Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Exclamation 2010 HSV Grange to get self park, weight loss in updates

This is from Caradvice, Don't know how accurate the claim is (because it's Caradvice), but here it is:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/74691/20...ark-spy-shots/

Quote:

Despite HSV keeping tight wraps on its E Series 3 range, the CarAdvice spies can bring you exclusive images and details about the new model from the Australian powerhouse.

After exclusively revealing photos of the E Series 2 range of HSVs in August 2009, we are able to bring you images of the E Series 3 Grange. While we can’t publish the original images, these computer generated images show a revitalised Grange that has now also succumb to the LED treatment.

HSV sources suggest the E Series 3 HSV Grange will feature the same 325kW powerplant as its GTS sibling, bringing it to the top of the power tree alongside the GTS. The Grange also benefits from a 33kg weight reduction, expected to make it fractionally faster in unison with the 325kW power-plant.

The reason E Series 3 has arrived so soon after the E Series 2 is due to the new interior set to feature across the entire VE Commodore Series 2 range (can be seen in our previous expose here). Styling modifications to the rest of the HSV range are expected to remain relatively minimal, with the interior benefitting from the bulk of the changes.

The most exciting feature to make its way to the Grange will be self parking technology, according to sources, similar to that seen in the Volkswagen and Lexus range of vehicles. Developed by Siemens VDO (the same German company that was tasked with developing the new VE Commodore Series 2 interior), the self parking technology is called Park Mate and has been in development since 2005.

If the technology, as seen fitted to the vehicle photographed, makes it into the production specification HSV E Series 3 Grange, it will be the first car to utilise the technology from Siemens VDO.

The telling signs of the technology are two additional parking sensors on the front and rear bumper bars. The deeper cut ultrasonic sensors on the front bumper bar are mounted to the edges to allow the vehicle to turn into a parallel park without touching the vehicle in front. The rear, deeper cut ultrasonic sensors are used to identify the size of an empty park and indicate to the driver that it’s an appropriate size for the vehicle.

To activate the system, a driver will slow as they approach an empty parking space. They will engage the system by a button in the vehicle and creep past the space until the car indicates it is big enough to park the vehicle. The driver then manually engages reverse gear and modulates the speed of the car using the brake, allowing the car to steer unassisted into the parking space.

CarAdvice spoke with HSV Media Manager, Mark McCartney about the technology and whether it will makes its way into production. McCartney told CarAdvice:

Unfortunately I cannot comment on any new technology that may or may not be included in our forthcoming MY11 range of vehicles.

Although HSV neither confirms nor denys the system will be used in the 2011 E Series 3 Grange, it is evident that it’s fitted to the test vehicle and would be all too much of a coincidence that Simens VDO, who developed the technology, are also the creators of the Commodore Series 2 interior multi-function display.

The technology would make for an exciting coup in Australian motoring.

Also expected to be available at launch of the HSV E Series 3 range is HSV’s Liquid Petroleum Injection (LPI). HSV claims the system will allow customers the ability to continue reaping the performance advantages of their 6.2L V8, in addition to saving money at the bowser.
I'm really not that fussed about the self-park feature. I'm more interested in the Grange now getting the 325kw motor, and where the 33kg of weight savings has come from and whether or not it will be carried throughout the rest of the range.

The Grange was one of my fave luxo-barges but now they have ruined its look with that stupid front bar treatment. Sad face.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

The Grange has great presence, I always look thrice when seeing one. Would be a lovely car to have.
Old 20-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Old 20-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
GTP-814
love the quad cams

the front end shot looks a lot like a camry at first glance
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
BOSHOG
avenge me

they ruined the best vehicle in their lineup with those driving lights
Old 20-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't like to bad in these CGI's (compared to the spy shot). I'll wait til I see one in the flesh before i judge on the looks as most HSV's have grown on me after not liking them at first.

Self parking IMO is an uneeded gimmick.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
4dlvr
4dlvr

front bar looks silly, big let down
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
they ruined the best vehicle in their lineup with those driving lights
Exactly.

