Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-03-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
chrispie123
Banned

Default cat hit out front of house

hey just got home from night out to find a cat front of my house hit by a car, we took it in and have nursed him, none of the owners know it, what should we do keep it? it has a broken leg im going to take it to the vet tommorow?

chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 01:33 AM   #2
gtfpv
GT

you can get emergency vetinary care after hours . some vets are 24 hours . the cat may die tonight . it is up to you.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 01:43 AM   #3
holmsy
Banned

check ya yellow pages and see if there is any 24 hour vets in the area. otherwise take ya chances and take it in the morning. but if there is fair bit of blood it could easily die. plus it could simply die from being scared and shocked and hurting its self more so yeh.
good luck
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 02:04 AM   #4
Skotty
Banned

I would take it straight away... actually upsets me seeing animals hurt... I watched my old cat get hit by a car and yeah... i'll shuddup before I get myself upset...
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
ford1
Starter Motor

nah leave it! it will be a nice fry up for breakfast in the morning
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
tim2x

Sorry to hear that mate.

If you want to keep it, Dont get too attached to it, Same thing happen to my girlfriend, she had a cat with a broken leg in front of her place and they took it the vet and it died under anesthetic.

Good luck mate and lets hope the little guy survives
tim2x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
Skotty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2x
Good luck mate and lets hope the little guy survives
Yes, lets hope!
Old 18-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
chrispie123
Banned

well took it to vet this morning no breaks or anything seems to be walking on it ok, gunna put signs up just incase its some kids pet, but yeh well keep it if nothing happens
Old 18-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #9
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispie123
well took it to vet this morning no breaks or anything seems to be walking on it ok, gunna put signs up just incase its some kids pet, but yeh well keep it if nothing happens
That is very nice of you, many people would not be that compassionate to an animal or considerate about the potential owners. And certainly not that willing to fork out money for someone else's cat.... So well done mate.

I acutally hit a cat once, around the corner from my home on a fairly busy road but late at night coming home from work. I went back and I thought he was dead as he was lying there not moving, but I picked him up and he was still breathing so I took him straight to the 24 hour vet. He had just been stunned, but was largely ok with some cuts and bruises and had a couple of stitches. I brought him home and we looked after him for a few days. He decided one day to wander off and we never knew where he went until once, we saw him sitting out the front of a house a few streets away which looked like his home. There were kids toys etc out the front.

I was glad I didnt leave him there.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats good to hear mate. Alot of people wouldnt have helped the cat and would have left it to die. I dont know why people dont stop if they hit a cat or dog.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
bob^
LPS

So who foots the bill then? You have to until you find the owners?

I was driving along a road with one of my mates when a dog ran out from the side of the road and straight into his rear door. It left a decent dint in the car too!
Then the dog ended up running off.

The owner was on the side of the road, and appologised, but made no offer of paying for the door to get fixed, nor did my mate ask.
He said he felt bad, I said he was stupid.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
chrispie123
Banned

we werent the ones that hit it but saw it on way home from drinking and my missus wouldnt leave it there we named it skittles
Old 18-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
boss-290

Quote:
You and your Missus are very decent people. Well done.

I lost my kitty a few years ago from being hit by a car. Its very sad. :(

Glad to hear the cat is ok.
Old 18-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
Scott

Quote:
we named it skittles
lol, Lucky would have been apt too.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #15
5L
[ 5L ]

pets should be kept inside, then this wouldnt happen. im not a cat person but our dog gets kept in the backyard and doesnt roam the streets at night. i see heaps of cats roaming the streets at night.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
pets should be kept inside, then this wouldnt happen. im not a cat person but our dog gets kept in the backyard and doesnt roam the streets at night. i see heaps of cats roaming the streets at night.
True.

My cat now is an indoor cat.

He is never allowed outside. It may sound cruel but it is for the best.

