Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
profit_trd
Starter Motor

Default Camshaft?

Hi guys,

I have Focus Mk2 2007 2.0lt hatchback. Just wondering, does camshaft really make a different? There are many brands out there, such as Cower, Cosworth etc.

thanks

profit_trd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

camshafts only make a real difference on modified engines, such as exhaust intake and a tune.

If you put cams on your stock engine there will be a slight differnce but not as much as you would see with intake and exhaust. (also note that you may need a tune when you put the cams in)

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
profit_trd
Starter Motor

ok.. what about exhaust manifold then? 4-2-1 or 4-1, which one is better? coz i want to make a mod on my focus so that it can have higher power.

thanks
Old 21-03-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Up late? lol.

There's a few things you could probably do here. Depends really on what you want to do.
For a total exhaust manifold, you can look at a cosworth - http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=562

Not cheap, but you can also look here for a camshaft - http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=803

Again, not cheap. What sort of performance upgrade were you looking for? As in, were you after a massive performance upgrade, or slight increase?

Have you thought about an exhaust system?

Regan

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Looking for something locally, check out the Xforce complete exhaust system for the Mazda 3.

Them perhaps look at an intake to the throttle body.

After that its flash tune territory, with cams, intake manifolds, adjusted timing etc.

Ozmazdaclub has a few modified Duratec (MZR) owners on their forums (Mazda3 and the Focus engine bays are pretty much identical.)

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
profit_trd
Starter Motor

i just want a slight performance increase, such as 10-20 hp. and not too many mods, please. what's the difference in performance for 4-2-1 and 4-1 headers?
Old 24-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

What have you done so far?

I'd look at intake first. Get rid of the lower airbox and run some flex piping from behind the foglight area to the existing airbox. Search the forums theres a guide.

Old 24-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Speaking of intake Chris, I removed my lower airbox today, but am a bit worried as to whether or not I'm getting enough air now, as I didn't run any tubing to replace the one on the resonator. Is it still going to be alright to run? Or will it overheat?
I'm looking at running some silicon piping from the airbox down to behind the dummy panels where the fogs normally are. Will there be enough air coming through there?

Cheers,
Regan

Old 25-03-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrusher89
Speaking of intake Chris, I removed my lower airbox today, but am a bit worried as to whether or not I'm getting enough air now, as I didn't run any tubing to replace the one on the resonator. Is it still going to be alright to run? Or will it overheat?
I'm looking at running some silicon piping from the airbox down to behind the dummy panels where the fogs normally are. Will there be enough air coming through there?

Cheers,
Regan
Regan- You shouldn't have any problems. I've been running like that for about year. You get slightly noticable gains but on a 35deg day punting it around, it does get some hot air from the radiator. Slightly related, the raditator fan blows on all the intake piping and box, heating it, perhaps some heatshielding could fix that.

ps, hows the intake noise now

Old 25-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #10
RJO89
EuroFordClub

You reckon if I just get a sheet if aluminium and find some way to bolt it to the radiator frame for it to act as a heatshield from the radiator?

The intake noise is incredible now. Sounds like a completely different car. Like it's got an aftermarket exhaust kit.

Also, I want to replace the rubber tubing between the airbox and the throttle body. Any suggestions? Would prefer some aluminium piping, but because of the angle on the throttle body I'd probably need it to be specially made. But I'm open to suggestions...

Cheers,
Regan

Old 25-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #11
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrusher89
You reckon if I just get a sheet if aluminium and find some way to bolt it to the radiator frame for it to act as a heatshield from the radiator?

The intake noise is incredible now. Sounds like a completely different car. Like it's got an aftermarket exhaust kit.

Also, I want to replace the rubber tubing between the airbox and the throttle body. Any suggestions? Would prefer some aluminium piping, but because of the angle on the throttle body I'd probably need it to be specially made. But I'm open to suggestions...

Cheers,
Regan
Go to your local performance shop or even Supercheap and just get some silicone tubing, while your at it replace the Ford hose clamps with some screw type clamps. Theyr'e $2 each also from supercheap. Silicone pipe is a bit pricy though.

Old 25-03-2008, 12:48 AM   #12
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Yeah I bloody hate those ford clamps. Shocking. Will do, I'll let you guys know if it makes a difference.

Old 25-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #13
profit_trd
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
What have you done so far?

I'd look at intake first. Get rid of the lower airbox and run some flex piping from behind the foglight area to the existing airbox. Search the forums theres a guide.
Just a bit of blueprinting on the engine block. I'm planning on buying Apexi Power Intake since it's pretty short and the opening is pretty high. I live in an area where when there's a lot of rain, it get flooded. :

And, I'm thinking about buying Milltek's complete exhaust system.
Old 25-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by profit_trd
Just a bit of blueprinting on the engine block. I'm planning on buying Apexi Power Intake since it's pretty short and the opening is pretty high. I live in an area where when there's a lot of rain, it get flooded. :

And, I'm thinking about buying Milltek's complete exhaust system.
Thank God you said Thinking. That stuff is all expensive as hell.

Old 25-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #15
profit_trd
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Thank God you said Thinking. That stuff is all expensive as hell.
any recomendation for complete exhaust system? for apexi, it's pretty cheap. only USd100 here. but don't know how good it is.
Old 25-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #16
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
any recomendation for complete exhaust system? for apexi, it's pretty cheap. only USd100 here. but don't know how good it is.
Got a link for that one? Seems awfully cheap...

Old 25-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #17
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
i would suggest Hitech Exhaust for a complete catback. alternatively you can go Liverpool exhaust or castlehill exhaust.

Old 25-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #18
Penko

i would recommend the xforce headers and cat back from, xforce. have it on my car and people say it sounds amazing.

cheers

Ford Focus LX
Xforce 4-1 Extractors, Xforce 2.5" Exhaust, K&N Performance Cold Air Intake, Pedders Sports Ryder Suspension All Round, 18" Zanetti Wheels, Sony 800 Watt Amp + Pioneer 6/9 + 12" MTX Sub
Penko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #19
profit_trd
Starter Motor

should i go for 4-2-1 or 4-1? for apexi, website is www.apexi.com. it's apexi power intake.
Old 25-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #20
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I'm confused.

Apexi Power Intake is effectively a cone filter for the air intake.

4-1 or 4-2-1 is a header question. (4-2-1 will be better to maintain low end torque in a street car)

Or are you asking 2 questions?

(That's why $100 is cheap for a Miltek sysem.....he's talking about $100 for the Apexi cone filter)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #21
profit_trd
Starter Motor

yupe. actually i was answering edgecrusher for apexi. for header, i was asking different question. but thanks for the answer melbzetec.
Old 26-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #22
profit_trd
Starter Motor

Melbzetec, i've another question. I looked at your signature and you use quaife torsen. Is it good? Is that for Mk2?

thanks, bro
Old 26-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #23
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Melbzetec, i've another question. I looked at your signature and you use quaife torsen. Is it good? Is that for Mk2?

thanks, bro
Melbzetec had a Quaife Differential which isnt installed yet. Torsen is a different company all together.

the one melbzetec has wont fit your gearbox i am assuming. not exactly 100% sure what is in there. but the LR (mk1) is an MTX75 gearbox.

Old 26-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #24
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Spot on Sean. Not installed yet.

Torsen is confusing. There is one advertsied as Torsen brand, but sometimes torsen is used as the generic name as they are all TORque SENsing differentials.

I am pretty sure there is a Quaife diff for the Mark 2 (think Fast Ford mag from the UK had an article on it last month)

Not really needed until you have bigger power...... (just happenned to have picked mine up cheap, and will have it installed the next time I need a clutch replacement)

But I've only heard good things about them
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #25
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Hey guys,
I know i'm digging up an ancient thread here, but want to just confirm about the Xforce Mazda3 exhaust as mentioned above. You guys have said that the engine bay is nearly identical, but how does that system fit on a Focus? Do the hangers line up correctly, or foul on anything? Their cannon system looks the goods, but is Xforce Australian made, or china rubbish?

And on a related note, I've noticed that the focus ecu is a learning type that seems to adjust depending on your driving, but is there a PC input on the ecu itself? Or do you need to buy a pre-programmed chip for it?
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #26
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
Hey guys,
I know i'm digging up an ancient thread here, but want to just confirm about the Xforce Mazda3 exhaust as mentioned above. You guys have said that the engine bay is nearly identical, but how does that system fit on a Focus? Do the hangers line up correctly, or foul on anything? Their cannon system looks the goods, but is Xforce Australian made, or china rubbish?

And on a related note, I've noticed that the focus ecu is a learning type that seems to adjust depending on your driving, but is there a PC input on the ecu itself? Or do you need to buy a pre-programmed chip for it?
Where you looking at just the catback exhaust, or the header and cat as well?

The canon muffler won't fit unless you modify the rear bumper. The Mazda 3 bumper already has a cut-out for the muffler. So, the alternatives are either a custom rear muffler, or the straight-through / tailpipe system, which is loud as #$@.

AFAIK, X-force isn't Australian made. Having said that, the Mazda 3 system is full stainless steel. If you want even better quality, you could like at Milltek ($$$), or getting a quote on a local exhaust shop making you up a custom system (2.25" is recommended for the 2.0L engine, 2.5" for the Mazda's 2.3L engine).
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #27
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

I'd be looking at a complete system. Just worried about the quality of welds and things - I had a set of china headers on one of my r31's, and it cracked on a skidpan day from the heat.

I plan to do some breathing mods to it too, I want to import one of those cossie intake plenumns, and a 60mm throt body, and possibly crower stage1 cams down the track, and am thinking by that stage I would have wanted to get the 2.5 system instead of a 2.25. However all plans for power mods may be sidelined if it means I have to get a motec just to drive the cams.

Last edited by Mad_Aussie; 13-09-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 13-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #28
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
I'd be looking at a complete system. Just worried about the quality of welds and things - I had a set of china headers on one of my r31's, and it cracked on a skidpan day from the heat.

I plan to do some breathing mods to it too, I want to import one of those cossie intake plenumns, and a 60mm throt body, and possibly crower stage1 cams down the track, and am thinking by that stage I would have wanted to get the 2.5 system instead of a 2.25. However all plans for power mods may be sidelined if it means I have to get a motec just to drive the cams.
I did a lot of research on the xforce system before buying it, and I didn't come across any issues. There was lots of info on it in the various Mazda 3 problems, and there was no mention of cracking, poor welds etc. From memory, the full system retails at ~$1500, inc fitting. There are no issues with fouling as far as I know. The problem you will come across (and the Mazda 3 guys experienced this too), is that the exhaust gas flow now becomes too efficient with this system, triggering off a check engine light (CEL) - the rear o2 sensor thinks that the cat is operating below efficiency. There is 2 ways of fixing this - #1 get a custom tune, that disables the rear 02 sensor, or #2, see my post HERE (scroll down to post #8) - the o2 spark plug non-fouler trick (cheap fix but it sure works!).

Speaking of custom tunes, you don't need a motec to run the cams. The stock ECU is tuneable via the SCT X3 tuner, check Bullet Performance Racing's website for details. You can plug this into the OBD2 port, which is down near your right knee. Cost of a custom tune costs $1300-$1500 at most places, but this includes the hand-held device, which can store several tunes at once.

The cosworth intake plenums are excellent, and ignore the false rumours out there that they cause a loss of bottom end torque. With a good tune, the plenums will allow for good power + a nice, consistent torque curve. One of these have been on my to-do list for ages, but I'd only look at combining this with cams at the same time.

Have you considered the cosworth cams instead of the crower cams? The cossie cams are designed to work with the cossie intake plenum. The Ford Fiesta ST150 guys in the UK (aka XR4) have the same engine as our Focus and get 200bhp at the engine from the cossie plenum + cossie base level cams, when combined with the K&N intake, exhaust and custom tune.

Piper cams also get a good wrap, they are used by Mountune in their Ford upgrades, although they're a little more expensive. Speaking of which, Mountune also have a new type of intake plenum coming out for their ST150 stage 3 upgrade, which should also be compatible with our cars.

By the way, to get all of your parts, check Burton UK. They have better pricing and good customer service.

I hope some of this helps!

Last edited by DZFord; 13-09-2010 at 11:48 PM.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #29
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Appreciated mate, thanks for that! Pretty much exactly the info I was chasing. The Burton website is a little hard to navigate lol!
Cheers