Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Default Polishing your new car.

When is the ideal time to polish your new car for the first time?

I've heard people say that you should not polish the car for the first 6 months to allow the cars paint to properly harden... Is this worth heeding, or just an old wifes tale?

I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Wax not polish...

You really shouldnt need to polish a new car for 12 - 18 months if you wax it every 2 months or so... My Shockwave is nearly 12 months old and it doesnt need polishing yet...

Your car being white shouldnt need a polish for a long time providing you look after it and its not always out in the weather.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

What would you recommend as a good wax then? I've been using Mcguires gear, but i've heard good things about mothers stuff...
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
nang3

ive tried the Mothers stuff and liked it, but then i tried Zaino and Zaino blew it away...
takes longer but lasts waaaay longer and the difference is amazing when you compare two adjacent sections of paintwork..
I havent Zaino'd my car in about 6-8 months and it is only now is it wearing off i.e. water doesnt bead anymore
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

For wax you cannot beat Meguires new HiTech Stuff... Bout 40 bucks a bottle but is great.. Apply it with their applicator pads and whipe away with some 3M sythetic clothes or Bowdens own polishing clothes... Go to Autobarn to buy this stuff.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
CongoAU2
AYE YOU

Better off using Autoglym to wax and then use theAutoglym ultra gloss protection after that. I use that on my car and it looks beautiful. :
CongoAU2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Id give it about 4-5 weeks or so from new, if your dealer is half decent they will have loaded it up with wax etc etc anyway.

Meguiars is fantastic range of products and i find theyre really good for darker coloured cars (i have a very dark blue metallic), but are fantastic for lighter coloured cars too.

Give them a go and see what yuo think.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
SVR73
Mr Polish

My advice is to check the paint well after every shampooing. Look for new scratches, swirls and marring and do repairs on the area with the finest products you can such as paint cleanser , enhancing glaze like vanilla moose or a finishing polish

Why wax every two months using overpriced products when you can use an acrylic, ceramic or super polymer paint sealant and apply up to eight coats on your paint for superb depth, wetness, shimmer and reflectiveness
You will use far less than a synthetic or natural wax and they last far longer, 6 - 15 months and you can make them last as long as possible using shampoo's that condition and actually contain super polymer sealants and quick detail sprays that add a microfine layer of sealant after each wash.
You can top sealants with a couple layers of carnuaba paste wax for the ultimate shine

Waxes sit on the paint whereas sealants given two to 24 hours to bond sink into the pores, harden and become part of the paint
Eight coats are about maximum as you will have filled up all the pores in the paint and applying more than that is a waste with no chance for them to bond to the paint
Old 06-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #9
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
My advice is to check the paint well after every shampooing. Look for new scratches, swirls and marring and do repairs on the area with the finest products you can such as paint cleanser , enhancing glaze like vanilla moose or a finishing polish

Why wax every two months using overpriced products when you can use an acrylic, ceramic or super polymer paint sealant and apply up to eight coats on your paint for superb depth, wetness, shimmer and reflectiveness
You will use far less than a synthetic or natural wax and they last far longer, 6 - 15 months and you can make them last as long as possible using shampoo's that condition and actually contain super polymer sealants and quick detail sprays that add a microfine layer of sealant after each wash.
You can top sealants with a couple layers of carnuaba paste wax for the ultimate shine

Waxes sit on the paint whereas sealants given two to 24 hours to bond sink into the pores, harden and become part of the paint
Eight coats are about maximum as you will have filled up all the pores in the paint and applying more than that is a waste with no chance for them to bond to the paint
Hi there,

Sorry, excuse my ignorance but I haven't come across this idea before and it sound great!

I am halfway thru' spraying my car at the moment and like the idea of a protective polymer. When you say spray it on- is this in a can/bottle or applied with a compressor?

This is probably a sily q, but if you can, let me know!
Cheers,

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #10
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default sealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
Hi there,

Sorry, excuse my ignorance but I haven't come across this idea before and it sound great!

I am halfway thru' spraying my car at the moment and like the idea of a protective polymer. When you say spray it on- is this in a can/bottle or applied with a compressor?

This is probably a sily q, but if you can, let me know!
Cheers,
It's comes in 473ml spray bottle but is also available in 1.89 litre and 3.78 litre size
Have got one brand which is not available in australia and you simply spray it onto the clean paintwork (some cars may need polishing before use) and wipe until dry using a microfibre buffing cloth.
It needs 12 hours to bond and cure and a couple days before you can wash your car as the product is oxygen activated and water will drown the ingredients if you wash within the 12 hour period

Dave at waxit.com.au has zaino z8 spray sealant, one I have not tried as zaino to me is too expensive but can get you the one I have if you wish.

Probably best used after you have put an acrylic or super polymer sealant on your car in the traditional way with a microfibre applicator pad.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:45 PM   #11
xrgran

I like the Meguiars nxt generation products. Has there own applicators, easy as to use
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #12
nang3

mate i still reckon give Zaino a go.. get the full kit - ~$190 or so, and follow the instructions to the letter, especially the claybar part, makes all the difference.. i will never go back to anything after zaino..
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post