Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default K&N Typhoon Intake System for Zetec Owners

I got a quote for one of these today, checked that it is made for Aus spec Zetec Engines (so no good for ST170 or new model Focus) and it does. Unfortunatelty the guy didnt get me a part number but he told me they come in red, blue or silver finishes (on the pipe) and they are around $300.

Old 17-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
king_pin

Details I collect a while ago when doing Intake research:

The following link is for the Blue one, I would not have it any other way :P

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-3510TB
king_pin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thats the one. When finances allow I'll probably see what I think and whack one on. If anything to remove those god awful airbox bolts - the one behind the MAF is a *****!
Old 17-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I still don't understand how, if they are designed for US spec Zetec with different positive crankcase ventilation pipe sizes, different MAF screw offsets, different mounting brackets, and different main intake sizes, that is going to fit your Zetec without any modification.

But, for those who pay the money to get it shipped over here, I hope it does. $300 is a bit pricey, is that Australian dollars landed on your doorstep?

Also, is anyone planning to make a custom airbox for the setups, or just run them exposed?

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 06:33 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I still don't understand how, if they are designed for US spec Zetec with different positive crankcase ventilation pipe sizes, different MAF screw offsets, different mounting brackets, and different main intake sizes, that is going to fit your Zetec without any modification.

But, for those who pay the money to get it shipped over here, I hope it does. $300 is a bit pricey, is that Australian dollars landed on your doorstep?

Also, is anyone planning to make a custom airbox for the setups, or just run them exposed?

Tim
Tim, when I enquired I told them there are differences in US and Oz spec engines, and asked them to find out which was the right one to fit our models, and what price it was.
They made a call to their supplier (didnt say who it was but I assume it would be Rocket Industries), and I heard them ask if it would fit an Australian Focus, they said yes and gave me the price.
So if I do go ahead and get one, obviously ill double check it before i fit it, and if its not I can swap it (made sure of this). That price was for it to be sent to the store and for me to pickup, which is no big deal. They didnt say they had to import it, said they had them in stock.

As for custom airboxes etc etc, Im unsure as to how I'd do it - that's another thing to consider.
Old 17-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Yeah I'd be interested to see if K+N actually know there is a difference, or think it's the same, like their drop in panel filter, or if they have re-worked the product to Australian specs.

At least you could get your money back if it's not right - or you could modify it yourself like I did! Though I'd be a bit annoyed if I paid that much money and it wasn't right.

The airbox idea is something in the making for me (because its illegal to run an exposed pod filter in this state and probably others), basically I am thinking of buying an Odyssey battery (does the same job as the current battery, half the size, aren't costly), moving it up outwards to the guard, and ducting cool air straight in to a custom box. The easiest way to seal the area (which is required by NSW law) would be to make a custom stainless box, the bottom of which bolts in on top of the engine mount (which of course you will recognise as being under the current airbox), and ducting a big fat pipe straight in from the front of the car. Use the bonnet as the top seal on the box so it's already open when you open the bonnet to show off your goodies. Once you move the battery over out of the way, you have all the space in the world to play with!

Tim
Old 17-08-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Yeah I'd be interested to see if K+N actually know there is a difference, or think it's the same, like their drop in panel filter, or if they have re-worked the product to Australian specs.
Hopefully if theyve done their research right it should be correct. The guy I spoke to who handles all the K&Ns this store sell was confident it would be the right one to suit the application.

Quote:
At least you could get your money back if it's not right - or you could modify it yourself like I did! Though I'd be a bit annoyed if I paid that much money and it wasn't right.
If its not right and off by a long way it'll be going back. If it only needs minor modification i.e. relocating a screw or changing the way it attaches, it should be ok to do.

Quote:
The airbox idea is something in the making for me (because its illegal to run an exposed pod filter in this state and probably others),
I have never been able to work this out, I dont see why it is illegal? Not disputing it is, but just wondering why it is.

Quote:
basically I am thinking of buying an Odyssey battery (does the same job as the current battery, half the size, aren't costly), moving it up outwards to the guard, and ducting cool air straight in to a custom box. The easiest way to seal the area (which is required by NSW law) would be to make a custom stainless box, the bottom of which bolts in on top of the engine mount (which of course you will recognise as being under the current airbox), and ducting a big fat pipe straight in from the front of the car. Use the bonnet as the top seal on the box so it's already open when you open the bonnet to show off your goodies.
I like this idea a lot, the battery is a real pain in the butt for things like this because its smack bang in the middle of everything. Be very interested to see how you go with getting a smaller one and moving it.

