this thread drew to a close I did get a spare wheel. A spare steel rim with a stock conti tyre, did about 7kms to get from the dealership to the tyre place.
I know, not the best deal but was fed up and wanted it over and done with.

Sits in the well fine. But it does sit high and lifts the boot floor about 2cm higher than what it would usually be.
Placed it in "inside up" and ford had a bolt with a plastic washer made up during my 1500km service.

Got some free nuts from a mechanic friend.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #48
maxzi64
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: Spare Wheel Well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo
I'll have some CL steel wheels/covers (15's) to get rid of shortly if anyone is interested. (In Brisbane).

Like the other seller - $20.00 each.

Just PM if interested.
May need those if I buy the FIESTA
Will let u know!
maxzi64 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #49
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by somers181
You do realise that once you have used the gunk your tyre needs to be replaced, you are only supposed to drive on it short term, max 80km/hr and have it replaced asap. So if you are driving on high performance tyres its going to cost you to replace them each time you have a flat........ sorry but thats not acceptable to me.................

I know this is a late posting by me, but this quote is a load of crock.

Providing the tyre hasn't been run flat, all that is required is the gunk washed out (whole 5 minute job) and the hole repaired. Then the tyre is perfectly safe to drive on. Oh and cost is the cost of a normal puncture repair.

For what it's worth, I reckon they should ban this gunk crap. It can be dangerous driving on a tyre that has gone flat and not inspected internally prior to re-fitting

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #50
Donna
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Spare Wheel Well?

Help please,

Will a 16 inch wheel fit into the fiesta WT ZETEC diesel wheel well?. If so where can one be purchased? Where can a suitable jack etc be purchased. I travel mostly on the highway and often after dark. Don't feel safe without full sized wheel as spare

Any advice please. Have been told a 14 inch is ok. i don't understand how this could be
Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #51
DreadlyST

Wow, where has this thread been mined from!

There is some seriously bad info in here, a bottle jack in a fiesta is useless, there is four points for jacking on a fez and fiestas come from factory with the specific jack that is required to fit those points and bear the load, fiestas have always been like this, had my first one, an mk3 model 10 -15 years ago, had same jack and jack points, mind you the spare sat under the car on that model.
The rubbish about nuts not fitting, is a joke, alloy nuts fit steel wheels but will usually not work other way around due to the recess's in the alloy wheels where the nut goes, you might find that the factory wheel brace may not fit aftermarket nuts!

Donna, the 14" space saver you have already will do fine, the jack and wheel brace should be located underneath the wheel, in the wheel well. If not go to a wreckers and get one out of a wrecked fiesta or Ka, The space saver spare wheel is a temporary fix, designed for weight saving, = better economy, and as long as it's on the car you will remember to get the punctured one repaired. I have seen it happen on more than 1 occasion in the past where a mate who carried a full size spare alloy which matched the rest, gets a flat only to go to the boot to find that he never got the last puncture repaired, as put it in and forgot about it!
And another thing before you bother yourself with this trivial matter, How many punctures have you got in the past, and do you have a phone number for NRMA!!! She'll be right!!
DreadlyST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #52
Donna
Starter Motor

Thank you Dreadly ST for your advice.

The whole wheel thing is an issue because I live in a rural area and travel a highway to and from work often late at night. Don't want to get stuck having to do 80 kms going to and from work at 10 pm (round trip is 90 plus kms to work and back).

I believe a 15 inch steel with a tyre to make up some of the difference and placed on a rear wheel will allow travel at 100 kms to give me time to have punctured one repaired (and will fit in wheel well). I don't understand why manufacturers cannot provide better options. Not everyone lives 5 mins from a repairer.

You are right about the punctures. Have had only 2 in 10 years. Now I no longer live in the city the thought of a puncture at midnight on the highway in a rural area is a worrying one. Belt and braces approach.

Cheers
Donna
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post