Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2023, 07:22 PM   #1
Magee

Default Roadworthy in VIC for cars eligible for Club reg.

I may be wrong but I thought there was a bit of leniency for older cars that were to be on club reg. I am not referring to safety items only compliance issues such as emissions and minor modifications.

I have one car on club reg for over 5 years and another that I hope to have on the road this year.

I recently had chat with several roadworthy guys and was told pretty clearly there are no concessions for club reg cars. The car must be complaint to the year it was manufactured and is treated the same as any other vehicle. Since my ute is a 1978 model. I need to fit all of the emissions gear that was on that model.

Second if there are issues due to the lack of new replacement parts and the example used was a torn door seal. You still need to find a solution and cannot argue that I cannot buy new or good second hand parts. My car is okay since rare spares stocks the seals for my model but there are many other bits you cannot buy new.

Not sure if this is recent change to crack down on the clunkers that are out on the roads every day with club reg, but I would be interested to hear if anyone has taken their project car in for a Roadworthy to get club reg and had the same feedback.
Magee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
MuzzMelbourne

Default Re: Roadworthy in VIC for cars eligible for Club reg.

Not a car but...

My mate had a Honda CB550F in mint condition and wanted club reg. He had to join the Honda club and their official authorised roadworthy dude came to his house and went over it with a very fine tooth comb to approve it. He nearly failed it because he was suspicious the bike's didn't come out in his colour!

Heaps more vicious than VicRoads et al, so yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it had to be absolutely to factory spec. I would be stunned if you got away without complete, genuine, emission controls.

Good luck though.
Old 21-01-2023, 09:16 AM   #3
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a vehicle is older than 1948 (or is it 1948 and earlier?) a RWC is not needed for a club permit. I am fairly sure about this but the club I belong to has a committee meeting today and I will check/clarify that. The vehicle still needs to be inspected by the club's 'technical officer' and approved by that officer.

I am pretty sure that a 1978 vehicle would need the same sort of RWC for the club permit system as any other vehicle that you might want to put back on the road on full reg. There would be no concessions.

How could the colour of the CB550 make any difference? That sounds ridiculous. So, if you have a US market CB550 which is 100% road worthy in every mechanical/safety respect but it was sold in the US in a colour that was not available at the time in Oz, you can't get a RWC to get it on the club permit system? Sounds like BS. That means you wouldn't be able to get a RWC to even get it on full reg.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #4
MuzzMelbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
...How could the colour of the CB550 make any difference? That sounds ridiculous.
I agree entirely, it was! My point was, the level of detail this guy was prepared to go to before club permit approval. He passed it, but obviously needed to make the point that he was God in the scheme of things that day. After all, he could find nothing else to 'pick' on.
Old 21-01-2023, 09:30 AM   #5
MuzzMelbourne

Also, I'm pretty sure the club's are responsible for issuing the plates. Is that correct, or is it still VicRoads?
Old 21-01-2023, 10:20 AM   #6
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Maintaining your license as a LVT is pretty important. VicRoads have been cracking down a lot on the dodgies and by extension, with their rules and digital requirements now are making it harder and harder to even complete a dodgy.

If those are the rules, you'll find the workshops have to follow it. Some may flaunt it, others will hold firm.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2023, 11:55 AM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Pretty simple really maintain your vehicle to a roadworthy standard that would pass a Vicroad inspection and there won't be a problem with getting club plates.

Never heard of it being more lenient than full rego or whether it should even be. imo

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2023, 04:38 PM   #8
Magee

Thanks for the feedback. I will put all the emission gear on as per the workshop manual once I find it my shed.
One problem part is the triple port vacuum switch as mine is stuffed. The top section is plastic and they go brittle over and port tubes break off. Unfortunately I cannot find anyone who makes these new and good second hands ones are hard to find. I did see one a few years back for $150 and thought it was way to much for a such simple switch. Now I am thinking I should have got when I had the chance.
Old 21-01-2023, 04:54 PM   #9
Magee

Before everyone tells me I am not looking hard enough. I just did a search and found one which is listed as new old stock for $230. I will take my old one with me to double check the brass thread is exactly the same can and if it is I will buy it.
Old 21-01-2023, 06:14 PM   #10
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just back from the committee meeting.

