Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 16-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Dunder
Starter Motor

Default WT Fiesta fuel cap temporary solution

Firstly to level expectations here I need to say that my primary concern was not protection from stealing the fuel but more from water/moisture and dust finding their way into the fuel tank. Looking at the lid and the gasket around, it does not give me much of assurance that jet washing or even heavy showers might not push some water and dirt into the tank.

I spent some time researching for a proper fuel cap (lockable or not) but unfortunately couldn't find any for Thai made Fiestas. There are some solutions in USA but received confirmations that their Mexican build Fiestas have different fuel intake so the USA caps wont fit our Fiestas.

So here is a temp solutions after some measurements and few fitting try-outs:

Emergency fuel cap from TRIDON Australia part no. RFC082.

This is a rubber cap with inner diameter of 64mm and it sits perfectly around the filler neck. The cap has a small hole in the middle I presume for venting which in this case I believe is not necessary as the system has its own venting/breading mechanism.
I used rubber based sealant to glue/close this hole so that water, moisture, dust, etc. can not go past the cap. The cap is also relatively easy to remove and re-fit again.
Alright it's not made to last (hence emergency) but it costs $7.29 so getting a new one from time to time shouldn't be a big issue.

Hope this is of help to everyone who share same concerns as myself. This at least can buy us some time until AU aftermarket manufactures come with a proper fuel cap preferably lockable solution.

Dunder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
daz82
In the family since 1996

Default Re: WT Fiesta fuel cap temporary solution

In my opinion there is no need for a cap on these. I have personally seen the Capless filler necks tested. further, they have been out in Europe for years now with no issues. And, even though it wasn't your main concern, they also have an anti theft device fitted in the filler neck to stop would be fuel thieves.
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Dunder
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz82
In my opinion there is no need for a cap on these.
You're probably right here. I would say a lack of personal knowledge how exactly the thing was designed to prevent water and dust from entering and also a warning in the car's manual to avoid spraying water around the fuel lid are making me nervous. Couldn't help myself :o(
Dunder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
daz82
In the family since 1996

All the better for being cautious. Wasn't aware of the warning in the manual.

Because I change cars all the time I rarely read the manual unless there is something new in the car that I have absolutely no idea about!
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
trento
Audiophile

I have had my WS since feb 09 and have never had a problem, also hose behind the filler flap every time I was the car.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post