Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
Forest Bear

Default New Focus Zetec after 1500km

Well everything is going great. I got a great car and apart from one problem early on everything is clockwork now. So here's a quick run down of all the good and bad.

BAD...

- Bonnet key lock is a novelty and people go wow but on its own its a dumb and impracticle idea. Takes getting use to. Should come with inside release also.

- There is no sealing around the headlight cluster so soap suds and water and muck creep through the gaps and onto the cables lying behind the headlight bodies.

- The globes in the headlight give a yucky yellow light. Replaced all with Bosch Cobalt Blue xenon globes I got on Ebay for $AU30 :-)

- Storage in centre armrest is a joke.

- Rear wiper too small.

- Road noise.

- CD players sounds very good but at $29k is far too basic on features and no MP3 compatibility.

- Lousy engine exhaust note/sound. It whines more than grunty huff and puff.

- I refuel at Shell. I shove the nozzle in all the way down the fuel filler as I've always done with every other car I drove. As soon as I press to let fuel in the nozzle clicks and stops. I thought it was a problem with the servo's nozzle but it happened with all the others. Found out you had to put the nozzle in loosely half way. Kind of scary cos at the moment I don't trust the click to get it right and feel like the fuel is going to spash out. Anyone had this problem or is it a design fault?

GOOD...

- Not many around at the moment so its really exclusive and people look. :-)

- Its a great looking car but only the Zetec and soon the XR5 looks good. I'm afraid the rest in the range look awefully dull.

- Great car. Handling, power, steering, interior, features, solid and strong body, good value value.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture(56).jpg (113.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Picture(58).jpg (112.7 KB, 70 views)
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
owens

I disagree about the other models looking dull ;)

I had the problem with the fuel pump with my old corolla, no problem to bring the nozzle back out a little bit.

I've got more problems with mine and I'm getting a little annoyed with them. Mainly because the dealer basically brushes me off. I'll go and sort them out this week though.
owens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Bear
BAD...

- Bonnet key lock is a novelty and people go wow but on its own its a dumb and impracticle idea. Takes getting use to. Should come with inside release also.
Actually you might find this is a great anti-theft tool not having a bonnet release inside the cabin, as without a key you cant open the bonnet even after smashing your way into the car. But I do agree that it can be an annoyance especially when you want to pop the hood while the engine is running.

Quote:
- The globes in the headlight give a yucky yellow light. Replaced all with Bosch Cobalt Blue xenon globes I got on Ebay for $AU30 :-)
Easy one to fix, as you have already done ;)

Quote:
You should see the LR.... :

Quote:
- Road noise.
You might find that the choice of rubber isnt the best as standard and a better tyre choice will assist in any road noise.

Quote:
- CD players sounds very good but at $29k is far too basic on features and no MP3 compatibility.
I thought the new Focus had an iPod jack??? could be wrong???

Quote:
- Lousy engine exhaust note/sound. It whines more than grunty huff and puff.
Nothing a new cat-back wont fix

Quote:
- I refuel at Shell. I shove the nozzle in all the way down the fuel filler as I've always done with every other car I drove. As soon as I press to let fuel in the nozzle clicks and stops. I thought it was a problem with the servo's nozzle but it happened with all the others. Found out you had to put the nozzle in loosely half way. Kind of scary cos at the moment I don't trust the click to get it right and feel like the fuel is going to spash out. Anyone had this problem or is it a design fault?
having the nozzle hafl way out shouldnt hurt the auto-stop, my LR has the same thing.

Todd
Old 14-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
BlackLS

Fuel problem:

Don't you think its because the Euro servo nozzles are normal size, instead of the skinny size of our unleaddeeper than what the fuel fillers are designed for, hense the autostop. I had the same problem when filling a BMW X5(these things are constantly at the servo)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
omg

I've put about 8000km on mine now and haven't said a word so I might as well chuck in some thoughts

Quote:
Bonnet key lock is a novelty and people go wow but on its own its a dumb and impracticle idea. Takes getting use to. Should come with inside release also.
I agree. Actually, I think I've forgotten how to open it which could create a rather embarassing situation

Quote:
There is no sealing around the headlight cluster so soap suds and water and muck creep through the gaps and onto the cables lying behind the headlight bodies.
haven't noticed that actually

Quote:
The globes in the headlight give a yucky yellow light. Replaced all with Bosch Cobalt Blue xenon globes I got on Ebay for $AU30 :-)
I find the lights really good, maybe thats more a comment on what the lights were like on my old cars though

Quote:
Storage in centre armrest is a joke.

Rear wiper too small.
yep and yep. Centre armrest storage is possibly my greatest annoyance with the car

Quote:
Road noise.
it seems ultra quiet to me but thats definately due to what other cars I drive (ie no sound deadening whatsoever, big exhaust, semi slicks.

Quote:
CD players sounds very good but at $29k is far too basic on features and no MP3 compatibility.
I plugged the ipod in before I drove the car, I'm most impressed with mp3 compatability!

Quote:
Lousy engine exhaust note/sound. It whines more than grunty huff and puff.
It's the intake noise that's missing imo, something ford could learn from alfa

Quote:
I refuel at Shell. I shove the nozzle in all the way down the fuel filler as I've always done with every other car I drove. As soon as I press to let fuel in the nozzle clicks and stops. I thought it was a problem with the servo's nozzle but it happened with all the others. Found out you had to put the nozzle in loosely half way. Kind of scary cos at the moment I don't trust the click to get it right and feel like the fuel is going to spash out. Anyone had this problem or is it a design fault?
Had this problem with all my other cars but don't have it at all with the focus. Don't worry, the fuel won't come out unless the pump malfunctions

If I had one other complaint it would be the seats which are a bit high an stool like for my tastes

Quote:
Good

Not many around at the moment so its really exclusive and people look. :-)

Its a great looking car but only the Zetec and soon the XR5 looks good. I'm afraid the rest in the range look awefully dull.

Great car. Handling, power, steering, interior, features, solid and strong body, good value value.
To me it looks "nice" but thats not why I bought the car. The absolute standout is the handling imo, it's pretty gutless, particularly when you're above "driving round town" speed but the ride, compliance and handling ford have achieved in a car of that price is sensational. I've taken it on a couple of italian tuneups just north of sydney and was seriously impressed with how it handled things. Hell, last time I took it out there were some seriously red faces in rather more expensive 4wd twin turbo mythical monsters who were left wondering exactly how it took them 5 minutes to run down a little old focus on a long uphill run. Much pant wetting laughter all round.

To be fair the gap between perceived and actual skill of the other driver had a lot to do with it but the brilliant way the focus handles and lets you walk right up to the edge of it's limits means it will do things that really shouldn't be possible in a car of this stature and pricerange.

Features for the money are also a standout. It's my first car with cruise control and with a aggressiveness of the road user tax collection these days I've really enjoyed being able set the cruise on freeways/country roads and relax. Cargo carrying capacity also rocks. I get 6 rims and tyres, my tools, full size jack, large box of spares and other assorted bits and pieces in the back and can still take myself and a passenger in comfort. Awesome!

I guess what I'm really impressed with is that it's a cheap car which isn't really performance focussed but still manages to be great fun to drive. Amazing stuff really.
omg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #6
rider007

What recommendations would peolple suggest for a change of tyre ?. The Yoko 'C" drives seem popular. Also interested in losing some of the tyre roar on the Zetec, maybe the Yokohama quiet tyre AVS V550.
rider007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

We have the Yokohamas they are great!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
rider007

17" C' Drives Shockwave ?.
Old 14-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #9
Forest Bear

For all interested I replaced my front globes with Bosch Cobalt Blue globes I bought from this fellow in the UK.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/BULBS-R-US

H7 for main lights. H1 for high beams. You get free wedge parkers with either of them.

I also replaced the festoons in the rear number plate and interior light with white LED festoons. They are very white but have a very light blue tinge.

Also replaced the bulbs in the spoiler stop light with white LED wedges. Replaced bulb in glovebox and boot. Also wired up another bulb in the boot cos 1 globe doesn't provide much illumination.

Here's how they look. http://milkthesystem.gallery.netspace.net.au/albums.php

I bought the LEDs from this bloke http://stores.ebay.com.au/warden-jp2002

I like LEDs because they are much cooler in look and operating temperature. They last for bloody ever. Use little voltage.

Currently on the lookout for white LEDs stop/tail (BAY15) and amber indicator LEDs with offset pins (BAU15S).
Old 14-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #10
Forest Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg

I plugged the ipod in before I drove the car, I'm most impressed with mp3 compatability!
Thats not mp3 compatibility! Whippet, there is no "iPod jack". Thats just Ford spin. Its just a 3mm phono socket and in the glove box. Terrible. Why couldn't they use one of those three empty button spaces in the centre console instead. Infact, I might just rewire it to there.

Mp3 compatibility would be to let me put in a data cd with mp3 files on it and play.
Old 15-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #11
WASP
Whipple Induced

I'm rapped with our Zetec apart from the following items.

Had an engine fault message and light come up a few times on the dash.
Storage inside the car is absolutely ridiculous!
Interior lighting is insufficent to
Small rattle from flip up lid under temperature controls
Old 15-11-2005, 03:10 AM   #12
omg

Quote:
Thats not mp3 compatibility! Whippet, there is no "iPod jack". Thats just Ford spin. Its just a 3mm phono socket and in the glove box. Terrible. Why couldn't they use one of those three empty button spaces in the centre console instead. Infact, I might just rewire it to there.

Mp3 compatibility would be to let me put in a data cd with mp3 files on it and play.
Yeah, I know, however I'll take a factory aux in jack over a mp3 compatable cd player anyday. Why would you want to bother with mp3 cds when you can plug a 100 times larger mp3 player straight in?
Old 15-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #13
MikGan

W3rd!
MikGan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 11:09 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider007
17" C' Drives Shockwave ?.
Yes

Had a bit of trouble getting them but eventually got them in as we have an LS CL with the optional (Zetec rims) which ford politely supply without rubber.

Neways they seem to be a good tyre!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 12:44 AM   #15
New2Focus
LS LX Aficionado

Quote:
Agree. The old Renault 16 did it better - external bonnet lock and release - can leave bonnet closed and unlocked.

Mine also needs a hefty slam to lock securely - I lightly dented the bonnet with the palm of my hand within the first 24 hours of ownership trying the gentle approach. Not happy.

Quote:
Agreed. (Possibly partly because of aircond. outlets to the rear seat?) Also no logical spot to store sunglasses.

Quote:
- Road noise.
Agreed - same as in the Mazda 3. Can't wait to get rid of the OE Goodyears.

Quote:
Have you tried filling at less than full-trigger? That seems to work for me.

Quote:
GOOD...

- Its a great looking car but only the Zetec and soon the XR5 looks good. I'm afraid the rest in the range look awefully dull.
Hmmm - obviously a matter of opinion. So as not to risk an all-out war of words, I'd better not go into reasons why I specifically chose to not buy a Zetec!

Quote:
- Great car. Handling, power, steering, interior, features, solid and strong body, good value value.
On that, I agree totally.

Not sure about OMG's comments about being 'gutless'; 0-100 in 9 seconds isn't shabby in my book. In fairness, other than the cousin Mazda 3 I think you'd be hard pressed to find something quicker for the same money for a new car.
New2Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 02:48 AM   #16
Parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Focus
I'd better not go into reasons why I specifically chose to not buy a Zetec!
Please do
Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 03:07 AM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite
Please do
I second that.

As for gutless, the 2.0 Zetec ain't far behind a 2.3 Mazda 3 SP23 and if you think the 107kw is gutless then goddamn you're used to a 400kw AWD monster... I've never been more impressed with a regular 4cylinder engine in my life (And I'm talking non-performance versions of the engines like the ST170 of old). Feels very torquey, smooth as buggery and low down grunt like a 2.0 litre shouldn't have.
Old 26-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #18
dasheight
Starter Motor

Default Ghia Sedan after 6000

After the first few months of my Focus Ghia, I offer a few points of observation. Aplogies, in advance if I repeat some of the comments above:

The Good -
1. Great performance and road handling. Excellent brakes and transmission.
2. The car looks terrific, is well built and every bit as worthy as its Mazda and Volvo cousins.
3. class-leading interior, a definite pull factor for the car.
4. Overall, a very impressive package - and definitely better than the rather long list of (sometimes minor) complaints below might otherwise suggest. I always look forward to driving it!

The Not-So-Good
1. The sound system is good, but the speakers are pretty ordinary. Baseline Gen 4 Golf had a far superior sound system. If there is a MP3 connection in the glove box, I am yet to find it. The steering column mounted remote audio controls are actually very useful, once you get used to them.
2. The climate control system on the ghia requires months of trial and error to get used to. The section in the owner's manual on the climate control system is confusing and at times internally inconsistent. While I can now fully operate the system, for novice drivers, working the airconditioning is a lost cause. A stab at the 'off' button is usually the best they can manage after giving up in frustration at getting the system to do anything else.
3. Trip computer/information display is too small and difficult to see when it's glary.
4. Road noise. While the optional 17" Zetec alloys look fantastic on the Ghia, you pay the price when driving on anything resembling a coarse road surface. Hopefully new tyres will alleviate this situation
5. Wind noise at speed. Suspect it has something to do with the plastic stick-on bits at the C-pillar.
6. Rear (internal) door trim is poverty plus. Not even a storage pocket.
7. Space-saver spare.
8. Silly things - lack of storage space in front centre armrest/wood-ette panel applique on doors restricts room to operate power window switches/
dasheight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2005, 04:25 PM   #19
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Great feedback, always good to hear both sides of the story! Interesting about the air-con, I thought it was easy as - simple buttons. Maybe I'm just used to climate control systems.

MP3 connection is the white circle up the top of the glovebox opening next to the little metal ring/latch. It's effectively a headphone-jack input.
Old 27-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #20
owens

This past week I've driven the car in a real variety of conditions and it's come out of it great!

First was on a dirt road, the bumps were smooth and I felt in control all the time. The dirt road was maybe 10km's long. The second time was last night driving a 2 hour road trip in heavy rain and fog. In the wet the car handles as if it's dry, I felt in control all the time. The fog lights never really made any difference and this fog was pretty thick - at times only seeing 2 or 3 reflectors in front.

I'm very happy knowing that I feel safe in the car.
owens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2005, 12:42 PM   #21
RATT

Great feedback everyone.

Tyre noise is a byproduct of a car that is quite everywhere else. Less engine noise etc means the tyres get louder. But for the money it's still an awesome package.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2005, 04:28 PM   #22
dasheight
Starter Motor

Thanks R & Z

Found the input jack - right there staring me in the face. Purchased double ended connection, switched stereo system to AUX, but nothing could be heard except the faintest sounds at full volume.
dasheight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2005, 07:22 PM   #23
Forest Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasheight
Thanks R & Z

Found the input jack - right there staring me in the face. Purchased double ended connection, switched stereo system to AUX, but nothing could be heard except the faintest sounds at full volume.
Yes but its a problem with most audio devices with an AUX input so its not a Focus problem. You need to pump the source audio right up to the max and then some more on the head unit to get any sound.
Old 27-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #24
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Yes but its a problem with most audio devices with an AUX input so its not a Focus problem. You need to pump the source audio right up to the max and then some more on the head unit to get any sound.
Just make sure you turn it down when you switch to radio.... e

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 05:10 AM   #25
omg

I use the line out output from the ipod and volume is the same as the radio. When my daughter plugs her shuffle in via the headphone she doesn't need to turn it up too much

Zetec - about 330kw, 1150kgs and RWD but close ;)
Old 28-11-2005, 04:18 PM   #26
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
It says in the car's instruction manual that there is a separate manual for the AUX feature. I don't appear to have this, does anyone else? I'd like to get an iPod to use with the system (single CD is a bit limited on the Zetec), but not sure how to use with the car (besides plugging it in of course!). Does anyone know if you can control the iPod sourced music via the normal stereo controls i.e. flick from one song to another?
Old 28-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #27
omg

I use a sik imp (think it was about $45) which is for docking cradle ipods. This consists of a dongle which plugs into the docking port at the bottom and gives you a female 3.5mm jack and a female firewire connector. This is the line level output (ie not through the internal ipod amp) and the "kit" includes a car charger which goes into the firewire port (and also gives you lots of "buzz" when charging. Only use when you _have_ to charge it in the car). All the aux plug does is let you put sound in so you still need to use the ipod itself for control. Another similar option would be the sendstation pocketdock which is a touch more expensive

To allow the stereo to control the ipod you need a full adaptor such as the ice link, I haven't seen one for the LS yet though I haven't really looked either. They are available for the LR and went for around $300. Another alternative I've seen recently (though not yet released I believe) was a kit which provided a cradle/box with line out output, seperate click wheel and seperate screen. The idea with this was to put the cradle and ipod near the aux jack (in our case in the glovebox), mount the click wheel remotely (say down around the cupholders) and the small screen somewhere in your eyeline (eg on the dash near the A pillar). I saw this about 3 months ago and it was meant to be being released pre christmas (in the US at least) and for me I see it as the best solution as it allows you to control the ipod with minimal disruption to your driving
Old 28-11-2005, 06:45 PM   #28
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by omg
I use a sik imp (think it was about $45) which is for docking cradle ipods. This consists of a dongle which plugs into the docking port at the bottom and gives you a female 3.5mm jack and a female firewire connector. This is the line level output (ie not through the internal ipod amp) and the "kit" includes a car charger which goes into the firewire port (and also gives you lots of "buzz" when charging. Only use when you _have_ to charge it in the car). All the aux plug does is let you put sound in so you still need to use the ipod itself for control. Another similar option would be the sendstation pocketdock which is a touch more expensive

To allow the stereo to control the ipod you need a full adaptor such as the ice link, I haven't seen one for the LS yet though I haven't really looked either. They are available for the LR and went for around $300. Another alternative I've seen recently (though not yet released I believe) was a kit which provided a cradle/box with line out output, seperate click wheel and seperate screen. The idea with this was to put the cradle and ipod near the aux jack (in our case in the glovebox), mount the click wheel remotely (say down around the cupholders) and the small screen somewhere in your eyeline (eg on the dash near the A pillar). I saw this about 3 months ago and it was meant to be being released pre christmas (in the US at least) and for me I see it as the best solution as it allows you to control the ipod with minimal disruption to your driving
Thanks omg, that was an answer and a half! I think the second alternative sounds more like the go. I think I will need to make some enquiries. I was actually considering possibly having a DVD system fitted but the car has no storage space for these as it is.
Old 28-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #29
rider007

I have an Ipod Mini which is connected up and which I leave in the glovebox all the time. Attached to the Ipod Mini is a Griffin Airclick RF remote receiver that allows me to stop,pause,skip,fast forward and turn off the Ipod via a small remote that I leave in the cetntral dash. This is perfect for me as no one knows that I even have an ipod attached yet I still have full control over it. Every few days I take the Ipod out of the glove box , charge it up put a few new songs on and put it back inside it's little home. :
Old 29-11-2005, 12:02 AM   #30
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider007
I have an Ipod Mini which is connected up and which I leave in the glovebox all the time. Attached to the Ipod Mini is a Griffin Airclick RF remote receiver that allows me to stop,pause,skip,fast forward and turn off the Ipod via a small remote that I leave in the cetntral dash. This is perfect for me as no one knows that I even have an ipod attached yet I still have full control over it. Every few days I take the Ipod out of the glove box , charge it up put a few new songs on and put it back inside it's little home. :
Another great idea. Thanks rider007!