Pre-1949 vehicles (anything built up to and including 1948) vehicles do not need a RWC, but they do need to be inspected and passed as roadworthy by the club's technical person. I imagine that info would be given to VICROADS with the application for the club plates.

It is VICROADS who issue the plates.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2023, 08:11 AM   #11
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
If a vehicle is older than 1948 (or is it 1948 and earlier?) a RWC is not needed for a club permit. I am fairly sure about this but the club I belong to has a committee meeting today and I will check/clarify that. The vehicle still needs to be inspected by the club's 'technical officer' and approved by that officer.

I am pretty sure that a 1978 vehicle would need the same sort of RWC for the club permit system as any other vehicle that you might want to put back on the road on full reg. There would be no concessions.

How could the colour of the CB550 make any difference? That sounds ridiculous. So, if you have a US market CB550 which is 100% road worthy in every mechanical/safety respect but it was sold in the US in a colour that was not available at the time in Oz, you can't get a RWC to get it on the club permit system? Sounds like BS. That means you wouldn't be able to get a RWC to even get it on full reg.
I was until a recently a VP and Treasurer , and still am a scrutineer of a Vict car club and for all vehciles AFTER 1948 you MUST have a current RWC to go onto the CPS, you must also be a member of a registered Vicroads Car Club, you must have a letter from the Club stating you are current member. You don't need a RWC when changing clubs once the car is on CPS

Read this (from Vicroads website), look at point 3 - https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...-a-club-permit

* CPS = 'Club Permit Scheme', it is not 'rego', you are running on a Permit

Last edited by Trevor 57; 22-01-2023 at 08:20 AM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2023, 08:12 AM   #12
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzMelbourne View Post
Also, I'm pretty sure the club's are responsible for issuing the plates. Is that correct, or is it still VicRoads?
Vicroads
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2023, 08:22 AM   #13
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magee View Post
I may be wrong but I thought there was a bit of leniency for older cars that were to be on club reg. I am not referring to safety items only compliance issues such as emissions and minor modifications.

I have one car on club reg for over 5 years and another that I hope to have on the road this year.

I recently had chat with several roadworthy guys and was told pretty clearly there are no concessions for club reg cars. The car must be complaint to the year it was manufactured and is treated the same as any other vehicle. Since my ute is a 1978 model. I need to fit all of the emissions gear that was on that model.

Second if there are issues due to the lack of new replacement parts and the example used was a torn door seal. You still need to find a solution and cannot argue that I cannot buy new or good second hand parts. My car is okay since rare spares stocks the seals for my model but there are many other bits you cannot buy new.

Not sure if this is recent change to crack down on the clunkers that are out on the roads every day with club reg, but I would be interested to hear if anyone has taken their project car in for a Roadworthy to get club reg and had the same feedback.
there are some RWC people around who will do a bit of a 'nod nod wink wink' for a RWC for CPS, but in reality the RWC should be the same for all cars regardless of age or rego/CPS type
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2023, 06:45 PM   #14
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't stress to much with pollution gear, as long as it looks somewhat factory under the bonnet it should pass a VIC RWC no problem. No mechanic is going to do a test on the EGR valve to make sure it passes RWC. I'd be more worried about making sure all your suspension, wheels/tyres, windscreen, seat belts, lights etc are all in good condition. Generally if the car looks tidy/ clean with all the basics in good working order they are usually less picky. If the car looks like an absolute **** heap, expect a massive list and i don't blame them.
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2023, 06:26 AM   #15
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well said
Old 24-01-2023, 12:01 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78xcgxl
I wouldn't stress to much with pollution gear, as long as it looks somewhat factory under the bonnet it should pass a VIC RWC no problem. No mechanic is going to do a test on the EGR valve to make sure it passes RWC. I'd be more worried about making sure all your suspension, wheels/tyres, windscreen, seat belts, lights etc are all in good condition. Generally if the car looks tidy/ clean with all the basics in good working order they are usually less picky. If the car looks like an absolute **** heap, expect a massive list and i don't blame them.
Yep. My NL doesn't even have the EGR valve or any of that stuff fitted, but the guy doing the RWC isn't going to know it's not there unless he specializes in injected Windsors.

They only picked up front brake pads and wheel bearings, a leaking shock and an oil leak on mine. Emissions gear is probably the last thing they would look at. They did know it was going onto a club permit though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: