Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Default Fiesta to... ?

Hidey ho everyone

its getting time to upgrade from the Fez to something a little larger with more cargo / passenger capacity.

Work life is changing which means that I spend more time going long distance and will need to carry more stuff than comfortably fits in my Fez. Aside from that, I need to be able to haul things around for my little princess (toys, bikes other stuff).

So... here's the poll to get your ideas on which way to go. I anticipate updating within the next 3 months.

Some considerations.... fuel economy, service / maintenance costs, size, fun factor, reliability, comfort, ease of driving... (not necessarily in the order) and whatever else you think is important to consider. Budget is sub $30k which means that some options may be second hand instead of new - no big deal. Build, drive, feel etc must be at least as good as the Fez.

Would be great to have your opinions on the options plus anything I haven't thought of

cheers!

Ford Focus Zetec
Mazda 3 SP23 / Mazda 6
Aud A3 / A4
Subaru Liberty
Other...?

Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Albeit old models, but I own an LR Focus Zetec and an Audi A4. The Audi engine is sensational, but you''ll fit far more into the Focus
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Fiesta to....?

Well if you're looking for a fairly similar package to the fiesta.. Just a little bigger i would consider a nice condition second hand Sportivo Corolla.

Larger interior/boot space. Bigger engine with loads more power. Still N/A so it wont chew too much fuel.
I dont doubt there would TONS of bike racks available for the corolla.

I would definately consider it.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

only problem i believe with the Sportivo as others do is the To get the Best of performance/power out of it you need to hit HIGH revs. Thats when it comes alive. just like the ST170. now dont get me wrong its a GREAT car. but i think thats its downfall....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Albeit old models, but I own an LR Focus Zetec and an Audi A4. The Audi engine is sensational, but you''ll fit far more into the Focus
I can't wait to get into a nice A4... I've been toying with the idea of models around 2000. My ex-boss had a 2.4 V6 with 17s. Just superb! But, I am aware first hand of the dangers of second hand cars, especially European cars. S4 or RS4 would be fantastic all the same
Old 17-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #6
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Well if you're looking for a fairly similar package to the fiesta.. Just a little bigger i would consider a nice condition second hand Sportivo Corolla.

Larger interior/boot space. Bigger engine with loads more power. Still N/A so it wont chew too much fuel.
I dont doubt there would TONS of bike racks available for the corolla.

I would definately consider it.
Thanks Mitch

I just can't stand the Corolla - I just find it bland.. interior, feel... the whole lot.

Maybe the Sportivo is better than the base models? As per what Photn metioned, I'm not a fan of revving the guts out of the engine to get some fun happening
Old 17-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als_Zetec
Thanks Mitch

I just can't stand the Corolla - I just find it bland.. interior, feel... the whole lot.

Maybe the Sportivo is better than the base models? As per what Photn metioned, I'm not a fan of revving the guts out of the engine to get some fun happening
The interior is just as bad as the rest of the Corolla range. The engine is pretty much the Sportivo's only plus. And its not suited to the car. It belongs in cars like the Elise.

A good option is the MkIV Golf GTI. The MkIV didn't have all this electronic mumbo jumbo the MkV has, it wasn't void of all feel. It was a decent drive. Quality is the VW usual, world benchmark, and the 1.8T is a very moddable engine...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 02:29 AM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
A good option is the MkIV Golf GTI. The MkIV didn't have all this electronic mumbo jumbo the MkV has, it wasn't void of all feel. It was a decent drive. Quality is the VW usual, world benchmark, and the 1.8T is a very moddable engine...
What are you smoking? The MK5 GTI is a superb machine. I commend VW for having a car that can punt around the suburbs, yet be a joy to drive out on the open roads.

Also, the Mk4 GTI wasn't the best in class, and neither was quality THAT great. Girl at work has one sitting on 65,000kms... after about 3 clutch failures and a few electronic gizmos going wrong. Quality?... look for an A3 1.8T if quality is what you're after.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
What are you smoking? The MK5 GTI is a superb machine. I commend VW for having a car that can punt around the suburbs, yet be a joy to drive out on the open roads.

Also, the Mk4 GTI wasn't the best in class, and neither was quality THAT great. Girl at work has one sitting on 65,000kms... after about 3 clutch failures and a few electronic gizmos going wrong. Quality?... look for an A3 1.8T if quality is what you're after.
Uh, when did I mention the MkV GTI? I haven't driven one, but the 2.0 FSI is a boring horror to drive. The MkV Golf vs MkIV Golf in general, the MkV's all feature the electro-mechanical powersteering whereas the MkIV have a good old steering wheel connected to the wheels setup.

And are you serious? You're telling me, that instead of buying a Golf GTI, you buy EXACTLY THE SAME CAR with a different body on it for quality? Sometimes I wonder if you have a clue what you babble on about or if you just read it somewhere and thought "mmm, this must be correct." Clutch failures? I wonder how she drives....

:
Old 18-01-2007, 01:20 AM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
You're telling me, that instead of buying a Golf GTI, you buy EXACTLY THE SAME CAR with a different body on it for quality?

Did I say that?

