Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 22-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Default Opinions on selling price?

Hey Guys

Just want your opinions on whether this would be a fair asking price for my car. We may be buying a car off a fellow forum member so mine will have to go. I've spent thousands on mine but I know I can't re-coup. For a quick sale, I was thinking $5000 (no rwc but with rego until Nov)

Clicky my aufalcon.com link and tell me what you's think. Other than needing a dyno and general tune, it's perfect. The proof being I use to run consistent 14.8's in it, Chris (BPR) ran a 14.65 in it but at the drag day it ran 15.1's so it's definately crying for some tuning. Would be selling it without the pioneer head unit but would fit another unit in, maybe the orginal 6 stacker.

Anyway, think I could get a quick sale at $5,000?

2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
Old 22-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Krissy, for that price & being a Fairmont and knowing how well you have looked after it i don't see why not.
P.S. I'll swap you a pioneer head unit to put in it for your 6 stacker & i'll let you sit on my knee again! xo
Old 22-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

how many k's?
Old 22-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
how many k's?
Too cold outside to check but it's 151,500'ish. Well it's 151 something anyway. It's a Nov 99 model. Just under 11 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
P.S. I'll swap you a pioneer head unit to put in it for your 6 stacker & i'll let you sit on my knee again! xo
Behave yourself!

I might take you up on it, the stereo that is lol.
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
Old 23-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
Kryton

Id say 3-4k.
Age is against it, its been modded and ran down a track and it needs to be tuned.
No good selling points for most people.
Old 23-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

^^^ agreed...
nobody wants to buy somebody else's problem...
get it tuned and try for a little bit more!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're better off parting it out if you had any of the standard gear still, you might be able to get a portion of your mod money back (small portion) and you'd have less
trouble selling the car. Perhaps a standard head and standard tune?
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 23-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
You're better off parting it out if you had any of the standard gear still, you might be able to get a portion of your mod money back (small portion) and you'd have less
trouble selling the car. Perhaps a standard head and standard tune?
I could pop the factory tune back in but I'm selling her with the capa unit anyway which has the custom tune in it so..

I don't have any original bits for it. It's gotta go as is.
Old 23-05-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'd say 4k with no rwc, 5 with
Old 23-05-2010, 03:27 AM   #10
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
i'd say 4k with no rwc, 5 with
I would agree with that, the body is in great condition for 11 years old and so is the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Id say 3-4k.
Age is against it, its been modded and ran down a track and it needs to be tuned.
No good selling points for most people.
I would of thought MOST young people like those who have just got there full licence would see this as an added bonus
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
Old 23-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU

I would of thought MOST young people like those who have just got there full licence would see this as an added bonus
There are the ones that will, there are the ones that will buy a POS too just because it has some rims.
There are also others out there that dont want to buy a car thats been given what for down a track as well.
Old 23-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #12
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
There are the ones that will, there are the ones that will buy a POS too just because it has some rims.
There are also others out there that dont want to buy a car thats been given what for down a track as well.
I get the impression that for some reason you think I have absolutely thrashed this car. It's been on the track and so have more than half the cars on this forum. Are you saying none of us could sell our cars because we've done track work? It was built for the track, it wasn't a stocker pushed past it's limits. I have looked after my car extremely well. I'm not selling a thrashed used vehicle.

Opinions greatly appreciated but please, no more debates.

Now everybody -->
Old 23-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

have you got any pics up anywhere of it FRDGAL..?
i'm looking for a new car for the missus....!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL
I get the impression that for some reason you think I have absolutely thrashed this car. It's been on the track and so have more than half the cars on this forum. Are you saying none of us could sell our cars because we've done track work? It was built for the track, it wasn't a stocker pushed past it's limits. I have looked after my car extremely well. I'm not selling a thrashed used vehicle.

Opinions greatly appreciated but please, no more debates.

Now everybody -->
Maybe your missing my point.
Money you have spent on mods account for exactly nothing.
looking after your car is all fine and dandy but for the general public, when you present a car that has been modified so it goes faster and then it has also been taken down a track, it isnt a good look for most potential buyers.
Wheter or not you think your car has or hasnt been thrashed is irrelevant - its what Joe Public thinks.
The fact that its "crying out for a tune" says a whole lot doesnt it.
Do you really think Joe Public wants to have to go and spend money to tune the car after they buy it, all the while hoping there isnt anything else wrong with it.
A car that is Computer Controlled and shouldnt need a tune, needing a tune for it to run properly, isnt making the best statement about how 'extremely well' its been looked after is it.

Tell most potential buyer that its been modded, its been down the track and it doesnt run properly because it isnt tuned properly, youll find most are going to walk straight away..

