Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #31
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Can dish it, can't take it? It's the moto of cricket in Australia me thinks. Let me know which part of my post you didn't agree with, because its based on fact as far as I know.
we play hard but expect it back too. of course tempers get frayed at times and having been at the top, normally winning for so long, it is difficult to accept defeat while it is happening. we do not complain like some teams and threaten to end a tour. we just get on with the next one.
and to my knowledge aren't we the only team who has a player walk when given not out in the 2nd most important odi.
we do not cheat like tendulkar, dhoni and harbi (our current players anyway, but being 1/4 nz i will never forget greg chappell's two incidents back in 1981), we just play hard. i cannot think of many teams who play within the spirit of the game all the time, certainly not the 3 teams playing this year.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah, it awesome watching Harbijan smash 27 of 19balls.

Funny how the crowd stopped booing and ST(insert expletive:P)U. Pity it rained again, the visitors were on fire at the end.

Go the Indians.
Wasnt really that good watching him. I can give as good as i get buy not worth it on here so no sheep jokes unfortunatly. Im aussie through and through, one eyed etc etc so no matter what you say that wont change. People are just jealous of Australias strangle hold on world cricket
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #33
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
We do not complain like some teams and threaten to end a tour. we just get on with the next one.
Can you blame them? Reverse the situation, Aus are touring India and Australia have been knocked out of test series contention thnks to horrific umpiring decisions and unfair play. To add to this one of your top players has been banned for 3 tests without a scrap of evidence, only one parites word against another. It's hard to get on with the next game when the series is out the window. By the way, India did manage to get on with the next game, infact they won it in convincingly. Had the 2nd test not been a farce, the 4th and final test would have been a thrilling series decider.

Quote:
and to my knowledge aren't we the only team who has a player walk when given not out in the 2nd most important odi.
Sadly Gilly dosn't represent the rest of the Aussie team, nor has he seemed to have rubbed off in the slightest on any of the players. Sadly the one of the few players I admire in the Aussie team is on his way out.

Quote:
we do not cheat like tendulkar, dhoni and harbi (our current players anyway, but being 1/4 nz i will never forget greg chappell's two incidents back in 1981), we just play hard.
Please elaborate on how Tendulkar, Dhoni and Harbi cheated, I am not aware of any such games, but am interested.

Wasn't Australia's greatest player banned for a year or two? And when Murli took his reccord, instead of congratulating him, he's labled a thrower. Here's a video or two of Ponting cheating - in that farce of a second test.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YqFw-GzGeNM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BcbJOkeyKBA&feature=related

I was in India at the time of the second test and got to see the otherside of the story and as a massive follower of Australian cricket, this tour has got me very annoyed. The Aussies are always saying they need better competition, and when such a team arrives, the brilliant cricket is ruined by ridiculous behaviour and antics. In my opinion (and many others share it) the Aussies have been the worst sledgers in world cricket for atleast the last decade, which is fine - makes the game more intersting IMO. But as soon as someone or a team dishes it back, the Aussies cry faul, it's pathetic.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #34
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
Wasnt really that good watching him. I can give as good as i get buy not worth it on here so no sheep jokes unfortunatly. Im aussie through and through, one eyed etc etc so no matter what you say that wont change. People are just jealous of Australias strangle hold on world cricket
Yeah, thats it.

You must have missed the 20Twenty World Cup?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #35
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah, thats it.

Mate go back and support your Indians IDGAF
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 04-02-2008, 07:21 PM   #36
XR8putts

Not capable of a decent conversation are you? If you DGAF then why open the thread let alone respond? It's a forum - there will be people who oppose your view, get over it.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #37
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Not capable of a decent conversation are you? If you DGAF then why open the thread let alone respond? It's a forum - there will be people who oppose your view, get over it.
I never opened the thread : . Yes im capable of a decent convo. I know there are people that oppose other ppls views, thats what forums do So how bout you hop on your sheep and ride away :togo: . Anyway back on topic
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #38
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
I never opened the thread :

- you're very skilled then!

