Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 26-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Company Christmas Presents

I've been trying to digest my disgust in my employer over the past few days. After taking a wage cut and putting in over 700hrs of unpaid overtime to keep the company afloat this year I got a big fat nothing. To rub salt into the wounds our efforts not only kept the company afloat but made them a HUGE profit in the midst of the GFC. On the last day of work the owners gave us two warm stale six packs between 12 guys and then proceeded to gloat about the huge profit. To top things off my boss tells me to drop my christmas holiday plans at the last minute and work through christmas so he can take a break. : Anyone else out there get anything aside from a kick in the nuts from there employer for christmas? Especially keen to hear from fellow IT workers.

Old 26-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
IngoStang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
I've been trying to digest my disgust in my employer over the past few days. After taking a wage cut and putting in over 700hrs of unpaid overtime to keep the company afloat this year I got a big fat nothing. To rub salt into the wounds our efforts not only kept the company afloat but made them a HUGE profit in the midst of the GFC. On the last day of work the owners gave us two warm stale six packs between 12 guys and then proceeded to gloat about the huge profit. To top things off my boss tells me to drop my christmas holiday plans at the last minute and work through christmas so he can take a break. : Anyone else out there get anything aside from a kick in the nuts from there employer for christmas? Especially keen to hear from fellow IT workers.
Got told I would be getting a Xmas bonus as this year was a good one for us but instead I got a smoked leg ham, atleast my mother was grateful
Old 26-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
MAV50L
Banned

My christmas bonus was being allowed to come back next year.
We didnt even get so much as a Christmas feed off my lot.
Old 26-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Huge Xmas Party with free drinks, fire works and presents for the kids, 7k pay increase. Can't complain.
Old 26-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^get me a job. Expert .NET software developer for hire. I think I'll tell my boss to jam it when he gets back. We were also lead to beleive we were getting a bonus this year as an inducement to go the extra mile. There is an employee profit share arrangement that is talked about in very vague terms too. No sign of that being shared out. I think its when the bosses decide their pockets are full enough they'll throw some loose change to the workers.
Old 26-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
BA Baracus
xls

Three Christmas parties in last two weeks, full company, department and team. Bottle of decent champagne and individual gifts (got a hip flask). Excellent for morale. Last company I worked for slowly dwindled away over the years from Christmas party, carton of beer, thanks and a handshake to nothing at all.
Old 26-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bpxrgt your boss wont understand your disgust he will think you should be happy as the company has made a profit start looking elsewhere
Old 26-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Ah, yes. Work for one of the largest IT companies in the world. Was asked to take a 15% pay cut (worldwide was forced, our system forces an employer to give the employee an option) which I declined. I earned $20k-pa more 10 years ago than I do today doing a lot more complex work on sites paying a lot more dollars.

If I wanted a Christmas Party (in the face of record profits by said company) I had to pay for it. I declined. I received a 0.2% bonus for my hard work. I think I received it in my last pay, but who'd notice...?

IT is a cruel industry. Lack skills but won't pay for existing skills. Could go alone but I don't have that level of motivation to make a living out of it. On call on Christmas day, right now and on NYE. At least I have a job...
Old 27-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not in IT but retail. As a manager we get in Sept a bonus so its not christmas but its close. Recieived an 8k bonus and a 3k payrise
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 27-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Whatever happened to people believing that their wages every week was recompense for their efforts.
Old 27-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
FALCONXTV8
JUST CRUIZEN

I guess i was one of the lucky ones ,i received about $800 in bonuses and a backpack.Can't complain about that!

2012 KIA OPTIMA PLATINUM for the wife
Old 27-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Whatever happened to people believing that their wages every week was recompense for their efforts.
Hallelujah!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 128343688002656250hallelujahpra.jpg (31.1 KB, 81 views)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 27-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONXTV8
I guess i was one of the lucky ones ,i received about $800 in bonuses and a backpack.Can't complain about that!

i got a backpack......... but didnt find any $$$$$.
we did get $20 i think it was for each employee to go towards dinner at our social club christmas party a few weeks ago.

2 years ago everyone got an extra days holiday to be taken by easter time.
last year only the ones taking holidays over christmas got the extra day.
this year it wasn`t mentioned.

`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 27-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Whaterever happened to a fair days work for a fair days pay. I slogged my guts out this year for these guys being strung along only to be screwed over. I stopped counting overtime in August when it was over 700hrs, all of it donated for free. That is over $45,000 of free labour they extracted from me alone. I don't even get a bottle of wine or a thankyou. I take it you're the same type of jack a$$ who thinks slavery is alright. We'll see what happens to his business when nobody is prepared to put in the effort next year, or worse walks out.
Old 27-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Let's keep this civil please.

My bosses gave me a 12 month subscription to Wheels Magazine - maybe not much in the eyes of some but it is the gesture and the appreciation of a job well done that comes with it that makes the difference to me.
Old 28-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #16
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Whaterever happened to a fair days work for a fair days pay. I slogged my guts out this year for these guys being strung along only to be screwed over. I stopped counting overtime in August when it was over 700hrs, all of it donated for free. That is over $45,000 of free labour they extracted from me alone. I don't even get a bottle of wine or a thankyou. I take it you're the same type of jack a$$ who thinks slavery is alright. We'll see what happens to his business when nobody is prepared to put in the effort next year, or worse walks out.
Tis one of the joys of the business world that we all live in. BPXR6T, you know absolutely not a thing about me, nor have the common sense to take a close look at the poor lifechoices you make.
Slavery would mean that you are 'owned' by a master, and subject to providing servitude(compulsory service). If you prepared to put in the long long hours for your employer and choose not to pursue payment for it, then that is YOUR problem, NOONE elses) Time to step down off your soapbox, and start feeling sorry for yourself elsewhere.
BTW - I am a completely DIFFERENT class of jack a$$. As one of the directors here on AFF, I get to choose when to say enough is enough.(I wonder how much the time & effort the admin/mod team here on AFF is worth is $$$$ terms???)
Closed Thread