Thats the point im making - it isnt what i might personally think as a buyer though.
Old 24-05-2010, 01:26 AM   #15
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
A car that is Computer Controlled and shouldnt need a tune, needing a tune for it to run properly, isnt making the best statement about how 'extremely well' its been looked after is it
And there it is! Proof that you have paid no attention to what I've said. I'm NOT talking about the FACTORY tune. I'd never sell a car that had a fault with FACTORY tune & expect it to be the buyers problem. That would be ridiculous! We are talking about the CUSTOM tune. Let me break it down in simple terms so that it's all cleared up:

Factory Tune - Fine! Runs sweet.
Custom Tune -needs refining after changes to the car.
Back into the 14's - CRYING FOR A TUUUUNNNEEE!!!!

Will add that the flash tuner which currently holds the factory tune, the custom G&D (which is what I run) and 2 empty spots, is being sold with the car. The tune is already there.

Making sense now? If the buyer wants this car back in the 14's then YES the CUSTOM tune needs to be looked at. Otherwise, NO. General tune is taken care of, by general I mean plugs, pod clean, oil, the usual. Davway, I'm not a low person. I would never sell it if there was an issue with the cars computer and then expect it to be the buyers problem.

I think this is well and truly covered now. Don't ruin my thread. I want it to remain open for more opinions but if you're going to keep debating over something you were completely wrong about in the first place, I'll have to ask it be closed. Happy to discuss further in PM but not in here please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTO
have you got any pics up anywhere of it FRDGAL..?
i'm looking for a new car for the missus....!
Sure do. Many many pics but I haven't posted any up because it's not the for sale thread. I will do so if I decide to sell the car. I'm still very undecided. It's too good, too reliable etc. Realistically though, it needs a new home, we won't have the room in 2 weeks, need room for the XR8 we bought last night, but whether I can actually let the Fairmont go *shrugs* Hard decision to make. If you saw it and drove it, you'd understand. But PM me your email address if you like & I'll send you some pics.

If your missus is a car enthusiast then she'll love this car. I guarantee it Come over and have a look, a drive. We'll get Poelwyk here, a couple other boys, have lunch, make it a day. You're more than welcome to come on over.

Last edited by FRDGAL; 24-05-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 24-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #16
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Maybe your missing my point.
Money you have spent on mods account for exactly nothing.
The point is you have your say that's your opinion...... must it be debated to the 10 degree...
Your opinion may not be the same for a potential buyer someone looking for a car that has all the mods for around $5k.
This AU @ $6k to $8k cheaper than BA with similar 1/4 mile performance as a BA with a few mods..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 24-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Krissy I'd be putting 7k on it and trying eBay first. Advertise for 7 but be prepared to lower it a little. You can always drop the price but you can't raise it.

I'm of a different opinion to most here. To me the fact that it is a 6, looks the goods and has been modified opens up a market with P platers. Look at the negatives and see how you can turn them into positives. There's never any problems, only solutions!

I don't reckon you'd have too much trouble. Hell my old EL I sold back in 06 sold for near 4k, not much but when you consider the odometer was reading 463k it is a good amount. I sold it to a P plater who wanted it because it was modified and had a manual conversion.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 24-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #18
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive just had a look at the aufalcon page. The mods and the 1/4 times are impressive. I think $7000 easily. Maybe $7500 if you get it re tuned. Ive tried explaining things like that to buyers before (about it needing a tune etc etc) but to most it means its a crap car with problems so Id get the tune sorted out first.
Old 24-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Ive just had a look at the aufalcon page. The mods and the 1/4 times are impressive. I think $7000 easily. Maybe $7500 if you get it re tuned. Ive tried explaining things like that to buyers before (about it needing a tune etc etc) but to most it means its a crap car with problems so Id get the tune sorted out first.
very unlikely! i've seen AU Ghia V8's in mint condition go for less
Old 24-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #20
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Yeah I know what you mean. And RG makes a good point too. Organising something for it now. Final decision is that it will definately be sold, it has to be, I've got no choice. I'll sort the tune, run a better number, pop it in the for sale thread & send it to a good home. Probably a month or so away. I have the XR8 to sort out first. But saying that, if anyone's interested in it as it is now, let me know. Open to offers.

Thanks all for your opinions. Very much appreciated

It's helped me decide what would be the best thing to do.
Old 24-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #21
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

personally i wouldnt buy a cammed car, i know my car is fine because ive driven it for 10 000km and i know my modding hasnt done anything bad apart from fuel and noise lol
us forumites know the history of your car, we know its looked after and the modding is reliable but someone on the street or in the paper or a random from carsales or even simply someone not frm the au section is gonna see it in a different light.

and if someone who didnt know it was a great car as opposed to a good car would only pay 4-5k why should someone who knows how good it is pay 7k simply because they appreciate it when they know that if it wasnt them it would sell for less? if i wanted to buy it id use the modding against you lol

all in all good luck with the sale, but just giving you opinions like you asked. in the real world your car is worth at least 7k but its a buyers market right now. i do agree with RG, 7k is a good starting point. recently i got a car dealer from $15990 to $11000 on a fiesta (didnt buy it, we bought another better one) but yeh i think most people these days are pretty keen to bargain so dont be afraid to ask for 7k just dont expect it lol
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Closed Thread