Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Newmans Plan for QLD Motorists to only Drive on Weekends !!!!!

YOU might be surprised to know that Lord Mayor Campbell Newman's picture-perfect vision for Brisbane is not underpinned by tunnels or bridges.

Just weeks ahead of the Clem7 opening for business, his dream is that 21 years from now most motorists will use the tunnel only on weekends. Their cars will sit idle in apartment garages from Monday to Friday, only nosing on to the city's widened arteries when their owners leave their leafy urban villages to frolic at the beach.

"That's the vision," Cr Newman said.

"It might sound funny for someone building tunnels but that's what we're trying to do."

No wonder Q is in a bad state when pollies have stupid ideas like this !!!! : :

Old 14-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

And what about the thousands of people that actually need their cars to do their job? lol

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

As stated in other other thread, Car companies are the ones to start taking action. When the roads are paved with gold, no one will get to see them except the elect few, because the rest can't afford to.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Here I was thinking that Victoria had issues with Pollies that have no clue as to what happens in the real world.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Sounds like they have a plan up their sleeve. Maybe force everyone to use public transport. Drive to a big paddock, park, and wait for a bus with all the other slaves, errrr i mean "people". A park and ride system, kinda like where you park up when going to airport and a bus takes you to the terminal. Cant wait to come back to my car every day to find yet another dent with that scheme.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
YOU might be surprised to know that Lord Mayor Campbell Newman's picture-perfect vision for Brisbane is not underpinned by tunnels or bridges.

Just weeks ahead of the Clem7 opening for business, his dream is that 21 years from now most motorists will use the tunnel only on weekends. Their cars will sit idle in apartment garages from Monday to Friday, only nosing on to the city's widened arteries when their owners leave their leafy urban villages to frolic at the beach.

"That's the vision," Cr Newman said.

"It might sound funny for someone building tunnels but that's what we're trying to do."

No wonder Q is in a bad state when pollies have stupid ideas like this !!!! : :
I think Newman has had some of the above in his office. What hope do we have. :togo:
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Having grown up in Brisbane in the 1970s and 1980s, I have no desire to
return there in the future because the Brisbane I knew is gone replaced
by a choked metropolis of hopelessly overwhelmed streets.

Why is it that so many single occupant vehicles clutter our inner urban streets?
Almost 80% of commuters could then use park and ride, end of congestion problem.

Eliminate all the inner city car parks.
No car park centres = no reason to take the private cars there and park all day.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Having grown up in Brisbane in the 1970s and 1980s, I have no desire to
return there in the future because the Brisbane I knew is gone replaced
by a choked metropolis of hopelessly overwhelmed streets.

Why is it that so many single occupant vehicles clutter our inner urban streets?
Almost 80% of commuters could then use park and ride, end of congestion problem.

Eliminate all the inner city car parks.
No car park centres = no reason to take the private cars there and park all day.
It's a good idea as long as your not one of the many that need there car in the city to travel in & out in a day.
Old 14-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Perhaps he wants to improve public transport such that people want to catch it rather than drive.

As a city becomes bigger you either need to invest in public transport or end up in a city like LA. Brisbane's town planning doesn't particularly support public transport anyway. Urban sprawl at it's best.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
Cam
Stroking it...

I agree with him, helicopters FTW!
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
It's a good idea as long as your not one of the many that need there car in the city to travel in & out in a day.
With the greatest of respect I used to be just like you and unless governments
drop the hammer and force people to do different things nothing will change.

How much do you really need your car in the city or is it just more convenient?

Unless you use your vehicle for commerce I see no reason to take it all the way in,
you could park and ride 5-10 km out. I agree it would take a huge increase in
public transport budget because Brisbane is still very ordinary in that regard.
Old 14-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it a large percentage of cars being driven on Brisbane streets contain only one person?

What amazes me is how people in Brisbane whinge and moan about the "lack" of public transport! How about you move north where there is NO public transport to speak off and are forced to drive everywhere.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I don't but the missus does, and she needs her car for work there is no way around it, she can,t just go to a park and ride with all the stuff she needs a day.
Old 14-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any public transport "initiative" forgets shift workers. Who wants to travel at night on public transport ? Briz public transport at night isn't safe. It is okay for 9-5 workers but shiftworkers, forget it.
Old 14-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone that drives into the city has a valid reason for doing so. What we need to do
is eliminate the cars and if that causes pain then I'm sorry but we just can't keep going this way.
Old 14-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Everyone that drives into the city has a valid reason for doing so. What we need to do
is eliminate the cars and if that causes pain then I'm sorry but we just can't keep going this way.
So then only trucks will be allowed into the city then as items that you can't take in daily or more than twice daily can only be freighted in. And the business that you work for that expects you to take your wares in is constantly left at a train station. Sorry this is just getting less logical for me.
Old 14-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've never heard someone be so far out of touch with reality. You know, it wouldn't surprise me if 20 years down the track we aren't allowed to drive cars the way this country is heading.

