Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why don't Dealers want to sell cars?

I have been looking for a particular car, and finally found one at a decent price at an dealer, with everything we want. I'm happy enough with the price subject to a couple of things.
  • So I sent an email. I explained that I was interstate and asked for two things: Send me a copy of their workshop report and how much they will take off to waive the statutory warranty. Got a generic automated reply.
  • So sent again. - Nothing.
  • Sent again. Got a "how can we help you email"
  • So I ask AGAIN. - "yes all our cars are inspected and come with a warranty." FMD
  • So I ask AGAIN. - "Yes I can send you the report if you would like and yes it would be difficult to action the warranty.
  • So I ask AGAIN. - "I'm going home, will call you in the morning."
    (First email sent around 2pm their time, last reply received around 5:45pm their time.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Default Re: Why don't Dealers want to sell cars?

This is why we hate email Dazz
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

What sort of car?
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

LOL, I've emailed two dealers in the past, both were on the phone to me within the hour.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

couldn't ring them ?
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I think most dealers don't like selling non inspected vehicles to interstate buyers. Too much hassle. Seriously buying over the net, how do you know the vehicle isn't bogged and rusted out?
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

If you are serious fly there and inspect the vehicle. I bet they are sick of reading emails with no eventual sale outcomes.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 AM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
I think most dealers don't like selling non inspected vehicles to interstate buyers. Too much hassle.
So doing their job in order to make money is too much hassle?

Sadly, I think that may be true. Unless you're a brainless bogan or bimbo with a bag of cash, and clearly retarded and so therefore likely to sign up for an extended warranty(sic) and "protection pack" they're just not interested in getting off their *****.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's wrong with using the telephone? Why would you be afraid to speak to them in person, especially if you are really interested in the car?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

not indicating that you fall into this category but it may help explain. There too many time wasters these days just sending emails, maybe the dealership has worked out their percentages of how many sales come via email, vs phone vs walk in customers and have dedicated their time to their most profitable area. Not sure of state you are talking about but they may not be able to sell the car without a warranty

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
There too many time wasters these days just sending emails, maybe the dealership has worked out their percentages of how many sales come via email, vs phone vs walk in customers and have dedicated their time to their most profitable area.
This could be the answer.

Both dealers that I've contacted (and bought cars from) via the 'net was through their advertising, meaning that on the enquiry page your phone number is required.

As I mentioned before both dealers called me within the hour. After they found I was a serious buyer we both then communicated either over the phone or through email.

If a dealer gets 20-30 emails a day asking about any number of cars he has listed he would spend all day on the computer, not closing deals.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some times its the salesman

I remember walking into a dealer and telling the sales guy the car I wanted with all the options and he kept me waiting for 30 minutes before I got up to walk out and then he asked me to wait another 5 . I waited 15 got up told the 2 idiots trying to figure out the price that they were complexly useless and walked out

Went to a dealer 2 doors down, told them what I wanted the salesman punched a couple of numbers into the calculator told me the price and 5 minutes later I signed the contract

Second example, I wanted to buy a CV8 R monaro
Went to a dealer but the salesman couldnt give me a price but told me he would get back to me. rang him every day for 3 days leaving messages - he never retuned my calls

Walked into another dealer negotiated a price in 5 minutes and I signed the contract

I sent an email to the dealer principle of the first yard about what happened to me
He called me back and offered me a better deal than the one I got but told him it was too late and that he was obviously paying his sales people too much

I dropped in there about a month later to get some touch up paint and purposely went into the show room to ask for the salesman..... I was told " I'm sorry he is no longer with the company "
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
not indicating that you fall into this category but it may help explain. There too many time wasters these days just sending emails, maybe the dealership has worked out their percentages of how many sales come via email, vs phone vs walk in customers and have dedicated their time to their most profitable area.
However they PROMOTE themselves as an "INTERNET Dealer."
If I were asking different questions each time, I could understand him getting frustrated, but the fact remains had he bothered to answer them the first time, I would have bought the car by now.
Even he'd said "sorry our boss doesn't like giving out our inspection reports" the first time, I would have moved on from that, but instead ignores my request three times, before saying "oh I can send it to you if you'd like," and STILL not doing it.
Phone him? So he can lie to me every time and then deny it? Talking to a car dealer on the phone would have to be the very definition of pointless, because you can't trust ANYTHING they say.

