Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Default 5.0 V8 go kart: The Mynx

My old mans mate owns a garage in an industrial estate in Hervey Bay, and every now and then i help out and do some work to my car while he tinkers with his CNC routers for kitchen designing.

But what the garage was originally used for, was to build The Mynx.

The Mynx is a 100% designed and built in the Garage by Alf Kalkaus, founder of Austuff Manufacturing. It features a Fiber glass body like that of an old Morgan, but thats where the similarities end.
Its powered by a Ford 5.0 litre V8 Fuel injected engine putting out roughly over 200 kw at the rear wheels. Mind you this is a 2 seater fiber glass car, It handles like a go cart and due to its incredible light weight body its shoots off like a rocket.
It has all leather seats, sound system, convertable roof and was made to order to fit your own unique styling preferences.
3 of these where made, in automatic aswell as manual and there are plans for a sequential shift the same as that out of a BA falcon.

It uses all perfermance brand parts and anything that isnt was made by hand, and even me driving it for my Formal last year, it had everyone thinking it was a morgan untill the deistinctive V8 rumble bellowed from the exhuast system Alf had made entirely himself right down to the headers, to get exactly what was needed.

At the moment the website is down due to a lack of interest as the only advertising it got was at the odd car show. Heres the description that was on the site
This is a new Mynx V8 Built by Austuff Manufacturing and comes with 12 month warranty and Registration - This is an ICV and is fully Queensland ADR compliant for full Registration - Motor is NEW 5L Windsor with P3 heads not reconditioned and is set up for LPG with duel billet aluminum fillers - Gearbox is Ford Factory reconditioned 4R70W electronic 4 speed Automatic with Bauman Programable controller but is set at Ford standard settings - The paint is clear over base 2 pack - Bumpers, Grill and Tail Light are polished 316 stainless steel - Interior is all UV safe Australian Leather - Wheels are 16x7 100 spoke wire knock on including spare - Front tyres and spare 205/55/R16 Rear are 225/50/R16 - 4 Bar Rear with watts linkage and coil over shock absorbers - Differential is 308 limited slip - 4 wheel disk brakes with alloy calipers - MP3 computable C/D Player - Hornet engine immobilizer - Gauges are VDO
Heres a few pics, any questions just ask and ill gladly answer (:

Old 28-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Looks like a great, fun toy, and a lot of work has clearly gone into it, but does it really require two identical threads?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...86#post3280386
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 28-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Love the Laser/Meteor steering wheel

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 28-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

pretty cool beast.
Old 28-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
black mamba
harsh but fair

must admit i thought it was a morgan for sure! is this a one off?
Old 28-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Looks like a great, fun toy, and a lot of work has clearly gone into it, but does it really require two identical threads?

well i thought it belonged a spot in the show n shine thread as well as general automotive discussion, tried re writing it to fit each thread seperately but i'm working at the moment so i thought it might as well go.

And Black mamba 3 of em have been made all up, 2 of which where sold and the first original white one is His sunday cruiser.
Old 28-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I first read the title to this my first thoughts sprang back to that wonderful car of Don Nichols from the Golden era of Can Am . The Shadow Mk 1 , colloquially known as the " Go Kart on Steroids " also the " Go Kart with a Dining Table on the back " . The theory was to reduce the frontal area to reduce drag , it was so low the drivers could not stand their feet up straight and had to splay them sideways . It was driven once by Vic Elford and once by George Follmer who both swore they would never drive it again as it was so dangerous . The tiny front wheels meant miniature front brakes which meant no stopping power , also to get grip the front wheels were 10 inches in diameter by 15 inches wide . This was a bizarre car to say the least . Power was never a problem though having an 8.1 litre injected Chev punching out in excess of 800 BHP and was clocked at 190 MPH .

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...:1&um=1&itbs=1

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/9...Chevrolet.html
Old 28-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Nice car,

Love the look and idea of an old car with modern mechanicals. I visited PRB with the Sprite club several years ago and they were toying with the idea of releasing a PRB style car with clubman chasis and a Bugeye body.

Would invest in one if the price was right.
Old 28-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I object to it being referred to as a gokart, it isnt. And besides, a gokart is quicker than that anyway.
Old 28-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Zephyr Mk1
Starter Motor

Very nice looking car, great power to weight ratio.

Needs woodgrain steering wheel
Old 28-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers

It doesn't require two threads.
Closed Thread