Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or other martial artists

Hello everyone,

I just started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and wondered if anybody else on the forum did, or any martial art for that matter.

I have found it great fun for the few times I have gone so far,
got myself a Gi and am just reading and watching youtube videos for more understanding on what to do etc,

all good fun I must say

Old 20-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
fordv8!

haven't trained for a few years want to do jeet kune do and where i have found somewhere to train you must do brazialian jiu jitsu for 6 months first then start jkd so that sounds good that you are enjoying it
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the saying goes leave your ego at the door
well I just make sure I tell everyone im new and hope they either teach me something or go easy lol

I am hoping to find a local who might want to just practice things outside of class too but we will see
Old 20-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

I did MMA for a while which covered a variety of martial arts and eventually got put up into the advanced class for it. Did some training sessions with Adrian Peng (world cage fighting champion) at Tony green's house (ex australian cage fighting champ) so i had some great instructers, only reason i stopped was cause i now work every night and cant train :(
Really enjoyed it tho the best thing was gettin a few of the advanced fella's together and goin to the back of the gym to sparr and we'd watch youtube videos and bring along new moves to train with and yeah.
Was meant to be in a Jiu Jitsu competition but it was on the night of my school formal! spewin that i missed that but hey.
Glad you're enjoying it hell if i could find someone to train with during the day time i'd love it but till then it isnt meant to be :'(
Old 20-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like you had an eventful time in the ring!

I am training at Red Dragon martial arts at Caboolture. I was looking at some recent BJJ competitions and they had a fair few people in the top 3 of a variety of divisions which is always a good sign.

LOTS to learn!! I am trying to go 3 nights a week(soreness pending given I am very unfit due to working in an office and not being a sporty person)
maybe later I will go upto 5 nights per week (2 nights are rolling the other 3 are drills)
Old 21-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
pb02
inconceivable!

I did BJJ for about 2 years, prior to that 3 years of Hung Gar Kung Fu. I've also had a couple of years of boxing and did a year of freestyle wrestling.
Gave it up once I got married, would love to get back into it again but it's hard finding time these days...
A good tip, BJJ is awesome and great fun, but I found doing some freestyle wrestling or something like Judo that involves throws and getting people to the ground will give you a huge advantage if your going to compete.
I competed in the Pan Pacs for BJJ and both my fights ended up spending too much time and energy just trying to get my opponent to the mat. (was the same for almost all the fights I saw.) My mate won his weigth division (russian freestyle wrestler) and had no formal BJJ training, simply because he was able to get people down quickly and to a point he could control them.
Good luck!
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I've trained in Jeet Kune Do, tai chi chuan and escrima(Filipino stick fighting) since I was 12, but I stopped nearly 10 years ago due to a basketball injury.

My father and his brother studied Shaolin Kung Fu in Manila's Chinatown in their youth - my uncle is still very much into it despite being almost 70.
He lives in the U.S. now and has had several articles on martial arts published. He is also featured in the book "Masters of Kali and Escrima".

Here's one of his articles: http://www.nytaichi.com/looking.htm

I'd seriously like to get back into training, but I'll wait till my 2 little daughters are old enough and we can all train together (girls need to know how to defend themselves).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
MAD
Petro-sexual

I'm currently training in Hapkido and Jeet Kune Do. Our club has just become a branch of Progressive Martial Arts (www.progressivemartialarts.com.au) for JKD. Simo Cookie is the highest ranked JKD instructor below Dan Inosanto.
I'm really enjoying the variety of JKD, especially the Silat side of it. It's so elaborate, but simple and devastating at the same time. Hapkido is good fun too, helping with flexibility for kicking and learning to flow with your opponents energy.
I've also been involved in Gong Kwon Yusul. It's a new art to Australia originating from Korea with its background from Hapkido. It has more of a focus on ground fighting, but maintains aspects of the 'art' side of things with the formality of some patterns.
Old 21-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
aye you
The Origional, The Best

Rhee Tae Kwon-D0 for 12 yearl=s and am currently a 1st dan black belt and an instructor.

I also train BJJ for 5 years so i've got a good stand up and ground game.

Definatly need to leave your ego at the door. Remember when your at training, what ever is happening in your personal life stays at the door.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there any reccomended reading or watching to accelerate my learning in BJJ ??
Old 21-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
aye you
The Origional, The Best

first stop should be www.sherdog.net
Then
http://www.ultimatejujitsu.com/

but remember, always have your coach show you how to do these. too many times i've seen guys come into our gym and attempt to pull something they saw on UFC or youtube and end up badly hurting thier sparring partner because they didn't understand what they were doing. Youtube videos are a great source to learn, but never attempt to do them without first working through it with your coach.

Blackers, the only way you can "accellerate" your training is by working and working hard. BJJ is a different beast ot your traditional martial art, where there are only 5 ranks than you can be a white belt for a year or more. You should not be worried about learning and advancing as fast as you can, that will happen in time.

Old 21-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that mate. I have been on sherdog. Will look at the others.

I am not looking to learn moves on YouTube etc just understanding what things / techniques are called and when to do what etc as it is hard to soak it all up in a 1hr session if you know what I mean.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
aye you
The Origional, The Best

oh yeah, nothing like a guy half your size mopping the floor with your *** lol

i still remember my first BJJ lesson. Young and dumb, really was a hard pill to swallow getting waxed over and over.

