Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #271
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Was the refreshments late to the field? I don't think Afridi could wait, must have been a touch peckish.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 02:40 AM   #272
xr8-200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Was the refreshments late to the field? I don't think Afridi could wait, must have been a touch peckish.
He will probably earn himself a holiday after that... way to suck ball Afridi.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #273
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8-200
He will probably earn himself a holiday after that... way to suck ball Afridi.

same guy that was caught dancing on the pitch against england a couple of years back. not exactly helping the image of pakistan cricket!

you silly silly man afridi. you should be given a holiday.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #274
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
same guy that was caught dancing on the pitch against england a couple of years back. not exactly helping the image of pakistan cricket!

you silly silly man afridi. you should be given a holiday.
He has been, what makes it worse was that he was the stand in captain.

The bloke that ran onto the pitch and tackled one of the Pakistani fielders is a right clown too.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #275
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

The bloke that ran onto the pitch and tackled one of the Pakistani fielders is a right clown too.
yeah, top security in australia. if this happened to an aussie overseas, we would all be up in arms. it could just as easily have been a crazy man with a weapon.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #276
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Afridi gets 2 match suspension for his apple eating antics. Possibly a fine on top.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #277
prydey
Rob

its a joke. 2 t20's is hardly a worthy suspension.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #278
g220ba
FGX XR8

How he could be so stupid with 26 tv cameras at the ground. Then to come out today and claim every team ball tampers, pretty hard to believe with the level of tv coverage these days. Really deserved a greater punishment as a 2 game suspension's a bit weak from the ICC.

I hope the clown that tackled Khalid Latif enjoyed the game, i would imagine it's his last attendance at a major sporting event for quite some time, to go with a massive fine no doubt.

Great game to finish for the series, fantastic to see some fight from the Pakistani's.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #279
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
I hope the clown that tackled Khalid Latif enjoyed the game, i would imagine it's his last attendance at a major sporting event for quite some time, to go with a massive fine no doubt.
Indeed. While there appeared to be no malice in it and his teammates had a laugh about it, he tackled him without warning from behind and could have been injured as he hit the ground.

Personally, I think he should be brought up on assault charges.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #280
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Indeed. While there appeared to be no malice in it and his teammates had a laugh about it, he tackled him without warning from behind and could have been injured as he hit the ground.

Personally, I think he should be brought up on assault charges.

Pitty he didn't get Symonds. He was an absolute fool.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #281
prydey
Rob

Quote:

fined $500. if there was ever a slap on the wrist.... what a farce. if it happened to an aussie overseas, and the perpetrator got a small fine like that...
Old 07-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #282
prydey
Rob

windies are back for the odi's. hopefully they can put on a bit of a show for a couple, esp gayle.

top form by ch9 again. i will never understand why they can't put the news forward to 5.30 so that it falls in the innings break.

instead, for us here in s.a. anyway, we go back to the cricket at 3/13!

now its 4/44. gayle talked up a 4-1 result in their favour so looks like this is the one they lose.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #283
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
top form by ch9 again. i will never understand why they can't put the news forward to 5.30 so that it falls in the innings break.
There really needs to be a bit more flexibility from not only channel 9 but from all the commercial networks. Channel 7 showed the news, Today Tonight and of all things Home and away in preference to a Roger Federer match.

In terms of the cricket the Twenty20 on Friday night was just fantastic to watch. Pakistan really let it slip in the face of some great australia bowling. Shaun Tait bowling at 160.7km/h was just incredible to watch and frankly looked fast on tv. Steve Smith continues to impress and i hope a county team picks him (if they haven't already) and we really start to see him blossom into real contention for the no.1 spinner postion in the next 18 months.

In terms of the latest series the windies are still a chance if they pace their innings correctly and i wouldn't write them off just yet. I'm still tipping australia for a 5-0 series win. It should be closer than the pakistan series but with so many injuries it's hard to see the windies win the series.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #284
prydey
Rob

Quote:

In terms of the cricket the Twenty20 on Friday night was just fantastic to watch. Pakistan really let it slip in the face of some great australia bowling. Shaun Tait bowling at 160.7km/h was just incredible to watch and frankly looked fast on tv. .

unfortunately i was at work fri night, but it sounds like tait bowled fast and accurate. fast is a given but often he is a bit erratic. its often said that even he doesn't know where they are going to go. its a shame he doesn't seem to have the ability to play test cricket, but he plays very well in the short form. apparently didn't dip under 150 all night. 3-13 of 4 overs in a t20 is great figures.

i remember him in perth against south africa and that was good to watch.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #285
g220ba
FGX XR8

I really hope we see more of it from him in the future, he commented that it's the best he's felt in 18 months so fingers crossed we see that express pace in the near future.

The Windies however have now lost the game i believe, a couple of bad shots and the game really is in australia's grasp. The bowling depth in this country really is fantastic, the fact the leading wicket for the ODI's this summer was dropped to make way shows how tough it is to get into this side.
A lot of countries would love to have the depth we have here in all parts of the game.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #286
prydey
Rob

i agree to a point regarding the bowling stocks, but you must also consider the opposition. not really a lot of questions being asked of them.

england asked the questions and our bowlers couldn't deliver. i think all our bowlers are very good but sometimes lack the consistancy at the next level. they all show they have the ability to become great bowlers but can't reproduce it when they need to. johnson often gets wickets but i think he sprays them. siddle can turn a game on his own but often goes wicketless. watson is having a great summer but his fitness is always in question. hauritz has been steadily improving but we need more spinners. warne and jenner both said it was too early to pick smith but warne also said that things happen very quickly. in 18months warne went from a nobody playing grade/state cricket, to a permanent member of the aussie team.