Instead of "jumping on my sheep and riding away", I'll send a sheep your way, In the hope of you riding the sheep in a completely different way which may ultimately result in half-intelligent offspring. Because you sir, are a complete moron.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #39
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yeah, thats it.

20 / 20 ?

= Backyard cricket ! Who cares !

The only REAL cricket is Test Cricket. The best team wins, the flukes don't !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #40
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
And when Murli took his reccord, instead of congratulating him, he's labled a thrower.
But he is !

15 degrees.............

Oh yeah they changed the rules to suit so he could continue bowling.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #41
g220ba
FGX XR8

why the hell are you arguing like a bunch of 10year olds.

its simple australia wo the test series 2-1
Australia won the20/20 convincingly
India threaten to go home after one of the closest tests in a while albeit through some bad decisions but still a great test.
H Singh i feel shouldv'e had his ban upheld only because of his 5 previous indiscretions.
And we should be looking forward to a bloody good one day series if last night is anything to go by.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #42
prydey
Rob

puts99 - i have a fiew issues with your version of events.

1. i can agree with horrific umpiring but thats cricket but where was the unfair play?

2. sledging and racism are very different. we all know what happens when an aussie comments on the opponents colour (ask darren lehmann) but when it comes our way, we are apparently just sooks. sure there is a lack of evidence but that goes both ways. symonds is not one to make a big deal out of things. you would know this if you saw how he handled himself on the tour of india in october. i can't say for sure whether what was accused of harbijhan did or didn't happen but once the accusation is made it has to be investigated.

3.'walking' is up to the individual and those who don't walk should not be labelled cheats. the bad decisions and good decisions often cancel each other out. everyone whinged about symonds not walking but in the very next test he was given out lbw to an inside edge. thats just the way it works when the umpiring is human and for me thats the way it should stay. gilly famously walked (in the world cup too i believe) when replays clearly showed he was not out. where is the sense in that. let the umpires do their job and walk when given. this is where you can admire a player. tendulker is one of these, as is lara and many others. they accept the decision straight away with barely a shake of the head even when it goes against them.

4.how is ponting claiming a catch that he grounded any different from appealing for everything that comes past the bat or off the pad. its easy to find incidents to back up your argument but there are plenty of examples of excessive appealing which the sub continent is reknowned for.

as for our stranglehold on world cricket, i do believe it is loosening quite a bit. you only need look at the recent test series with india to see how clost it is. india could've easily won the series had they made the right selections right from the first test. sehwag should've been a starter right off the bat as should've pathan. dravid should always be no.3 not opening. all if, buts and maybe's though. i think the no.1 spot will remain ours for a while longer though as aus and india are both old test sides.

:
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #43
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Please elaborate on how Tendulkar, Dhoni and Harbi cheated, I am not aware of any such games, but am interested.
how soon we forget

Quote:
In the second test of India's 2001 tour of South Africa, match referee Mike Denness fined 4 Indian players for excessive appealing as well as the Indian captain Sourav Ganguly for not controlling his team. Tendulkar was given a suspended ban of one game in light of alleged ball tampering. Television cameras picked up images that suggested Tendulkar may have been involved in cleaning the seam of the cricket ball in the second test match between India and South Africa at St George's Park, Port Elizabeth.[29] This can, under some conditions, amount to altering the condition of the ball. The match referee Mike Denness found Sachin Tendulkar guilty of ball tampering charges and handed him a one Test match ban.[30] The incident escalated to include allegations of racism and led to Mike Denness being barred from entering the venue of the third test match. After a thorough investigation, the International Cricket Council revoked the official status of the match and the ban on Tendulkar was lifted. Tendulkar's ball tampering charges & Sehwag's ban for excessive appealing triggered a massive backlash from the Indian public and even the Indian parliament.

All this for a 1 match ban for Tendulkar.

Game. Set. Match.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #44
XR8putts

I wasn't aware of that, hence I said I wasn't aware. Now I am, not a case of selective forgetfulness on my part, just ignorance. I'm not impressed by Tendulkar's actions on that day, but I don't think that comes close to some of the things the Australian greats have done.

Tendulkar did wrong and was thus punished, fair enough. But then the ICC lifted the ban? Ah are you proving your own point or not?

Any player/team have had dark moments, Warne was banned for a year or two was he not? You know, illegal drugs - but hey, Murli chucks it dosn't he. Slightly worse than one match that was then lifted for Tendulkar I reccon. Then theres the biggest ever cheating farce in cricketing history, the underarm delivery. But that was an Australian offence so I guess I shouldn't mention it.

I'm going to leave this here and discuss the following ODIs only. It's pointless. There are so many Aussie cricket followers who are completely ignorant and can not admit when their team is at fault or a team has been hard done by, but worst of all, when challenged and at times even beaten by a rival team. I got the same reception when NZ won the ChappleHadley 3-0, you know the one, with all the 330+ scores and chases. There was no controversy in that series, but do you think the majority of the people here accepted the result, nope. The Australian Cricket team is the TWR of the cricket world.

Last edited by XR8putts; 04-02-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #45
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

The point of my post is India are known to kick up a fuss when caught out. Australia may be the 'arrogant powers' on the field. Off the field India, Pakistan and to an extent Sri Lanka are the political powers. when it comes to cricket politics there is no ICC unless I stands for India. These countries get what they want.
Another thing, Warne was banned for something he did off the field, yeah it was silly but what he did was never going to help his team win was it?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #46
XR8putts

I said I'd leave it ahwell. Let me know if you think it helped his on-the-field performance or not DoreSlamR.

Quote:
Bookmakers
In September 1994 during the Singer World Series in Sri Lanka, an Indian introduced himself to Mark Waugh as 'John' a bookmaker who wanted information about games during the current series and the Australian summer. The following evening Waugh introduced John to Warne who received A$5000 'no stings attached'. John contacted Warne by telephone three times during the Ashes series in 1994/95. Warne supplied John with information on the composition of the team and the likely state of the pitch for certain matches.[11]

In February 1995 Ian McDonald, the Team Manager had questioned both Warne and Waugh after being tipped off by a journalist. Both made admissions to McDonald, Alan Crompton (the chairman of ACB) and Graham Halbish (the CEO of the ACB) and both were fined — Warne A$8,000 and Waugh A$10,000.

Having been kept secret by the ACB (although they had informed the ICC), it was only revealed in December 1998 when the Sydney Morning Herald reported that both were involved in passing information to bookmaker.[12]

A report by Rob O'Regan QC described the fines as "inadequate" and suggested that a "suspension for a significant time" was more appropriate. Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka all called for life bans [13] but the ICC couldn't act as "you can't be tried twice for the same crime."[14] Former Australian cricketer Neil Harvey also called for bans. Yeah, the 'I' in ICC stands for India right DoorSlammer? I see why you dislike those three cricket teams now.

Charged with bringing the game into disrepute
Warne was charged with bringing the game into disrepute in 1999 following his comments about the Sri Lankan captain Arjuna Ranatunga.[15]

Positive test for banned substance
In February 2003, just prior to the start of the 2003 Cricket World Cup, Warne was sent home after a drug test during the one-day series in Australia earlier in the year returned a positive result for a banned diuretic.

Warne initially claimed that he took only one of what he called a "fluid tablet" – the prescription drug Moduretic — in an attempt to improve his appearance.[16]

In the end, the panel found Warne guilty of breaching the ACB's drug code, and imposed a one-year ban.[17] It was further revealed, and confirmed by Warne in a subsequent television interview, that he had actually taken two of the pills.[citation needed] The substance he took is banned because it can be used to mask the presence of other drugs. The Judge in the case found both Shane Warne and his mother's testimony to be "unreliable".[citation needed]

At the time, Warne took the view that the ban imposed would lengthen his Test playing career.[18] The leniency of the one year ban was criticised by the World Anti Doping Agency (WADA) [19] although WADA, in turn, was criticised by Warne for interfering in the matter.[20]

During his suspension, he considered working for the St Kilda Australian rules football club as an assistant coach, before the Australian Football League told the club that it would be inappropriate to have somebody suspended for a drug offence advising its players.[citation needed] He also received invitations to play in various celebrity "park cricket" teams, and the newly renamed Cricket Australia reversed its decision on whether Warne, as a contracted player, should be allowed to play in such matches. He also became a TV commentator for Channel 9 in Australia during this time.
I didn't know about the Waugh scandal. But I guess those of you that did wern't exactly going to discuss it. Glasshouses?

This really is it from on this angle. Bring on the ODIs.

Last edited by XR8putts; 04-02-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #47
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

As you said before there are bad eggs for every country. money goes a long way, Waugh and Warne were paid for pitch information. I personally don't remember too much about that scandal as i was 12 at the time. One i do remember is Hanse Cronje getting done for match fixing and as far as i'm concerned that is a worse offense....

In the end all i want to see is a fair (as possible) game of cricket. Right now i think the politics is taking over the game and it takes away from the spectacle.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #48
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Puts99 can you explain why you hate the Australian cricket team so much? You seem to be on a one man mission to destroy their name on here. Did they do something to personally offend you at some stage or do you just not like Aussies in general?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #49
XR8putts

RedXR, I'm actually trying to defend India!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #50
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
RedXR, I'm actually trying to defend India!
All of the Indians I know and all the Indians that I have spoken too all agree that the ICB has too much power over the ICC and that there are serious issues due to the ICB's money and size. It is becoming fact that the Indian players now know that they can get away with anything and they are starting to abuse that knowledge.

The ICC is scares of the ICB because they know that the ICB has enough $$$ and size to challenge them. The ICC really need to stand tall and make a point out of India, the way some of their players have been behaving has been appalling. The way their management has been behaving is just down right disgusting and how some of their supporters ove rin India have been behaving is down right offensive.

Australia may not always have the best behaved players but at least when we screw up we admit it.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #51
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
All of the Indians I know and all the Indians that I have spoken too all agree that the ICB has too much power over the ICC and that there are serious issues due to the ICB's money and size. It is becoming fact that the Indian players now know that they can get away with anything and they are starting to abuse that knowledge.

The ICC is scares of the ICB because they know that the ICB has enough $$$ and size to challenge them. The ICC really need to stand tall and make a point out of India, the way some of their players have been behaving has been appalling. The way their management has been behaving is just down right disgusting and how some of their supporters ove rin India have been behaving is down right offensive.

Australia may not always have the best behaved players but at least when we screw up we admit it.

Thats what i was attempting to say also...before i got distracted by which team has the most baddest players.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #52
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Yeah, it awesome watching Harbijan smash 27 of 19balls.

Funny how the crowd stopped booing and ST(insert expletive:P)U. Pity it rained again, the visitors were on fire at the end.

Go the Indians.
I have to say for someone who is calling for equality in the game I find this an odd post. The pitch was obviously very adversely affected by rain after the first rain delay in the Australian innings, remember we got off to a cracker of a start. There was bugger all swing all night up until that point. After the rain delay(s) the ball was swinging a good foot either way.

Now how can you say the Indians were on fire when it was a tale of two matches? hardly a fair and level contest now was it.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #53
XR8putts

What exactly are these rebel Indian players getting away with? Harbi using the M word? If there was a scrap of evidence he'd be gone.

