Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-04-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default Drivers Footrest

It gives me the **** that there is no driver's footrest in my LR Focus.

I've been told there are a number of Mazda ones I could get from a wreckers that bolt in, but I'd rather have a Ford item.

Are there any Ford models that had a driver's footrest that could be easily removed and then refitted in the Focus?

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Put a ford badge on the mazda one.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
matty88

The Lasers have them, not sure if they are a bolt on job though
matty88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i had this issue with my ba, so i fitted a EL drivers footrest... they have been removed for safety :(
Old 13-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
It gives me the **** that there is no driver's footrest in my LR Focus.

I've been told there are a number of Mazda ones I could get from a wreckers that bolt in, but I'd rather have a Ford item.

Are there any Ford models that had a driver's footrest that could be easily removed and then refitted in the Focus?
Why not just get the Mazda one. Your not going to see it and when it comes to small cars, Mazda and Ford are partners anyway.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeStRaFe
i had this issue with my ba, so i fitted a EL drivers footrest... they have been removed for safety :(
Anyone have any idea how this is a safety item? Every other car I have ever driven has one, including all the Fords up to the BA. Even my VL Commodore povo pack SL wagon paddock basher down the farm has one (not that I rest my left foot much down there!). Likewise the first new car I ever bought - a $18500 Hyundai Lantra had one.

On a supremely capable long distance car like the Falcon this annoys me royally and I made my own for the BA XR6 we had.

To me it seems some penny pinching gone wrong. Almost as stupid as not offering cruise even as an option on an XR5 Focus.

If there was some cogent reason that someone can explain then it might make more sense.
Old 13-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Much safer with them I think, so miss not having one in my Ute.

Will have to get one from somewhere as it would make a difference
to me.
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #8
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
VE commodores still have them.

Removing them is a cheap way to improve NCAP rating whilst making cars harder to drive :
Old 14-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Nashy86

I never use the one in my EL, footrests have always annoyed me that they are so narrow. If i jump on the brakes in a hurry I prefer to have something solid under my other left foot that I can use to brace myself back into the seat, rather than something that only sits under the left half of my foot!
I've spent a fair bit of time in my parents 2 BF's and never found it a problem
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
VE whilst making cars harder to drive :
Please enlighten me as to how not having a footrest make it harder to drive a car.

This will be good!!!
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Ba's/Territories still have a a flat angled surface where the footrest wouldve been on previous models- Ive driven both and didnt miss the footrest. I remeber reading that removing the footrest lessens the force on your knee in a crash?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Please enlighten me as to how not having a footrest make it harder to drive a car.

This will be good!!!
Surprised someone of your calibre, presumably having driven on trackdays and driver training courses, doesnt know the merits of having a left footrest.

Perhaps methods of car control and advanced driving techniques have changed over the years. I was taught in my advanced driving course some years ago that its best to have the lower body and legs well supported with the left foot on a footrest to enable the legs to be supported against the sides of the console and side trim to maintain good control over the pedals when inertia forces are acting against your legs and lower body when steering and braking.

Without a footrest the left leg is loose, and you dont have as much control over the pedals (and also the steering), with your arms also fighting against the inertia forces from your unbalanced body, as well as trying to steer.

I have a footrest in my BA Ghia and makes for finer control of the accelerator and brake pedal and wouldnt do without it (see thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=101238)

As far as safety is concerned, I would think that to be able to steer, brake and control a car around an obstacle or whatever is much safer than running into it or something else. But then the majority of drivers on the road probably dont know how to react in such a situation anyway, so the safety experts think it best just to delete the footrest to make it safer in a collision.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #13
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Silver Ghia, you're right on the money, and no, car control methods haven't changed. It just seems cars have :(

Good example, next time the V8's are on, watch for the shot of the drivers feet, all the drivers that don't left foot brake use the footrest.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8

This will be good!!!

Oh easy. Normal driving no difference. But as Silver Ghia says...

If you cornering/braking quickly, say at a track day, it helps particularly with an auto to brace yourself using the footrest.

The comparison betwenn my TS50 and the BA I had was stark.

Cheers
Old 17-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
rennie
BA Falcon, AUII. R.I.P.

In my BA I only noticed the difference when someone told me. I found it more comfortable to be honest.

AUII Forte: 18 Inch Tickford Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit, Kicker Speakers, Lowered, Tinted Windows.

R.I.P.

Current: 2004 BA Silk Falcon Futura

Mods:
Tinted Windows
Wheels: RJR 18" Tremors.
Sound: Soon: JVC DV7205 DVD Head Unit, Blaupunkt 480W RMS 4Ch Amp x 2, Polk Momo 6.5" Splits, Polk Momo 6"x9", Pheonix Gold 1500W Mono Block Amp, Earthquake SubZero Subwoofer

rennie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #16
renegade334

I agree with all the above posts, I think it's safer to have one so you can stabalise yourself when braking hard etc...

I was trying to think of a safety reason to remove it, maybe in an accident it's automatic to use it to brace yourself which locks your knee in a straight position, when the force of you body pushes against you rleg it can cause fracture or dislocation...

Thats just a theory anyway...
renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 12:36 AM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade334
I agree with all the above posts, I think it's safer to have one so you can stabalise yourself when braking hard etc...

I was trying to think of a safety reason to remove it, maybe in an accident it's automatic to use it to brace yourself which locks your knee in a straight position, when the force of you body pushes against you rleg it can cause fracture or dislocation...