Pity they couldnt have left it looking the same but with the 325kw V8 and the other features.

But I wonder where the 33kg has come from??

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The more I see the new design the more it remind's me of the Mercedes E Class M.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it looks like it has a double chin
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If any car ever needed self-park it is LWBs Holdens which are some of the longest passenger cars on the road.

If the Grange has it, you can bet the upgraded Caprice will have it too.

Self Park, Keyless Entry, Xenon headlights, LED tailights, headrest mounted DVD screens, touch screen control centre. The Caprice and Grange are very compelling argument against the Euros.

The Aussie cars have always been dynamically competitive but have missed out greatly on features (compare Falcon G6E to Mondeo Titanium, the Falcon with its features is almost embarassing in comparison), hopefully we will see the Aussie cars adopting more and more tech.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
seduced_xr
BF XR6

what ever happened to parking the car yourself? no wonder theres so many **** drivers on our roads.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

liking the LVI option.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
If any car ever needed self-park it is LWBs Holdens which are some of the longest passenger cars on the road.

If the Grange has it, you can bet the upgraded Caprice will have it too.

Self Park, Keyless Entry, Xenon headlights, LED tailights, headrest mounted DVD screens, touch screen control centre. The Caprice and Grange are very compelling argument against the Euros.

The Aussie cars have always been dynamically competitive but have missed out greatly on features (compare Falcon G6E to Mondeo Titanium, the Falcon with its features is almost embarassing in comparison), hopefully we will see the Aussie cars adopting more and more tech.
Exactly and that is the market that HSV is eyeing of.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Scott

Nice, not a fan of the fluoros strapped on them but I still love the Grange.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #16
Chopped
as in chopped

I just want to say "The Stylist" renders rock ! TOP JOB, You DA MAN

As for the designs - Meh.
Old 20-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
Deco28

My dad ca barely move his neck and parallel parks his MY10 Caprice in seconds. Damn people learn to drive.

Though, this new feature, is a good advertising ploy.

The CGI's seem to have the front bumper protruding alot more then the spyshots from WHEELS.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This type of car and it's price tag has always suffered from that fact that it is, wait for it, still just a Holden. That means many including most on this forum don't care for it and would never buy one anyway.

The market HSV are pitching it at know this as well. To choose one of these over an equivalent Audi, Beemer or Benz does not happen too much in the real world as one of the reasons that the Euro luxury car market even exists in this country in the first place is because they are not Holdens or even Falcons for that matter. People choose the upmarket Euros for the experience regardless whether the Holden or even the Ford offer better value for money. People choose the more expensive Euro's because, well they can.

And Holden and HSV needs to be more in tune to this. They will need to become more international if they want to be taken seriously at the top end. One way of gaining a higher profile for Holden could be as simple as introducing these cars into Europe as a LH drive wait for it, not Vauxhall, not a Buick or even a Chevrolet but a Holden. They have it already set up so cost now is minimal. Holden could easily launch it's own name into Europe which could be marketed much the same way that Toyota market Lexus. HSV the same as AMG. This could be niche marketed and should be a GM initiative and not just Holden and HSV one. These cars would be fantastic and indeed right at home on some of the autobahns in Germany alone. They would need to improve things like plastics etc but volume would ensure that these measures would be affordable and could be improved. The end result is that the Commodore would improve overall as well.

If Holden ever eyed of the medium to top end market in Europe then I think that they really could make significant inroads in time, provided that the product and quality are right.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
This type of car and it's price tag has always suffered from that fact that it is, wait for it, still just a Holden. That means many including most on this forum don't care for it and would never buy one anyway.

The market HSV are pitching it at know this as well. To choose one of these over an equivalent Audi, Beemer or Benz does not happen too much in the real world as one of the reasons that the Euro luxury car market even exists in this country in the first place is because they are not Holdens or even Falcons for that matter. People choose the upmarket Euros for the experience regardless whether the Holden or even the Ford offer better value for money. People choose the more expensive Euro's because, well they can.