He is happy enough though.
Old 18-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #17
chrispie123
Banned

our lab is always in the backyard or accasionally inside the only time it ever sees the front is if its on a lead, pets are to big a thing to loose, i couldnt imagine my dog being hit , some people really dont deserve to have animals, if we keep this cat it is indoors only
Old 18-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #18
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Nice work mate. I have no understanding how a person can see an injured animal and just keep walking, driving past.

Our cat was hit out the front of our house in August 03, he was hit by a VB commodore doing about 90kph up our street, he never stood a chance. Poor bugger. The VB stopped about 50-60 metres up the road, we were outside at the time, opened his door, had a look and slammed the door and sped off up the street... a pathetic response from a pathetic individual.

Jack

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #19
XRchic
Hello

Once a young girl in her car hit our cat when driving past our house when we werent home, and she was apparently so upset that she knocked on all the neighbours doors to find out where he lived... Evan wasnt really injured and took off in fright and she spent ages trying to find him! She ended up leaving a message with our neighbours with her phone number, very apologetic!

Evan turned up when we got home and was fine except for a few scratches. I rang th girl back to tell her the cat was ok.

Some people are nice.

Oh an the cat I hit, I paid for vet bill, since I hit it.

And our cat is an outside cat during the day and is inside at night. However, he spends about two hours a day outside in our fairly large garden, or on of the nice soft outdoor chairs... LOL and then does as he is doing now.. lounges around in the the lounge on a couch watching tv or nibbling on his food. I think he needs more exercise. LOL.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #20
Skotty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
And our cat is an outside cat during the day and is inside at night. However, he spends about two hours a day outside in our fairly large garden, or on of the nice soft outdoor chairs... LOL and then does as he is doing now.. lounges around in the the lounge on a couch watching tv or nibbling on his food. I think he needs more exercise. LOL.
Haha yes, he does... my old cat was a inside cat, he was allways lay on the window seal, and look outside... I took him outside once... lol stupid cat just went running straight back in!

Oh, and for the person who started the tread, looks like ya already claimed the cat - attached to it if ya named it already :P
Old 18-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #21
3vXT

when i was little (10yo or so)my family was on a trip to queensland and my dad hit two dogs that ran out infront of the car. killed the crap out of them infront of the owners and their kids. everyone was upset but the owners were very understanding, even offered to pay for the damage to the car (headlight i think, they were big dogs) though i dont think the old man took their money.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #22
StookEB

We've had a couple of cats (brother and sister) for many years, they died last year of old age around 16 or so. They were always out doors, though we do live in the country. Living in the country and moving multiple times gave them the best road sense and fighting ability, but the male only fought. He nearly killed himself fighting other cats multiple times.

To the OP, It sounds like the cats future is set.
Old 18-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #23
XRCISM
Speed Demon

Good on you for having some humanity .... I was driving along in the pouring rain once and saw a dog in the gutter. I stopped to see if it was dead but found it to still be breathing! I took it straight to the vet but unfortunately it was so badly injured it had to be put down. Question is - what type of person hits an animal and leaves it suffering? Probably someone who didn't want to get their hair wet.

Good Luck with Skittles
Old 18-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #24
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

my old old house this old wicked witch come barreling down our street(down hill) ran over our cat.. and the cat was going 'round in circles either broken legs or broken back.. or both.. only front legs working... back weren't working... we ended up putting it down.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2007, 11:59 PM   #25
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Its good to see so many good people here. I love all animals. I dont have any time for cat haters and dog haters.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #26
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
my old old house this old wicked witch come barreling down our street(down hill) ran over our cat.. and the cat was going 'round in circles either broken legs or broken back.. or both.. only front legs working... back weren't working... we ended up putting it down.
I hope that ***** burns in hell. Sorry for your loss, poor cat. It must of hurt.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 01:14 AM   #27
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

yeah we sorta noted every time she went past as 'the ***** that killed our cat' or similar to that affect.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post