Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-11-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default Congrats on the first AFF Dyno Day

A big congratulations to all those who competed in the first AFF Dyno Day Class 1 (N/A 4 cylinder).

Congrats to National Champion! (ta daaa) Stampy in his ST170 with 89.71 fwkw.

I was very chuffed to take out 2nd with the Zetec (75.3 fwkw), and Joshf2 is stoked with his massive 61 fwkw from the Fiesta for 3rd place.

It was a good event, and hopefully AFF will run another next year so we can get a lot more 4 cylinders involved. I'm sure there are more powerful units out there, so if you think the figures above are a bit wimpy....enter next time. We can't let the Falcon boys all have it to themselves. For those of us who stuck the toe in this year, it was a little daunting with all the muscle there on the day, but we were treated with respect by all involved.

(It was a little surreal to be first up with 75.3 kw, Melz mums Festiva next at 54.8 kw, immediately followed by the Pursuit 218 at 450.4 kw!!!!!!!!!)

These results should be good for generating some "my car would cream that if I'd been there" discussion over the next few months!!! Who wants to start?

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
joshf2
striped

shouldve known i was gunna lose to a focus. :P

i think the only problem with the 4 cylinder class is that, if you want to make any serious power, you have to stick a turbo on. having forced induction immediately puts you into class 4, which then puts you up against mainly xr6t's. thats a poo-bum

i guess its just time to find a place that'll make a VCT head for the fiesta and try to ring it's neck to 9000rpm
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
melbzetec

mmmmmmm Should have bought a Focus Josh!! Cosworth now makes a trick head for the 2.0 litre Zetec
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 28-11-2005, 09:44 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

They're now working the new 2.0 Focus engine to over 200kw naturally aspirated in Europe, enough to hand the **** to many of the 6's on a silver platter!!!
Old 28-11-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
joshf2
striped

so im guessing i should be finding a way to shoehorn the 2.0 into the wee lil space in the front of my car they call an engine bay
Old 28-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It's called buying an ST... only one problem :

I love the idea of a robust, solid revving N/A 2 litre, just a shame there aren't many around these days without serious effort and money.
Old 28-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #7
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Congrats to Stampy !

I rekon you are all lucky I didnt go, cooler weather here saturday, i might have got up over that mark ;)

Chris
Old 29-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #8
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
Congrats to Stampy !

I rekon you are all lucky I didnt go, cooler weather here saturday, i might have got up over that mark ;)

Chris
That's the spirit Chris! It's that sort of friendly bravado that get's Forums going!

Come on Matt. You know you wanted to go head to head

Old 29-11-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
Stampy

Thanks MelbZetec ,let me tell you it was a laugh in Qld as my first run registered 1.3HP ,The wheels were going the wrong way ,everyone laughed at my cool result then the guys changed the dyno to a front wheel drive car and my next run wasn't very good 109HP but it was only revved to 5800RPM so i told him ignore the graph and take it up to the limiter, (as soon as the graph line flattens out they back off but with the ST170 its main power is delivered at 7000RPM see the flat section in the graph) .
Let me say I expected the ST170 to get about 125HP but it was 28 Deg or more in the shed ,I'm glad i didn't go last, It was getting up to 40 Deg + Inside.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was an Excellent day

Alan
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2005, 09:22 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yeah the exhaust valves start doing their veriable thing at 5,500rpm and you get a second wind. Yummy.
Old 29-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn 89kw at the wheels! Lol my TX5 probably makes that give or take a little at the flywheel. How much torque do you have?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2005, 10:43 PM   #12
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
That's the spirit Chris! It's that sort of friendly bravado that get's Forums going!
Stampy only put down 89 fwkw and won???? Mate I reckon I'd make that on 3 cylinders, on low octane fuel in the middle of a stinking hot summers day.

Is that the sort of "friendly bravado" your after? :hihi:

Seriously though, congrats to stampy. Interestingly, the SVT (ST170) owners in the US are putting down around 148 fwhp stock - their dynoes must be different to ours??

If I ever get my car dynoed, I'll let you know how much it's putting down - the guys in the US and UK with the same mods as me are around the 195 - 200 flywheel hp.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2005, 11:48 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Through my calcs 170hp fly should be roughly 130hp wheel, it usually works out to be flywheel kw = wheel hp.

That puts stampy at 120HP at the wheels, or 120kw at the fly... a little under. May have been the heat and the dyno calib.

2 years ago I put out 76.7 wheel kw at 25 degrees C, making roughly 103HP at the wheels or around the low 100kw's mark at the fly so I was potentially punching above my weight. This was rock stock with the exception of the K&N panel filter.

Unfortunately these are all done on different dynos even within the same comp so the results are skewed. Congrats anyway to all who entered!!

Last edited by zetec; 29-11-2005 at 11:56 PM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 12:01 AM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how much my TX5 would put down on the dyno? Supposebly the flywheel kws are 87kw and 179nm stock. Ive got a K&N panel filter, 2.25" cat back to 3" outlet and I think I might have an aftermarket cat.

I keen to know how much torque these Focus put out too because I have found with small cars the torque is very important.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #15
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
Stampy only put down 89 fwkw and won???? Mate I reckon I'd make that on 3 cylinders, on low octane fuel in the middle of a stinking hot summers day.

