Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #16711
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Default Re: Covid 19 -

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...inds/100346554

Articles like this are IMO an issue.

The headline focus’s on long Covid symptoms that are very real, there’s somewhat of a skeleton in the closet here, this lady is not healthy, she was not “healthy and active” prior to Covid and that health picture helped contribute massively in the fact she landed into ICU on intubation.

My elderly grandmother is healthy and active for her age, she would be within 10kg of her “ideal” body weight

Would this lady be suffering long Covid if she was in a better overall health picture?

I’m not posting this to be some kind of fat shaming asshat, but the fact that Obesity is one of if not the leading contributor to mortality relating to Covid.

It’s time to stop skirting the underlying issues, it will be people in this health position that will be vulnerable with waning vaccine protections and future variants that are a matter of when rather than if.
5 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #16712
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s the ABC, though. Always seem to be pushing an agenda other than impartiality - often seems that they’re influenced by an experience someone in the editorial staff is connected to. Right now I’d put quids on one of them having a house build go pear shaped.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #16713
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post

The headline focus’s on long Covid symptoms that are very real, there’s somewhat of a skeleton in the closet here, this lady is not healthy, she was not “healthy and active” prior to Covid and that health picture helped contribute massively in the fact she landed into ICU on intubation.

My elderly grandmother is healthy and active for her age, she would be within 10kg of her “ideal” body weight

Would this lady be suffering long Covid if she was in a better overall health picture?

I’m not posting this to be some kind of fat shaming asshat, but the fact that Obesity is one of if not the leading contributor to mortality relating to Covid.

It’s time to stop skirting the underlying issues, it will be people in this health position that will be vulnerable with waning vaccine protections and future variants that are a matter of when rather than if.
Agreed. I saw that and thought someone is taking the micky. That poor lady is morbidly obese. The article is only reinforcing a false norm in her mind and others in the same situation.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #16714
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I note another ABC article today mentioning somewhat casually, that a number (unquantified) of children below the official cutoff age in Australia for Covid vaccination, have nonetheless been vaccinated “in error”.

You would think this demands more rigorous investigation, implicitly it seems a “wink and a nod” is being given to people who skirt the rules - not unlike the “errors” which led to vaccination of some private school groups.

I really dislike bureaucratic doublespeak.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #16715
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...lqkj49qNmR3AVg

Boom.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
5 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 11:34 AM   #16716
slowsnake
Banned

Just watched the video, Mmmm, seems that covid hangs on, wether her being obese is the issue here I don't know, but she was a fully functioning employed person before covid, its symptoms are very similar to Ross River fever and Lyme disease, seems to be a common thread with all these things, an airborne breathable virus is different to a blood born illness, but with Ross River the vector is an infected mosquito, and Lyme disease the vector is a tick!

But the ongoing symptoms are identical, especially the brain fog, but apparently we do not have Lyme in Australia, but I know different, what we have here is a variation of Lyme, just like variants of covid, and SARS etc, delta covid, maybe there is something to this woman's issues, more than being a "fatty" see them inverted commas, I don't mean offence by not saying obese!
Old 10-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #16717
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Having been a long time and frequent visitor to Singapore (work) I'm not surprised by the decision, they are very pragmatic and don't suffer foolish behaviour.....they have my vote.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
5 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #16718
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

NSW/VIC
NSW records 217 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.0492 (from 1.0274) while the actual line remains above the predictive trend line which is trending upward again.

VIC records 1,003 cases in the current period and the 10-day average growth rate increases to 1.0163 (from 0.9989) while the actual line remains above the predictive trend and is diverging away.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 01:15 PM   #16719
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Off tangent a little… Just thinking of what must be absolutely massive costs to world governments to vaccinate their populations.
Obviously Pfizer aren’t donating their vaccine simply for the good of mankind?.. End of the day they aim to make money!
Google suggests Pfizer has so far had a “special pandemic” price of US$19.50 per dose (multiply that by God knows how many billions of jabs.. the mind boggles!)
More Interestingly though, is that Pfizer suggests that their “real world true price” would be in the vicinity of US$250-300 per shot!
Which they aim to charge once pandemic status eases….
Call me cynical, but I’d suggest World Governments won’t be footing the bill for boosters, annual jabs??
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #16720
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I absolutely agree you have a point about cost and where its burden falls. Who else remembers the antics of Martin Shkreli when he massively upped the price of a fairly critical medicine?
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 01:25 PM   #16721
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT November 9th 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

1,253 new cases for Australia and 14 deaths so the CMR is 1.007%.

127 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.412%.

The UK had 32,785 cases yesterday and 262 deaths for a CMR of 1.517%.

87,717 new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,324 deaths sees CMR at 1.637%.

Other notable points:
North America passes 57M cases;

Iceland (186);
Norway (2,126); and
Greece (8,613);

.... recorded new highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and no countries drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #16722
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

I would suggest that when news outlets produce articles they ensure the mass' get the point or its relatable?

If we feel it doesnt apply to us for whatever reason then just let the article fly.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #16723
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Off tangent a little… Just thinking of what must be absolutely massive costs to world governments to vaccinate their populations.
Obviously Pfizer aren’t donating their vaccine simply for the good of mankind?.. End of the day they aim to make money!
Google suggests Pfizer has so far had a “special pandemic” price of US$19.50 per dose (multiply that by God knows how many billions of jabs.. the mind boggles!)
More Interestingly though, is that Pfizer suggests that their “real world true price” would be in the vicinity of US$250-300 per shot!
Which they aim to charge once pandemic status eases….
Call me cynical, but I’d suggest World Governments won’t be footing the bill for boosters, annual jabs??
I honestly can't see a scenario where jabs are mandated by gov, but citizens are forced to purchase and administer with their own wallet at that price. But I can see jabs no longer being mandatory, and prices sky rocketing for the "few" who are vulnerable enough to need/want to keep taking them.

Another scenario is that ongoing booster jabs are mandatory, but the cost gets buried under Medicare, which ultimately comes back to us anyway.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 01:51 PM   #16724
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

One more bang on my drum re: Pfizer…
Their cost to manufacture is conservatively estimated at $1.08 per dose…(against their “pandemic special” of $19.50)
Our very own Melbourne based CSL were early leaders with Astra Zenica…
The smear campaign by the “big boys” knocked that on the head quick smart!
Now, I ain’t antivax, I’ve had my jabs, I also believe Covid is real….
BUT… The shear scale of money involved in this…. Come on!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
4 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #16725
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Their cost to manufacture is conservatively estimated at $1.08 per dose…(against their “pandemic special” of $19.50)
I agree. I believe AZ was 3.50 per shot or around 1/10 of pfizer.

"Someone" did a good hatchet job on AZ and it's pretty much dropped as a vaccine to be used here.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #16726
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

It's been a couple of months sice we looked at the delta between the 90th percentiles and 10-day average case numbers and that previous look was dominated by Asian countries as being those with > 100%.

This time around, the chart for Asia looks a lot better although there are still a few countries like Syria (the only one still above 100%); Armenia, Georgia and South Korea (all new to the chart), above the 100% mark but the Philippines, Japan, Israel, Sri Lanka, Palestine, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam have all dropped well below.

In our target countries group, Russia is the only country over the 100% mark while the USA has seen a significant reduction from 89% to 37%.

Europe has fared the worst this time. Last time only Norway and Serbia were over 100% while Luxembourg, Montenegro and Albania were right at 100% but this time it's probably easier to list the ones that aren't over 100% which are: France, Spain, the UK, Italy, Poland, Czechia, Portugal, Moldova, Bosnia, North Macedonia, Albania, Luxembourg and Malta. Austria and Greece are the worst at > 200%.

Africa has drastically improved across the board. Last time only Angola was over 100% but there were several countries above 50% whereas this time, Egypt (80%) is the only country above 50%.

In the Americas, four countries: Costa Rica, Cuba El Salvador and Guatemala were above 100% last time, with Cuba > 500%! This time there are none with the highest being El Salvador at 78%.

For anyone who wants to compare the data from September, the post can be found HERE

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #16727
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I agree. I believe AZ was 3.50 per shot or around 1/10 of pfizer.

"Someone" did a good hatchet job on AZ and it's pretty much dropped as a vaccine to be used here.
I can't disagree with that sentiment.

While there are valid issues with Astrazeneca such as the extended time between doses and the lower initial efficacy, the current longer term studies are suggesting that it's probably slightly more effective in the 4-8 month time frame than Pfizer.

