Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Luge to go ahead after death

Luge to go ahead after death
Updated: 07:17, Sunday February 14, 2010

Quote:
The start of the men's Olympic luge competition has been moved farther down the track.

International luge officials say the decision was made primarily with the emotional component in mind following the death of a Georgian competitor.

The same officials reiterated that the lightning-fast track is safe enough for competition.

An extra session of men's training, as well as all four runs of the men's event - two on Saturday, two on Sunday will begin from the women's start ramp.

It means speeds, at least for the men, will be a bit lower at the Whistler Sliding Track, where 21-year-old Nodar Kumaritashvili crashed and died in a training run on Friday.

The decision to change the start's location seemed to have the desired effect.

None of the 36 sliders who took a sixth practice run broke 145 kph (90 mph) after speeds surpassed 153 kph (95 mph) earlier in the week.

Other changes were made overnight, including raising the wall at Curve 16, the area where Kumaritasvili crashed, and some modifications to the surface of the ice itself.

When training resumed from the lower start, American luger Tony Benshoof the first man to slide in the session navigated the track without incident.
Such a shame for this to happen, you wouldnt think going to represent your country thinking your going to die
RIP

Old 14-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The Winter Olympics seems to have events that are considerably more riskier for serious and life threatening injury than the summer Olympics.

While I'm not up on luge and bobsled other than when it's on the Olympics, it did seem a real bad idea to have pylons so close to the track and the first time I've ever seen it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just tried to slap that bug under your username off my screen... :O

It has been said this is the fastest course ever built, makes me wonder when they will reach the limit...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

All i can say about the competitors in this sport is that they are nuts!!
Old 14-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We all take risks in life for the things we enjoy.... Hindsight is a wondrous thing but its not going to bring back his life
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Very sad incident but it is a dangerous sport after all.
That being said I am not sure making the men start from the womens start (3 turns further down the track) was a good move. This was a tragic accident, these guys come off all the time. Luge, Skeleton, Bobsled are my favourite events to watch.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post