Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-09-2007, 01:40 AM   #1
kuans

Default Dunlop SP Sport Maxx on 205/50/17s

http://www.dunloptyres.com.au/dun_subpage.jsp?xcid=1211

Hello everyone…
I’m chasing feedback if anyone has used the dunlops on their cars? I hear that they’re a lot quieter than the factory Goodyears NCT5… and performance is not far from what they claim to be.

What about pricing? How much were you quoted for the dunlops?

Thanks for replying...

kuans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Not sure on the Dunlop's mate as i personally have Conti-Sport Contacts.... which are good.

But i do hear that the Dunlop's are good all round tyres. and dont kill the bank too much.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

The Polo GTI's come with Continental cc2's, which suffer from extremely soft sidewalls.
This equates lots of tyre wall roll through corners and people keep getting bubbles in the sidewalls and obviously have to replace the tyre.

For some time the GTI's came with Dunlop SP sport MAXX (205/45/16) I can tell you now that the differences between these two tyres are immense.
Sidewall is alot stiffer in the dunlop, they brake VERY well, they turn in well, they hold their line far better than the continentals aswell. Overall a very impressive tyre and its reflected in comparisons. SP sport always comes out pretty much at the top.

However, i may try a different brand when they come up for replacement. I may be upsizing to 17inch wheels, if i do then ill be using michelin pp2's as i hear these are fantastic and quite possibly that one step up from the SP MAXX.

If i were you i would have no hesitation in fitting the SP sport maxx to your car. they are great. But mine seem to be struggling for straight line grip now...
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
The Polo GTI's come with Continental cc2's, which suffer from extremely soft sidewalls.
This equates lots of tyre wall roll through corners and people keep getting bubbles in the sidewalls and obviously have to replace the tyre.

For some time the GTI's came with Dunlop SP sport MAXX (205/45/16) I can tell you now that the differences between these two tyres are immense.
Sidewall is alot stiffer in the dunlop, they brake VERY well, they turn in well, they hold their line far better than the continentals aswell. Overall a very impressive tyre and its reflected in comparisons. SP sport always comes out pretty much at the top.

However, i may try a different brand when they come up for replacement. I may be upsizing to 17inch wheels, if i do then ill be using michelin pp2's as i hear these are fantastic and quite possibly that one step up from the SP MAXX.

If i were you i would have no hesitation in fitting the SP sport maxx to your car. they are great. But mine seem to be struggling for straight line grip now...
Ahh okay.. didnt really know that the Dunlops where better than the Contis.. havent tried them out personally. but would of thought that the Contis would of been better due to all the RAVES ppl give them..

ill test and see what they go like before i give judgment.

Btw Mitch.. come to the EFC cruise on the 6th October. damo and i are trying to get all the original crew back together....

Old 21-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
BrisVegas
Noobie

anyone know pricing on the Dunlops in 205/50R17 for Focus Zetec?
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

wouldnt know dude, tyre shop might be the place to ask

October the 6th, well that is my weekend off. I think that might just be a good idea. Where is the cruise going?
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 23-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
wouldnt know dude, tyre shop might be the place to ask

October the 6th, well that is my weekend off. I think that might just be a good idea. Where is the cruise going?
your worst enemy.. South

Old 24-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Bastards, You do realise its like a one and a half hour drive to the northern parts of sydney. then another hour drive through sydney and then like another hour south,

Thats bs ! :P

Loads of fun :
Old 24-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Bastards, You do realise its like a one and a half hour drive to the northern parts of sydney. then another hour drive through sydney and then like another hour south,

Thats bs ! :P
better leave early?

Old 27-09-2007, 02:13 AM   #10
nlfbt8

Just on the pricing ... had a set of the Sportmaxx 215/45/R17 fitted to my partner's LR Focus the other day, at $312 a corner. This is in SA, and I'm pretty certain that we get shafted for tyre pricing, so that might be a little bit more expensive than most states.

The handling is very nice though ;)
nlfbt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #11
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

That's roughly what I've paid for Goodyear Eagle F1's in exactly the same size. Not cheap
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #12
whippet_zetec
Supes

ME $300 a corner.....I dont drive my Foci hard enough to think I need fantastic tyres....lol...going a cheaper option for me I think.
Old 27-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

My Contisport Contact where 300 a tyre.

The Toyo T1-R 225/40/R18 are 307 which will probably go on the RS wheels. As soon as i figure out weather they will rub or not. other wise me thinks me shall keep the 17". But the RS wheels would look great.

So can any1 answer that? will 225/40/R18 scrub on a standard LR? the size of the wheels are 18x8 with a stud pattern of 4x108 which we all know.

Old 27-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #14
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Anyone had a look at the Bridgestone Adrenalins? They are very good value and replaced the GIII and S-03, and going by my GIII I would highly recommend them.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post