I've driven (and been passenger in...) a Mk4 2.0L 'Sport' numerous times. Um, connected steering and a spirited drive? Definitely not.

The Mk5 is a much more reliable, fun to drive and feature packed car then the Mk4 could ever be. The Mk4 GTI is evidence of that... it was a pathetic attempt by VW to create a 'hot hatch'. Glad that era is over and welcome to the New GTI - a benchmark for many modern hot hatches. Proof is in the driving...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 18-01-2007, 01:22 AM   #11
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04

Did I say that?
Yes.

Audi A3 1.8T and VW Golf GTI MkIV = identical aside from body panels and interior bits. They use the same materials, the same chassis, suspension, engine, gearbox and, well everything else. And come in the same exact tune. The only difference is one has an Audi badge and some more toys to play with and costs more. The quality, like the rest of the vehicle, is identical.

:
Old 18-01-2007, 01:25 AM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Yes.

Audi A3 1.8T and VW Golf GTI MkIV = identical aside from body panels and interior bits. They use the same materials, the same chassis, suspension, engine, gearbox and, well everything else. And come in the same exact tune. The only difference is one has an Audi badge and some more toys to play with and costs more. The quality, like the rest of the vehicle, is identical.
Sorry, should've mentioned that the when I was refering to getting an Audi A3 1.8T, it isn't that much more to pay, and as you said - it's better quality.

Go look at Used Audi prices... resale has always been Audi's downfall... so you could pick up a used 1.8T for a similar price to a Mk4 GTI.

Old 18-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #13
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Fiesta to....

I would have to agree about the corolla being a little bland. I can also certainly appreciate that it isnt you're cup of tea to rev the guts out of a car to get the best out of it.

Thats where the 1.8t in the Volkswagen Audi Group comes in.

My Polo GTI uses the 1.8t in a very mild state of tune developing 150hp at around 6,000 rpm and 220nm at a VERY low 1,950rpm.

Ive dusted alot of cars i really thought i would have absolutely no chance against. My most recent two kills were a manual BA falcon XR6 and a Mitsu FTO GPX with full hks exhaust inc extractors, new computer and camshafts.

Its a tad on the thirsty side, getting an average at the moment between 9-11 litres per 100 kms.

This is said to improve as i get a few kms on the car.

:

Then again it wont be too long until i get greedy and ill get APR to give my car a flash tune so that i can have 153kw and 328nm. : Watch out for the stock looking white polo gti
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 18-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #14
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Als, You really need to go out an test drive all these cars yourself. Just because someone else like a car doesn't mean you will. Test drive, Test drive and test drive some more and get a feel for each car. We can only recommend cars but everyone has there own personal tastes.

P.S Polo Gti has peak power 150hp @ 5800rpm not 6000rpm :P
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Als, You really need to go out an test drive all these cars yourself. Just because someone else like a car doesn't mean you will. Test drive, Test drive and test drive some more and get a feel for each car. We can only recommend cars but everyone has there own personal tastes.
I'd have to agree. You just need to go out and test drive, which I'm sure you will do. Obviously you've asked for OUR opinions... which aren't the deciding factor. Go with what suits you best.

P.S. Didn't you purchase the Fiesta sight unseen, and without test drive too?

Old 19-01-2007, 01:53 AM   #16
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Yes I pre-bought my Fiesta but I test drove the mk6 in 2003 when I went over to Europe (my Grandad has a mk6 Fiesta as well)
Old 19-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Fiesta to...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr

P.S Polo Gti has peak power 150hp @ 5800rpm not 6000rpm :P

Nice attempt at winding me up

If you read my post i said at ''around 6,000rpm'' :

Loads of fun :
Old 19-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #18
Steffo
LPG > You

To be a bit more technical, the Polo GTI has 150 PS (Pfederstarke), the funny, unrecognised German HP. Its got 147 proper horsepower.

:
Old 19-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #19
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

Honda Civic

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #20
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

Polos are gay

In development stage 2

Old 19-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #21
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

You're attempt at making your shitty little black Fiesta look ''touge'' by taking the pension pack hubcaps off is even more gay

Loads of fun :
Old 19-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieMK6
Honda Civic
A reason why would be helpful. The new Honda Civic doesn't exactly look crash hot, except the Sport model, in which case your paying top dollar for a Thai built car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieMK6
Polos are gay
Again, any reason why?

Funny, because I know what a lot of people would say about the Fiesta... the same thing! :ymca:

Old 19-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #23
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

lol
your attempt at sounding like a good driver , far to gay

In development stage 2

Old 19-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #24
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

just dont like polos

In development stage 2

Old 19-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #25
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

So it's an absolute CRIME for anyone to say anything negative about the Fiesta...... but its cool for you guys to bag other cars and brands without justification.. riiight.

Everything i have mentioned in this post has been justified.

Enter Richie with childish brand bashing

Loads of fun :
Old 19-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #26
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

you can say what you want man , dosnt bother me , stirring the pot

In development stage 2

Old 19-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #27
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=74357
Old 19-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #28
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

whos that directed at ??

In development stage 2

Old 19-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #29
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

^^^^^^

Loads of fun :
Old 19-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #30
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

your the one

: :

In development stage 2