And yes, I can waive my right to a warranty in the state.

NB: I have actually made an offer (via email, not exactly binding but better than verbal over the phone) that is within 4% of the asking price.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 11-07-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to buy a car nothing is better than a face to face coversation even if it' s only to tell them no or they're idiots , at least you've seen the car and know the deal.
You will eventually get the car you want if you're not unreasonal, if you are you will get the short shift every time , and will deserve it.
So forget the emails if it's not close enough to goa and see don't bother. Have a read of the dramas commi is having with his GT from grays on line.
Let us know when you buy but I suspect we will be reading this same thread next year.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

For once I agree with Dazz here, I'd rather email a dealer to get everything down in writing. They will generally say anything on the phone to get a deal. Then if something happens later in the deal, they deny they said anything.
In the last 5 years I reckon I've purchased about 8 cars via email (new and used), most having never spoken to a salesman on the phone. I generally get a contract emailed with the clauses subject to me seeing their car and them seeing mine.
I also don't want these guys having my mobile number to call me every hour asking if I'm buying their car.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #16
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
For once I agree with Dazz here, I'd rather email a dealer to get everything down in writing. They will generally say anything on the phone to get a deal. Then if something happens later in the deal, they deny they said anything.
In the last 5 years I reckon I've purchased about 8 cars via email (new and used), most having never spoken to a salesman on the phone. I generally get a contract emailed with the clauses subject to me seeing their car and them seeing mine.
I also don't want these guys having my mobile number to call me every hour asking if I'm buying their car.
Until the contract with details is signed nothing is binding regardless which method you use!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you a genuine buyer? I notice in your signature that you want to buy a lot, genuine buyers go out and buy.
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What I want to know is why can't I go onto Ford's website and go I want this car, in this colour, with these options, direct deposit the cash into Fords bank account, the guys who regas the AC when it lands in Melbourne can do the "pre delivery inspection" and I'll pick it up from the docks.

If I have a warranty issue I'll take it to a dealership.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I deal alot with customers over Emails. To be blunt, they can wait!

If I am busy in the shop with customers, I am not going to excuse myself to read emails? I will though excuse myself to answer a phone call if the moment is appropriate.

I will answer emails when I can, sometimes next morning as that is the best time for me to sit and read.

You want a response now? Use the phone or go face to face. If you don't want an immediate reply, then email. Find this in most business .... as said, those that cannot be bothered to ring are just keyboard shoppers and to weed through those can take you away from real sales that are standing in front of you.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #20
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had dramas inquiring about the F6's when they were advertised 55k drive away.
Went to the dealer, pulled up in what i think is my respectable looking BF turbo ute, walked in, dealership empty. 2 sales people come to ask if i needed help.
Told them i was very interested in getting an F6 under the FPV deal going at the time.

"we don't have any F6's here"
i knew that as i could only see a GT-P parked on the FPV side of the dealership
"can you order them to build or transfer from another dealer?"
"We don't have an F6 but you can buy this GT-P, they are faster and cooler"
"I'm not interested in the GT-P, im after F6 as its what i want"
"We only have the GT-P"

What a waste of time and fuel driving there. Me and my partner were very keen to get a White auto F6 before they stopped making them.

Guess we will wait and see what the FX/FH is like.
We had bought a new car 2 years ago.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #21
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
What I want to know is why can't I go onto Ford's website and go I want this car, in this colour, with these options, direct deposit the cash into Fords bank account, the guys who regas the AC when it lands in Melbourne can do the "pre delivery inspection" and I'll pick it up from the docks.

If I have a warranty issue I'll take it to a dealership.
And if something is wrong with your new car who takes responsibility at the Docks?

The Dealer is the sales outlet!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #22
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post