Just remember when your rolling you are going to get tapped over and over and over. everything is a learning experience, stick with it and it will fall into place

Old 21-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah sure is a shock to the system to know you can basically do NOTHING except use strength but technique nearly always wins!!

today we did guard passing to side control to mount drill (a standard type drill apparently)
once i got the hang of the positioning I just rolled with it and improved slowly but surely.
the hard part for me at the moment is remembering where your feet and hands should be as you have to remember its a full constant contact type of game not arms flailing etc ie remembering to grip the lapel and go straight into guard rather than leave legs down on the ground
Old 21-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #15
aye you
The Origional, The Best

are you training specifically Gi or doing no Gi as well?

how's the mid section shaping up? I remember not been able to move for days after my first roll. and i was at peak fitness then too

Old 21-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #16
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they have 3 Gi and 2 No Gi classes (i think 2 gi and 1 no gi are drills then 1 of each is a rolling session in 5 min rounds then swap partners (they have MMA(all the bit BEFORE hitting the ground) following the BJJ session so they incorporate everybody

So I am doing both Gi and No Gi

I am not fit at all and am feeling it the day after thats for sure!
I pulled a muscle in my neck last week but it came good after 2-3 days of rest and just kept doing some stretches etc to keep it mobile

being only new I do more laying flat on my back than "rolling" but once i start getting some drills worked out and remember them (TOTAL mental blank at my 1st rolling session)
I'm sure it will become more involved
Old 22-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #17
aye you
The Origional, The Best

give you a hit, especially for the neck. when your on your back, lay you head on the floor, try to avoid holding your head up. I know its hard and you want to look at what your doing but if you can train yourself to be able to feel your positon and your partners position you will find it much easier on your body

Old 26-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bloody annoyed this week
I took wednesday off training as i had debs sisters birthday dinner,
then on thursday I felt a little tickle in the throat and just felt burnt out and friday and saturday I have had a sore throat and bit of a runny nose!!
hence I haven't gone to training since Monday god damn it
Old 27-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #19
aye you
The Origional, The Best

it'll happen

Old 27-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #20
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, always when you don't want it to I bet.
do you know if there are any activites I could be doing while I am not at training ie stretches or drills that help my development that I don't need a proper training partner for?
Old 28-06-2010, 01:52 AM   #21
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Hey blackers I remember red dragon my brother use to go there a fair bit. If I get back to Aus this year that is a place I definatly want to join up to. Is it a rough crowd there?
Old 28-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #22
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate
They seem pretty nice to me. Just need to warm up to ya etc. What did your bro do there??
Old 28-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #23
aye you
The Origional, The Best

any form of stretching is going to help. I try to do 30mins before i go to work and once i get home. just google martial arts stretching.

If your really keen, get a grappling dummy, like a boxing bag with arms. not the best for practising hold and locks, but is good for practising your movement on an opponent.

Duff, BJJ clubs are a strange beast when it comes to martial arts groups. Other traditional martial arts are very structured in their training, and will split classes up to be able to focus on the different skill levels eg white belts and junior belts in one group and black and senior belts in another. Where as BJJ classes generally throw eveyone into the mix and you could end up rolling with someone with 20 years BJJ experience. This is good for both as it lets you work with someone with alot of experience and for them to work with someone with no real training but more remescent of someone in the street....

This tends to lead to a culture of others not been exactly friendly with you, rather tolerating you until you have been there awhile, remember, they see people come and go all the time. BJJ is not for everyone

Old 28-06-2010, 01:27 PM   #24
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

my cousin has just earned his brown belt in BJJ.. he won amatuer heavyweight oceania division in his first comp. hes a big, fast, strong bloke. came from karate at the age of 4-5, became one of the youngest graded black belts (forget which dan).. and then branched to BJJ, kendo... but seems to love bjj.

myself, i did 2 years of muay thai. really enjoyed it, suited my body type and was great fun, friendly stable, getting in the ring was something else. That club fell apart somewhat, and all the senior people left, so i havent done muay thai for a few years now. im keen to get back into something, and considering BJJ, or just a MMA class that incorps muay thai and BJJ. need to find a good place out my way... all the decent studios are miles away. i was already doing an hour round trip for my last stable and it was on the verge of too far.
AUIIPURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #25
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey mate congrats on the bjj journey. Stick to it as its very rewarding. Ive been doing it for 8years now and only have a purple belt. No gi training is heaps of fun but very realistic. I have had afew amateur boxing bouts as well and combining it with my bjj is a great tool for health and fitness and self defense.

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #26
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well this week I should finally get back into it as I had tonsilitis all week and am finally recovered.
Cant wait to start learning more
Old 17-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #27
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i did 2 days this week and should be back to 3 days a week next week YAY!

we drilled the omoplata and a triangle and a teepee yesterday all from the same position(was with 1 overhook in and the feet hooked in (guess its a butterfly type guard position??)

I need to work on my leg flexibility as I couldn't bring my leg up to go over his shoulder to lock in the arm
but I'm sure it will come with time
Old 17-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #28
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Where is this being held? The other half and I are looking at a move northside, would be great to get back into Jiu Jitsu (and doce pares as well if available). Bit rusty, but always had a ball doing it, found the doce pares helped with just chilling out as well...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #29
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
I'd seriously like to get back into training, but I'll wait till my 2 little daughters are old enough and we can all train together (girls need to know how to defend themselves).
agreed, my daughter has been going 3/4 times a week for just over 8 mths now, she is 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #30
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I goto red dragon martial arts at caboolture

I know of a couple of other bjj gyms closer to the city also. One is at stafford the other is at Kelvin grove from memory