Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Ford Dealerships Innovating, Transforming

Ford Dealerships Innovating, Transforming to Make Car Buying and Servicing Easier, More Affordable and Fun

Ford is reshaping its product line-up by refreshing all models by 2017 and, at the same time, creating “dealerships of the future” by blending the best of brick-and-mortar retailing with web-based tools to make car buying and servicing easier

A handful of dealership in Melbourne and Sydney have nearly completed the first pilots of the program, with 40 dealers planned to be on-line by the end of 2014 and nearly all dealerships to be transformed by the end of 2015

Dealership staff will use new technologies as part of this transformation, including sales experts using iPads to help customers surf through the shopping experience with mobile apps to identify the best car for their needs compared to the competition

Melbourne, September 5, 2014 – Ford dealerships are transforming their dealership to make it easier for customers to buy and service vehicles as Ford continues to launch a record number of new vehicles.
Customers will experience the transformations almost instantly when they enter dealerships, which will now employ non-sales-oriented concierges to welcome customers and ask how they want to engage with the sales staff. This “permission-based” sales process continues throughout the experience.

A key highlight for customers is their own personalised reveal after their purchase. Just as has been done for decades at motor shows, the staff reveals the car at the centre of the store by pulling off a silk sheet off to create selfie moments customers can share instantly on their social channels.
However, the core of the transformation is that dealerships are evolving with modern customer trends. For example, sales and service experts blend modern technologies such as iPad-based shopping tools, SYNC-based product information during test drives and convenient on-line scheduling to make the experience easier and more transparent.

“Ford’s new vehicles are widely being credited for competing with the best products in the world,” said Bob Graziano, Ford of Australia President and CEO. “We now are taking a similar approach to innovating and transforming our dealerships to make it easier to buy and service these great vehicles.”
A handful of dealers in Melbourne and Sydney have nearly completed the technological reshaping of sales and service departments to go along with Ford’s aggressive approach to increase customer satisfaction in all aspects of the dealership experience.
By the end of the year, nearly 40 dealers across the country will have transformed their stores with the majority of Ford’s 200 dealerships completing the work by the end of 2015.

Satisfaction improving
Ford already has put in place a number of customer-service initiatives – including a comprehensive after-sales package and guaranteed loaner vehicles in the case of overnight warranty work – which has led to a 6 point increase in sales satisfaction and an 8 point rise in service satisfaction over the last 12 months.

The new initiatives are intended to place Ford dealers among the top stores in the country in terms of customer satisfaction. To do this, Ford is introducing cutting edge technology to make car-buying and servicing easier while building on the transparency of Ford’s leading capped price service program that was recently expanded to seven years and 135,000 kilometres.

Customers will first notice the changes when they are greeted by a dedicated dealership concierge, right at the front door. Public perception of dealerships is one of sales-driven service from start to finish, but Ford are working to change that perception. The concierge greets new customers, welcomes them to the lounge area and prepares refreshments – all as a priority before a customer connects with a sales person.
When it comes to talking models, other changes that customers will see are sales people engaging with them using an iPad with key product, inventory and pricing information to make the discussion more seamless. The test drive also takes on a higher-tech feel with an Australian-first feature called the Smart Drive USB.
In real time during the test drive, potential car buyers can receive an explanation of the car features via the SYNC voice control system. Drivers simply ask SYNC about a particular feature to have the car talk to the driver about how the technology works.
“Innovation is at the forefront of design in all of our vehicles, so we are investing in technology on the dealership floor to give customers the most personalised, transparent experience possible,” said Graeme Whickman, vice president, Marketing, Sales and Service for Ford of Australia. “While we are re-inventing the dealership experience, many customers will actually find it very familiar to the technology they use every day or even from online shopping.”

Personalising your car
Building on this interactive approach, new apps used by the sales team allow customers to input their personal driver preferences and needs. From preferred body style, to number of passengers, tech savvy or tech novice? The app can them help the salesperson identify recommended vehicles based on the individual needs – on the spot.

Customers ordering vehicles from the factory can follow the car-buying journey with ‘keep me informed’ emails, which will allow them to track their new car from when the first parts are put together, to the car arriving for collection at their chosen dealership.
To add a personal touch, a website dedicated to personalising their car will make sure the new Ford is ready-to-go on arrival. From tuning the radio stations to pre-storing their Sat-Nav addresses and adjusting the cabin temperature, the new service will ensure the car is personalised for the driver before they even meet for the first time.
“By bringing technology like SmartDrive USB to our customers, we’re empowering them to make this important financial decision with all the tools they need to find the ideal vehicle for their lifestyle and needs as a driver”, said Whickman.
Ford also is adding a twist to the delivery process by staging personalised reveals where customers can pull silk sheets of their new vehicles and pose for selfies.