Thats just a theory anyway...
With the footrest, your left leg is actually bent more, as the distance between the seat and your foot would be less. Without the footrest especially drivers with shorter legs, the leg would be straighter, or even straight, which wouldnt be very good in a collision.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #18
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never thought I'd see so much compassion and seriousness over a ****ing foot rest.

I actually googled car foot rests to see what you were complaining about and all I can say it this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

:

if I can fully stretch my left leg out as I'm cruising in my Jag I'm happy, in the cortina if my left foot is either on the clutch or out of the way.

How does a foot rest make you drive any better?? I don't get it.

Old 19-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #19
Nashy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
With the footrest, your left leg is actually bent more, as the distance between the seat and your foot would be less. Without the footrest especially drivers with shorter legs, the leg would be straighter, or even straight, which wouldnt be very good in a collision.
the difference between sitting on a footrest and sitting on the floor would be maybe....30-40mm? if thats the difference between having the leg straight or slightly bent then you're sitting too far away from your pedals in the first place IMO
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #20
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
How does a foot rest make you drive any better?? I don't get it.
Learn to read, it's already been said why. If it seems odd/stupid to have such an in-depth discussion on footrests, fit one, and actually try the difference out.

Quote:
the difference between sitting on a footrest and sitting on the floor would be maybe....30-40mm?
It depends on the car, I just measured both of my cars and it's more like 150mm, plus the footrest is at a more comfortable/supportive angle than the floor.

Old 19-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
spudte

Yup sounds like a good excuse to save 30 odd bux.

Safety wise there is more they should be focussing on. More airbags, better brakes/braided lines standard etc etc.

Couldnt go without my footrest on my AU
Old 19-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #22
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Aaaaaaaand onto more important things.... like breathing, eating and sleeping.

If not having a footrest seriously raises this many people's attention, I'm shocked. For those of you complaining about it, it mustn't have been that much of an issue because you all bought your cars without one.
Old 19-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #23
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there's no foot rest in the normal position, shouldn't it have rubber or something for you to grip with and to stop the carpet from wearing through?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #24
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Well XE-AUIII Falcons have all been equipped with, or have had the privision to easily fit a footrest, so maybe you need to revise your last comments zetec. Fitting one to most cars is as easy as drilling 2 holes for the bolts to hold the footrest.

Maybe it needs to be pointed out to everyone who has only ever recieved formal training to get their P plates. All driving courses, race driving training courses and race drivers have accepted and proved that footrests are an important part of 'driving', as opposed to 'steering' or 'commuting'.

JMO - I've lifted the carpet on several BA/BF's, and there's nothing to stop wear.

Old 19-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #25
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Aaaaaaaand onto more important things.... like breathing, eating and sleeping.

If not having a footrest seriously raises this many people's attention, I'm shocked. For those of you complaining about it, it mustn't have been that much of an issue because you all bought your cars without one.
Come on Matt, you don't have to fly the flag all the time.

The reason I asked in the first place was because during my CAMS testing, the instructor mentioned it would be better to have a footrest to shorten the distance to get to the clutch (and that the pedal configuration on the focus make heel and toe a little awkward... but that's another discussion)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 19-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #26
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So is worn out carpet in this area an issue? If it is, I'd definately be fitting one (a footrest).
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #27
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
Learn to read, it's already been said why. If it seems odd/stupid to have such an in-depth discussion on footrests, fit one, and actually try the difference out.

I just took my mums car out for a spin, it has a footrest and it makes absolutely no difference in driving ability!!

If you "need" a foot rest, maybe you should learn to read and go watch the video in my previous post!

Old 20-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #28
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Steve, not flying the flag, just personally don't find it something I care about. I drive a BF without one and like having the rooms to stretch my leg out. Never had one in the Focus either. Have always done plenty of highway k's

One wouldn't go astray but if adding one was going to increase chances of me getting injured I'd just live without it.

I remember back in my sales days people used to rabbit on about it and it drove me insane, I never understood how people could not buy a car over such a little feature. I agree that at a race track it'd make things better and probably be ideal, but in the abscence of one it hardly makes a particular car un-driveable and heinoulsy unsafe. That's my point. Nice to have, not critical. Hence my rather blunt remarks at some of the comments.

At the end of the day we all have our opinions.
Old 20-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #29
melbzetec

Oh I agree for highway driving.......couldn't care less.

It's actually more where you have lots of gear changing, and constantly moving on and off the clutch.

In that instance I have a bad habit of the foot hovering over the clutch pedal, and the instructor simply said it would be better to have a driver's footrest next to the clutch so the foot could move quickly across.

Old 20-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #30
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
I just took my mums car out for a spin, it has a footrest and it makes absolutely no difference in driving ability!!

If you "need" a foot rest, maybe you should learn to read and go watch the video in my previous post!
BS. I'm always using mine in corners and that's on a car with tight fitting sports seats (about 2mm clearance for the side and bottom bolsters). This is on the road on my normal road tyres. On track days with R spec tyres it is much more useful.

They also help under braking and can save on clutch wear. Guys like Frank Gardiner, Carroll Smith and a lot of driving instructors (including John Bowe's) recommend them and use them but what would they know?

If you don't "need" a foot rest maybe you aren't cornering hard enough, you aren't aware of how hard your car can turn or you have no idea of their benefits. Being pulled around by lateral and longitudinal G's while steering, braking and accelerating doesn't help anyones car control.

Give me the benefits of primary safety (being able to avoid a crash) over secondary safety (damage caused during/after the crash) any day!
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post