QLD seems to be up to their necks in excrement with this "Anna Bligh" everyone complains about and now this guy.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
So then only trucks will be allowed into the city then as items that you can't take in daily or more than twice daily can only be freighted in. And the business that you work for that expects you to take your wares in is constantly left at a train station. Sorry this is just getting less logical for me.
I take it your wife is a contractor/skilled trade that requires her to bring tools of trade to and from work.
I gather there's some reason why she cannot leave her equipment at work in secure storage so not your
case specifically but there are a lot of people driving for convenience rather than use public transport.
It is those people who need to be targeted.
Old 14-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

what a bunch of IDIOTS !! THAT IS WHAT QUEENSLAND IS RUN BY !! IDIOTS !! IDIOTS IDIOTS !! IDIOTS ! that my word of the day ! NOthing suprises me with this queensland government
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
what a bunch of IDIOTS !! THAT IS WHAT QUEENSLAND IS RUN BY !! IDIOTS !! IDIOTS IDIOTS !! IDIOTS ! that my word of the day ! NOthing suprises me with this queensland government
Campbell Newman is the Brisbane City Mayor and is a liberal.
Here is a link to the article http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...007190,00.html
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #21
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I take it your wife is a contractor/skilled trade that requires her to bring tools of trade to and from work.
I gather there's some reason why she cannot leave her equipment at work in secure storage so not your
case specifically but there are a lot of people driving for convenience rather than use public transport.
I am a self employd tradesman. I drive a ute, with tools and materials in the back. I see other people who need to genuinely drive into the city. I don't understand hundreds of hatchbacks and compacts heading into the city at 5:30 am.

As for secure storage : there is no such thing. If you had tools and saw lockups in projects you would understand why I think that remartk is just plain ridiculous.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #22
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
maybe they drive because a trip to the city requires 3 bus' and a train style trip. From my Missus cousin's place, it takes her 3 buses to get to teh city. It's a 10k journey, yet my old 80k trek from the Gold Coast was one bus and the train, to the CBD.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #23
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
No she demonstrates product like salmon so she will go cook it and display it. this requires pots pans cookers etc and she would not be alone in what she does as there are so many people doing this.
Old 14-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #24
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Campbell Newman is the Brisbane City Mayor and is a liberal.
Here is a link to the article http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...007190,00.html
Doesn't matter, there all idiots regardless which side of the fence they sit on.
Old 14-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #25
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
I am a self employd tradesman. I drive a ute, with tools and materials in the back. I see other people who need to genuinely drive into the city. I don't understand hundreds of hatchbacks and compacts heading into the city at 5:30 am.

As for secure storage : there is no such thing. If you had tools and saw lockups in projects you would understand why I think that remartk is just plain ridiculous.
My missus could be one of those hatch backs.
Old 14-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To all who answered my post, I refer you to what i previously said:

Quote:
Unless you use your vehicle for commerce I see no reason to take it all the way in,
you could park and ride 5-10 km out. I agree it would take a huge increase in
public transport budget because Brisbane is still very ordinary in that regard
What I'm driving at is:
1) a lot of people don't need to use their cars
2) people use their cars because of poor public transport/coordination
3) For Newman's vision to happen, it will take billions in infrastructure, something he doesn't have....

People with a genuine need to use their own vehicle should be allowed to.
Old 14-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #27
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
To all who answered my post, I refer you to what i previously said:

What I'm driving at is:
1) a lot of people don't need to use their cars
2) people use their cars because of poor public transport/coordination
3) For Newman's vision to happen, it will take billions in infrastructure, something he doesn't have....

People with a genuine need to use their own vehicle should be allowed to.
Are you for real these people have bought their cars with their own money paid for their licence and rego and you agree with them being told that they can't drive them to work or anywhere else in the city they choose
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #28
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm58
Are you for real these people have bought their cars with their own money paid for their licence and rego and you agree with them being told that they can't drive them to work or anywhere else in the city they choose
Hear Hear, why should we, the TAXPAYER, have to suffer because theyre too stupid to create infrastructure to support a growing populace using motor vehicles?

I work in qlds public transport system, its design accomodated brisbane no less than 10 years ago, and with a choking budget for the rail network its no wonder people hate it. Seriously, id love to know where all the money goes, i would.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #29
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is cheaper for me to drive into the city and park than catch public transport. I get there early so it is $5 parking all day and costs about the same in fuel so $10 per day. It costs me more to get a train or bus and have to endure a much longer trip.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #30
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Baited by the Courier Mail again ...

Guys ... I think that it is worthwhile to read the article in the CM first. Then, appreciate that the CM is baiting its readers again.

No long after we moved into Chermside (near the shopping centre), Council announced plans to turn this area into a regional business centre. The plan included having up to 15 story appartment blocks ringing the shopping centre, with a frequent and direct bus service into the CBD. (I have old flyers and media clippings around here ... somewhere).

When did this all happen, Oh, sometime around 1990. So, what you have read today is really a 20 year old proposal.

Before we all get too cynical at the lack of progress, the council's plans over the last 20 years have slowly come to pass. Unfortunately, they have discarded the lifestyle of the existing residents aside in the name of the mighty dollar ... but that is another story.

Quote:
Cr Newman's strategy is for new arrivals to be housed in pockets of high and medium-rise apartment blocks, hubs which will absorb a decentralisation from the CBD and rise from public transport nodes at Garden City, Newstead, Indooroopilly, Carindale and Chermside.

The picture he paints of Chermside is especially vivid.

"You'd be living in an apartment on the fourth floor, looking across the northeast towards Moreton Bay," he said. "It's not necessarily high-rise, it's parks and plazas. "There'll be restaurants, a great local library and great swimming pool. "Westfield shopping centre is still there and the northern busway will have been completed.

"If you do have to head to the city you only have to walk 300m down the road and jump on an airconditioned bus which will come every five minutes."
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post