Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-11-2008, 01:31 AM   #31
focusrally888

i only reset mine when i fill up fuel, i reset the avg speed clock too.. and i warm my car up in the morning for 5mins... but i dont often sit in cbd traffic
focusrally888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #32
MW_WA
Starter Motor

Yeah, I usually reset mine at refuelling stops too.
First few tanks I played around with it a lot ... resetting it on the run while moving at constant speed so I could see what I was using on the highway at 75, on the freeway at 105, around the burbs at 55, etc.
Idling at the lights and accelerating to speed is really what kills the mileage.
The difference for me driving home from work in peak hour (lots of traffic light stops) compared to an hour later is quite dramatic.
Old 27-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #33
Mick K.

8.6l/100kms over the past 40,000kms of 90% suburban commuting and 10% freeway trips in my LR Zetec 2.0 manual on 95 RON Caltex. Best economy on a tank was 7.2l/100kms and worst was 10.4l/100kms. It's a different engine, but should give similar results to the 2.0 Duratec.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 12:43 AM   #34
focusrally888

i have also found the 95 gives me a smoother quieter ride + better acceleration but same economy as 91 in my 07 CL auto over a full tank
Old 27-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #35
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusrally888
i only reset mine when i fill up fuel, i reset the avg speed clock too.. and i warm my car up in the morning for 5mins... but i dont often sit in cbd traffic
Much as I applaud you for being one of the last people to care about the damage that thrashing a cold engine does, there's no need to allow modern low-performance engines (which includes pretty much everything that isn't a ferrari) to warm at idle, just keep below 3500rpm until the temp gauge is in the middle. Even if you thrash the bags off the focus engine cold, it'll still last 200000+km, they're pretty foolproof in design.

Quote:
i have also found the 95 gives me a smoother quieter ride + better acceleration but same economy as 91 in my 07 CL auto over a full tank
As far as I know, the knock sensor the ignition advance when you run on lower than 95 octane, which is why it seems slower...

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #36
focusrally888

when i drive it cold it feels like there is a choke on or something... the gears at low speed seem to be really hard on the car... why would that be?
Old 27-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #37
~Spyne~

2.0l tdci

pure highway driving, 4.9-5.4L/100km
pure city/town driving, 6.0-6.7L/100km
mix of both, generally about 5.8-6.3L/100km

depends on your location too....if your in a hilly area, then obviously ur consumption will be much worse than someone who lives in a very flat area
~Spyne~ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #38
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

i just filled up and went on a freeway and this is what im sitting on atm

AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 12:00 AM   #39
BlackLS
yum

I found something interesting, I get no pinging but worse economy on E10, and pinging but better economy on 91. Also, I usually do 600kms on E10 and 680kms on 98

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #40
Chicka

Gooday Guys,
Need some opinions from any Focus or Mondeo Turbo Diesel Owners...
I have just purchased a K&N Filter for my Focus TDCI Hatch.Usually, I do careful research
before committing to making such a purchase...althought, not on this occasion.
I have purchased the filter from the UK,and , as yet,it has not arrived.
Since purchasing, I have read some very bad press on using a k&n filter on a turbo diesel...apparently they allow to much " dust" to enter the system, thereby screwing up the turbo ...... Has anybody an opinion to offer regarding using this filter on a turbo diesel?
Chicka
Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #41
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

Chicka:

i havent got a K&N filter on mine as of yet, however i find it hard to believe that this would actually be true. with saying that though, i suppose anything is possible.

do you have a link for this information as i am now curious. do you have a link for the filter you purchased too?

anthony
Old 01-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #42
819_FLY

hmmmm the idea behind any Air Filter is too minimise the amount of contaminants entering the engine..... as for K&N there shouldn't be a drama, they are a top quality brand Air Filter... Im not 100% sure on how good their micron rating is but im pretty sure it would be no worse than running a standard filter from factory. If there is that much dust getting into the engine because of the filter then the filter itself would have to be shagged and the turbos are pretty strong so shouldn't be too much of a drama in my eyes, just make sure that the hose clamps if its pod are tight when you fit it and any hoses that you did disconnect when removing the old filter system make sure they are blocked from unfiltered air to be digested. If you are running a new panel filter in the airbox then there should be no dramas just make sure its the right size with outside measurements and you should be in business.... when it comes to air filters the only time you can go wrong is if you dont run an engine with one or it is shagged.... getting a filter to fit should be able to be sourced locally to some stage...

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 01:48 AM   #43
RJO89
EuroFordClub

I think K&N panel filters are pretty readily available nowadays from autobarn. They probably won't have the one you want in stock (almost guarantee it), but they can order any of the catalogue in. Not that expensive either. It's an easier way than replacing the whole lot with a pod filter.
Panel filter replacements, assuming it's not being replaced with a ford one, generally provide a much finer filter, as well as enabling the ability to clean them, rather than replace them. Means that if it's looked after, the filter will last the life of the car. Plus, they sound a bit better as they allow the air to flow through more freely. Not as loud as a pod, obviously, but certainly a little bit over stock at higher revs.

