Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
12slotter

Default Tesla Electric Car

http://www.teslamotors.com/

Would YOU go electric for something like this.............

12slotter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Tesla Electric Car

I spotted a Tesla Roadster in Brisbane a few weeks back.

That is very Jag ish, i like it.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #3
pursuit2359

If money weren't an issue, I'd definitely consider it. There's a good article and video on the Tesla Model S at http://www.wikicars.biz/news.php#!co...article&pno=37

What's interesting is that they're suggesting a price below $75,000. Supply will be very limited (and already sold out until 2014), but when you compare this to the Volt at $60,000, the Tesla surely comes up trumps.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
zilo
BANNED

It will be around $200k in Aus...dunno why...$75k is the US price?

I was offered a second hand roadster for $150 plus ORC last week...LOL

The pictured unit is a 7 seater as well as a sub 6 sec to 100k car with 500k range.......
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
It will be around $200k in Aus...dunno why...$75k is the US price?

I was offered a second hand roadster for $150 plus ORC last week...LOL

The pictured unit is a 7 seater as well as a sub 6 sec to 100k car with 500k range.......
Where are they sticking the other 2 passengers, in the boot?

Cause its definately not a 7 seater. The model X is though.

Its definately a good piece of gear this car, looks great too. But if I had the cash to buy one I wouldn't. Electric engines just don't do it for me.

120-130k in Oz.

4 August 2011
By HAITHAM RAZAGUI
MORE than 50 Australian early-adopters are among the 5000 people world-wide who have already laid down deposits for the all-electric Tesla Model S luxury sedan, ahead of right-hand drive production (and first local deliveries) from mid-2013.

As GoAuto has reported, Tesla Australia’s national marketing manager Jay McCormack has hinted that the Model S will be priced in the region of $120,000 - $130,000 here, a relative bargain compared with the low-volume, Lotus Elise-based Roadster, which costs from around $220,000.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
pursuit2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
120-130k in Oz.

4 August 2011
By HAITHAM RAZAGUI
MORE than 50 Australian early-adopters are among the 5000 people world-wide who have already laid down deposits for the all-electric Tesla Model S luxury sedan, ahead of right-hand drive production (and first local deliveries) from mid-2013.

As GoAuto has reported, Tesla Australia’s national marketing manager Jay McCormack has hinted that the Model S will be priced in the region of $120,000 - $130,000 here, a relative bargain compared with the low-volume, Lotus Elise-based Roadster, which costs from around $220,000.
The source you’ve quoted is from 2011 – this information is outdated. From a later GoAuto article (28/6/2012):
Mr McCormack said the entry-level Model S (priced from $US57,400 before government incentives) could end up being priced close to the $75,375 luxury car tax threshold for fuel-efficient cars, a far cry from the $120,000 previously speculated.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd have one in a second. Pretty fast, decent range, RWD, stunning looks, cheap as chips to run - cant go wrong!. You'd want a huge solar/wind setup to charge the thing though, and I'd still want a big dirty V8 in the garage for weekends... One can only dream.

Quote:
Where are they sticking the other 2 passengers, in the boot?

Cause its definately not a 7 seater. The model X is though.
You were right the frist time - in the boot!

Quote:
How does Model S seat seven people?
Model S seats five adults and two children. Model S features two front seats, a rear bench seat for three adults, and optional rear facing jump seats designed for two children. The jump seats will be similar to those available in some station wagons.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit2359
The source you’ve quoted is from 2011 – this information is outdated. From a later GoAuto article (28/6/2012):
Mr McCormack said the entry-level Model S (priced from $US57,400 before government incentives) could end up being priced close to the $75,375 luxury car tax threshold for fuel-efficient cars, a far cry from the $120,000 previously speculated.
I searched GoAuto and couldn't find a recent article on Tesla. The search function never works properly for me. Couldn't understand why the first article in the search was from 2011.

If they can get the price down that low it will be well done to Tesla. Battery technology costs will continue to drop year after year so prices will continue to tumble on electric vehicles.
Old 26-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
I'd have one in a second. Pretty fast, decent range, RWD, stunning looks, cheap as chips to run - cant go wrong!. You'd want a huge solar/wind setup to charge the thing though, and I'd still want a big dirty V8 in the garage for weekends... One can only dream.

