Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
dohzer
Starter Motor

Default Mounting slimline number plates

I've got some custom, six-character, Victoria, slimline number plates I want to transfer onto my my 2006 Focus. The front has four holes drilled into the metalwork where a standard size plate is attached in four corners with self tapping screws. The rear has two bolts screwed through the plate into the 'standard' Focus mounting holes.

Are there many options for mounting which don't involve drilling through the plates?

I can mount the front plate in the two top holes, but then I'd probably need to cover the bottom holes since they would be visible.
I'm not too sure what to do about the rear since none of the plate's holes line up with the mounting holes. Are there adapters for this kind of situation (i.e. plate screws to adaptor bracket, bracket screws to standard mount on Focus)? Any recommendations?

dohzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mounting slimline number plates

my 06 focus came with these adapters that allow you to screw into the stadard fixing holes on the car & then you screw the number plate on to the plasic adapter. This is the only pic I have because I took the plate off for a track day

Im not sure where you can get them though but there out there

Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Google secure a plate, IIRC that's what they are called. I have them on my focus
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
irs

Attach a piece of timber, plywood or similar, cut to the size of the plates to the vehicle. Then screw the plates to the plywood. This is what I have done with the plates on my 2010 TDCI Focus.Works well.
irs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
dohzer
Starter Motor

This story just keeps getting worse and worse. :(

OK... so I picked up some brackets from a store, and they look like they will work.

Now the bad news: I couldn't remove one of the rear plate's screws from the mounting hole. It just wouldn't budge. I stripped the Phillips-head, and after trying to remove it with pliers, a bit of WD40, and even cutting a slot across the screw with my Dremel to fit a flathead screwdriver, the insert is now rotating freely from the bodywork where it is mounted.

I'm not going to get the screw out, and a new insert will be required. Where's the best place to get this done? A panel beater? General mechanic? Dealership?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
dohzer
Starter Motor

Finally, I have had some success.

I removed the screw by removing the interior wall on the boot door (removing the screws/plugs to do this was yet another hassle). This gave (some) access to the rear of the plate screw socket.
After trying for about half an hour to remove the screw with a mate using pliers to grip from the inside, we finally found some vice grips which allowed us to get just enough hold on it so I could unscrew it.

I don't know how I'll get the screw off in the future if I need to, but at least there is a plate holder mounted to the car now:

Old 04-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good to hear you had a win. where did you end up getting it from??
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
dohzer
Starter Motor

The plate holders were about $12 each. Similar to these: http://www.lakinplates.com.au/index....roducts_id=421

The plate covers I got were about $35 for a pack of two. http://www.kingpinmotor.com.au/prestige.htm

Both were Kingpin brand, and I got them from Autobarn (which was just the first car accessory store I came across when driving home from work on Friday ).