On another note, back on topic in fact, after having the exhaust done a few days ago, haven't noticed any decrease in fuel consumption. Actually a slight increase, but that is more than likely due to the fact that I've been pushing it up into the revs a lot more just to hear that sweet exhaust note :P. In the long run I'm expecting to have it drop from ~8.9 to around about ~8.5ish

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #44
Chicka

Default Focus TDCI Air Filter

Thanks for your thoughts guys...I have now received my filter from England..
Purchased on ebay...Got to me in Cairns in 6 days..
As a matter of interest, I approached Autobarn on three occasions to buy one here,...still don't have a reply from them! I also spoke to Auto One( by email and then per phone)...still no reply...so I just went on ebay and bought one from the UK.Cost me around $ 140.00 including freight.
So much for the local boys helping me out!They couldn't give a stuff!
I did contact the K&N importers ( Rocket Industries in Sydney) and, they did reply....They said ex USA ( ABOUT $70.00) plus my choice of freight...but no freight charges were offered...Just too bloody hard...So Ebay it was...
I am still researching the net before I decide to use the thing...or not!
I have always believed in the quality of the K&n Filters,and had one on my EL Falcon....when installed, the difference in performance was immediately
noticeable..I was extremely happy with it!
I still have some concerns in using it on the TDCI..
Because I am not a young man, I may have trouble in listing the sites than
" can" the use of the K&n Filter....I am working on that!
Back yo you later,
Regards
Chicka :
Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 11:27 PM   #45
819_FLY

Yeh unfortunately I think places like Autobarn and Auto One are into providing parts just for Falcons, Commodores and Imports... everything else they can't be bothered spending their time on, because its too hard for them to flick through a catalogue and ring a number and place an order.... the Townsville folk here are pretty weak aswell when it comes to sourcing parts for Focus'

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #46
Harryin Ford
Starter Motor

LT Zetec: 8.9L city drive
Harryin Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 02:56 AM   #47
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 819_FLY
I drive my American Owned, German Inspired, South African Built, Australian Bought, European Styled, English Powered car. I might have missed something somewhere... 08' LT Ford Focus CL
Japanese designed engine, which is built in Spain from what I've gathered ?!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #48
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

the car that brings the world together! Ah... Kinda nice
Old 21-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #49
bradsxr8
go hard or go home!!

thanks for all the replys!! ended up buying an o6 mod. lx. wife likes it!! i havent driven it yet..... only had it 2 weeks tho. sitting around 7.0l on hyway so thats ok!!
bradsxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #50
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicka
Gooday Guys,
Need some opinions from any Focus or Mondeo Turbo Diesel Owners...
I have just purchased a K&N Filter for my Focus TDCI Hatch.Usually, I do careful research
before committing to making such a purchase...althought, not on this occasion.
I have purchased the filter from the UK,and , as yet,it has not arrived.
Since purchasing, I have read some very bad press on using a k&n filter on a turbo diesel...apparently they allow to much " dust" to enter the system, thereby screwing up the turbo ...... Has anybody an opinion to offer regarding using this filter on a turbo diesel?
Chicka
K+N filters in good condition are about as good as you'll get for filtration out of a single-stage filter, being an oiled filter they trap almost everything. That said, you need to service them reguarly, and make sure that the oil is EVENLY spread across the entire filter area, as any dry patches will allow dust through the filter. Also, some styles of airflow meter (notably hot-wire filters such as many Nissans) are badly affected by the oil (and it's very hard to not over-oil them and still get good coverage), but I think the Duratec motors are run by MAP sensor anyways, and the TD is probably the same.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #51
Blackfocus
Starter Motor

We get 10l/100k out of ours, 2.0 manual 20% highway & 80%around town driving. Ford tell us it is normal, yet the sales man says that his missus gets 8l/100km out of an auto of the same age.

We have put on a K&N and opened the exhaust slightly and it has done nothing. Will probably trade it in soon :
Blackfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #52
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

9.7L / 100km average fuel economy on a 350km run into the country today. Took the kids sight seeing while the boss was busy. Sat on around 120km/h with the a/c on, outside temp varied from 37-40 degrees today out in the West.

Car has done 4000kms, it's a LV XR5T. City average fuel economy sits on around 11.4's.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #53
opium
XR Experiment

Here is what I was getting a few weeks ago..

It's a touch better now like 16.8l/100k

opium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #54
BrisVegas
Noobie

48 litres for 746km on a highway run up to Maryborough over Christmas. Mostly cruise control stuff at 100 or 110 with only a few little detours.

6.52l/100km!
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #55
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

7.5l/100km, 95% city stop start driving..
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #56
RS027
Perth XR5'er

10L/100km city cycle
Ford Rallye Sport Club of WA; Member#64:

Barbagallo Short: 1:01.1779
Barbagallo Long: 1:12.4649
Collie: 55.90

K&N Gen2 57i CAI / 2XS RIP / Airtec Gen3 IC / Mongoose Dump Pipe / Outlaw 200cpsi Cat / Milltek Ultimate Race Catback / Whiteline 24mm RARB / Whiteline FALK / BC Racing BR-Spec Coilovers / RSR Rear Camber Arms / Ferodo DS2500 Pads F&R / Goodridge Braided Brake Lines / Elevate Torque Mount / DS MOD C / MkII RS Clutch & DMF / Quaife LSD
RS027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2009, 02:24 AM   #57
BlackLS
yum

We'll a bout of double demerits and little traffic on the roads running 98ron got me 6.8L/100kms around town.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #58
Rhubarb

I normally do around 8.0 L/100kms (LS Zetec 2.0 Manual) but I get low to mid 7's during school holidays, travelling exactly the same route. Gotta love school holiday traffic !!!!
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #59
Blackfocus
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
We'll a bout of double demerits and little traffic on the roads running 98ron got me 6.8L/100kms around town.
Can you tell ours how to do it
:

05 SX GHIA Territory
08 Dual Cab XL Ranger
RIP 08 LT CL Focus
:
Blackfocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #60
20focus05
I wanna XR5

The wife and I drive our LS like its stolen and get 8.3 for city driving (kicking V6 bums). country driving down to 6.5 to 7. on a drive home from Sydney we got 6.2 from sydney to west wyalong

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post