Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-03-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
Curly22
Starter Motor

Question Ford Focus Ghia VS Renault Megane 2.0 L

Hi all,

I'm having trouble deciding between Focus Ghia and the megane. From what I've seen they are both impressive cars, and they both have great reviews. So I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has had both or tried them or knows of people that own them and could give me some advice in the pro and cons for each or both cars? I am very concerned about safety and it seems that the megane has more to offer. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Curly22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
lincoln
Blinded

I agree that the Megane has greater safety credentials. Once you see crash tests including curtain airbags, you want them. You simply can not get these in Focus unless you get an XR5.

Most reviews do give the Focus the thumbs up over the Megane. Depending on your budget, I'd be having a look at a RenaultSport Megane 225.

The main difference between the two from what I've read is steering feel, with the Megane having electric steering, and the focus an electro-hydraulic system. Having driven a Golf with electric steering, I don't think it's that bad and you'll adjust to it.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

So Curly, what did you end up with?

In my opinion, if the Safety is that much of an issue, maybe you should actually look at either the Golf or the Mazda3?

But like Lincoln said, what is your budget like? I guess if you can stretch for it, maybe look at the XR5T then? Like that you get the safety credentials, but the car is also much more superior dynamically, meaning you might even be able to avoid ever having to see how well it handles an accident.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Surely for a price comparison of a RS Megane 225 you would want to consider a XR5T or Golf GTI which sport all the safety aspects and better car dynamics.

Good luck with your purchase either way. _2:
Old 11-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyagi
Surely for a price comparison of a RS Megane 225 you would want to consider a XR5T or Golf GTI which sport all the safety aspects and better car dynamics.

Good luck with your purchase either way. _2:
The Megane 225 Cup goes pretty hard - but I would much rather the XR5T with leather. Definetly my next car if it still exists in 3 years time!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #6
lincoln
Blinded

The Golf is a 4 star rated car, as is the Mazda3. If you're concerned about safety, my hat would still be in the Renault ring at this price point.

If Oz had the European Focus instead of the Saffa one, then I'd be going for the Focus.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post