The ICB Vs. ICC has nothing to do with anything. If the ICB were that powerful, none of this would have happend. Lets step back and look at the facts;

India lost that test and subsequently the series.
Harbi was banned for one test without any form of indisputable evidence.
India threatend to leave in the heat of the moment, I would've too, but have stayed on.
Yeah the Indian fans targeted Symmonds in India, just like how 90,000 odd people did Harbi at the MCG a few nights ago.

Now how do you figure the ICB is bullying the ICC/world? Despite the above, India are still in Aus, ready to play. India is a very docile, but when they were hard done by, they stood up and said that it isn't on, and fair enough too. Surely you can't blame them for that. If you were in the Indian team, would you want Buknor umpiring the next game? The ICB for once backed their national team and for that they're being branded as sooks!

As for the last post, that's exactly what India faced in their innings! Or did you forget the rain delays when India were batting?!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #54
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I enjoyed the 20/20 match and I love cricket. There is controversy in every sport, in every game ever played...including my other passion Chess!

Yes everyone is entitled to an opinion....mine is simple...I just love the game. One dayers, test cricket, backyard cricket but I have to admit..there is only one cricket I hate....I hate "Crickets" as in little jumpin things...ewww..make me skin crawl!!!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #55
gtxb67

Quote:
mcg test around the 2002 series, glenn mcgrath was running to the non strikers end, tendulkar was waiting for the throw at the stumps. the ball missed tendulkar, and tendulkar broke the stumps with his hands and appealed and glenn was run out. it seems pretty pathetic to me you have to cheat to get glenn mcgrath out.
very recently, i believe in england in the last tour. dhoni dove forward to catch kevin peterson. the ball bounced between 1-3 inches in front of dhoni and then bounced into his gloves. he appealed and peterson was given out. fortunately when the replay was seen peterson was called back. dhoni was not impressed. i find it impossible to accept that a keeper does not know when the ball actually bounced into his gloves.
odi in same tour peterson bowl harbi. harbi decides not to walk. after around 20 seconds of celebrating peterson says "you don't walk when you are bowled" to which harbi says "f you".
not only do they cheat, and are bad sports, but they use the language that offends them so much.

also i would think the way harbi responded to hayden over the racial abuse says it all. he said "no wait, he started it" not "i did not call him that". and days later a hindu word that sounds similar comes up.

and what about tendulkar yesterday. i did not see it so cannot condemn him but did he not step on the stumps, when the ball was in play and then decided not to walk. did he not feel the stumps breaking under his foot.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:34 AM   #56
gtxb67

Quote:
Then theres the biggest ever cheating farce in cricketing history, the underarm delivery. But that was an Australian offence so I guess I shouldn't mention it.
though i found it and still do find that dispicable, same as when greg chappell was caught by martin sneddon in that series, and did not walk, the fact remains the underarm was LEGAL. there was a conference between greg and the umpires before the ball was bowled. it was after that game it was made illegal. and even if my knowledge is not right the umpire said it was legal so while a disgusting act, it was legal.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:34 AM   #57
XR8putts

Quote:

and what about tendulkar yesterday. i did not see it so cannot condemn him but did he not step on the stumps, when the ball was in play and then decided not to walk. did he not feel the stumps breaking under his foot.
Do yourself a favour and watch it then.

Idiot.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:36 AM   #58
gtxb67

Quote:
Not capable of a decent conversation are you? It's a forum - there will be people who oppose your view, get over it.
so what happened then
Old 05-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #59
XR8putts

You make a claim without witnessing the event. Thats idiototic in my opinion.

Tendulkar did heel the wicket after hitting the ball and set of for a run. The bail fell but Tendulkar didn't know. The appeal went up, Tendulkar realized what happend when he got to the other end, as soon as he was given he left STRAIGHT AWAY. There was no bad blood or nothing, infact Tendulkar shared a laugh with the umpire. It was just a funny dismisal for a great player, even Brett Lee had a chuckle. But your version must be accurate since you saw it and all.

So what happend then? Thats no difference of opinion, it someone making sh!t up and being caught out.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #60
BZINGA