Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #1
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Everything you wanted to know about BA-FGX Memory Mirrors

Cluttered desk...

A couple of modules, mine - an Arduino, and the "Grizzly" Mirror Control Module found in the driver's door (hooks up to the mirror switches - and has a data line going into both mirrors).

I've added a 2N7000 MOSFET to the Arduino board. Left leg is in the ground hole, middle pin is in the D2 hole, right pin is sticking out - but is connected to the 100K resistor, who's other leg is in the D3 hole.

D3 and Ground are connected by a 2nd 100K resistor.

Black wire is ground, white wire is the mirror data signal going to the MOSFET's leg that's sticking out.

The theory was, there's a weak pull-up on the mirror data line, via the grizzly module (which is why I'm using very weak resistors in this project) and the MOSFET can pull that data line low when it wants to talk to the mirrors. The D3 line can listen for data, it's connected via two resistors to make a voltage divider - to bring the ~7.5v data signal to around 3.5v to be safe for my little 5V Arduino.

Attached is an Arduino project file that allows you to send 2 hex characters out from a master address (my Arduino - since I'm not using the real Memory Module here) which will be picked up by the unit that listens for whatever data is sent. Left mirror, right mirror and in one case which I think is just for diags, the mirror control module.

So, each mirror has 10 memory settings available to set and recall. They do not broadcast the mirror positions, so I know the grizzly module isn't what is saving the data. Nor is it the Memory Module under the driver's seat.

The mirrors I've got are not in as-good condition as my own (non memory ones) so I have not taken this project any further (notice no 5v regulator to power the project as it's all on the bench and getting power from my PC) - but I'm posting it here because someone might find it useful. I couldn't find any information on the Internet about these devices.

Here's some output from the project file - to give you an idea of what it's all about:

Falcon (BA-FGX) Memory Mirror Module interface code

messages from 0x32/0x33 (Right/Left mirrors)
0xA0=recall received
0xB0=program success

0x07=Moving (in memory recall)
0x27=Stopped (found memory positon)
0x47=Not in a memory position
0x67=?

0x87=Moving (in memory recall)
0xA7=Stopped (found memory positon)
0xC7=Not in a memory position
0xE7=?
|
Unsure what the high bit means here?

LH Mirror
02=recall memory 1 (all respond with 0xA0)
12=recall memory 2
22=recall memory 3
92=recall memory 10

RH Mirror
03=recall memory 1 (all respond with 0xA0)
13=recall memory 2 etc.

LH Mirror
20=program memory 1 (recall 02) (all respond with 0xB0)
30=program memory 2 (recall 12)
40=program memory 3 (recall 22)
B0=program memory 10 (recall 92)

RH Mirror
21=program memory 1 (recall 03) (all respond with 0xB0)
31=program memory 2 (recall 13) etc.

LH Mirror
04=down+right
14=up+right
24=down+left
34=up+left
44=right
54=left
64=down
74=up

RH Mirror
84=down+right
94=up+right
A4=down+left
B4=up+left
C4=right
D4=left
E4=down
F4=up

possible diagnostics:

06=0x32/0x33 responds with 0x06
16=0x32/0x33 responds with 0x16
26=0x32/0x33 responds with 0x26
36=0x32/0x33 responds with 0x36
F6=0x32/0x33 responds with 0xF6

07=0x2A responds with 0xF8
17=0x2A responds with 0x08
27=0x2A responds with 0x18
37=0x2A responds with 0x28
F7=0x2A responds with 0xE8

Notes:
0x2A is the "Grizzly" Mirror Control Module.
None of the tests here incorporated the Memory Module
because the BA one I have isn't well documented.
Attached Files
File Type: txt memory.ino.txt (11.7 KB, 9 views)
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #2
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Default Re: Everything you wanted to know about BA-FGX Memory Mirrors

All this data and stuff just for mirrors?
Wow, very interesting, thanks for sharing Jason.
It makes you wonder where it will all end!

Ed
Old 12-04-2020, 11:49 PM   #3
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

With me not getting enough sleep!

The wrecker on ebay said they were in great condition - just needed a polish...

I don't usually take much notice of sales people (I bought these for the lightning strike scalps - which I knew I could polish)... But wow - these did clean up nicely, once I'd done all the hard work on the communications, and had the time.

(What's going on in Melbourne? Soot, much?)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
burkey05
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jason,

what's the goal with the memory mirrors?

are you installing them into your car?

2008 TTG

current ride
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmM1PB26

former ride
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmM1PK1Y

former former ride
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmM1N7Nq
burkey05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-03-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
JasonACT
Away on leave

Canberra hasn't had a COVID lockdown long enough!

I bought a set of FG spears, a set and a half in fact, one with a front-driver's-side button hole (I think it's meant to be for the pedals) to 3D print a button casing to install some neat ones... Yes, I want them installed with a couple of memory positions available (and maybe reverse auto detected).

My problem though is time! That, and I need to paint the spears a matching colour, which proved to be harder than I thought (I opened another thread asking about trim colours, but that didn't really go anywhere). I painted one set of spears a shaded-silver colour that closely matched the silver-gold ICC I want to install, but it's too silver under bright light (though matches in golden sun-light).

So, slow progress.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
burkey05
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
Canberra hasn't had a COVID lockdown long enough!

I bought a set of FG spears, a set and a half in fact, one with a front-driver's-side button hole (I think it's meant to be for the pedals) to 3D print a button casing to install some neat ones... Yes, I want them installed with a couple of memory positions available (and maybe reverse auto detected).

My problem though is time! That, and I need to paint the spears a matching colour, which proved to be harder than I thought (I opened another thread asking about trim colours, but that didn't really go anywhere). I painted one set of spears a shaded-silver colour that closely matched the silver-gold ICC I want to install, but it's too silver under bright light (though matches in golden sun-light).

So, slow progress.
so are you looking to install memory seats and mirrors etc without all the factory modules?

2008 TTG

current ride

former ride

former former ride
Old 01-03-2021, 08:37 PM   #7
burkey05
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and yes the hole on the right side of the spear is for the adjustable pedal switch

[IMG]FG switch location by Ben Burke, on Flickr[/IMG]

2008 TTG

current ride

former ride

former former ride
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2021, 09:13 PM   #8
JasonACT
Away on leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkey05 View Post
so are you looking to install memory seats and mirrors etc without all the factory modules?
Mirrors, probably yes, I've got all of that worked out and it can be stand alone. Along with the issue of not wanting a loom changeover.. Should just need one extra wire to sort that one out.

Driver's seat, I'm not sure what will happen there. I'm keeping an eye out on eBay because I don't think my current electric seat base has the feedback needed (potentiometers) for the memory module. That's a much bigger project, and one with a lot of missing doco (seems they changed the sockets on these things through the various Falcon series).
Old 01-03-2021, 09:26 PM   #9
burkey05
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mirrors, probably yes, I've got all of that worked out and it can be stand alone. Along with the issue of not wanting a loom changeover.. Should just need one extra wire to sort that one out.

Driver's seat, I'm not sure what will happen there. I'm keeping an eye out on eBay because I don't think my current electric seat base has the feedback needed (potentiometers) for the memory module. That's a much bigger project, and one with a lot of missing doco (seems they changed the sockets on these things through the various Falcon series).
yeah the non-memory motors on the seats are different to the memory motors. You could swap just the motors over, but It'd be easier just to swap the bottom seat rail itself. They're all the same BA-FG. So one out of a fairmont, fairlane or G6E or G6E Turbo would do the trick

I put memory mirrors, memory pedals, memory backrest and memory lumbar into my Turbo Terry Ghia. But I did it using all the Fairlane and LTD factory parts. The memory mirror motors surprisingly fit in the Terry mirror housing. Makes you wonder why Ford didn't do it from factory

2008 TTG

current ride

former ride

former former ride
3 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great write up.
I'm struggling and appear to have hit a dead end with trying to wire in a reversing mirror tilt module (designed to tilt passenger mirror down when reversing).
It's a simple module but doesn't appear it'll work with the way the FGX non-memory mirrors work.
To simplify it, it has 2x +12v outputs - one for the up and one for the down.
However there doesn't seem to be a simple +12v wire for UP and for DOWN that I can find. From what I can tell from the connector on the door:

Red is + on down
Red is - on up
Violet is - on down
Violet is + on up
Blue is + on right
Blue is - on left

However applying +12v to Red for UP or to Violet for DOWN, the mirror doesn't move.
cat007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #11
JasonACT
Away on leave

Everything you wanted to know about Non-Memory Mirrors???...