You were right the frist time - in the boot!
You're kidding me. How the hell do they fit under the hatch, or is it for kids no older than 5, or midgets?
Old 26-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome car...with some equally awesome drawbacks.

Range is a funny one. Everyone went mad at Top Gear for draining the battery in a Tesla roadster in no time flat from fully charged while driving it as, well, the performance car it was pretending to be. Is it a performance car, or is it a poser car for tootling steadily down to the coffee shop for a latte in...?

That sedan looks the goods...but oh my god the price Australia is expected to pay for imported cars like that...it happens with all luxury cars. Compare prices of BMW's and Mercs that are built in both left and right hook for various markets in, say, the USA compared to what we pay here...

There's still the awkward fact of "emissions shifting"...the bad stuff isn't coming out of your car...it's now coming out of a power station smokestack somewhere...

I wonder if you could charge it directly "off the grid" with a standard home solar power setup...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
12slotter

Electric cars i still don't know , although with no emissions, wonder how much coal would have to burn to do a complete re-charge? ......when my tyres wear out where does the rubber go
12slotter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and with power bills going up and up(had our first ever $485.00 power bill recently) imagine putting the car on charge every night and your next power bill, it may not be as expensive as petrol, but it`s getting worse all the time.
it`s a nice looking car, i`m still a bit skeptical of these electric cars, usually the range is best case scenario, add aircon, all day long, wipers, heater, headlights, ipod,etc,etc will it still be 500 k`s range? when some one road tests one for a year or two using it like an every day and it comes up roses, i will be a believer .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I'll definitely consider one when my lease runs out on the Liberty

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Awesome car...with some equally awesome drawbacks.

Range is a funny one. Everyone went mad at Top Gear for draining the battery in a Tesla roadster in no time flat from fully charged while driving it as, well, the performance car it was pretending to be. Is it a performance car, or is it a poser car for tootling steadily down to the coffee shop for a latte in...?

That sedan looks the goods...but oh my god the price Australia is expected to pay for imported cars like that...it happens with all luxury cars. Compare prices of BMW's and Mercs that are built in both left and right hook for various markets in, say, the USA compared to what we pay here...

There's still the awkward fact of "emissions shifting"...the bad stuff isn't coming out of your car...it's now coming out of a power station smokestack somewhere...

I wonder if you could charge it directly "off the grid" with a standard home solar power setup...?
I dont see what you couldnt charge it with an off the grid solar setup. As long as it meets the minimum requirements the car needs, it would certainly be a great alternative than 'paying' for a fill up.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
zilo
BANNED

Performance variants get an upgraded 310kW/600Nm electric motor (compared with the standard Signature’s 270kW/440Nm unit), putting the Tesla’s 0-100km/h capability almost into supercar territory at 4.4 seconds (only one-tenth slower than the twin-turbo V8-powered BMW M5).

hmmm...ticks a few boxes?

RWD..............yes
Fast..............yes faster than any Aussie street car ever made....repeatable 4.4 secs
Full sized car...yes
Oil dependent..no, not a HYBRID
Handling.........first class
Affordable.......yes

In Australia, the top-spec Model S Signature Performance is expected to sell for around $130,000.

Hmm...HSV/FPV or Tesla?...let me think about it for one nanosecond...
Old 26-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I dont see what you couldnt charge it with an off the grid solar setup. As long as it meets the minimum requirements the car needs, it would certainly be a great alternative than 'paying' for a fill up.
The gotcha is how long it would take to charge off your solar and how far you can go. It is a bit hard to charge up on solar overnight......

If the range is 300km when you get to 250km you don't just pop into a "servo" for 5 minutes to fill up.

These are urban shopping trollies ideal for young mothers doing school and grocery runs and city commuters but not much else.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

That's true flappy. You would have to schedule your day very well to ensure you time your fill ups and other trips in advance.