Being cheaper should see it as the primary choice pending the longer term results for Moderna.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #16728
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Add to that contracts between government that is not transparant to the public. Heard something about Gov not being allowed to on sell or donate excess doses to other countries, unless explicitly approved by Pfizer themselves. Could explain why the US have been throwing out millions of unused doses, rather than sharing / on selling.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 05:38 PM   #16729
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

WooHoo!! no jail time if your unvaxxed.............................oh, hang on?

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 10-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #16730
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
WooHoo!! no jail time if your unvaxxed.............................oh, hang on?

It's only policy not LAW.
If it were LAW,she would loose in the Supreme Court, because it's aphartite and that would not go down well In court.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:43 PM   #16731
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I would suggest that when news outlets produce articles they ensure the mass' get the point or its relatable?

If we feel it doesnt apply to us for whatever reason then just let the article fly.
When displaying Covid complications in their article to their audience and glossing over the point that the feature person from the article has a very obvious case of the main co-morbidity for a disease then even go so far as to paint that person as fit and active I think that’s beyond bad journalism it’s misinformation.

Why would you want people that are going to be seriously at risk for Covid and many other diseases to think their health position is one to be content with?
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 05:43 PM   #16732
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see Singapore are saying no more free medical if you're unvaxxed, their ICU are almost full of unvaccinated drop kicks.
We should be doing the same here IMO.
As I read somewhere, the government should be saying free jabs until the end of the month after that it will cost you $1,000. That'll have them rushing in.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #16733
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
It's only policy not LAW.
If it were LAW,she would loose in the Supreme Court, because it's aphartite and that would not go down well In court.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
It a joke going around here, the joke been you will not be sentenced to jail time for a crime if your unvaxxed because the unvaxxed are banned from prisons.....

Not to be taken seriously...

5 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 06:13 PM   #16734
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
It a joke going around here, the joke been you will not be sentenced to jail time for a crime if your unvaxxed because the unvaxxed are banned from prisons.....

Not to be taken seriously...
if it helps i got it (and im not talking covid) and chuckled , should have posted it in the joke thread

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #16735
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I see Singapore are saying no more free medical if you're unvaxxed, their ICU are almost full of unvaccinated drop kicks.
As I read somewhere, the government should be saying free jabs until the end of the month after that it will cost you $1,000. That'll have them rushing in.
I agree kind off

But what about smokers and fat people. Do we suggest the same rules?
Old 10-11-2021, 06:44 PM   #16736
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
I agree kind off

But what about smokers and fat people. Do we suggest the same rules?

What about people who drink too much or abuse drugs? Do we send them a bill as well?

Looking after those that can’t look after themselves is what sets us apart from the animals.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #16737
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
What about people who drink too much or abuse drugs? Do we send them a bill as well?

Looking after those that can’t look after themselves is what sets us apart from the animals.
Agreed, but a simple jab will go a long way to you having not to go to ICU.
The same can't be said for people with other ailments, there is no instant cure jab to stop you getting fat, stop you smoking, kicking your habit etc.
The vax is a good preventative measure.
I'm not for 1 second suggesting we don't help those sorts of people.
Although I did know of a guy who had 2 heart ops and the Drs said "If you don't stop smoking you will die and we are not doing a 3rd heart op on you, this is it" He didn't quit and died 6 months later of heart attack.
Don't know if he had a warranty
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 08:52 PM   #16738
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post

This sort of attitude is frightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 09:01 PM   #16739
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post

Perhaps but there is a difference between long term habitual issues and not getting a vaccine.

Its not the right precedent, but interesting how people pick and choose when it is OK to cotton ball people and when its not.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 09:05 PM   #16740
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
When displaying Covid complications in their article to their audience and glossing over the point that the feature person from the article has a very obvious case of the main co-morbidity for a disease then even go so far as to paint that person as fit and active I think that’s beyond bad journalism it’s misinformation.

Why would you want people that are going to be seriously at risk for Covid and many other diseases to think their health position is one to be content with?
Why are you so bothered by it, get the vaccine and dont read poor journalism?

People have been told, millions have died prematurely due to CV19, if people dont get it by now them let them go.

A lot of articles get air play because they are creating fear, again, let people work it out for themselves and if a few more get spooked in getting vaccinated then good.

The astute can see through it, but generally its not those people who are lagging.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
6 users like this post:
Closed Thread