Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #31
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 
Default Re: Are cars REALLY getting smaller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
You're right! One too few zeros

Or I meant the unit of measure to be cm, not mm

Either way, 40cm/400mm is not really very much when you consider the first impressions one would have of seeing both vehicles individually.

Craig H
Ummm... It's almost half a metre mate! I hope you aren't a tradie
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #32
Hawkeye84

Small & Medium cars have gotten bigger and new segments have been created (micro, city, cross over, etc).

Its a heavily segmented market with a lot of players. Unfortunately for cars like Falcon and commodores who have remain relatively unchanged, they are losing out because people are happy with the value and size that these smaller (big) cars have to offer.

Falcons and Commodores are pretty much stuck in the middle of what are extremely competitive segments: Small/Medium and SUVs
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #33
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
The falcon has NOT become irrelevant, it's just that you can get a car now that is 'big enough' and 'quick enough' for half the price.
For most people that is now the case.
Also, in the past, when people thought "family car" they wanted something big to be safe. Now they look for ABS, DSC, mutliple airbags etc, and you can get all that in a much cheaper (and still roomy) package.

In days of old, I can recall our teacher taking the whole cricket team in his car, and the scout master taking 10 of us camping in his HQ wagon. In those days if you had to give extra kids a lift home, it was 4 across the back seat and a couple in the back of the wagon. Now we wouldn't dream of that, so if you want that flexibility you opt for a 7-seat suv.

So to answer my own question, there probably are a lot more people using something like a Focus as their "family car," so more of these "small" cars are selling, but they are a lot larger than small cars used to be.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #34
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

25 years ago small cars were rubbish handlers, and had no features, AC on a small motor was a fair drain, the only option was a 6cyl local car.
Now, weve progressed somewhat, small cars have all the features previously reserved for large luxury cars for less money.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 01-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
+ - 50cm tolerance
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 12:54 AM   #36
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
25 years ago small cars were rubbish handlers, and had no features, AC on a small motor was a fair drain, the only option was a 6cyl local car.
Now, weve progressed somewhat, small cars have all the features previously reserved for large luxury cars for less money.

25 years ago all cars were rubbish handlers by today's standard.
Could today's worst car actually be better then the best car from that period...hmmm define good... it will outbreak it, be safer than it, use less fuel doing it and handle corners better, rust less...Hmmm

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #37
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Ok, since you wanted to start getting technical, the difference in length between the Focus ST and the 1995-97 model 80 series Landcruiser is exactly 458mm (refs are http://www.ford.com.au/cars/focus/sp...s/spec-options and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser). And, well done, that is nearly half a meter

But have a look at the difference between, say the Ambiente Hatch at 4558mm and the 1990-94 Landy at 4780mm. Just so we get that straight, that is exactly 222mm. For those not familiar with the use of 'yardsticks' that is less than your standard 30cm ruler.

I still think you've missed my point. My point was that people who look at an 80 series Landcruiser would consider that to be a 'land barge'. On the other hand, if they looked at the Focus, they would consider that to be a nice 'little' car.

And for the record, I am not a tradie. Rather I am an engineer, and I think I have a pretty reasonable comprehension of the importance of tolerance factors. But don't let that get in the way of a good story....

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #38
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
.....I still think you've missed my point. My point was that people who look at an 80 series Landcruiser would consider that to be a 'land barge'. On the other hand, if they looked at the Focus, they would consider that to be a nice 'little' car.....
It doesn't matter how you word it - the Landcruiser is a barge.

They are bulky, high, heavy, corner like a barge, difficult to park & can block other road users sight of the road

I've owned one, loved it. Travelled the country. Drove one yesterday, and was reminded of its 'bargeness'
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #39
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I noticed the same thing years ago.
I had parked my HSV VR GTS (1994 model) next to an ED Falcon which was same age but bigger. Anyhow it was parked nose to nose with a then newish Camry (2004) which was noticeably larger than the ED so in turn larger than my HSV.

2001 Congo Green AU 111 XR8 sedan, manual option 2G body kit but now wears the Rebel kit

1997 EL GT Sparkling Burgundy, sunroof, auto.

Our former Tickford cars:

1997 XH11 XR8
1998 AU XR8 manual sedan
1999 AU XR8 manual ute
2002 AU XR8 auto sedan, sunroof
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
While I agree with you its only the current landcruiser that is bigger then the falcon in overall exterior dimensions. They have never been bigger than the Falcon of GM equivalent nor has the Nissan Patrol until again maybe recently. and they are only marginally bigger in width and length and even wheelbase.
The falcon and commode are also configured better such you fit more and more comfortably. and any other SUV or similar is smaller again.
I think much of the migration has been elevated seat position and emasculated men wanting tanks to prove manliness.

JP
I've always agreed with most of your Posts JP

but this one is Not true, My Territory fits more luggage and people comfortably than a Falcon, to suggest otherwise is absurd.
Perhaps other SUV's are not as large but they do offer 3rd row seats.

Proving manliness? you may find Women are the driving force behind SUV's ever heard of a soccer mum?
Myself I prefer the Elevated Position which gives me a better view of the road ahead, and is certainly better for my Back.
If that makes me feel like more of a Man, so be it.
Comment still stands People have migrated from Falcons and Commodores to SUV's before SUV's were on the market they had non problem selling Falcodores
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #41
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Are cars REALLY getting smaller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I've always agreed with most of your Posts JP

but this one is Not true, My Territory fits more luggage and people comfortably than a Falcon, to suggest otherwise is absurd.
Perhaps other SUV's are not as large but they do offer 3rd row seats.

Proving manliness? you may find Women are the driving force behind SUV's ever heard of a soccer mum?
Myself I prefer the Elevated Position which gives me a better view of the road ahead, and is certainly better for my Back.
If that makes me feel like more of a Man, so be it.
Comment still stands People have migrated from Falcons and Commodores to SUV's before SUV's were on the market they had non problem selling Falcodores
Not knocking mate just having the joke about ladymen.
The territory is a great vehicle but based on the falcon I would suggest is larger than the previous models patrol and Landcruiser, which I referenced in my post, which in turn are larger then the prado, entrail and other SUV's et al. and of course I haven't driven or tried to fill them all. But have good experience with Patrols and Cruisers. probably 10 in the family since the early 90's through to about 5 years ago and the falcon is bigger than them. and wagon for wagon I can fit more in the falcon. of course less people due to less seats (third row)
My commentary was really aimed at actual overall size as well rather then internal space. Most people believe them bigger where in fact the big 4WD's were narrower and shorter.
I agree the SUV market is oriented towards the family member carrying the small people (perhaps the majority of which are women I'm not to comment)to and from wherever they go. They also provide the higher driving position which is great for the driver, I agree, not so good for all the other drivers trying to see around, past or across them (personal issues here)
And even soccer mums need to prove their manliness every now and then in traffic.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #42
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Not knocking mate just having the joke about ladymen.
The territory is a great vehicle but based on the falcon I would suggest is larger than the previous models patrol and Landcruiser, ....
JP
The SX Territory was not based on the Falcon, it did use Falcon componentry but the overall basic design was influenced by the BMW X5. Ford purchased two X5 for ideas; one they asses by driving etc, the other they stripped and studied.

Just look at the Territory's front suspension and steering rack location, totally changed from the then current BA.

The Territory was slightly wider than the Falcon, but also shorter. With the interior spacing and structure was all about comfort and useability.

The Territory was marketed as a SUV that was much more refined than a landcruiser or Patrol. And it was not all hype. The driving dynamics was amazing, the manoeuvrable dynamics fantastic due to it's shorter length. All this making it a favourite for both male and female drivers. Our Territory is easier to park than the Honda Accord Euro we have - I put that down to the FWD's disadvantage in lock to lock turns.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #43
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, what were once "small" cars are now larger and roomier, and those that were "little compacts" are now in the same size class as "small" cars of thirty years ago.
However, even modern SUV's are "compact" in outside dimensions because of better packaging...you no longer need a physically large car to have roomy interiors.
Couple this with increasingly tighter car park spaces in a lot of areas and you have a problem.

Twin cabs are a whole other animal...they're large...huge by car standard sometimes...but they're very popular and becoming "normal". They no longer have the turning circle of an oil tanker too, which helps mask their bulk.

Look at a New Mini and a classic Mini. If you can find a picture of them side by side you'll be shocked at how large a new Mini actually is, but it's still a "small car".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #44
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

A Biante forum Fellas old Replica. Now owned by Glenn Everett and a Ford forums members R Spec

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #45
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
The SX Territory was not based on the Falcon, it did use Falcon componentry but the overall basic design was influenced by the BMW X5. Ford purchased two X5 for ideas; one they asses by driving etc, the other they stripped and studied.

Sorry mate, the Tezz is built on a platform spun off the falcon, its different to falc, sure but if there was no falc, there would be no tezz.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 02-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #46
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Sorry mate, the Tezz is built on a platform spun off the falcon, its different to falc, sure but if there was no falc, there would be no tezz.
That's like saying the Porsche is spun off the Beatle. Yes they used the basics, but the design, shape & dynamics are worlds apart. As mentioned; the front suspension was a total redesign, the steering rack relocated, the engine relocated, the floor pan reshaped & shortened, the sheet metal redesigned & new material used, the interior redesigned.

The genes are there but it's grandad & grandson

It's all here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=25080

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=15132

Last edited by johnydep; 02-09-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #47
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
A Biante forum Fellas old Replica.
Is it a 1:1.5 scale model?
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #48
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

"people aren't buying large cars any more,"

This is such BS. Every second car on the road is a Large Car, SUV, 4WD etc etc. There just not buying a Ford or a Holden anymore.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #49
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post

This is such BS. Every second car on the road is a Large Car, SUV, 4WD etc etc. There just not buying a Ford or a Holden anymore.
I don't think that SUV's, 4WD's & Ute's are in the same classification as 'cars'. Though I do see your point.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/305763/n...s-august-2014/

New Car sales for the month -
Small to medium 18404
Large - 3800

New SUV sales for the month -
Small to medium 6504
Large - 5862

Old 03-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #50
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
I don't think that SUV's, 4WD's & Ute's are in the same classification as 'cars'.
They're all passenger vehicles. They don't charge truck rego for RAV4s and Pajeros mate.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #51
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They're all passenger vehicles. They don't charge truck rego for RAV4s and Pajeros mate.
Tell these guys - http://www.caradvice.com.au/305763/n...s-august-2014/ bloody idiots keep segregating those 4WD's, People Movers, Van's & Utes

Can I ask for a refund on my rego for the ute? They keep charging me commercial rates, and I call it a passenger car because it has two seats

Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #52
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
Tell these guys - http://www.caradvice.com.au/305763/n...s-august-2014/ bloody idiots keep segregating those 4WD's, People Movers, Van's & Utes
they're market segments/sub-classifications within passenger vehicles.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #53
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
they're market segments/sub-classifications within passenger vehicles.

That's pretty much what I said - "I don't think that SUV's, 4WD's & Ute's are in the same classification as 'cars'. Though I do see your point."

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post

I don't think that SUV's, 4WD's & Ute's are in the same classification as 'cars'. Though I do see your point.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/305763/n...s-august-2014/

New Car sales for the month -
Small to medium 18404
Large - 3800

New SUV sales for the month -
Small to medium 6504
Large - 5862

Old 03-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #54
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:

That's pretty much what I said - "I don't think that SUV's, 4WD's & Ute's are in the same classification as 'cars'. Though I do see your point."
I'm saying they are in the same classification as 'cars' just different sub-groups. So when they say there were x hundred thousand new 'cars' sold this year, it will include SUVs and utes. Anyway, if you still disagree with that I can't be bothered wasting more time talking about it.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #55
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm saying they are in the same classification as 'cars' just different sub-groups. So when they say there were x hundred thousand new 'cars' sold this year, it will include SUVs and utes. Anyway, if you still disagree with that I can't be bothered wasting more time talking about it.
Yes you have wasted a fair bit of our time debating the obvious, that was clearly stated in the original post

Cars or Vehicles.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:02 AM   #56
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Territory was marketed as a SUV that was much more refined than a landcruiser or Patrol. And it was not all hype. The driving dynamics was amazing, the manoeuvrable dynamics fantastic due to it's shorter length. All this making it a favourite for both male and female drivers. Our Territory is easier to park than the Honda Accord Euro we have - I put that down to the FWD's disadvantage in lock to lock turns.
A bit off topic, but yes, the Terry is an awesome car. Instead of buying a Prado or Patrol that will never go off road, the Terry offers all the advantages, but combines that with superb ride and handling.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #57
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When I was looking at purchasing the ST, I did some comparisons to other cars in overall size. I was surprised to find the ST is almost identical in size to a VL Commodore.

And even more surprising, the ST has a longer and wider wheelbase than an 80 series Landcruiser, and is only 40mm shorter in body length.

When I pull up in the driveway with the ST, the comments are similar to: "wow, look at that cute little thing". I bet if I rocked up in the driveway with an 80 series Landcruiser, it would be more along the lines of "why are you driving that giant beast".

Perceptions are amazing.....

Craig H
80 series also weighs a tonne more than Focus so it is not just perception...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #58
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok, since you wanted to start getting technical, the difference in length between the Focus ST and the 1995-97 model 80 series Landcruiser is exactly 458mm (refs are http://www.ford.com.au/cars/focus/sp...s/spec-options and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser). And, well done, that is nearly half a meter

But have a look at the difference between, say the Ambiente Hatch at 4558mm and the 1990-94 Landy at 4780mm. Just so we get that straight, that is exactly 222mm. For those not familiar with the use of 'yardsticks' that is less than your standard 30cm ruler.

I still think you've missed my point. My point was that people who look at an 80 series Landcruiser would consider that to be a 'land barge'. On the other hand, if they looked at the Focus, they would consider that to be a nice 'little' car.

And for the record, I am not a tradie. Rather I am an engineer, and I think I have a pretty reasonable comprehension of the importance of tolerance factors. But don't let that get in the way of a good story....

Craig H
Why pick a Landcruiser model from 1990s and compare it to a current Focus.
Current 'cruiser dwarfs the Focus and 80 series was huge compared to Laser (focus equivalent) - they all grew over the years but ratios have been maintained.
Land barge is referring to weight, handling and speed rather than just lenght and wheelbase...

Last edited by SumoDog68; 04-09-2014 at 09:31 AM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #59
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Why pick a Landcruiser model from 1990s and compare it to a current Focus.
Current 'cruiser dwarfs the Focus and 80 series was huge compared to Laser (focus equivalent) - they all grew over the years but ratios have been maintained.
Land barge is referring to weigh, handling and speed rather than just lenght and wheelbase...
Yeah it is one thing to make a sausage out of yourself, but then to keep waffling on trying to justify it is just digging a bigger hole.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #60
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
My '69 AMC Javelin looks small compared to a current Corolla.
Not sure about the current model Corolla... but a few years back.. a Corolla Sedan was longer, wider and twice as powerful as an EH Holden !

OK... the two are years apart etc... but in your minds eye a corolla is a "small" car.... and an EH was a "Family" sized car.... but the memory doen't match the reality anymore !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post