Comprehensive service
- On-line service scheduling (ability to book your appointment on-line, whenever it suits you);

- Automated reminders via email or SMS to let you know when your appointment is coming up and keep you informed of the status of your vehicle on the day of repair.

- An interactive service reception where the customer is greeted by a Service Advisor equipped with an iPad, and together they review the work to be carried out, the condition of the vehicle, and capture any other concerns or work the customer would like carried out. The Advisor can use the iPad to log any customer requirements or concerns, take photos or record noises, and then the customer signs the iPad to authorize the work. The iPad then generates an email which goes straight to the customer and includes the signed Estimate and any photos of the vehicle.

- A vehicle report card, provided free with each service, keeps you up to date with the condition of key maintenance items like brakes, tyres and the vehicle’s battery, and provides transparency on cost and required repairs.

This builds on Ford’s expansion of its myFord Capped Price Servicing program and added several new customer-focused features.
The company’s myFord Capped Price Servicing program has now been extended up to seven years and 135,000 km, whichever occurs first. This is up from six years and 105,000 km. The service also was extended to include brake pad replacements. The Capped Price Brake program provides a maximum rate for brake pad replacement.

Ford customers also can take advantage of Ford’s new Auto Club Program at participating dealers. Ford has partnered with each State’s auto clubs, the RACV, RACT, RACQ, AANT, RAA, NRMA and RAC, to provide this service. As part of the Auto Club Program, customers receiving a Capped Price Service will receive 12-months’ free State Auto Club Membership in their State (excluding FPV and Transit Custom).
“The expansion of our comprehensive service package addition makes it easier and more affordable to service their vehicles with Ford dealers,” said Whickman. “We have seen a significant increase in retaining customers after introducing our myFord capped price servicing program and expect to build on that success by expanding the program.

The level of service retention – those customers returning to Ford dealers – increased by 13,000 in 2013, as a direct result of the myFord Capped Price Servicing program. myFord Capped Price Servicing is available on all Ford vehicles built from 2007.

Source: Ford Media

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Re: Ford Dealerships Innovating, Transforming

I suppose - better late than never.

Though it may be too late for my family, Ford & one of it's dealerships burnt several bridges. Starting with my new Territory purchase at the dealership, and a broken promise from Ford CC, finishing with a missed sale on a Focus Titanium.

I do wish them all the luck in implementing a new and fantastic customer experience.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Taily

Interesting this comes up now. Out of the blue I recieved a phone call from FOA Melbourne yesterday, asking if we were still happy with our XR50T, the current km and what issues we'd had during servicing, asking if our servicing up to date or issues with the car we were experiencing now. Other questions were why we had moved servicing dealers (we moved) so they must be going through my current dealer with this now.

The whole thing was totally out of the blue. The person rang off with contact details and that they had been working through their long term repeat customers and looking for feedback. The cynical side of me believes that Power Ford have given them my number as a "satisfied" customer seeing as though I've popped a grand deposit on an new XR8.

Guess something is happening, the big question is: What difference will it actually make? Hopefully a good one as there are a great number of people out there that have vowed "never again".
Taily is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like they're just gonna buy some iPads!!!

Restaurants have been doing that for years with the menus.!!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Lol....

The first thing they need to do is sack Customer Relations. Those clowns still have no idea on how to speak or liaise with a customer.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I dunno about Customer Relations being that bad. It only took one phone call and my warranty issue was sorted out with an apology. They even got the dealer to ring me back to organise a time for the car to be fixed at their expense.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6 View Post
I dunno about Customer Relations being that bad. It only took one phone call and my warranty issue was sorted out with an apology. They even got the dealer to ring me back to organise a time for the car to be fixed at their expense.
That's the new - "Ford Dealerships Innovating, Transforming".

Prior experience has been very poor, for some. Search this forum and you'll find quite a few. The experience is more noticeable after visiting different brand dealerships; my experience with Honda & Holden have been very pleasing, whereas I've had mixed results with Ford dealerships.

I suppose that the old saying is very true - bad new travels faster than good.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better late than never.
Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

our local dealer has picked up the franchise for Greenwood mowers.

hows that for out of the box transformation?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Collecting the feedback is fantastic. Creating a great customer experience in buying a car is fantastic too.

The test is what does Ford do with the feedback collected from customers and what they do with the dealer principals who think all of this customer stuff is a **** and basically ignore it.

