Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #1
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

Default Are different brands of fuel really different?

I find this to be interesting, is there a difference between brands of fuel? for example is Caltex Vortex 98 really any different to BP Ultimate 98? At the ports where our fuel is delivered, almost always from Singapore, is it in a more "raw" form and then treated, or additives added depending on which company it is for?

If anyone knows specifics would be great

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
mtbkym01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Are different brands of fuel really different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkym01 View Post
I find this to be interesting, is there a difference between brands of fuel? for example is Caltex Vortex 98 really any different to BP Ultimate 98? At the ports where our fuel is delivered, almost always from Singapore, is it in a more "raw" form and then treated, or additives added depending on which company it is for?

Answered it right there.

Are all cakes the same, they all use flour just add a few different things.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkym01 View Post

You've answered your own question, but 99% of the time motor spirit is brought into Australia without dye and other market-specific additives.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My BF smells after filling up on Caltex 98 or Shell 98 but not on BP 98..for a few days afterwards. i20 doesnt..must be additives...
Old 15-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

The exhausts on my cars are louder when I use Vortex 98.

I know, I must be mad and I possibly am but I swear I hear a significant difference.

My tuners always tell me to use BP Ultimate.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Definitely a difference. The Subaru loves Caltex fuels but hates BP. It will ping on BP and use more of it. Shell fuel is in between the two. Typically in whoop whoop driving from coast to coast there is only BP available...

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The biggest difference is Gull vs the rest. I've been told that while all the other major ones (BP, Caltex etc.) all come from the same refinery at Marsden Point, Gull comes straight from Australia in it's proper form. Though, this might not apply that much to Australia now that I've read what I wrote...

Another thing is the ethanol content. BP Ultimate is 100% pure petrol, but Synergy 8000 is 10% ethanol. And ofc the detergents used by each company varies slightly.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
olfella
Cranky old bastard

I just got the latest Costco catalogue and they have an article on their fuel in that. It is Mobil fuel and Costco add their own 'brew' of additives as it is being loaded into the trucks for transporting to the servos. They say it contains detergents etc. I have been using their fuel for a while now and have no problems.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Does Safeway/Caltex petrol make cars more sluggish and fuel inefficient or is it my imagination? However their LPG seems to be better.

I find Coles / Shell petrol fuel to be the best for power and economy. Their LPG is the opposite and car seems to be running on a mix of LPG and compressed air.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 10:23 PM   #10
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had it explained to me buy a guy from Mobil when I was super paranoid about my engine. He told me it's one same batch of fuel that each company add their additive too. He told me 98 is 98 and any funny stuff I feel driving will be from the tank in the service station and how often the fuel there get's refreshed.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
I've had it explained to me buy a guy from Mobil when I was super paranoid about my engine. He told me it's one same batch of fuel that each company add their additive too. He told me 98 is 98 and any funny stuff I feel driving will be from the tank in the service station and how often the fuel there get's refreshed.
Well if they all add their own additive, they are all different then aren't they!!!

Shell is different then BP because thay add different stuff to the base, just like Pepsi is different than Coke because they add different stuff to their sugary water.
Old 16-11-2015, 12:07 AM   #12
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Costco have been adding an oxygenate or similar but had problems recently and sent me an email apologising. Use their 98 or BP Ultimate when away.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #13
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

Ok, so different brands of fuel are different. So does everyone prefer to use the same brand all the time, or doesn't it really matter?

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
mtbkym01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use BP or Caltex, never use Shell.

Alot of friends are similar, my car seems to run rougher on Shell, as well as creating soot all over the back of the car.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

in my fg NA 6cyl I consistently get 50km less per tank if I use woolworths ULP Vs any other regular ULP i have used. I find BP 98 to be the best for power and economy and Vortex 98 next best.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

The pinky, purple look of normal unleaded is getting phased out. Soon unleaded will look yellow like premium unleaded. Little bit of useless industry info for ya.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #17
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
I just got the latest Costco catalogue and they have an article on their fuel in that. It is Mobil fuel and Costco add their own 'brew' of additives as it is being loaded into the trucks for transporting to the servos. They say it contains detergents etc. I have been using their fuel for a while now and have no problems.
Mobil fuel? You do know BP owns Mobil?
So it is BP fuel.
Old 16-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #18
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Does anyone know if the fuel at a Woolworths Caltex servo is exactly the same as the fuel sold at a regular Caltex servo?
I would prefer to go to Woolies to get the 4c discount but have heard that their fuel is nasty and inferior, hence the discount.
Is this a myth or are the rumours true?
They use the same fuel.
Old 16-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #19
superfly
Go the Hogster!

ULP can be very random as to what servo's sell but when it comes to the 95 or 98 RON options, these are very specific and not shared between different brand of petrol stations.

As mentioned above already, the high octane fuels are all very different. IMO the best fuel out there and most consistent is BP Ultimate 98. Vortex 98 would be next.

I always used BP Ultimate 98 in my old WRX (I still use the BP in my wife's WRX) but I now use Vortex 95 in the XR50. I use the Vortex 95 as I get a 4cent discount and rating it against Vortex 98 there wasn't much diff in economy or power but between 91 and 95 there was enough difference to warrant the extra cost.

About 10 years ago I did back to back dyno testing of the different fuels in my WRX and differences were of course found. If you get your car tuned with a particular fuel, you should stick with it. Different cars react differently to different fuels, so you should try the 3 main ones (BP, Caltex and Shell) and see which one works for you. Personally I will never use Shell.

And lastly, even spending the extra cash on 95 or 98 in a non turbo car can be worth it. Some ECU's will react well to the higher octane fuel where you'll get an increase in power and fuel economy.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #20
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Shell is actually Viva Energy now.
Old 16-11-2015, 04:47 PM   #21
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shell V-Power Racing 100 RON was good but hard to get and not around for long.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #22
devoGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
The exhausts on my cars are louder when I use Vortex 98.
Funnily enough I noticed my exhaust sounded louder on Vortex 98 also.

I can't tell any difference between BP 98 and Shell V Power 98, the car drives same on both fuels.

I think it is more of a case of getting good fuel depending on the particular servo you visit rather than the brand, my theory is a high turnover servo would have fresher fuel.

Also, never get fuel at a servo at the same time as the tanker is filling the servo's tanks, the rubbish on the bottom gets disturbed and rises to the top.
devoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

So who is Costco buying their fuel off?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #24
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Me being an old fart I did my own fuel test towing a 2 tonnne caravan with an FGXXR6 ute.

I covered 300-350kms each day through western NSW and QLD sitting on 85-90kms/h. I used differing brands and types of fuel - 91, 95, 98.

The end result? Fuel consumption average of 17.5l/100kms. Yep, hardly any difference no matter what fuel I used. Some times it was 17.2, sometimes 17.8 - very little variance.

So, are you prepared to take the challenge?

Get your mate to fill your car with petrol and see if you can 1) tell the brand and 2) tell whether it was 95 or 98.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #25
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

When I was in the game, Mobil didn't have their own refinery in Brisbane, so we bought through BP. However, in Adelaide, we had the refinery and they didn't, so we sold to them.

If you look at the molecular structure of the fuels, they are all different, not just some additives. The blends are different for each customer, to meet their requirements. Also, some companies spend a lot of money to synthesize their products (think BP Ultimate and Shell V-Power), and they aren't going to pass the formula to their competitors to sell an identical product.

Sure, additives come into it, but the base fuel once refined isn't the same.
Old 17-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #26
AUS GRUNT

I almost always fill up at the same servo every time, it used to be an caltex servo but has been united for a while now (was originally an ampol servo)...so does united have there own independent fuel or do they use a sub-brand aswell ?
AUS GRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #27
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

United use Caltex and BP, and add additives, and ethanol.
Old 17-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I alternate between BP and Caltex too, with the odd sprinkling of United 100. I never use Shell, which is funny, because I used to work for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
ULP can be very random as to what servo's sell but when it comes to the 95 or 98 RON options, these are very specific and not shared between different brand of petrol stations.

As mentioned above already, the high octane fuels are all very different. IMO the best fuel out there and most consistent is BP Ultimate 98. Vortex 98 would be next.

I always used BP Ultimate 98 in my old WRX (I still use the BP in my wife's WRX) but I now use Vortex 95 in the XR50. I use the Vortex 95 as I get a 4cent discount and rating it against Vortex 98 there wasn't much diff in economy or power but between 91 and 95 there was enough difference to warrant the extra cost.

About 10 years ago I did back to back dyno testing of the different fuels in my WRX and differences were of course found. If you get your car tuned with a particular fuel, you should stick with it. Different cars react differently to different fuels, so you should try the 3 main ones (BP, Caltex and Shell) and see which one works for you. Personally I will never use Shell.

And lastly, even spending the extra cash on 95 or 98 in a non turbo car can be worth it. Some ECU's will react well to the higher octane fuel where you'll get an increase in power and fuel economy.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #29
LooLoo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaVu GT View Post
Mobil fuel? You do know BP owns Mobil?
So it is BP fuel.
BP Dont own Mobil!!!
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #30
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaVu GT View Post
United use Caltex and BP, and add additives, and ethanol.
So going by what you said in post 18, it could be Mobil?
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post