Looks like (R) Red is common. L = Blue , B = Black.

Edit: Send an email to the company you bought it off so they can check out this picture and suggest what can be done???
Old 03-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #12
petero1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat007 View Post
Great write up.
I'm struggling and appear to have hit a dead end with trying to wire in a reversing mirror tilt module (designed to tilt passenger mirror down when reversing).
It's a simple module but doesn't appear it'll work with the way the FGX non-memory mirrors work.
To simplify it, it has 2x +12v outputs - one for the up and one for the down.
However there doesn't seem to be a simple +12v wire for UP and for DOWN that I can find. From what I can tell from the connector on the door:

Red is + on down
Red is - on up
Violet is - on down
Violet is + on up
Blue is + on right
Blue is - on left

However applying +12v to Red for UP or to Violet for DOWN, the mirror doesn't move.
Hi cat007
What's confusing is the red wire is not a +12 v wire.
It is sometimes depending on whether you want up/down or left/right.
Better to think of the red wire as the common point between the 2 motors, so maybe all you have to do is connect either the brown or orange wire from the tilt module to the left hand mirror.
Maybe check what polarity 12v is coming out of the tilt module wires and then connect only the one that makes the mirror go down?
petero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2021, 07:41 PM   #13
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Everything you wanted to know about Non-Memory Mirrors???...

Looks like (R) Red is common. L = Blue , B = Black.

Edit: Send an email to the company you bought it off so they can check out this picture and suggest what can be done???

Oh - I just noticed the WSM I was referring to may have been for memory mirrors!

http://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub/wire/fgii73/Grp4.html

I will go through my wiring again tomorrow - is the image you sent above for FGX Sedan?

I sent the manufacturer an email but they're not very helpful.

Thank you for the info!
Old 03-03-2021, 10:12 PM   #14
JasonACT
Away on leave

Pretty sure the switch is the same from BA-FGX. The 3rd party "spare" I've got says '08 onward. The image above is the FG WSM - there was no update in that area for the FG2.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #15
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok thanks for the replies.

I have gone through the wiring again with a meter and it appears the reversing of polarity is done at the switch and so you can't just apply +12V to red (to make it go down) as it also requires Violet to be earthed at the same time (which it's not in the neutral switch state). And with the module I have only able to apply +12v to one wire, I'm not sure how to make this work.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #16
petero1

That's why on your install circuit of the tilt module you need to cut 2 of the mirror wires and join in 4 wires to allow the tilt module to overide the mirror switch settings.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #17
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by petero1 View Post
That's why on your install circuit of the tilt module you need to cut 2 of the mirror wires and join in 4 wires to allow the tilt module to overide the mirror switch settings.
Not sure I follow you sorry. I had cut the Violet and red and intercepted them with the tilt motor (which has both sides of the red in a N/C situation when the module is not being used.)

Old 04-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #18
petero1

From the tilt circuit it looks like you cut the red from the left hand mirror and connect the brown and orange wire to the ends, then cut the violet wire and connect the blue and green wires to these ends.
Have you got all the other wires [12v +, IGN, reverse, -12v shown as earth/ground also connected?

It's difficult to check as the tilt circuit is on FGX forum and the story is on the Pub forum
Old 04-03-2021, 05:35 PM   #19
JasonACT
Away on leave

Old 04-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #20
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is awesome. Thank you so much.
I'll grab a couple of relays and do it that way.

Thank you again.

Below is the wiring layout for the module. The input and output wires are n/c and then when triggered, the output is closed to the +12v circuit.

