Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2005, 06:42 AM   #1
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Are eb11/ed 6cyl more grunty then ef/el?

This may seem like a stupid question but I owned an ef 6cyl which was rather gutless off the mark. Didn't spin wheels in a straight line if i remember correctly. My current vn would leave it for dead. Years ago I drove a couple of Eb11 and ed falcons and from memory they were much more grunty off the mark and spun wheels in a straight line pretty easily. I'm talking 6cyl auto's here by the way. Anyone have any ideas?

riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 07:25 AM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

EBII and ED 4.0's are less powerful (148kW) then EF/EL (157kW). I'm not sure on speed difference, but I'd say EF/EL would win if you raced them.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

no. EF/L is faster, more reliable and just...............better. :voldar02:
Old 13-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

Were EF/L a little heavier? Honestly never done a back to back comparison but most of the 4.0s from EB to EL that I have driven seemed to be fairly similar performance wise (talking non XR).
Old 13-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The EBII's had a 3.27:1 diff ratio which may make it feel a bit quicker, but the base model ED's had a 3.08:1 as did the EF.

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_Forte
The EBII's had a 3.27:1 diff ratio which may make it feel a bit quicker, but the base model ED's had a 3.08:1 as did the EF.
Bingo! Diff ratio (in particular in the EB IIs) and weight (EB II is lighter then EF/EL), so despite the EF/EL having more power, the earlier models FEEL quicker off the line.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
riverrat321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah, very interesting. Thought it may be something to do with gearing or diff ratio. Just had no way of checking this. My dad had an ed as a company car and it wen't great. Altoough it was a new car at the time...
riverrat321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #8
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Ten years on, factory power figures don't mean crap, you'd have to judge it on a car by car basis.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 08:04 PM   #9
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Ten years on, factory power figures don't mean crap, you'd have to judge it on a car by car basis.
That's a good point, after 10-15 years there are so many variables involved, the way the car has been treated, serviced, so on and on...

Last edited by The MaDDeSTMaN; 13-07-2005 at 08:10 PM.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 08:22 PM   #10
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I am led to believe the EF has the best flowing head of the lot.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #11
YOOT
Banned

I had an old ED Fairmont which was heavier than the EF/EL GLi and had a shorter diff ratio 3.23 and it used to hose the newr models including AU to 100km easily, it was a screamer. It used to light the rears up from standstill for a good second or so.

Never lost a race to the newer model, and I had two friends with EF and EL and when I got the 3.45 off rollins XR6 I was chasing 5.0s with ease. I posted a video up nearly 2 years ago showing my 0-100 in a stock ED with 3.45 of around 7.5 sec. Pretty fast back then when your main competition was 5.0 V8s that took over 8sec to do the same LOL!

My mates EF felt gutless too. Much harsher engine too. the extra power is accademic, rev limit was 500rpm higher and thats where the power moved, so less grunty larger spread of power = slower but look better on paper.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post