Quote:
Once you move the battery over out of the way, you have all the space in the world to play with!
Amen to that. Just a matter of how. Also be good to have the airbox gone I think, that screw behind the MAF to undo the lid is a real . i took it out and havent put it back in cos every time i undo it to check the filter I end up almost losing it.
Old 17-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #8
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

It's illegal due to back firing causing the filter element to catch on fire, and set your engine bay with lots of burning stuff on fire too. Well, that's the story I was told by the RTA. I was also told by someone not at the RTA that the regulation does say that if your intake setup from the throttle body to the filter is more than a certain capacity in relation to a percentage of your engine (such as 230% or something, so that a 2L engine needed 4.6L of intake), that you don't need a box to contain possible filter fires.

However, I can't find either regulation in writing (exposed filters or any possible clauses for getting around them) despite spending many hours scouring the RTA website's download sheets on modifying light vehicles, but I know it'll be there somewhere (info on filter regulations), one way or another.

Tim
Old 31-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
Stampy

found this pic of one installed but with it comes no cold air at all ,i cant see how it would increase any power
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy

found this pic of one installed but with it comes no cold air at all ,i cant see how it would increase any power

While you are right to assume that the car will be sucking hot air in the pictured set up, you probably aren't aware that the factory snorkel (which is more than adequate on the ST170) is actually delivering cold air right beneath the pod filter.

All you need do is make a heat shield. If you spend two hours one day with a piece of plastic and some adhesive foam you can virtually ensure that the only air getting to the pod is coming in via the factory snorkel. I also made an attachment on the end of the factory snorkel that directs the cold air directly onto the pod. I think the intake sucks pretty hard anyway so I don't know if this is really necessary.

My advice to Zetec owners, who go with the typhoon, is to also get an ST170 snorkel and make a heat shield. I have never experienced any ‘heat bog’, there is an appreciable power increase (especially on cold nights!) and the sound is exquisite. I have popped the hood after driving 400km, and the aluminium tube on the typhoon near the pod is still cold.

Here are some pics:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...cat=500&page=1

orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #11
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

A nice bit of work Orsest170.

I particularly like the fact you've built a decent size shield, not some little piddler. Anf the Ford logo is a nice touch.

Is the outlet you've created under the filter a standard Focus inlet scoop, attached at the other end (as it where)?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #12
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec

Is the outlet you've created under the filter a standard Focus inlet scoop, attached at the other end (as it were)?
No, I got a bit of PVC irrigation pipe (60mm from memory - was a tight fit anyway) and moulded it to the shape I wanted with a heat gun, and then just glued it onto the snorkel outlet. I'm not sure if it really helps that much but I figured it couldn't do any harm. I have also removed the radiator air deflector to increase air flow.

The most time consuming part was actually cutting the 50 or so small pieces of adhesive foam to cover all the spots where engine and gear box heat may get in.

The hood shuts hard against the top of the shield, so the only place (other than the snorkel) that air can now get to the pod , is a small gap between the intake end of the snorkel and the battery - and while I'm moving at least, that will be 'cool'' air anyway.
Old 31-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Just out of interest whats the difference between the Zetec intake and the ST one? I have the auto one which means the air is coming through the front grille, so Im wondering if going to an ST one would be worth doing at all. I would assume the difference if i did do it would be minimal at best?

I like the idea of this system but to be honest i dont think i want a dirty big piece of stuff stuck in my engine bay. If anything I may look at going with a bigger intake pipe, but leave the airbox in place.
Old 31-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #14
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Just out of interest whats the difference between the Zetec intake and the ST one? I have the auto one which means the air is coming through the front grille, so Im wondering if going to an ST one would be worth doing at all. I would assume the difference if i did do it would be minimal at best?

I like the idea of this system but to be honest i dont think i want a dirty big piece of stuff stuck in my engine bay. If anything I may look at going with a bigger intake pipe, but leave the airbox in place.
Not sure about the auto intake but I know the 'mouth' on the ST intake is larger than the Zetec, as is the diameter of the pipe, so quite simply you get more air. It takes air from a very narrow gap between the top of the grill and the bonnet, but if you remove the radiator air deflector, the air comes in through the grill as well. Although I suspect if the autos have a different intake, then the ST snorkel would not be compatible with your car anyway.

Yes, if you are overly concerned with the aesthetics of your engine bay (I personally prefer the look over the stock engine bay anyway), then this set up may not be for you. Basically, it comes down to whether you are more about 'show' or more about 'go'. I'll take the latter every time, and how often do people look under the hood of your car anyway?
Old 31-08-2005, 09:50 PM   #15
Stampy

notice the intake at the front is missing , this is what worries me re the hot air.
Looks like i got some work to do when i get this car home.
Old 31-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #16
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
notice the intake at the front is missing , this is what worries me re the hot air.
Looks like i got some work to do when i get this car home.
Yeah sorry, I didn't even see that. Very strange. Maybe the snorkel has been relocated to take air from the lower grill or something...I know I thought about it, but looked like hard work, so I didn't bother.
Old 31-08-2005, 10:18 PM   #17
melbzetec

No, the intake is there by the looks. In the first shot.