And Holden and HSV needs to be more in tune to this. They will need to become more international if they want to be taken seriously at the top end. One way of gaining a higher profile for Holden could be as simple as introducing these cars into Europe as a LH drive wait for it, not Vauxhall, not a Buick or even a Chevrolet but a Holden. They have it already set up so cost now is minimal. Holden could easily launch it's own name into Europe which could be marketed much the same way that Toyota market Lexus. HSV the same as AMG. This could be niche marketed and should be a GM initiative and not just Holden and HSV one. These cars would be fantastic and indeed right at home on some of the autobahns in Germany alone. They would need to improve things like plastics etc but volume would ensure that these measures would be affordable and could be improved. The end result is that the Commodore would improve overall as well.

If Holden ever eyed of the medium to top end market in Europe then I think that they really could make significant inroads in time, provided that the product and quality are right.

Bud Bud

Good thoughts, the idea of Holden (or HSV) developing its own brand has even been bandied about in the US - Holdens being available at select Chevy or Cadillac dealers. These Holdens would have to be expensive premium performance niche machines as Holden does not have the resources to develop a full range. The cars would mirror the range in Australia and would stand out like nothing else on the roads around US and Europe.

I also think Japan could be a lucrative market for cars like the HSV Grange - big, brash, powerful and foreign. The wealthy Japanese would gobble them up like they have with Corvettes, Hummers and V8 Rovers.
Old 20-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder if the self park takes notice of traffic comeing from behind/overtaking? i can see some bent panels coming up if it does`nt, its a feature we should do without imo, if you can`t park a car you should not be driving.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud

Bud Bud
that would be good but wont happen. holden already send the statesman to the UAE as a chev same with the ss to south africa and hopefully if this police deal goes through holden can send the caprice to america for civilins
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i wonder if the self park takes notice of traffic comeing from behind/overtaking? i can see some bent panels coming up if it does`nt, its a feature we should do without imo, if you can`t park a car you should not be driving.
It basically swings and straightens the car perfectly into the spot, the system also tells you if the car park is big enough for the car. In Malaysia I was a passenger in a Golf GTI with this and it picked up car parks I would have thought too small and would of driven past - it is a fantastic system and very eerie to see in action. Go on Youtube to look at some of the Park-assist videos, Ford has it on some Lincolns in the US.

To answer your question, the driver has to be aware of his surroundings and park the vehicle where it is safe to do so. The system still has reverse sensors and cameras to allow the driver to monitor what is happening behind him.

Its very sci-fi to see working, I feel that it is something which would mess up a lot but apparently its a pretty reliable system.
Old 20-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #23
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Almost certain that self parking requires Electric Power Assisted Steering.

Haven't heard EPAS being on the agenda for the next Commodore. So, can't see this getting up and running without that happening first.

Yes, they uglified it in the name of bling...

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #24
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Not a Fan, but then again the only LWB Sports Sedan i have liked was/is the E55/63.
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #25
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have the selfpark on a Mercedes. The best part of it is that it measures the parking space, and then lets you park very quickly. The accuracy is quite amazing. When you have park often in the inner west of Sydney, it is very handy. I thought it was a **** when it came with the car, but have become a convert.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Imagine doing your license test in something with park-assist.

Examiner: Here we're going to do our low speed maneuver, do a reverse park here.

Kid: No problems *presses button, lets go of wheel*
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #27
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Rice.
Front bar looks like it designed by a Hyundai designer on LSD.
Old 20-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #28
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
But I wonder where the 33kg has come from??
They took away its classy looks and self respect

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #29
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Imagine doing your license test in something with park-assist.

Examiner: Here we're going to do our low speed maneuver, do a reverse park here.

Kid: No problems *presses button, lets go of wheel*

haha.
What happens if in 10 years this becomes a standard feature in cars...?

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #30
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does it also come with an assist button to push it off a cliff aswell?

Disappointed in HSV lately. GTS engine is good, but styling.....uhhhh yeah.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post