Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #1
motorsportnerd
Starter Motor

Default Anyone else have a Mondeo?

After browsing through the Focus/Mondeo section, I didn't notice any threads dedicated to the Mondeo.
So, here goes, with a review of my car. I've got a 1997 Ford Mondeo LX with the 2.0 litre Zetec engine fitted. Just 70,000kms on the clock. I've had it for four years, and it has been mostly very reliable and economical. Mechanical problems amount to two. First, the battery died back in 2001 just after I bought it, so that doesn't really count. Second, the main airconditioning vents on the dashboard have stopped working, leaving only the vents for the windscreen and legs in operation. Apparantly a rotary switch has died, which would involve removing the dashboard to fix. Probalby case of a $5 part that will cost $100s to fix, so I'll rely on the remaining working vents and old fashioned winding down the window for my air conditioning.
Even after four years of ownership, I have to say that the Mondeo remains one of the best handling front wheel drive cars I've driven. I get the opportunity to drive a number of rental cars each year through work, and can say that only the Mazda6 (drove one in NZ recently) is better and Focus is equal. Course I've never driven an Integra Type R, Accord Euro, any recent Peugeot or the Renault Clio, so doubt there are better. But the Mondeo is certainly a major cut above Camry, Corolla, Hyundai Lantra, Pulsar, Magna, etc.
The Mondeo has great steering feel - well weighted at highway speed and provides plenty of info. Handling is generally neutral - turn the wheel and it will go where pointed. There is understeer if starting to press on, but you've got to be really motoring at that point. If the corner tightens up, it will respond immediately to the steering to an easing of the accelerator and tightening of the line. I'd describe the handling as fool proof and enjoyable if rear wheel drive oversteer isn't what you're after. The Mondeo does lack power to be a truly fast, great handling, point A to B car however. The lack of power is obvious in the fact there is more grip available than power to exploit the handling capabilities. Any of the multitude of lighter and more powerful hot hatches will clean it up, and the Mondeo couldn't even keep up with the more powerful Vectra.
The ST24 would solve the power problem and provide even better handling with the sports suspension and wider 16inch tyres. Wish I could've afforded one back in 2001 and I don't see the point now that they're cheap enough. There's now better stuff available.
The handling/steering is the Mondeo's best virtue. Followed by solid construction (the doors give a reasuring "thunk" when closed), good build quality, reasonable seating position, comfortable seats (even after hours behind the wheel, I get no aches or pains), and good equipment levels (for a car built circa 1997). The ride is excellent on smooth and moderately good road surfaces, but bumps and thumps badly on potted and rough road surfaces.
However, the engine lets it down badly. Not only is it underpowered, it can be noisy when revved hard and the Zetec is also prone to a fair bit of jerking under power (mine's always been that way, and I've heard the problem in others), which makes it sometimes difficult to drive smoothly. I vaguely remember reading something about ECU not linking properly with the throttle cable. I've never worried about the engine jerking under power - I just drive around it.
The interior packaging could be better also. I understand why many prospective owners would've bought a Vectra or Camry instead. Rear seat space in particular is tight.
Overall, I'd rate the car as a 7.5/10 for dynamics, 5/10 for packaging, only 3.5/10 for performance and 8/10 for ownership/reliability. Not an exciting car to own, but certainly a reliable car with a little more character than equivilant Japanese cars of the era.
Also, I make no apologies for being proud to own a standard, family sedan. I'm still a major car enthusiast - I just didn't/don't need a car to fulfill my ego, rather I wanted something to meet my needs (reliability, not too large, easy to insure, more character/driver involvement than some blander cars) and this car did at the time.
I'm keen on updating to a Mazda6 now though - hopefully in the next year or so.
I've attached some photos of the car. Note, I have put better looking wheel covers on it since the photos were taken.
So, that's my car. Any other Mondeo owners out there who want to share their thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mondeo8.jpg (144.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Mondeo10.jpg (21.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by motorsportnerd; 02-11-2005 at 12:04 AM.
motorsportnerd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No photo's have been attached that I can see. Most people on here don't use their car as an ego boost, but as guide to help other people out with what they want to do to their vehicles as well. Well that was my 2 cents. Hope to see you chat on here more often

Cheers
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh I see the pic now....I like the colour of it
Old 02-11-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
motorsportnerd
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Most people on here don't use their car as an ego boost, but as guide to help other people out with what they want to do to their vehicles as well.

Cheers
You're right. I've seen other forums where they do and I have been questioned in the past on my choice as an enthusiast to drive a basic car. Glad that's not the case here.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:03 AM   #5
motorsportnerd
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Oh I see the pic now....I like the colour of it
Yes, I've always liked the colour too, especially when freshly cleaned.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:07 AM   #6
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you ever need help with your engine, there is a fair amount of people who are willing to help and know a thing or two about the Zetec engine. I hope you enjoy chatting with us, as I think we are a great bunch of people (with useful and useless info)
Old 02-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #7
motorsportnerd
Starter Motor

The engine is fine so far (touch wood) - as it should be with on 70,00km on it. At the last service, the service manager commented that it was one of the cleanest Zetec's he'd seen. Apparantly the Zetec develops a few oil leaks as the miles get up.
The "jerking" I've mentioned is I believe a design fault - it can be driven around. I'm sure someone knows exactly what causes it - as I say from memory its throttle/ECU related - maybe the sensor. I'd have to dig up that article and look at it again, but I remember thinking, ah, that explains it.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

very nice, I love that shape.

Now if only I had the balls to get a smallish loan and get a ST24, I loooove those cars and they are going at great prices at the moment. 12-14000 for a great car.

/sulks that I have to keep my EA instead.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my air con does the same thing lol
are you sure the dash has to come out to fix this??
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I learnt to drive in a '95 Mondeo GLX sedan, my first 2.0 Zetec. It was a breathless gutless bastard of an engine back then when linked into the heavy sedan (probably mainly the auto's fault), but now rejuvenated in the Mk I Focus is marginally better, still isn't overly refined or efficient. It always needed valve timing, amazing that such a solid block never got any trick technology... the new Zetec/Duratec in the Mk II Focus however is a revelation.

Great first car the Mondeo, you've done well as a compromise between solid, fun, efficient and good loooking.

My Focus Zetec was also stock when I started, it's only since I became a self inflated Focus nut that it became an extension of my incredibly huge ego....

Welcome! Love the car and good to see some more Mondeo owners!!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:48 PM   #11
motorsportnerd
Starter Motor

Not my first car - I had four others before this one. A 1985 Telstar was my first car, an 87 Telstar EFi was my second - both of these in NZ before I moved to Australia. Then had a Peugeot 505 (absolute head of crap) and a 87 VL Commodore. So the Mondeo is a much better car than any of the ones I had previously.
I would recommend the Mondeo as a first car though.
Also, regards the dash having to come out to fix the air cond. That was only advice from the mechanic who looked at it. Haven't bothered with a second opinion yet - not sure if I will. I plan to return to NZ next year, so will be selling sometime in next 12 months anyway.
Its possible that I will buy a new shape Mondeo when I return to NZ. I'd love to buy a 2001-2 Mondeo 2.5 ST V6 when I return. About NZ$18,000 with less than 100k on the clock.
Hopefully funds will allow it....