There are a lot of logistics to work out to make this viable for a lot of families. But considering the power output it produces, it would be a hell of cheap thrill.

Will there be an alternate Korean equivalent of this technology for a cheaper price I wonder?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 26-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 26-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Performance variants get an upgraded 310kW/600Nm electric motor (compared with the standard Signature’s 270kW/440Nm unit), putting the Tesla’s 0-100km/h capability almost into supercar territory at 4.4 seconds (only one-tenth slower than the twin-turbo V8-powered BMW M5).

hmmm...ticks a few boxes?

RWD..............yes
Fast..............yes faster than any Aussie street car ever made....repeatable 4.4 secs
Full sized car...yes
Oil dependent..no, not a HYBRID
Handling.........first class
Affordable.......yes

In Australia, the top-spec Model S Signature Performance is expected to sell for around $130,000.

Hmm...HSV/FPV or Tesla?...let me think about it for one nanosecond...
Agreed but because it doesn't have a V8 engine and its not made in Australia that'll be enough to close many people's minds on here.
Coal is a non-issue for many countries especially those that generate the vast majority of their electricity from renewable environmentally friendly sources. I'm impressed with the looks, claimed performance and the indicative pricing doesn't seem too outrageous for early adopters.

Don't know if I'd be an early adopter though, (they'll get much cheaper in a few years time) but sure would enjoy discharging a few of those kilowatts in a decent test drive 600 nm's instant torque from zero revs at standstill would be fun

Really can't see the problem with range, whilst acknowledging it can't be all things to all people...but in the city it won't matter, who drives more than 250 km's in the city each day ??? On the open road...so you've got to stop at a Hotel overnight when you've done 500 km's, I cbf'd driving further than that in a day anyway...so the problem with that is what exactly ????
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Agreed but because it doesn't have a V8 engine and its not made in Australia that'll be enough to close many people's minds on here.
Coal is a non-issue for many countries especially those that generate the vast majority of their electricity from renewable environmentally friendly sources. I'm impressed with the looks, claimed performance and the indicative pricing doesn't seem too outrageous for early adopters.

Don't know if I'd be an early adopter though, (they'll get much cheaper in a few years time) but sure would enjoy discharging a few of those kilowatts in a decent test drive 600 nm's instant torque from zero revs at standstill would be fun

Really can't see the problem with range, whilst acknowledging it can't be all things to all people...but in the city it won't matter, who drives more than 250 km's in the city each day ??? On the open road...so you've got to stop at a Hotel overnight when you've done 500 km's, I cbf'd driving further than that in a day anyway...so the problem with that is what exactly ????
you have a point Rodge, but i still think the rated distance is best case scenario, they need to loan a few out for evaluation in different parts of the country with different climate for 12 months, lets see what happens when it`s driven spiritedly for an hour with the aircon running/or heater.............. and not just for a 4.0 second 0 to 60 mph, then a run on the highway.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #20
nstg8a

Looks awesome, I d own it in a flash.

Somewhere like nz certainly makes the emissions shifting argument a moot point to an extent, and even here, IMO your better off having one area polluted with emissions rather than every area...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

In response to the OP question; NO, I would not.

Reason? I enjoy Internal Combustion Engines. And that is good enough.

Any comment beyond that would be inflammatory.
SSD-85 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #22
buggo
[BU66OS]

Yep I'd have have. I reckon most people, including me, would have or at least want one of these in their driveway by the time I'm 35. (20 Now)

And an 'old' 2014 GT would compliment my garage nicely for weekend drives etc.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One. Hundred. Thousand. Dollars. My god...that buys a lot of BMW or Mercedes with a nice economical turbo diesel...

The elephant in the room that no one ever wants to talk about it battery life...any battery, even high tech ones, wear down and hold less charge as time passes. This might not bother the first owner...Toyota flippantly says it's battery packs last "the life of the car", and then go on to say the Prius battery pack will last about seven years.
Sorry, but to me, seven years isn't an "old worthless car". The resale value once a few years get on them will be horrifying...any potential buyer will have to factor in battery replacement at uncertain cost.

