Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default not so fixed price servicing

Can anybody advise the laws on fixed price servicing. Fords seems to have gone up by 20%
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: not so fixed price servicing

When you say gone up do you mean you're now paying 20% more than when you purchased the car?

Did the wording of the fixed price servicing deal say it would be fixed at X price for Y years after purchase?

Did the dealer imply the pricing would remain the same for a certain amount of time in any of your discussions?
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes at the time of purchase fixed priced were $280 & $515 for big service which was comparable to external servicing
They are now $355.00 & a whopping $630.00 for the big service.

And Yes the dealer I purchased from implied that the fixed price would remain the same. I'm on a 6 year extended (dealer) warranty too
Old 12-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Service Price Promise
Available at participating Ford Dealers on vehicles built from 2007. Customers will pay equal to or less than the maximum price as published by Ford for the period of the web quote for standard items in the A and B logbook services together with selected routine maintenance items. See www.ford.com.au/service/t-and-c for full terms.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I think you are confusing it with capped price servicing provided by other manufacturers. Its never been capped, service price promise means you will pay the same price regardless of which dealer you use, based on the rate published on the website.

Included in that is 12 months roadside assistance and free loan car also.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 12-07-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #6
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit
I think you are confusing it with capped price servicing provided by other manufacturers. Its never been capped, service price promise means you will pay the same price regardless of which dealer you use, based on the rate published on the website.
Not sure I agree, Smoke.

Quoting your own, previous, post (my highlight):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Service Price Promise
Available at participating Ford Dealers on vehicles built from 2007. Customers will pay equal to or less than the maximum price as published by Ford for the period of the web quote for standard items in the A and B logbook services together with selected routine maintenance items. See www.ford.com.au/service/t-and-c for full terms.
I have never paid the advertised price for a service since the "service price promise" was introduced.

IIRC correctly, when that service was introduced, I'm sure it was promoted as a capped price service, as we've talked about it several times on this forum before.

But I understand what you mean; most dealers probably charge the advertised price irrespective of how long it takes.

As for the OP's question: I would imagine that a price variation provision would have to have been embedded into the program to allow the advertised price to inflate over time (not on an individual basis, but across the board). Having said that, it seems like a pretty steep increase at 20%.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure it was promoted to me at the time as a "Fixed" price servicing.
the sales person even said the pricing wont change.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #8
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Yeah I just had my car serviced and noticed it went up from $270 last time to now $350. When I look all the service prices, I noticed that now the cheapest is $350 for my car. On top of that, this service was the last time I'll get free roadside assistance as it's only for 7 years or 105K.

And I've never paid lower that the fixed price. Still comes with a free loan car and is convenient so I'll continue to use it. Just a bummer I now have to pay for my RACQ membership.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #9
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Just food for thought, many other businesses offer roadside assistance and loan cars, and loan cars you do not need to book a month ahead to actually get one

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
and loan cars you do not need to book a month ahead to actually get one
that would be dealer dependant, not across the board. i've taken advantage of the free loan car at least 3 times now and never needed to give extra notice. Just asked for one at time of booking car in, and always been assured of getting one even if its within a week.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh I can get a loaner within a weeks booking.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #12
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took it to mean that they publish the maximum it will be, but it could be less.
It's never less.
I don't recall any sort of roadside assistance though, but that could be because my car is too old (2009).

I had no issues with getting a loan car, but didn't take them up on it. At the time, the courtesy bus was a better option, otherwise I'd have been paying through the nose for city parking.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #13
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I normally book my car a week in advance, and have no issues with a loan car.
apparently the prices went up 2-3 months ago.
they discounted this time to keep me happy, but next time around that's not going to happen..
I would get it serviced elsewhere, but I've already paid for the extender warrant which is dealer dependant.
had I known there was a 20% plus price rise coming I may not have gone ahead...

PS they wont even adjust my handbrake they charge and extra $52 for that..
Old 12-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Here's part of the T&C regarding this.

4. How often will the prices be changed?

Ford will update the Ford website (ford.com.au/service/calculator) with any changes to maximum prices for Standard Service or Additional Scheduled Maintenance Items at times when it is appropriate to do so. Customers however have the peace of mind in knowing that for every Total Service Price obtained from the website there will be a "valid till" date up to which Participating Dealers will charge no more than the relevant Total Service Price for a Price Promise Service.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I normally book my car a week in advance, and have no issues with a loan car.
apparently the prices went up 2-3 months ago.
they discounted this time to keep me happy, but next time around that's not going to happen..
I would get it serviced elsewhere, but I've already paid for the extender warrant which is dealer dependant.
had I known there was a 20% plus price rise coming I may not have gone ahead...

PS they wont even adjust my handbrake they charge and extra $52 for that..
Really... So the cost of everything else goes up but dealers are expected to keep on maintaining our vehicles at a fixed price forever.

Dealerships are expensive to run. Most local mechanics will also charge you to adjust your handbrake, do you go to work for free?
6 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #16
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really... So the cost of everything else goes up but dealers are expected to keep on maintaining our vehicles at a fixed price forever.

Dealerships are expensive to run. Most local mechanics will also charge you to adjust your handbrake, do you go to work for free?
I will call you out on that one. Handbrake adjustment is part of a service, maybe Ford consider it a labour cost to you because it requires attention more often being a Ford.

I know my local fella who has serviced/repaired our cars for over 10 years doesn't nor does he need to. He has done everything from blown h/gasket on an XG thru to suspension bush replacements and not once have I had to take anything back for rectification. The one thing he would not touch was a fault in a XR8 with limp home mode and I don't blame him, after all 2 Ford dealers could not solve it either !