I will answer emails when I can, sometimes next morning as that is the best time for me to sit and read.
Completely appropriate IMO, email is the snail mail of the modern age. In expected speeds of response I rate it right down with an actual letter. If you want a business owner to give you immediate attention/responses go down in person or at least call.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #23
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I have been looking for a particular car, and finally found one at a decent price at an dealer, with everything we want. I'm happy enough with the price subject to a couple of things.
  • So I sent an email. I explained that I was interstate and asked for two things: Send me a copy of their workshop report and how much they will take off to waive the statutory warranty. Got a generic automated reply.
  • So sent again. - Nothing.
  • Sent again. Got a "how can we help you email"
  • So I ask AGAIN. - "yes all our cars are inspected and come with a warranty." FMD
  • So I ask AGAIN. - "Yes I can send you the report if you would like and yes it would be difficult to action the warranty.
  • So I ask AGAIN. - "I'm going home, will call you in the morning."
    (First email sent around 2pm their time, last reply received around 5:45pm their time.
*Unsubscribe*
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #24
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Have to say I disagree. In this day and age, an unanswered email is no different to an unanswered telephone. I email queries to companies all the time, especially if they have fairly standard opening hours (ie 9-5 office hours that I'm at work). I work in an open-plan office and it's impractical to make personal calls like that too often.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg

Last edited by MOND30; 12-07-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typo
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
And if something is wrong with your new car who takes responsibility at the Docks?

The Dealer is the sales outlet!
Goes back to a Ford dealership for warranty, you ever seen a pre delivery inspection at a dealership? They're hopeless, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles would do a better inspection.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #26
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30 View Post
Have to say I disagree. In this day and age, an unanswered email is no different to an unanswered telephone. I email queries to companies all the time, especially if they have fairly standard opening hours (ie 9-5 office hours that I'm at work). I work in an open-plan office and it's impractical to make personal calls like that too often.
....... but if everyone is sitting in front of their computers typing away, who is serving the customers on the floor? Next whinge will be "Walked into a showroom and no one wanted to serve me as they were all just reading their computers ......" I can sift through 30 plus emails if I leave them for 1/2 a day! Alot is crap but most still need to see what they are about!

Just cannot win with some people.

Show an interest in turning up and I am sure you would be looked after.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #27
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

we once received an email hat was sent at something like 2.00am on a Sunday morning, we received a phone call at approx 8.5am on Monday morning and they were not 100% happy that no one had answered them

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
....... but if everyone is sitting in front of their computers typing away, who is serving the customers on the floor? Next whinge will be "Walked into a showroom and no one wanted to serve me as they were all just reading their computers ......" I can sift through 30 plus emails if I leave them for 1/2 a day! Alot is crap but most still need to see what they are about!

Just cannot win with some people.

Show an interest in turning up and I am sure you would be looked after.
I'm reasonable that when I send an email I dont mind waiting around a week for a reply, I don't expect people to drop everything and read emails.

Also having worked in a shop where the phone is ringing, there is nothing worse than trying to do a job and the phone keeps ringing so you keep going backwards/forwards from job to phone all of the time.
Old 13-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #29
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Quote:
....... but if everyone is sitting in front of their computers typing away, who is serving the customers on the floor? Next whinge will be "Walked into a showroom and no one wanted to serve me as they were all just reading their computers ......" I can sift through 30 plus emails if I leave them for 1/2 a day! Alot is crap but most still need to see what they are about! ...
If the business promotes themselves as an "Internet Dealer" (as the OP stated), then they need to put the necessary resources into it. No point giving out an email address if no one (or no one competent) bothers to read and action them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #30
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I get e mail enquiry for one of my trucks most days. Usually they occur after 10 pm and when you ring them the next day they don't know who you are and which vehicle you're calling back about. It seems there's a tendency to have way too many beers and click enquiry on 20+ vehicles, then sober up and they're aren't ready to buy. It happens 3 or 4 a week. Of course some are genuine enquires and you have to treat them all as such until proven otherwise.

And as a process I try to respond not within a couple of business hours. Like Auslandau I don't sit over my PC all day.

My experience with email enquires is that typically they are info seekers or window shoppers. Those that are ready to buy have no fear in picking up the phone.

A great example was I had a typical late night enquiry asking would I except a cash offer of $X for quick sale on a vehicle I'd had for a while. I ring the guy. He goes yeah it's a cheeky offer but it's all I can afford. The $$ weren't what I wanted but I thought stuff it I need it gone. I tell him ok for a quick sale, come and get it. 6 weeks later, I'm still waiting for him to arrive.

My other pet peeve is the people who want to negotiate over the phone. "What's you best price". Really. They're not going to buy it over the phone then and there. I know it's possible. But in 20 years it hasn't happened yet. Come and have a look, decide you want it. Then we can talk. People do buy over the phone/net, but ther is usually a series of call and emails to get to that point of "what's your bottom line". And when they do it's real.