2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2021, 09:34 PM   #21
petero1

Are you sure? I would have thought the tilt module would already have 2 relays inside it, or some other switching circuit to enable mirror tilt.
The reasoning behind this is the mirrors must still work normally when the tilt is wired in but not activated.
Can you open the module and see if it contains 2 relays?
Old 04-03-2021, 09:41 PM   #22
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by petero1 View Post
Are you sure? I would have thought the tilt module would already have 2 relays inside it, or some other switching circuit to enable mirror tilt.

The reasoning behind this is the mirrors must still work normally when the tilt is wired in but not activated.

Can you open the module and see if it contains 2 relays?
Yeah it has two relays I side.

Brown & orange and Blue & green are on their n/c circuit

I will take some pics tomorrow morning!
Thanks.

2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #23
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so board top and bottom pics below.

And relay pinout from 'the internet'.... Assume its right. Haven't tested it yet...

Last edited by cat007; 05-03-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #24
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are the two relays on the board

Last edited by cat007; 05-03-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 17-10-2022, 10:27 AM   #25
Frank70

Hi Guys.
Great post.

I am OK on electrical stuff, but this is WAY beyond my pay grade.

My BFII FPV Force6 (based on Fairmont Ghia) has the memory seats, adjustable pedal box and left mirror dipping on reverse. Recently the left mirror stopped dipping when selecting reverse. I checked if the option was enabled and it wasn't. I think that's because the car hasn't been driven much and the battery went flat. After charging the battery, I enabled the reverse dipping feature but it still doesn't dip on reverse. It now does kind of 'vibrate' when you select reverse. It moves slightly up/down and side/side like vibrating but doesn't dip.

I can adjust the mirror as normal throughout it's range using the joystick on the driver's door.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.
Frank.
1970 Chevy EL Camino 350/TH350 - father/son project
1994 BMW M3 - daily driver.
Frank70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #26
BFIIGhiaZF6
George
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The experience, information and willingness to help and share data in regards to the ZF cooling system options has probably cleared a lot of doubt about air/oil coolers and the ZF transmission. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank70 View Post
Hi Guys.
Great post.

I am OK on electrical stuff, but this is WAY beyond my pay grade.

My BFII FPV Force6 (based on Fairmont Ghia) has the memory seats, adjustable pedal box and left mirror dipping on reverse. Recently the left mirror stopped dipping when selecting reverse. I checked if the option was enabled and it wasn't. I think that's because the car hasn't been driven much and the battery went flat. After charging the battery, I enabled the reverse dipping feature but it still doesn't dip on reverse. It now does kind of 'vibrate' when you select reverse. It moves slightly up/down and side/side like vibrating but doesn't dip.

I can adjust the mirror as normal throughout it's range using the joystick on the driver's door.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.
Frank.
Had this happen after disconnecting the battery once from memory, had to adjust/save the mirror dipping setting, not just enable it.

Have you been through the setting procedure for the dipping mirror and saved it to one or all of the setting memory buttons on the drivers seat?

The mirror button merely turns the dipping function on and off.

You can save different settings to each of the 3 memory buttons too.

http://fordforums.com.au/showpost.ph...58&postcount=9

2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia I6 4L, ZF6 Auto, Ego Charcoal, Warm Charcoal.

R/Up 2019:Winner 2023:, Best BA-BF Geelong AFD.

PWR Air/Oil Cooler, K&N, Egas elbow, V8 upper F6 lower CAI.

1997 Fairmont EL Ghia Tickford 4L Auto
1985 Falcon XF GL 4.1L Auto.
1979 Fairmont XD Ghia 4.1L Auto.
1971 Cortina GL Estate 1200cc Manual.

Last edited by BFIIGhiaZF6; 17-10-2022 at 12:12 PM.
BFIIGhiaZF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2022, 09:33 PM   #27
Frank70

Thanks !

I'll go thru it again tomorrow morning.

Cheers,
Frank.
Old 18-10-2022, 05:19 PM   #28
Frank70

All sorted thanks.

Sometimes you just need to RTFM ... properly.

Cheers,
Frank.
3 users like this post: