Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Default Crash/near crash experiences

inspired by the fact that i just lost control of my XC about 30 minutes ago and im bloody lucky nothing happened!

Dropping a mate off at his place and i was driving along a stretch of road thats known to fall apart after raining (its been raining the past two days)
And i must admit i wasnt paying 100% attention as my front met the edge of the road that had been closer then what i realised
This made my steering wheel jolt (yay for no power steering -_-)
making my car go on the dirt, and stupidly i thought i could just let it gradually go on the dirt and then get it back on the road like nothing happened
Out whips the rear end
On the road i go
then i had spin the wheel as fast as i could to try and straighten it back up, and when it did straighten up, the wheel was still in the same position
back on the dirt i go
same thing again except when i got back on the road i was literally sideways
ended up doing a PERFECT parralell park on the other side of the road.
Luckily there was no other cars coming in that direction :|
Pulled over to check the damage. Nothing Wrong so off i go, slow as possible with the music turned off and the whitest face ever.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Umm...not on the way home from school were you
Old 07-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Pleaase...
I graduated last year >.<
keeping in mind ive only had my liscence since the start of the year, its a XC with no power stearing and its the first time ive ever lost control completely!
:(
Old 07-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So where did this happen?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Delete post
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take it on board as a lesson learned theres plenty out there ready to get you....
Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Take it on board as a lesson learned theres plenty out there ready to get you....
You're telling me :|
the first time i hit a huge body of water the steering wheel did danm near the same thing and almost sent me off the road.
Good thing is i actually am learning the lesson each time
cant say the same for some of the other P platers around
Know of one whos 19 and has had 5 cars already
Mummy and Daddy are the ones who buy him the imports every time too -___-
Old 07-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a bit scary. Have you tried it on a skid pan?

I had a couple of XCs and they never went silly like that.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
Good thing is i actually am learning the lesson each time
cant say the same for some of the other P platers around
Know of one whos 19 and has had 5 cars already
Mummy and Daddy are the ones who buy him the imports every time too -___-
A P-Plater i know has been through two fences in his 'fooly siiick' VT and still does 100 down suburban streets. Some people just never learn.

Only crash experinces I've had are a couple of rear-enders. I guess I've been lucky so far

Only near crash I can remember is going through a traffic light intercection where a dude had run a red as I was entering. Hardest descision to make is whether to floor it or brake to get out of the way.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Not my crash experience but on Sunday I stopped to offer assistance after an L plater who barely spoke english was T-Boned by a 1970's or 80's Ferrari. I don't think the ferrari owner was very happy. L plater drove straight out onto South St into the path of traffic. After googling it was a Mondial of some description.

Last edited by EDfutura25; 07-09-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #11
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

I have an xb that does exactly that, very tail happy for some reason...
the xy as well, once they start sliding, there is no bringing it back, it only gets worse!
might be the absence of a rear sway bar? or lack of a decent one up front.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

His nearest skidpan would now be Lakeside. Gympie have now got a rule that no P-Platers are allowed..... Very silly rule if you ask me.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was driving to Geelong one day, to the football and i often take the North Geelong exit through the refineries to miss the traffic. Anyway rounding a corner at only about 60, and didnt see the oil slicks on the wet road, car tailed around the corner and i couldnt catch it, but held the brake as the car slid kind of sideways to a stop. Drove very slowly the whole way from there.

When i was first on my P's i would turn out and then in to a corner in kind of a scandanavian flick type manoveour, and nearly collected a car passing.

Ive also learned to be very careful backing out of carparks, because its so easy to forget to look.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
His nearest skidpan would now be Lakeside. Gympie have now got a rule that no P-Platers are allowed..... Very silly rule if you ask me.
a large majority of people wanting to do that kinda stuff would be p platers
Old 07-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
I have an xb that does exactly that, very tail happy for some reason...
the xy as well, once they start sliding, there is no bringing it back, it only gets worse!
might be the absence of a rear sway bar? or lack of a decent one up front.
Its a Ute and the lack of weight in the rear causes it to bounce lots. But yeah the main killer was once i was off the dirt and back onto the road it regained traction instantly and the front tyres where still in the direction of me trying to catch the drift on the dirt so it flung me sideways on the road, back into the dirt before doing a 180 back across the road.
I quickly turned the car back on and drove on the side of the road to check any damage
seen some dripping from the wheel well and it turned out to be water from the puddles all along the dirt!
Im veeerrryyyyy lucky it wasnt worse :|

I plan to go to the Skid pan in brissy when i go there for a trip on the 3rd next month.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #16
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Hey guys, Im a new member here. Ive just bought my XR8 only a week ago and Im paranoid someone is going to hit it.... And it truly seems like they go out of there way to try to hit me. Over the past 1 week Ive done more defensive driving then I ever on my motor cycle.

Isnt that how it always is tho with the things you adore?!
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jase

welcome aboard to aff

it is allways a thing that goes through your mind every day you drive your pride and joy

if we all worried so much we would not own a nice car and if we did we would never drive it

I know this is a plug but pop into the ozecruisers area and say gday

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
Well I will have to get my $600 back. I bought my elder daughter a driver training course there which included the skid pan.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #19
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
A P-Plater i know has been through two fences in his 'fooly siiick' VT and still does 100 down suburban streets. Some people just never learn.