Is that the sort of "friendly bravado" your after? :hihi:

Seriously though, congrats to stampy. Interestingly, the SVT (ST170) owners in the US are putting down around 148 fwhp stock - their dynoes must be different to ours??

If I ever get my car dynoed, I'll let you know how much it's putting down - the guys in the US and UK with the same mods as me are around the 195 - 200 flywheel hp.
LOL thats the stuff we need !
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #16
omg

Quote:

The most common (like 95%) dyno used in the US is the dynojet, this is an inertia dyno which generates it's load from the large drum you're spinning. In aus the most common dyno (and the one used on this day) is a dyno dynamics which is a load bearing type dyno.

The difference is that on the dynojet you can't vary the load and the load they run at it much lower. This means it's fairly easy on the car but you can't change the load (an issue when you're tuning but makes readings more consistant) and the resultant power is quite high. The dyno dynamics will allow you to vary the load (_much_ better for tuning but makes it very easy to readings to be "fudged"), is harder on the car and results in a lower power reading. Rule of thumb, add about 8% (don't obssess about it being exactly 8%, thats just a ball park figure based on what I've seen the same car do on both types) to the dyno dynamics number when run in shootout mode to get an aproximation of what you'd see on a dyno jet.

Oh, and the brits generally use a hub dyno (dynapack being the most common) which is water braked and bolts directly to the hub. This gives very accurate (as in repeatable/precise) results as it removes the tyre to roller interface. Rule of thumb here would be add about 12% to the dyno dynamics number to get to what would be the hub dyno number.

FWIW on the nissan's I usually play with we're getting around 170rwhp on the dyno dynamics without really going to town on them (basically exhaust, cams, ecu) and I can't see any reason why similar results can't be achieved with the focus as long as people are smart with their mods.
omg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
melbzetec

Quote:
I was waiting hear from orsest! And mate you didn't let me down!!!

Old 30-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #18
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg
The most common (like 95%) dyno used in the US is the dynojet, this is an inertia dyno which generates it's load from the large drum you're spinning. In aus the most common dyno (and the one used on this day) is a dyno dynamics which is a load bearing type dyno.

The difference is that on the dynojet you can't vary the load and the load they run at it much lower. This means it's fairly easy on the car but you can't change the load (an issue when you're tuning but makes readings more consistant) and the resultant power is quite high. The dyno dynamics will allow you to vary the load (_much_ better for tuning but makes it very easy to readings to be "fudged"), is harder on the car and results in a lower power reading. Rule of thumb, add about 8% (don't obssess about it being exactly 8%, thats just a ball park figure based on what I've seen the same car do on both types) to the dyno dynamics number when run in shootout mode to get an aproximation of what you'd see on a dyno jet.

Oh, and the brits generally use a hub dyno (dynapack being the most common) which is water braked and bolts directly to the hub. This gives very accurate (as in repeatable/precise) results as it removes the tyre to roller interface. Rule of thumb here would be add about 12% to the dyno dynamics number to get to what would be the hub dyno number.

FWIW on the nissan's I usually play with we're getting around 170rwhp on the dyno dynamics without really going to town on them (basically exhaust, cams, ecu) and I can't see any reason why similar results can't be achieved with the focus as long as people are smart with their mods.

Cheers for the explanation OMG. However if you add 8% (I realise it's only a rough guide) to Stampy's result, it still only puts it at about 130 hp -well short of the 148hp the yanks are getting???

They must also use a dyno that measures fly wheel hp in the UK coz a lot of guys over there quote their hp figures @ the flywheel??

With regard to achieving 170 hp @ the wheels, the best I have seen in the US for a NA focus is about 167 @ the wheels. This seems to be the max you will get with the SVT/ST170 if you use every available 'bolt on' and get an ECU remap. Obviously if you start messing with the internals you could easily better 170 hp. There are aftermarket cams in the pipeline for the SVT/ST170, which are rumoured to be good for another 10 -15 hp.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 12:08 AM   #19
omg

Well, keep in mind you're getting the US results off the net so they aren't necessarilly an accurate sample and nor are they necessarilly, well, accurate ;) That said, cars do vary from day to day and given the nature of a chassis dyno results aren't always consistant.

As for the brits, yes, you can get a flywheel number, you use an engine dyno. As this involves pulling the engine out of the car it's a fair bet that they're not doing this on their dyno days. What they do have a habit of doing, and this is particularly prevalent in the lower powered cars, is to pluck a "drivetrain loss" figure out of their **** and multiply that by what they got at the hubs. They also tend to give the result to the nearest 0.1hp which is pretty impressive considering it is measured at the hubs and then has a guesstimate applied. Suffice to say, I think anyone that does this is a complete tosser.

With the 170, as I mentioned that was with a nissan engine (SR20DE). We threw a few mild mods at one to see what we could do on a budget without going to a turbo and were pleasantly surprised. I guess the one thing I'd say is that there are much better ways to get power than simply chucking every mod you can find at an engine.
omg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 01:28 AM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Interesting that the Zetec punches out 96kw at the engine (whatever) and its getting 76ish kw .... 20kw down.

The Fiesta gets 61fwkw, down from 74fwkw. The Fiesta lost 17.5% of power, the Focus lost 21%... interesting stuff. But yes, their are variables.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #21
joshf2
striped

dont forget the aircon was on! (my bad)