Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

Default No more pinging

We have finally got rid of our PINGING Focus. After 18 months of battling with Ford and our dealer (Lilydale Victoria) over this annoying problem and getting nowhere, we have traded it in and bought a different make car. We loved the Focus when we got it. But it has caused so much stress it wasn't worth keeping it. We can't believe that FORD could not fix the problem. Running it on 98 octane fuel didn't even completely get rid of the pinging. This car was a BIG waste of money and time. This is the fourth Ford we have had that has pinged. NEVER again will we buy a FORD. Ford customer service is CRAP. Beware!!!

Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
scooby

So Curly, what did you buy?
I , myself, perhaps rather STUPIDLY, and after pressure from the dealer( but thats another story)....traded in my absolute LeMoN LS LX for a brand new LT Zetec. Despite my bagging of the Focus, the competition doesn't excite me much. Time will tell if I did the right thing..............
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
Curly

Mazda3 Maxx Sport. We love it.
Old 15-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Spazzsfocus
RS Dreamer!

Sounds like you were a bit pinged off...... pardon the pun (I couldn't help myself)

at least you sort of stayed in the 'extended ford' family by buying a mazda! ;)
Spazzsfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

interestingly enough, it may pain you to know that you have the same engine in the Mazda as the focus LOL.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
Curly

We know they are "related". It makes you wonder why the Mazda3, which is so similar doesn't ping. The fuel consumption isn't quite as good as the Focus. We have a theory that Ford are just after good fuel figures at the expense of how the car runs. The Mazda3 runs beautifully on 91RON.
Old 16-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
BlackLS
yum

Thats pretty much it.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Forest Bear

Focus is a great car but yeah definitely agree Ford Service is crap. The reception people at Binks service department are pretty pathetic. You get better service and customer friendly people at the local take-away. Most of the time they think you're pretty much an idiot and will try to pull one on you to see if they can get away with it.

I had a slight suspension rattle noise coming from driver side fron. A service bloke confirmed this. When I got the car back the guy that checked the suspension reckon the noise I heard was engine pinging. wtf.

Having said that I experienced the same with holden when I had an Astra. Once they sell you the car and the signature is on paper you can all sod-off.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shame it came to that Curly - stay in touch anyways eh?
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
Curly

It is a shame. We lost a few $ on the whole thing too. Hope you all have more luck than we did.
Old 18-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Makaveli81
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Bear
Focus is a great car but yeah definitely agree Ford Service is crap. The reception people at Binks service department are pretty pathetic. You get better service and customer friendly people at the local take-away. Most of the time they think you're pretty much an idiot and will try to pull one on you to see if they can get away with it.

I had a slight suspension rattle noise coming from driver side fron. A service bloke confirmed this. When I got the car back the guy that checked the suspension reckon the noise I heard was engine pinging. wtf.

Having said that I experienced the same with holden when I had an Astra. Once they sell you the car and the signature is on paper you can all sod-off.
Take it back to binks Footscray ask for Matt

08 FG GT-P
Makaveli81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Randy_G
wing nut

From what little I know, the 2.3l Mazda is a different engine, while the 2.0 is very similar, if not identical to the Focus. The big difference between them is that Mazda uses their own engine management system, not a Ford one. Didn't someone post an easy fix for pinging on here awhile ago ?? Might have saved you money.
Randy_G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
BlackLS
yum

Probably the tune more to do with it. Ford wanted to get best fuel economy in its class.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_G
From what little I know, the 2.3l Mazda is a different engine, while the 2.0 is very similar, if not identical to the Focus. The big difference between them is that Mazda uses their own engine management system, not a Ford one. Didn't someone post an easy fix for pinging on here awhile ago ?? Might have saved you money.
Even the Ford engineers from Head Office couldn't fix it. We LOVE our Mazda3 and haven't looked back since getting rid of our LEMON. And guess what? No pinging. :
Old 28-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #15
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WB Curly...

Nothing wrong with a mazda.

But I'm real happy with my focus, it does ping a little when I run 95 or below so I run 98 E10 and no worries.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post