Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-01-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Mullett
Badly Focused

Default US-Aust parts interchangeable oddities

So I want to order some shocks, and all kinds of other bits to suit my (07) Focus...is the US stuff straight out useless, or did their update model suit the same parts as our LS/LT as far as springs, shocks...etc?

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Don't know. Their current model focus looks completely different (and ugly as a shot meat-pie IMO)

If you're after just regular run of the mill shocks, superchimp auto stock gabriel which aren't too bad for what you pay, they should have the current model focus on their books.

However www.european-parts.net is the place to go for "better" suspension set-ups, ie Eibach.

But as a general rule, a lot of the US focus parts on any model are just ever so slightly different. Probably due to the fact theirs are mostly built in the US or Mexico, i believe. Or possibly to the yanks insistence on making everything as different as possible from the europeans for no real reason.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Supercheap Gabriel shocks and springs are made in Mexico and some are in the US. I would rather pay that bit more and get it from european-parts. The people who have put Eibachs on their car have praised them. So maybe you want to go for that winning formula

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
BlackLS
yum

No current Foc in the US is still the LR Platform.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Mullett
Badly Focused

Yeah, I had a feeling that was the case. They just dropped the duratec into the LR platform and updated it with the LS headlights etc yeah? And of course the LR has different strut and shock lengths to the LS/LT i imagine.

I was hoping to get some stuff out of the US because the shipping and prices are much more favourable. Gabriel shocks are nearly good enough for OEM replacement :P

-RM.

Old 27-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
Mullett
Badly Focused

See below

Engine mount

Cosworth cams

Cheap!

-RM.

Old 28-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Yeah, I had a feeling that was the case. They just dropped the duratec into the LR platform and updated it with the LS headlights etc yeah? And of course the LR has different strut and shock lengths to the LS/LT i imagine.

I was hoping to get some stuff out of the US because the shipping and prices are much more favourable. Gabriel shocks are nearly good enough for OEM replacement :P

-RM.
The headlights look more like the previous model Mondeo. and yeah completely different.

A lot of Mazda3 suspension parts are also out (I know at least the top strut mount plate is different), although the 3 is a LOT more similar than the LR suspension.

Old 28-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
BlackLS
yum

Engine mods on the other hand - I like your thinking.

http://www.cosworth.com/shop_range.php?typeid=6

I was looking at getting some Cossie nicities to get my engine fixed eventually.

Old 28-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Check if Steeda, or other canadian companies have what you want. Canadian dollar is weaker than the U.S.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post