Until they can do a minimum of 500km with four or five adults and luggage on board, in summer, with the air con going and maybe headlights on, being driven in a totally uncaring-of-economy way, they're not going to sell in volume to bring down the price. If they're only meant for the rich to drive around feeling smug, what's the point...?

Still a nice car...but...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Another issue is what happens when things go wrong or you need replacement parts. Who can fix it and where can you get parts from?

Can't see that being easy here.
Old 26-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #25
nstg8a

Don't tesla normally use parts from other manufacturers?
Old 26-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Maybe, but how much can they use when the body, chassis and electric motors/batteries are bespoke?

You can only use so much from other manufacturers.
Old 26-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The best thing about electric cars is that you have all the motor's torque and power the moment that bad boy starts spinning.

Unfortunately battery technology needs to improve, I'd give one a whirl though, I do about 110km highway cruising a day, charge it overnight from the wall, could work for me. Though the way electricity prices are going it'll probably be cheaper to just buy petrol/diesel.

At the price though, get real. I'll give electric cars a shot when the prices come down to sane levels.

Not only this but you've got these cars with voltages exceeding 400V DC, who can work on it? This isn't something you should be able to take to Mr John Smith local auto electrics, there needs to be legislation introduced and training, because I can see people dying trying to tinker.

I can see what is going to happen, there is going to be a few dead first year apprentices before training and legislation comes about.

They're training Nissan technicians at my TAFE on their new Nissan Leaf electric car, but not us auto electricians? What about emergency personnel who have to cut open the car?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #28
nstg8a

Quote:
Maybe, but how much can they use when the body, chassis and electric motors/batteries are bespoke?

You can only use so much from other manufacturers.
True, but I guess when your willing to drop so much money on something like this then worrying about parts availability isn't high on the priorities list.

Wonder what insurance would be like. Can't imagine a simple fender bender being a cheap exercise for the insurance company
Old 26-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Should be cheap to fix once out of warranty....

What happens to resale near the end of the battery life?

Over the entire life of the car, it's actually worse for the environment than a conventional car (construction, disposal of, batteries etc)....

Range? Theoretical v real world...

Then there's the infamous top gear tesla test...

The future? Hydrogen.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #30
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The gotcha is how long it would take to charge off your solar and how far you can go. It is a bit hard to charge up on solar overnight......
Actually if I told you to fill up with premium 98 for a quarter of the price overnight would you be keen?
(cause off peak power is 1/4 of the price of daytime peak power)
Quote:
One. Hundred. Thousand. Dollars. My god...that buys a lot of BMW or Mercedes with a nice economical turbo diesel...
$130k? Actually it buys a basic E-class Merc witha comparison of a V8 supercar to a Camry.

Quote:
The elephant in the room that no one ever wants to talk about it battery life...
any battery, even high tech ones, wear down and hold less charge as time passes. This might not bother the first owner...
Toyota flippantly says it's battery packs last "the life of the car", and then go on to say the Prius battery pack will last about seven years.
Battery life is a function of discharge cycles and how deep they are as well as the technology employed.
It is a common mistake to compare electric cars to hybrids.
A hybrid with petrol generator on board, and hence reduced battery capacity and higher discharge cycles, is not an accurate comparison to a Tesla pure electric car.

Quote:
Until they can do a minimum of 500km with four or five adults and luggage on board, in summer, with the air con going and maybe headlights on,
being driven in a totally uncaring-of-economy way, they're not going to sell in volume to bring down the price.
If they're only meant for the rich to drive around feeling smug, what's the point...?
Still a nice car...but...
LOL...is that all?
Plenty of cars with all that passengers/load sipping 20L/100km and more unable to get anywhere near 500km/tank...
Reminds me of when LPG came out...what do you do if the service station has no LPG?
Now they all have it..

I asked the Tesla rep about that range and battery issue...

The electric car industry is still nascient, but soon enough,
they will standardise on an ISO shaped and wired battery pack with a cycles timer to show its remaining useful life,(and hence "fillup" cost)
you will be able to simply swap your exhausted battery at a swap and go facility in less time than filling a V8.
problem solved...any other requests?