A minor service on a Holden Colorado diesel and Suzuki Grand vintara are both under $200, pickup and drop off using Penrite oil. Major service will be up there but once again I know it will be done. Not looking forward to moving away from him that's for sure.

Our Suzuki bought in 2012 only went back to the dealer for 1000k and first service after that all log book by Northgate Automotive. At selling time it will be just like any other vehicle with full log book history. Worth nothing to a dealer when you wish to trade but GOLD when they are selling it !
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
I will call you out on that one. Handbrake adjustment is part of a service, maybe Ford consider it a labour cost to you because it requires attention more often being a Ford.

I know my local fella who has serviced/repaired our cars for over 10 years doesn't nor does he need to. He has done everything from blown h/gasket on an XG thru to suspension bush replacements and not once have I had to take anything back for rectification. The one thing he would not touch was a fault in a XR8 with limp home mode and I don't blame him, after all 2 Ford dealers could not solve it either !

A minor service on a Holden Colorado diesel and Suzuki Grand vintara are both under $200, pickup and drop off using Penrite oil. Major service will be up there but once again I know it will be done. Not looking forward to moving away from him that's for sure.

Our Suzuki bought in 2012 only went back to the dealer for 1000k and first service after that all log book by Northgate Automotive. At selling time it will be just like any other vehicle with full log book history. Worth nothing to a dealer when you wish to trade but GOLD when they are selling it !

Meh the last time I had to get a handbrake adjusted was 2005... next you will be saying he replaces your brake pads too as part of the service. Nothing is for free today.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2017, 11:56 PM   #18
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah, don't have to worry about that either. brake shudder, new rotors and milkshake, history now, someone else's problem along with the whole dealership experience.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Calm down I think you have missed the point.
If you read my posts the fixed price was promised to me under a 6 year extended warranty.
I'm posting this so nobody else is sucked in by such sales tactics, why have a go at me?

And yes a believe the handbrake adjustment should be part of the service, and would be covered by the time or hourly rate charged. certainly not an extra $52 on top of the $335

I've adjusted plenty on handbrakes myself when I have serviced vehicles. its not hard.

I've also spoke to others that have had their Fords service and were not charged an extra fee for this simple task.

Not taking about free pads why would you think that
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Further more, it doesn't even need to be adjusted, nor does it require a wheel alignment they tried to push on me. I didn't dare ask what they charge for that.
Old 14-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was replying to above, not you about the brake pads.

Its never been sold by Ford themselves as a fixed price. You probably should take it up with the dealer if it was sold to you by them in that respect.
Old 14-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #22
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Handbrake travel should be checked as part of a service, but adjustment will always be an extra and in most cases it is not just as simple as a cable adjustment and may take more than half hour or so to do

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2017, 12:44 PM   #23
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
that would be dealer dependant, not across the board. i've taken advantage of the free loan car at least 3 times now and never needed to give extra notice. Just asked for one at time of booking car in, and always been assured of getting one even if its within a week.
Also loan cars are only at "Participating Dealers" as I was told by my local dealer who don't have any unlike the Ford add recently where the adds certainly didn't mention that.
Old 14-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #24
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its never been sold by Ford themselves as a fixed price. You probably should take it up with the dealer if it was sold to you by them in that respect.
I know that, and I did,
Old 14-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #25
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

While dealers are not cheap to run, the service centres have always been a profit centre. A 20% increase is pushing the friendship I think. Although still not as dear as some. Maybe they're tightening up new car margins?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #26
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the past I've had my services done externally because of Fords pricing, they had dropped them when I purchased my car 2 years ago making them look more attractive again.

But 20% when you have no choice is definitely pushing the friendship.
Old 17-07-2017, 11:26 AM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
While dealers are not cheap to run, the service centres have always been a profit centre. A 20% increase is pushing the friendship I think. Although still not as dear as some. Maybe they're tightening up new car margins?
Its not set by the dealers. Ford set the pricing, the dealers just have to accept it and move on.

When you look at any other service today I think its still cheap especially when you take the free loan car and free roadside assistance into consideration. Most cars are around 70 a day to hire and roadside assistance for 12 months is similar. So there's $140 in value straight up.
Old 17-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #28
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Talking Re: not so fixed price servicing

Exactly.

I pay about $340 for my regular services (7500 and 15,000km), and that includes:

Free Roadside assist ($110 value)
Free Sync Maps Update ($80 value??)
Free software update and ECU firmware update
Wheel alignment and balance ($80 at most places)
Free loan car offer (which I didn't take up, but at least $65 value)
Looking into any niggly issues I may have with the car

So all up, that's $335, so for that extra 5 bucks, even if it was just the oil and filter change they did, I got a bargain ($100 value at least).

Add on top of this that you are dealing with a business which employs people, warrants their work, has massive overheads to pay, and believe it or not tries to make a profit, I'd actually be happy to pay an extra $100 - $150 for the service and would still think it's acceptable (hope my service centre doesn't read this :p )

Quote:
Its not set by the dealers. Ford set the pricing, the dealers just have to accept it and move on.

When you look at any other service today I think its still cheap especially when you take the free loan car and free roadside assistance into consideration. Most cars are around 70 a day to hire and roadside assistance for 12 months is similar. So there's $140 in value straight up.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #29
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:

Yeah my suggestion was that perhaps Ford are angling to build more profit into dealership servicing to offset potentially shrinking margins in new car land. Just a possibility, I guess only Ford and their dealers will know what's really going on.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2017, 12:32 AM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Yeah my suggestion was that perhaps Ford are angling to build more profit into dealership servicing to offset potentially shrinking margins in new car land. Just a possibility, I guess only Ford and their dealers will know what's really going on.
Parts and servicing (and finance) is were the money is. Considering selling the car has little to no profit the money needs to be made up.