The test will be if we see churn in the dealer network as Ford squeeze out the deadwood.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got to laugh, people have been whinging on here for years about bad Ford customer service (not that I've ever had one problem with Ford's customer services) & now finally Ford are looking to make so pretty big changes (for the better) & all people can do is still whinge!!

Welcome done Ford.. I look forward to seeing the new changes when I'm ready to buy my next new car!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
our local dealer has picked up the franchise for Greenwood mowers.

hows that for out of the box transformation?
My local dealer has just added a Hyundai franchise, I asked how it was going thinking they'd sell very few, but he reckons they're selling heaps, the only ford thats selling close to good numbers is the Ranger.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Didnt Ford try something similar not to long ago but it was the dealerships themselves that had to pick up the tab which in some cases sent them broke?

I think its a great idea but they need to keep on top of the dealerships and make sure the lazy ways are not slowly introduced. My local service dept had a makeover a couple of years ago and the staff were a lot easier to deal with. I had a warranty concern this month though and they did their up most to make life difficult. I insisted that the service rep make the phone call to Ford in front of me after several fob off attempts. It was clear from the phone call there were no issues at Fords end and the ball was rolling 20seconds later.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #14
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Didnt Ford try something similar not to long ago but it was the dealerships themselves that had to pick up the tab which in some cases sent them broke?
Yup. That was called Brand @ retail. It sent quite a few belly up. There are alot of Ford dealers that are struggling right now. The only car that sells well is Ranger. Focus will hurt dearly in time to come with nearly 3000 transmission warranty claims per month!. Good on Ford for trying i suppose. Hopefully they don't go into this halved cocked like they did with RJV and brand @ retail.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my local ford dealer is big national owned deal with multi francise. after the got rid of all the smaller players 15 years ago.

if you go to there web sight you get a great deal on Nissan hyundia or Renault

still have a family dealer at dungog that knows their customers--for now.
don't know if they sell much.

D-Max arrived Thursday to replace the ranger. no worries so far.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #16
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

Picked up a new Territory last Saturday , got home found a it had a real issue , rang dealer , explained problem emailed pics, dealer says 'Sir we shall call you first thing Monday to have this looked at ",Sir waits all day , new car sales manager rings at exactly 4.59 pm Monday evening .Yep they really cared about the customer that had just spent nearly $50k with them.
I was in sales and parts with Ford over 20 years ago , take it from me nothing has changed at all. They get your money and thats all that matters.
If it wasnt for the few devoted Ford Employees i know i dont know how they survive , Dinosaurs have been extinct for a long time.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #17
nstg8a

The ford dealership in Moorooka has certainly transformed, first it's been empty for months with a big 'we've moved while we renovate' sign hanging out the front, but no sign of any work being done, no tradies vehicles, nothing.

Went past there today and it's half full of cheapie under 5k cars....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Focus will hurt dearly in time to come with nearly 3000 transmission warranty claims per month
Interesting. Wasn't aware of that.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #19
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Ford can change their showrooms and throw all of the technology into them that they like. However, it won’t change anything unless they do the basics right - like among other things;

• Follow up ALL customers – this includes all customers - before, during and after the sales process.

• Service advisors to get rid of the line completely out of their vocabulary, “IT IS WITHIN ACCEPTABLE TOLERANCES/SPECIFICATIONS.”

• Ensure product quality. They need to fix problems at the development stage and/or assembly line instead of allowing cars to be sent out and hope that it does not break during the warranty period, for example, the rear diff bushes in the Falcon or as someone has alluded to earlier, the auto gearbox in the Focus. I am not saying that unavoidable problems arise from time to time but after 12 years of diff bushes splitting you would think that Ford would have re-engineered the diff housing and/or bushes by now.

• Customer relations to not be the toothless tiger that they are. They need to have some sort of authority to be able to take control of things for the customer when no other person will.

There are many others but this post is long enough as it is.

Don’t get me wrong, I can see these changes that Ford are implementing setting the benchmarks within car sales/servicing industry. However, people will soon forget that selfie that they took at the time of delivery when their car has a rattle in the rear and all the service advisor can say is, “They all do that.”
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2014, 01:07 AM   #20
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Hahahahahahahah. Hahahahahahahaah biggest chuckle I've had in ages. Too little too late.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:29 AM   #21
hedgehobb

The only way they could make it 'fun' is if I get blown by the ming molly.
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #22
LooLoo18

Will be taking my XR6 50TH in for a service next week or 2 at a new local service only dealer that just popped up so I will find out 1st hand what the innovating experience is like

Will also let slip Im looking to buy a new car in the next cpl months
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #23
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hard to forget Ford CRC telling me I'd 'modified the car' with a longer bolt so the seat trim would stop falling off. Still works and holds firm 12 months later.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #24
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
I got to laugh, people have been whinging on here for years about bad Ford customer service (not that I've ever had one problem with Ford's customer services) & now finally Ford are looking to make so pretty big changes (for the better) & all people can do is still whinge!!

