Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
dalez84
Starter Motor

Default Xr5 cleaning???

Just a couple of maintenance questions. The I have an zr5 turbo. Blue with white stripes. I am wondering what sort of polish I should use to get rid of the swirls it had when I got it brand new... Probably because dealers think washing a car is hosing it off and a quick chamois. Also, is there a tyre shine that doesn't stick to wheels? The I used armor all tyre shine and as soon as you drive it brake dust is all over the place!

dalez84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
dalez84
Starter Motor

Default Re: Xr5 cleaning???

The reason why I am asking is I don't want to damage the stripes...
Old 24-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
casabonka
You can call me Chris

with the tyres I only ever use so easy. works perfect and is long lasting. their glass cleaner seems to work well too.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalez84
The reason why I am asking is I don't want to damage the stripes...
You should be pretty safe to use any good quality polish on it ( Meguiars etc...). Try to avoid using anything with abrasives on the stripes as that may take out the colour but normal wax polishes without cut should be fine

I have used the Export brand tyre shine (Supercheap, Go Lo, The Reject Shop and similar stores stock it) I find that it doesn't leave the oily residue like some of the more expensive wet look tyre blacks, sometimes you actually can get more for less $

Last edited by Russ; 24-10-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

If you're worried about the stripes, tape them up with some low tack masking tape....Bunnings sell the 'Norton' brand for less than $2 per roll.

The whole point of tyre shine is to stick to the tyre....otherwise it would sling off straight away and make a mess on the paintwork...not exactly sure what you're getting at...

I also think the Australian Export Tyre Shine aerosol is good value for money for what you get from it....it lasts up to a week per application, gives a nice high gloss for those that like that look and you can get several applications from a can....when they have the big sales @ Supercheap Auto it's usually 4 or 5 for $10-11...you will struggle to get better value from a DIY perspective.

I highly recommend having a read of this link to help give yourself a better understanding of the detailing process:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Cycle-Updated!

To remove swirls, you will need to first decontaminate the paint to ensure a clean working surface. Then you'll need to use an abrasive polish to remove the micron or so of paint that contains the swirls. Once this is done you mau need to also use a lighter 'finishing' polish to remove any marring left over from the aggressive 'cutting' polish.

When you are happy with the condition of the paintwork, you can apply your favourite wax/sealant to protect the paint and ensure it stays in pristine condition for longer!! Waxes and sealants also give the paint that lovely slick feel and assists with helping water to bead up and sheet off the surface.
Old 26-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
dalez84
Starter Motor

The tyre shine sticks to the mags and brake dust then sticks to the mags and looks like ****! What if the stripes have swirls as well?
Old 26-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Try applying the tyre shine to an applicator or rag, and then applying that to the tyre. Allow it time to dry for aroun 10 mins....it shouldn't streak onto the mags if you're careful.

If the stripes have swirls - a VERY light polish such as Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner would probably do the trick...you want to be very careful as if you discolour the stripes, then there's no fixing it...
Old 26-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
ConradP

quick question dave, I'm planning on going on the vic charity cruise in december, how far in advance would i need to book with you to get my car done, I don't think i'll need a heavy job, it's reasonably tidy, few scratches here and there but that's about it, i'm after just a nice clean cut polish outside inside all tidy'd and the engine bay as well.
Old 26-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

At the moment the detailing is my second job so usually only weekends that I have available - I work full time as well....have a couple of jobs booked in for November already....nothing yet in December...maybe just let me know what date you're looking at and I can hold it for you?? Just send me a PM!
Old 27-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Benjamin Smith

Wish i got the paint protection after i got the car, i got swirl marks on mine but i have the paint protection over the top
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Meguiars Channel Youtube!
Check these out click the uploads tab ontop and browse thru videos awesome hints and these products are available in Australian Region.

Remove Swirls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXGvd2sW0rk
Waxing your Car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7***_lhL-E[swear filter screw's link up| .B.7.F.K.N._.l.h.L.-.E |<remove dot's]
Tyre shine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TLvHcJgsHE

Last edited by Venomous1; 27-10-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Venomous1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Smith
Wish i got the paint protection after i got the car, i got swirl marks on mine but i have the paint protection over the top
'Paint Protection' is a rip. Just look after the paint and keep it protected with a good coat of wax. If unsure how to go about it, or if you don't have the time, get a professional to do it for you. Professional detailers (read NOT the guys at the carwash in the shopping centre) will also be able to safely remove the swirl marks for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1
Meguiars Channel Youtube!
Check these out click the uploads tab ontop and browse thru videos awesome hints and these products are available in Australian Region.

Remove Swirls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXGvd2sW0rk
Waxing your Car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7***_lhL-E[swear filter screw's link up| .B.7.F.K.N._.l.h.L.-.E |<remove dot's]
Tyre shine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TLvHcJgsHE
As above, a more appropriate starting point for those looking for information is this thread: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Cycle-Updated

It contains links to videos covering each step of the detailing process.