Only crash experinces I've had are a couple of rear-enders. I guess I've been lucky so far

Only near crash I can remember is going through a traffic light intercection where a dude had run a red as I was entering. Hardest descision to make is whether to floor it or brake to get out of the way.
Did you floor or brake? Had 3 near misses in a stock EL. One was 2 cars running a red as I was turning across an intersection. Gunned it and missed the second car by half a metre.

Another time, a stupid Yaris driver decided to indicate and slow down to turn into a sidestreet with a give way sign on his lane, then proceed to accelerate right past it towards me as I was turning in. Still can't believe I made it through, engine redlining and wheels spinning all the way to 60kmh.

The scariest one was a VT commodore pulling out of a sidestreet, concealed by oncoming traffic. Braked, swerved and hit the kerb at 50kmh. Avoided the VT but I exploded the LHF tyre on impact with the kerb and heard a sickening scrape as the car bottomed out. Stopped in the nature strip 3m short of a power pole. Idiot VT driver turned off at the next street and took off. Jacked the EL up and changed the tyre. Was impressed that the EL still steered straight and drove away from the incident like nothing had happened. Just needed a wheel alignment after. I've seen similar incidents where a corolla or hyundai has had a wheel ripped off by an impact, and not long ago same thing to a VE ute.

Learnt to always look twice, and gained an appreciation for the mighty 4.0 i6, and somehow believed someone was watching over me after those incidents.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #20
toughtimes

Had a memorable moment in my XF sedan many moons ago, live in perth, took a motorcross trip down to lancelin, 2 cars and 2 bikes, on the way home my mates holden ute with bikes on back died, hired a car trailer, hitched up trailer with ute on back, loads of hills the old girl didnt like, righto gonna pick up some speed to get over this hill, got over the hill no worries, coming down the hill was the problem, front wheels completely off the ground, front wheels landed in the orange stuff on the wrong side of the road at about 110 k's, dont think i ever managed to remove the stains from the seat lol
toughtimes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #21
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i have had one collision with a tree, several near misses my fault and a few other people fault but this one take the iceing out of the cake i nearly collieded with a police car and i got booked to serves me right lol
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #22
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few years ago a tradies fully loaded trailer with cement bags plus mixer let go and went end over end on the Frankston Fwy right in front of us. I still have no idea how the trailer missed us.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #23
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down what were you thinking

this thread is macarbe why should people relive their traumatic experiences? and for what? this thread should be padlocked imho..

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #24
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Did you floor or brake?
Floored it. This was in a 1.6l KJ Laser though so I'm surprised I got out of the way in time as it was pretty darn gutless.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #25
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
this thread is macarbe why should people relive their traumatic experiences? and for what? this thread should be padlocked imho..
No-one forces you too read or post in it.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 AM   #26
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

my worst was in my old AU I6 auto sedan. first auto car, first RWD. VERY wet road...never seen that much rain, but i was only 6 weeks or so into a new job (and not to mention a week or so into this car)...couldn't really call in sick/late because it was raining. never was into burnouts/donuts, so i never got ''training'' in that kind of crap there either.
crappy bit of road too, quick left right combo. i tried to be good, but inexperience/conditions left it to spin on me...narrow road it was too. if anyone was coming the other way i would have got them...scared the **** out of me so bad, i'm still sketchy on wet roads to this day.
my current BAII XR6T ute is much worse in the wet, but i can handle it better now...still i am quite scared of the wet, and i have not pumped up the ute's power for that reason.

i have never hit a skidpan, always thought it would help...but i never seem to be organised for it. work really likes to get in the way...i'm sure it would help me learn to better control my ride to help me in the real world...must do it one of these days.
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #27
Bobman
Regulator

There has only been one near-miss I've had that really shook me around and it was not even my fault.

A few years ago in my BA, I was at a red light and turning left (T-intersection). The lights turned green, so off I go but braked at the last second. I could hear the roar of an LS1 from the right of me and this HSV ran the red at least 5 seconds after the lights had changed. The left side of his car was only centimetres from my front bumper. The rush of air from the HSV's momentum swayed my car. I had never been so scared/relieved/shocked in my motoring life. Had I simply performed my turn like most people do and not looked or had my window open, I probably would have not been around today to tell this story.

I had no hope of catching the ****** or getting a rego plate either as he continued at high speed and disappeared. Very lucky and now I always quickly look left & right before I take off at any intersection.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #28
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tipped it into a corner at 220 and it tightened up on me.. heading for the centre line when a truck came around opposite direction... very muchly mirror clip at 200+....... LIVE and LEARN from your stupidity.....
Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #29
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t

It's possible to gain helpful knowledge from the experiences of others.
And by the way it's spelt macabre.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #30
Aran84
Starter Motor

ive been side swiped and by 2 4wd's merging into my lane without looking on seperate occasions, now i dont drive near 4wd's
Aran84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post