Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Are "classic" car prices sustainable

Buy it,drive it, enjoy it.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO View Post
Old cars will sustain prices simply because you can no longer get them.
Depends what it is, demand ,brand ect ect

Ive got a 50s landrover tray back,had the holden six conversion, mostly complete ,its driveable tho ....
It was given to me ......
Not a month or two ago ...
I use it around the property collecting firewood
Once it doesn't,wont go,its off to sims
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #33
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
Depends what it is, demand ,brand ect ect

Ive got a 50s landrover tray back,had the holden six conversion, mostly complete ,its driveable tho ....
It was given to me ......
Not a month or two ago ...
I use it around the property collecting firewood
Once it doesn't,wont go,its off to sims
Exactly. Just because something is old and rare, doesn't make it desirable.

As time goes on, and with every new generation, the group that desire these classics becomes smaller and smaller.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #34
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we just had our annual car show today and this year was the biggest yet,heaps of people through the gate and a lot of younger people.good to see so many young chicks getting in on the scene.if anyone thinks the muscle car era is gone or is going to lie down a die a slow death you better get yourself to a good car show because they aint going anywhere soon.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #35
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

I don't think that muscle cars will ever die. Prices of which are another matter. Are those chicks going to plonk down $70000?
Old 19-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #36
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you don't need to plonk down $70k... only plonkers do that..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #37
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

You know what I mean smarty.
Old 19-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as soon as you aint talking GT or GTS.. affordable classic car ownership opens right up..
4 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #39
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to Hagerty Insurance (America's largest classic car insurer), the average value of classic American cars increased 9% in the first quarter of 2013.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #40
renegadeous

Cars as Investments? ROFL. It is nostalgia. But it could be a young fella working with dad on the old girl on a Saturday right now that sets it up for the future for the current breed. I think we need to remember a few things.
1) Times have changed. Cars are throw away items now every 4 years
2) Most of us on the other side of 40 spent our time tinkering with what ever crapbox we had to keep it running while drooling at what we didn't we were young fellas
3) The old Holden Ford rivalry. Will it exist in years to come. It's hard to pick a Holden from a Ford in the V8 supercars, and now the introduction of new makes. Bit different to when Jones and Johnson were around in the green xd versus brocky in either his commodore or torana.
4) You really gotta know what you are doing to tinker with the new cars, but it's all about chips, drifting, revs rather than tuning the carby.
5) Branding. There were only two real car companies back in the day.

But, come on I don't care who you are male female 15 or 50. The sound of a V8 muscle car. Now that will never decline in value and will never be matched. Just like the appeal of a 57 chevy convertible is for different reasons. Unique lines and the roof down.

And remember Mad Max 4 is coming out next year.... The V8 interceptor will be back for the Gen Y's.....
I love ebay !! I love buying a car through the post. I love the challenge of the jigsaw pieces (at $200 a part). I love it when people list a part as fitting a van, sedan or coupe. I love it even more when you pick up a part and they honestly cant remember if it came from a coupe or a sedan. I love my wife carrying a bumperbar up the hill to put in the car after I got it delivered to her work. Yeah Yeah. No better way to rebuild a car..
renegadeous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #41
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with classic cars is that you have a very small market. This market gets smaller each year. The people who own the classics cars think they are worth 10 times more than what they actually are.

Yes these cars may sound and look good, turn heads, but these cars are not practical today. The average person just wants a car to go to A to B as cheap as possible without breaking down, Classic cars are the complete opposite.

The next 10 to 20 years, I think classics will drop, due to a flood of cars being on the market. It is mainly people who are ages 40 50 60 own these cars. Once these people start dyeing, many classic cars will be put back into the market. The market will have to many cars around.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #42
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

classics as dailys are only impractical to soft people that miss their fluffy seats and aircons..

ffs they were once upon a time dailys as in the family car....

un reliable I call bs..

they may take a bit more loving but that's easily achieved and not over the head of someone with basic mech skills..
Old 20-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #43
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
as soon as you aint talking GT or GTS.. affordable classic car ownership opens right up..
Correct .....
My matching numbered V8 XC Fairmont Rally pak,was driveable and regoed when bought 5 years ago,cost less than a grand
Poor old girl sits there all unloved ATM ....
I just bought the wife a convertible veedub ,early 70s for a tad over a grand,all engineered ,running,driving
Both these cars will be on the road,regoed,for under 5 grand a piece,with lots of change
The dub should be around 2500 on the road ......

Be prepared to roll the sleeves up, don't be in a rush ,don't pay premium prices,if you can,and most things can be done within a reasonable budget

Most fellas who put new over old,they have their reasons,but most young fellas these days couldn't change a wheel .....
Sad but most today just aren't mechanical minded ,heavens forbid they get there nails dirty
Old 20-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #44
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
The problem with classic cars is that you have a very small market. This market gets smaller each year. The people who own the classic cars think they are worth 10 times more than what they actually are.
100% correct
Old 20-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #45
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
classics as dailys are only impractical to soft people that miss their fluffy seats and aircons..

un reliable I call bs..

they may take a bit more loving but that's easily achieved and not over the head of someone with basic mech skills..
This is true too. However, I love my P6, but will not drive it as a daily.
Old 20-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #46
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on what it is and how importers treat the supply.

Look at Mustangs...they used to be pretty expensive, but then every man and his dog started importing them, especially since they changed the laws and you are allowed to register a LHD one freely. A bit over five years ago when I was looking for a second car, I looked at a six cylinder 1967 Mustang on the Gold Coast...auto, aftermarket under-dash air con that had been regassed for modern gas, pretty good condition with only a bit of paint fade, but no rust, and registered in Queensland LHD...and it was only $19,000. I was sorely tempted to bust my self-imposed budget and buy that car.
Other adverts were around for ones with solid bodies but ratty paint, ready to be registered and complied, for just over twenty grand. Bargain.
Unless it's something truly staggering, Mustang prices are still sensible...after all, it's not like they're actually a rare car in the USA, even the old ones...they've always been a big seller and there are plenty around. Couple that with the fact most of the mechanicals on the old ones are just Falcon stuff basically, and they're a good choice for an old classic.

As said above...don't be afraid to spend a lot less money on something if it will only mean the paint might be a bit tired and the interior a bit tatty...as long as it's registered (or complied and ready to register...that's all that really matters if you can get your hands on your dream car without selling a kidney or something equally drastic...

Quote:

un reliable I call bs..

Another very good comment...they were family cars once. Absolutely no reason why they can't be used as such now, and some people do. When we had our '57 Morris Minor as a second car, we used it as a daily driver, often driving it more than the "good" car we had sitting at home. As long as it isn't something that parts are unobtainable or something, why not?
Hell, go back further, and some people actually still use restored Model A Fords as regular use family cars...
Our second car, the 1982 Celica, gets used regularly...very regularly. It's got air con, it's fun to drive, and costs bugger all to keep on the road.

They're only "rubbish" if your expectations are set way too high...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #47
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

un reliable I call bs..

Totally agree ...
Many look at something dragged from a paddock when saying old is rubbish
But get something that's looked after,and the daily grind is a walk in the park
My daily is a 97 patrol,old compared to what many have in the drive, but have spent just over 1500 on it in 5 years (grand for tyres,500 for a radiator)
5 years of driving every 2nd day,usually a lot of Ks and usually towing a few tonne for 5 years,at that minimal cost of repairs
A service on a new car can cost more than a grand ......
Old 20-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #48
RAPID_BA
Banned

its easy to work out which cars will be the most desired as time passes..

There is a few elements to working this out..

1. They must be popular at the time they were in production, so everyone and his dog could have one.
2. People need to build memories with them, raise a family in one, race them or own for a longer period. Kids grown up in one etc.
3. They have to be functionally great to own, fun factor, good looker etc

My pic for future collectables is....

1. B-series XR and GT/F6
2. Holden Monaro CV6/8 and HSV GTO/Coupe4
3. E-series XR8
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #49
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
its easy to work out which cars will be the most desired as time passes..

There is a few elements to working this out..

1. They must be popular at the time they were in production, so everyone and his dog could have one.
2. People need to build memories with them, raise a family in one, race them or own for a longer period. Kids grown up in one etc.
3. They have to be functionally great to own, fun factor, good looker etc

My pic for future collectables is....

1. B-series XR and GT/F6
2. Holden Monaro CV6/8 and HSV GTO/Coupe4
3. E-series XR8
I would add that they have to be good cars at the time, but ones which Joe Average Motorist won't, generally speaking, attach a life-long love affair with and just use, then trade in, and move on to other things.
That way, in twenty years time, if you are the one with a low kilometer mint condition one (whatever that may be) yours will be the one people are lining up to buy, as it triggers the strongest memories. Think of the number of tatty and rusty XB/XC Falcons and Kingswoods that still infest the roads...you probably forget them as soon as you see them.
Now think back to the last really nice and clean one you saw, still in good original condition...that one you will remember and desire...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #50
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I would add that they have to be good cars at the time, but ones which Joe Average Motorist won't, generally speaking, attach a life-long love affair with and just use, then trade in, and move on to other things.
That way, in twenty years time, if you are the one with a low kilometer mint condition one (whatever that may be) yours will be the one people are lining up to buy, as it triggers the strongest memories. Think of the number of tatty and rusty XB/XC Falcons and Kingswoods that still infest the roads...you probably forget them as soon as you see them.
Now think back to the last really nice and clean one you saw, still in good original condition...that one you will remember and desire...
Agree, but when are people gunna drive the darn things they way they were intended,not pamper like there gold on wheels ....
People in the 70s and 80s used the GT,monaros,coupes and others filled with more than legally allowed, filled to the roof and beyond,used and abused
Not like many now who are too scared for fear of negative feed back from those who probably cant afford the toy in the first place ......
I mentioned club rego to the minister for the dub .....
I nearly got booted up the butt so hard, "Its full rego,drive when I want ,its for driving, not looking at "
Old 20-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #51
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I nearly got booted up the butt so hard, "Its full rego,drive when I want ,its for driving, not looking at "
As a pensioner both vehicles have full registration and comprehensive insurance etc. It was my decision to buy the second one so, as I don't drink or smoke or go out with bad women (boring life) I need at least one vice and the cars fill that gap.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #52
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Well here's my 2-cents....

Classic Cars in general are not very good 'investments' in the long run. Once you've calculated the cost of keeping (rego, insurance, maintenance, etc) as well as the fluctuating demand on makes/models, and the added variable of the global financial woes, you're probably better off putting the money in the bank.... or buying gold, a house, something else.

HOWEVER - being that you're a petrolhead (hey - we're on a motoring forum) then you'll get much more enjoyment out of a classic car than you will a bank account or a house...

Nobody forecast the massive spike in Aussie cars in 2007/2008, otherwise we'd have all bought Phase IIIs or XA/XB/XC Coupes 2 years earlier.... And my personal thought is that those kind of unusual spikes simply won't happen again...

Baby Boomers reliving their youth were the driving force of the boom... Those who were finally able to afford the cars they wish they'd owned back in the day (or were revisiting and finding cars similar to the cars they owned when they were young) and were paying any price to secure that nostalgic memory or achieving their dream.

It's unlikely that those born in the 70s and 80s will have the same drive/want/dreams as those who came before - but of course there are those who go against the trend. The cars from the 80s haven't been as valuable as the 70s cars (look how relatively cheap you can buy an XE ESP or a VC/VH brock commodore) and i'm not sure that the 90s plastic classics like Tickford Falcons and early HSVs will ever be that sought after...
(Remember - a VR HSV Clubsport was pumping out about 185kw... the same sort of power as today's Nissan Maxima 3.5 or less than a Toyota Aurion)

My feeling is if you want to own a classic car, get out and own one! They are like time machines from whatever year they are manufactured. They take you back to a place when things were more simple, in less of a rush, and where the driver 'actually' drove the car and experienced the bumps, the rattles and rolls.

There will always be those who seek to invest, and there will always be those who seek to profiteer, but the majority of us will always have a love for all things old...

I know when I'm out and about in an old 'clunker' and see another fellow old car lover, I'll tilt my hat, wave my hand, and acknowledge that they share the same passion.

And I don't care if its a $1,000 jalopy, or a $300k+ muscle car, you're still experiencing the joy of driving an old car.

Rant over.......
Old 20-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #53
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agree, but when are people gunna drive the darn things they way they were intended,not pamper like there gold on wheels ....
People in the 70s and 80s used the GT,monaros,coupes and others filled with more than legally allowed, filled to the roof and beyond,used and abused
Not like many now who are too scared for fear of negative feed back from those who probably cant afford the toy in the first place ......
Probably because in the 70's and 80's they were new enough to be worth nothing yet not old enough to look after. Plus in the 70's and 80's we were kids and would do stupid stuff, which leads to the scarcity today of these models leading the their value. Today when they are purhased they are purchased at significantly higher prices and for most of us that warrants a degree of care. I use mine but don't abuse them last thing I want is to wrap 80K around a lamp post or drop in a ditch. Thats what BA-G falcons are for. thin them out so they become rare and expensive...

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #54
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Probably because in the 70's and 80's they were new enough to be worth nothing yet not old enough to look after. Plus in the 70's and 80's we were kids and would do stupid stuff, which leads to the scarcity today of these models leading the their value. Today when they are purhased they are purchased at significantly higher prices and for most of us that warrants a degree of care. I use mine but don't abuse them last thing I want is to wrap 80K around a lamp post or drop in a ditch. Thats what BA-G falcons are for. thin them out so they become rare and expensive...

JP
You mean stupid stuff like wind a turbo up to about 500psi or stick a supercharger on a N/A V8 and then flog them up every chance they get?
Or do you mean muck about with the suspension and attach bling wheels and after market body kits?
Luckily that does not happen now with BAs and BFs.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #55
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah that and trying to race your mate around the corner in the wet or showing your other mate the fully sick handling of the handbrake, or installing than mega-bass stereo without a soldering iron, or lowering it by cutting springs and all that other stuff young predominately male drivers try out. The newer falcons are becoming more affordable to P-platers as such will start becoming rarer...
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #56
RAPID_BA
Banned

I saw the other day a old lady at woolworths chucking her shopping in the boot of a XB Coupe. Looked in pretty reasonable condition in yellow.

If I stopped and offered her $1500 for it, she probably would have jumped at it and ran for the hills.

Might wait for it next week, buy it and sell it on for $15,000+
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #57
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont go dragging thread OT with your shopping centre fantasies hulk
5 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #58
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
I saw the other day a old lady at woolworths chucking her shopping in the boot of a XB Coupe. Looked in pretty reasonable condition in yellow.

If I stopped and offered her $1500 for it, she probably would have jumped at it and ran for the hills.

Might wait for it next week, buy it and sell it on for $15,000+
On the pipe or the mushrooms this week?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #59
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

There are a heap of classic cars for sale. Your 'investment' is totally up to you.

On an almost weekly basis I scour the vintage / collector car section on Ebay online. Some very nice cars, the ones that invoke stories from the older people on how they had one growing up, the ones that turn heads when you drive past, the ones that make people come up to you while refuelling and break into conversation etc etc.

Heaps of cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Stuff that you don't see every day but still brings a smile to your face.

Minis, Austin Healy, MG, Early small Fords, Vauxhall, Early larger Holden / Ford, Morris, Austin, Valiant, Chrysler, Early Honda / Datsun / Toyota / Mazda cars, Humber, Early Jag / Damlier, Early VW, Early French cars....

The list is endless...

Take a look for yourself:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Collector..._skc=100&rt=nc

Some very nice cars to be had

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #60
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
The problem with classic cars is that you have a very small market. This market gets smaller each year. The people who own the classics cars think they are worth 10 times more than what they actually are.

Yes these cars may sound and look good, turn heads, but these cars are not practical today. The average person just wants a car to go to A to B as cheap as possible without breaking down, Classic cars are the complete opposite.

The next 10 to 20 years, I think classics will drop, due to a flood of cars being on the market. It is mainly people who are ages 40 50 60 own these cars. Once these people start dyeing, many classic cars will be put back into the market. The market will have to many cars around.
So, do you own a Classic car ? I didn't buy and restore my 3 cars to be practical, how boring. And I know the value of them and I know the market has fallen and you know what ? I couldn't give a stuff. But I bet I get more enjoyment jumping in an old school V8 than you get probly driving your little Prius........