Welcome done Ford.. I look forward to seeing the new changes when I'm ready to buy my next new car!!
Ever heard the phrase “once bitten twice shy”.

I can totally understand why some people are hesitant about this new endeavour Ford are trying, for one it shouldn’t be something a company need’s to promote, they should excel at customer service from day one.

For a company to even promote or publicise they are trying to improve CRS say’s to me they are aware of their public image mainly being not a very good one at that, well it should have been the focus of their concern’s from day dot.

people are a fickle specie and alway’s want to be treated with the upmost respect, and well Ford has a brand image problem in this country and as some will say it’s a little to late.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #25
nstg8a

I will never use a ford workshop after seeing how they treated my uncle and his ba when it's battery died.

They told him it required a special battery that cost $400, even pulled out his battery to show him it's shaped to fit the tray.

My uncle not being mechanically minded believed them and paid it, it wasn't until he told me about it and I showed him it's just an ordinary battery that pulls out of the vented casing.

Absolute ripoff mongrels. That's how they treat a repeat customer who has always bought his cars from the same dealer.

Now he's got a fg xr6 that he bought from a Holden dealer ironically and he's blown away in the difference in service. He's always been a ford man but I reckon his next car will be a Holden.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #26
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
Yup. That was called Brand @ retail. It sent quite a few belly up. There are alot of Ford dealers that are struggling right now. The only car that sells well is Ranger. Focus will hurt dearly in time to come with nearly 3000 transmission warranty claims per month!. Good on Ford for trying i suppose. Hopefully they don't go into this halved cocked like they did with RJV and brand @ retail.
What is the issue with Focus?
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
What is the issue with Focus?
"Powershift" box.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #28
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We can all be cynics of this program from Ford or we can all be wildly optimistic too. The proof will be in the pudding. For me there are three dealers I can think of that under such a program should at some point, cease to have a franchise. They each have long track records of poor customer service and reputations for such in the local community.

If they are still trading under their current dealer principals in a couple of years from now, then I have my answer. Ford weren't serious and/or failed to turn around the all powerful dealer lobby. Time will tell.

Personally I think Ford is best to wind up Ford Australia as an entity at the same time as they close the factory. Then setup a new entity and invite dealers to apply. Put them under much higher standards for compliance and give clear rights for Ford to spot check their dealerships for compliance and undertake direct supervision and training of dealer staff if required. They sign up or walk away as they choose.

Ford might well loose quite a few dealers, but I think they are better off taking a hit now to pay them out and taking the long term view they need to turn around the brand in Australia and they can't do that without a proper level of control and influence over the dealerships. They have been a power to themselves for far too long.

In fairness to dealers, I also think the new Ford entity in Australia would also have to lift its game. For one off loading cars with known engineering faults into the channel has to stop. If a car has a design flaw, fix it at the factory or stop production/importation until you do. Don't leave it for the new customer and the dealer to patch up the mess one car at a time. Also recalls need to happen from time to time and its time the accountants at Ford who stop this happening, were pulled into line on this. When a car needs a new part under warranty, they get the priority, not the production line. Build up stocks of common warranty parts or be prepared to change the mix of cars or production rate so parts are available. Goodwill has a cost and that's what you pay. Finally pay decent hours for the warranty work dealers do, so they can do the job right first time and keep the customer happy.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 08-09-2014 at 11:54 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #29
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
"Powershift" box.
Thanks for heads up - was potentially looking at a Focus and it would be auto as my left knee (osteo arthritis) struggles with a manual as a daily.

I was keen as it isnt a CVT but seems all may not be well.

Have to look into it.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #30
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ok, so they are going to downsize their sales team and make you wait for the only salesman on site while the Ming mole makes you a coffee.

They will do away with brochures, so you cant take it home and have it on hand to show your mates what your getting.

Then they'll back your new car into the showroom for a few seconds while you get in and **** off.

Nice work.

Mind you, when I detailed for Toyota a decade ago and we delivered 10 cars a day I would quite often leave the pre delivered vehicle in the showroom for the customer.
Who'd have thought I was an innovator.

Its good that they are making an effort, but don't try and pass it off as innovating when all your doing is catching up.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: