Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-05-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Noisy XR8

Hello,

Whenever I give my car a bit of a rev such as when overtaking and the speed exceeds 120km/h or so, when i let go of the throttle there is a high pitched noise which sounds oddly like an alarm of sorts which continues sounding until you go back on the throttle or slow down to around 100km/h.
It is isnt the speed alert and i've turned off the stereo so I have no idea what it is.. but it seems to be coming from the centre console/dash area.

I was reading an old issue of Motor from 99 when they took an AU 1 XR8 around Oz and they said a similar thing happened with revs at 3500rpm - 160 km/h but couldnt describe the cause.

Any ideas? Ford doesnt know!

cheers
Nathan
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Pete A
Boss 260

I gather your car is AU1. I had AUII for 4 years and my son has AU111. Never heard of this problem. Might be fooling you on where the sound is coming from. If you have the Windsor 5.0L V8 then I would suspect something stupid like the force air inlet manifold has a problem at certain stress levels.

Could also be something stupid like the fan belt vibrating or a bearing in the engine somewhere.

I know the V8's pretty well but if you have a 6 - sorry can't help.
Pete A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey there thanks for the reply

Its an AU XR8 Series 3 - sillouette with polished rims and no mods other than a K&N panel filter (which makes no noticeable diff to power or fuel economy). :eclipsee_
I'm pretty certain the noise is coming from the dash and is so annoying and instrusive! Motor called it a 'wicked internal buzz'. I'm thinking of pulling out the dash to see if it happens without it in. If thats not it then i've got nfi!!

Regards
Nathan
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

your not the first person to complain about this....so i suspect alot of them do it? I know my AU2 XR6 dosent do it...

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

The only thing i could think of is it maybe a leak in the vaccum system to the heater controls...if the noise is coming from the dash but i'm only guessing
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post