Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Troll
Starter Motor

Default Darwin or Canberra?

I am currently in the Defence Force and have been informed that next year I have to vacate Sydney and have a choice between an office job in Canberra or an operational posting based out of Darwin for the next two years.

All my friends and family are based in NSW so Canberra would be the most convenient in that respect but I have never in Darwin and I might never get the oppurtunity again. In my head Canberra is a cold frigid place full of beurecrats and tree hugging hippies while Darwin is a stiking hot isolated colony full of alcoholic hillbillies, rough women, troubled aboriginals and lots of crocs.

Accurate? Also is it worth having a Falcon in Darwinor is it going to cook, get bogged and then stolen?

Troll is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

Default Re: Darwin or Canberra?

Come to Darwin. Keep the Falcon.

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Visited Darwin in 1978 and came back to live in 1980 - still here. I was born and raised in Canberra.

We're not all hillbillies, the women are not rough just straight forward, yes there are a lot of drinkers here and yes sometimes there can be problems with the locals.

If you're in to museums, car shows, club drives and cheap living then stay south. If sport, fishing, boogey board wake riding on croc infested billabongs is your idea of fun then come and say hello.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone i know whos been posted to Darwin has always enjoyed the town.
Plus they have a nice racetrack too!

Housing is bit difficult apparently and prices are a bit dearer however.

Im planning a visit there soon I hope....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NT rocks.. doesn't have cold.. just wet or dry..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Darwin for sure.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Darwin would be my choice. Imagine what your weekends would be like... Camping, fishing, 4WD'ing... Could be great.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
v gate

darwin all the way. see ya up there when the lng project starts
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
ms700
Big Member

Canberra isnt full of tree huggers.

But its friggin cold. At ngiht it gets down to minus 5 or 6 most mornings. If you leave your car outside you usually have to scrape the ice off the windscreen beforee you leave in the mornings.

Tuned by GENTECH 567rwkw/760rwhp

BA XR6T Tuned by GENTECH 349rwkw.

2013 H/D Nightrod Special - DynoJet PowerVision tuned.
ms700 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

I'm posted up here, have been for awhile, i recommend it, as do a lot of guys that have had a grope about coming here and never actually been, turn out to love it!! Unfortuantely, the Ford car scence is non existant...

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love canberra, it isn't all bad.. Whilst cold in the morning, the days are usually pretty good.

It's unfortunate that so many people have such a negative view of Canberra! I couldn't think of anywhere better to live, especially to bring up the kids...

The traffic is easy to deal with, even with traffic you can get from one side to the other in 30-45mins... Makes driving a thirsty V8 even more enjoyable! I'm guessing Darwin would be similar though!

The coast is within an hour or so, as is the snow. Sydney is only 2.5-3hrs away. The Brindabellas are close by for some awesome 4x4 tracks, as is corin forest...

Each to their own i guess, the more people that hate Canberra, the better... Hopefully it will never get as cluttered as some of our other major cities!
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Troll
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies I'm definitely leaning towards Darwin if nothing else than to stay at sea rather than rot in an office in Canberra
Old 26-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
Thanks for the replies I'm definitely leaning towards Darwin if nothing else than to stay at sea rather than rot in an office in Canberra
By your own admissions there, you have now already made up your mind!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
Just out of curiosity, what is your job?

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 27-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It obviously depends on what what you prefer to do in a job really regardless of where it is.

Canberra. It is big but not too big and small but not too small and that's what I like the most.

And yes normally it is very cold in winter and hot in summer but lay your bets where it lands now. It was not hot at all last summer.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Based on the city and climate alone I'd say Darwin.
But Canberra is near NSW, and I like NSW so that is why I would probably choose Canberra
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
windowlicker
Little Dog

Years back I was in Darwin for 3 weeks (enjoyed Larrakeyah pool...) and it was fun, crocodile parks, B52 museum, and sailing clubs etc... Robertson 1st Armoured.. and then Bush went into Iraq... anyway, if the aircon units ever went down or the beer ran out for more than a day, I reckon the airport would be fully booked.

Canberra has had a mild winter and last 2 summers were mild too (I reckon 8 days in total over 30deg). High av income. Grt malls, clubs and schools. SUMMERNATS. Cops I've met are very nice, credit to the force, and friendly even. Cops in Darwin on the other hand...
Old 27-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #18
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres nothing to do in Canberra. I go there for a few nights every month, have been for a few years. Seems people go out for dinner...and thats all.
Everyone is so boring, however there are lots of roundabouts for some fun cornering.

The only good thing about canberra I can see is the sign saying you're leaving on the way out!

The coast is about 90 minutes away so thats ok, but Batemans Bay is just full of retired folk, and fishing is not very good (compared to most estuarys on NSW south coast far away) unless you are into Game fishing. There is some good rock fishing though at places like Depot Beach and Durras.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #19
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Years back I was in Darwin for 3 weeks (enjoyed Larrakeyah pool...) and it was fun, crocodile parks, B52 museum, and sailing clubs etc... Robertson 1st Armoured.. and then Bush went into Iraq... anyway, if the aircon units ever went down or the beer ran out for more than a day, I reckon the airport would be fully booked.

Canberra has had a mild winter and last 2 summers were mild too (I reckon 8 days in total over 30deg). High av income. Grt malls, clubs and schools. SUMMERNATS. Cops I've met are very nice, credit to the force, and friendly even. Cops in Darwin on the other hand...
sorry

I was armoured for the last 2 years, you a tankie?

Old 28-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #20
Troll
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip04
Just out of curiosity, what is your job?
I'm a Communicator in the Navy. I've mostly served on warships out of Sydney but am keen to give small boats a try up north. Wouldn't mind Balikapapan Class but it's the Armidales that are getting all the action.
Old 28-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
windowlicker
Little Dog

Hi ya Bunyip, no I was RACT chocky getting shown around. I loved the acres of pavers...
Old 28-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #22
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

+1 for Darwin. You can always fly back for holidays. It's only 2 years. Experience parts of Aus that others can only dream of.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #23
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

That's right, 2 free flights are year with RLLT. Big plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Hi ya Bunyip, no I was RACT chocky getting shown around. I loved the acres of pavers...
Yeah bloody oath, i was a truckie there.

Old 29-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've never been to Darwin, but have lived in Canberra since 1979 (interspersed with a few stints overseas), so I'd vote for Darwin while you're still young - plenty of time left in the rest of your career to do a desk jockey job in Canberra.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post