The auto air deflector is not large enough to cover the ST170 snorkel, so you have gaps either side. Always looks a bit odd.

I have a couple of plans in my head, which may see me with an ST170 snorkel(and a few other intake mods) but I am planning to modify the auto deflector to match ( a project for my father in law who loves tinkering)

A question. Everyone talks about air flow, but it seems to me it's more about air pressure. If you accept that the engine sucks air in (rather than air blowing into the engine)... and I don't know if that is the case.....then it strikes me if the inlet to the air intake can be in an area of higher pressure then it is going to suck in a greater density of air for any volume. Therefore the auto delfector is less about directing air into the intake, but rather increasing the air pressure.

Does this make sense. Or am I talking out of my backside again???????
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:34 AM   #18
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Melbzetec,

We were talking about the photo that Stampy posted. The snorkel intake should be above the grille where the engine plate is (you can actually see the two holes either side of the plate where it has been removed).

It is true that the greater the air density, then the greater the oxygen content per unit volume of air, but I still think you want to get as much air to your engine as you can. There may be some truth in your theory, but factory air intakes are almost always restrictive, so even if you get denser air going in, you are never going to get even close to the amount that your engine would actually 'like'. Like my mechanic said to me "you can never get too much air to your engine, only too little".
Old 01-09-2005, 12:57 AM   #19
simonr
Focus Rookie

This stuff is waaaay complicated for lil old me,
Are there places where they do custom snorkels,Housings etc to suit the Short Ram Pod Filters...
Can anyone tell me where i look for one in Sydney..

Sorry for my ignorance and stupid question
Old 01-09-2005, 07:14 AM   #20
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

simonr - according to Back2thefutura, K+N sell setups available in Australia.

I imported my Racing Works Induction Kit, as seen below, from the States but it had minor issues, I had to modify a few things, as the US engine differs from the Australian one in a few areas (like MAF fitting, positive crankcase ventilation, etc).

Look at the link supplied by King Pin in the second post of this thread to see what the K+N one looks like, go to your local Autobahn and ask them if they can order one in for you.

Tim
Old 01-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #21
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
Melbzetec,

We were talking about the photo that Stampy posted. ".

D'OH. I see what you mean

Old 03-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #22
Stampy

it's home
Old 27-10-2005, 04:53 PM   #23
simonr
Focus Rookie

Alright so i ordered one of these thro a mate of mine...
$260 i thought yer alright price..
then it comes in and my friends boss goes he quoted me too low and i have to pay 85 bucks more.. $345 does this sound bout right??
or a bit too expensive?? Think i can import one from the states for around 300 anyway..

back2thefutura was that price u got quote around the normal retail price?
Old 27-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
Alright so i ordered one of these thro a mate of mine...
$260 i thought yer alright price..
then it comes in and my friends boss goes he quoted me too low and i have to pay 85 bucks more.. $345 does this sound bout right??
or a bit too expensive?? Think i can import one from the states for around 300 anyway..

back2thefutura was that price u got quote around the normal retail price?
Bugger eh?

I didnt look at retail but I am pretty friendly with the guys who I would buy it from, if you want me to get you a definate price on one let me know.
Old 27-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #25
simonr
Focus Rookie

yer im not too bothered, i called repco today they said 310.. my friends boss is just a stingy c&#^ i think..
Old 27-10-2005, 09:58 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

For that price you may as well get it there, postage if I got it for you would be over $10.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #27
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:

Tim
Tim, I recently got the Typhoon Filter.. the MAF didnt fit on right...

the Crankcase Hose i received, fitted on with a bit of a push...
Mounting brakets were the same..
the pipe fit on the throttle body fine...

Anyway, i wanna ask you, how did u modify the intake to fit the MAF housing.. atm the screw offsets are wrong and also the MAF sits up a bit because the plug is too low (it sits down) and hits the intake..
i will try to take pics to explain, but hopefully u can decifer what i mean..

Thanks..
Old 07-11-2005, 11:49 PM   #28
simonr
Focus Rookie

Also, in the recent heat,
i have experience some heat bogging.
I got one of them hoses so i can run air to it from behind the light or somewhere else..
There is a metal bracket thing on the right hand side just behind the battery..
not sure exactly wat that does.. is the bracket for the battery??
is it possible to remove it or put a hole in it..?

i was reading up on the US forums,
They reckon it gets way to hot under the hood because of the cat..
is possible to move the cat or is that a stupid question ??

also they have talked bout header wrap.. around the headers and also the intake tubing..

Last edited by simonr; 07-11-2005 at 11:59 PM.
simonr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #29
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It definitely gets WAY too hot under that bonnet for sustained hard driving. I've never seen the temp guage go up, but performance noticeably does decrease as the engine overheats. DEFINITELY having the cat where it is doesn't help.