Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default Pipercross Viper Install

Well, after months and months of planning, thinking, measuring, and procrastinating, I finally installed a total new air induction system today.

From what I can see, I don't think anyone has set it up quite the way I have.

Starting from the throttle body, I have installed a Pipercross kevlar composite induction hose to replace the bendy plastic factory hose, connecting to the MAF. On the other side of the MAF, I have installed a carbon fibre and silver Pipercross Viper air box. To this is bolted a Pipercross CAI hose. I have run this down past the battery box (with large sections cut away, but stiil rigid to hold the battery) and connected it to an ST170 snorkel inlet section (have connected the plastic inlet piece directly to the CAI hose. Have dispensed with the ST170 hose....same diameter). I have managed to do it is such a way that I can retain the battery box cover, so it all still has a neat appearance

As I posted in a Euroford club thread, I had the car dynoed last week for a very ordinary 73.1 fw kW. But at least I have a base measure, so in the next fortnight I will repeat the dyno run and see if there is any difference.

Howver, based on the well used and time honoured "seat of the pants" dyno, the result is..................WHOOOHOOO!!!!

Throttle response seems better, torque seems much stronger. No induction noise (as I wanted it) because of the enclosed nature of the whole system, but a more distinct exhaust note from the Herrod.

But the dyno will tell. When I have figures I will post up the results. And we'll see if I have made a real difference, or just paid good money for extra shiny bits under the bonnet.

Have attached pics (from phone, so not masterpieces). Interested to see what you guys think

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

it certainly looks to be a very clean install! nice job!
Old 13-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Nice work Stephen! I look forward to seeing you Dyno at the Dyno day if I can still make it!! Want to see that puppy crack the 80kw mark!!!!!
Old 14-11-2005, 11:26 AM   #4
Stampy

Very neet job ,Waiting for the test results
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
whippet_zetec
Supes

concur....a great looking installation there and am looking forward to seeing the results of the next Dyno
Old 14-11-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
simonr
Focus Rookie

can u try to get a pic of the section u cut away of the battery holder..
how did u cut it??
Old 14-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
melbzetec

Basically I cut it with a junior hacksaw. It cuts quite easily. I tried a Dremel, but couldn't manouvere it is tight spaces.

I'll try to bodgy up a shot and show you what I've removed. It was certainly more than some "how to's" I've read would suggest
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 14-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #8
OZST24

Damn the silver pipercross kit looks so much better!

Mine only came in red :(
OZST24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #9
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
can u try to get a pic of the section u cut away of the battery holder..
how did u cut it??

Here is a pic I lifted from www.focusowners.com

The red line is where they suggested. I found I needed more space, and the yellow line indicates roughly where I've cut.

I also cut a curve out of the bottom right hand corner of the Battery Box lid

A simple junior hacksaw with a flexible blade wsa the go. It cuts really easily

Old 15-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #10
melbzetec

I sort of cut a curve under the clip on the right hand side to give more room, but retain the clip to secure the lid

Old 21-11-2005, 06:01 PM   #11
melbzetec

The results are in boys and girls.

6.2 % increase in top end power. Previous was 73.1 kW, now 77.7kw

But better than that, increased power and torque right across the rev range. Which means the power and torque is useable, and improves the cars performance across the board.

So I am pretty happy with that. Cause unless you go forced induction, you aren't going to get big leaps in power.And they are real numbers, not the addition of manufacturers claims or "I reckons"

More importantly than the numbers, the car is more fun to drive.

The dyno sheet is attached (ignore the Porsche 944 turbo script.. was just there to differentiate the two curves)

Blue equals best run prior to Pipercross, green equals after (we did three runs, each one identical)

Old 21-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Did this independently? Isn't dyno day next weekend?
Old 21-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #13
melbzetec

This is the largest file the system will let me attach

Old 21-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #14
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Did this independently? Isn't dyno day next weekend?
Yeh, I wanted to make absolutely sure I was comparing like with like.

First run and second run both done at Auto Art in Collingwood.

It will be interesting to see what the dyno says on Saturday