2010/11 ashes is coming around fast.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #287
g220ba
FGX XR8

Gonna be a great summer of cricket next year, the only problem i have with it is we play 7 ODI's against England which for 1 series is just too many. I'm pretty sure the remainder would be made up by the Chappell-Hadlee Cup. I would rather see 5 against England and the Chappell-Hadlee played over 5 instead of 3.

I do agree about the bowling not really being tested this summer but it is good that they can come in against a lesser side and gain that experience at the international level, when it comes time to play the likes of England, India and SA they will have a degree of confidence that they can play at that level.

I would tip that within the next 18-24 months we will see australia the no.1 ODI and test playing nation again. For us to lose the class players we have over the last few years and still retain the no.1 ODI spot and a top 3 Test spot shows the amount of the depth we have at the moment.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #288
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yawn...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #289
nstg8a

australias first loss of the season, and a game of many records being broken.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #290
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
australias first loss of the season, and a game of many records being broken.
And what a game it was too. :

Looking forward to the ODIs, I wonder how much of an impact the lack of compititive competition over the summer has had on the Aussies.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #291
nstg8a

mate, il be happy if the blackcaps just give them a good hard push... with one or two more wins lol

although they showed certain members of the oz team cant handle the pressure...

and how the hell does a player escape punishment for giving a member of the rival team the fingers? i seem to remember touring teams here losing players for a match or two for not much more
Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #292
g220ba
FGX XR8

While there may have been a lack of competition from the Windies and Pakistani's i still think Australia are a very good team near the top of their form. Shown in the fact they were able to chase down 215 in 20 overs. Personally while it was a great game i still don't think too much can be read into a T20 result.

While T20 may be great for the spectators it's basically hit out or get out, skill is required but at the same a lot of luck is required. For me ODI's and Test are where it's at. I still enjoy T20's but just can't take it too seriously.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #293
nstg8a

Quote:
Shown in the fact they were able to chase down 215 in 20 overs. .
if they had been able to do that they would have won...

although i do agree with you about the australian team being near the top of their game, and they are playing very well, no doubt about it.

and a loss will do them some good i think.

the blackcaps are one of those teams that on their day they can beat any team, australia is one of the teams that can beat any team on an off day...

the depth is australian cricket is amazing, and i never really understood why until i moved here...

in nz cricket is only played for a few months, then rugby and league takes over, here it seems to be a pretty much year round sport, every weekend theres teams playing cricket at the sportsground by home, that has to help keep young guys interested, rather than milling from sport to sport
Old 03-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #294
XR8putts

: : :

What a game! And a 6 to wrap it up to boot.

NZ should've won that easy but made it hard for themselves in the middle of their innings. None the less, a win is a win.

Next time choose someone else to headbutt, Mitch.

Last edited by XR8putts; 03-03-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #295
g220ba
FGX XR8

NZ always seem to find that little bit extra against australia. Infact just about every team in international cricket seem to step up a notch against australia.

Great game however and NZ deserved to win. Hopefully the aussie take something out of the game and step it up for saturday.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #296
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99

Next time choose someone else to headbutt, Mitch.
i'm not disputing the crime or the punishment but geez, you'd need snicko or hotspot to confirm any contact (i'm basing this on limited footage i saw on foxsports news website)

why would you try to headbut someone wearing a helmet?

never really understood that with bowlers, getting in the face of someone wearing a helmet and carrying a lump of wood. obviously the reason fast bowlers are often said to be not too bright.

on a more international note, how's the 'little master' going? form is strong as ever. closing in on 50 (yes thats right) 100's in both tests and ODI. awesome record. 200no in an ODI against RSA no less is a top effort although i'd say the size of the ground contributed a fair bit.

on another international note with a bit of aussie flavour

John Howard nominated for ICC presidency

Cricinfo staff

March 2, 2010

John Howard, the former Australian prime minister, has finally been nominated by the boards of Australia and New Zealand as their candidate for the post of ICC president from 2012. Howard, who led the country from 1996 to 2007, will have the position rubber stamped in June and will succeed India's Sharad Pawar in two years.

The decision ends a long-running dispute over the preferred Australasian candidate. Cricket Australia searched outside their board of directors for a nomination and wanted Howard, who admits to being a cricket tragic, while New Zealand Cricket recommended its former chairman Sir John Anderson. Howard is a 70-year-old with no background in cricket administration but was pursued by Cricket Australia for his diplomatic skills.

Jack Clarke, Cricket Australia's chairman, and his New Zealand counterpart Alan Isaac issued a joint release saying they were pleased Howard had agreed to take on the role, which begins as vice-president in June. Howard said in the statement he was honoured and humbled to receive the recommendation for the appointment, but believed it would be inappropriate to comment until the post became official in June.

However, he was more expansive in a release from the ICC. "It is a great honour to be nominated by Cricket Australia and New Zealand Cricket for the vice-presidency of the International Cricket Council from June-July 2010," he said. "Cricket has been one of my lifelong passions and, if the ICC accepts my nomination, it will be a privilege to serve this great game."

The countries' boards set up a committee including an independent member in the businessman Sir Rod Eddington to decide who should be nominated. "It was an extremely difficult decision and ultimately relied on the input of Sir Rod Eddington, whom both cricket boards respect enormously," Clarke and Isaac said. "The ICC faces significant and complex internal and external challenges in its quest for cricket to become a genuinely global sport. Australia and New Zealand considered a number of distinguished candidates of global stature before deciding to invite John Howard to consider the role."

The ICC presidency is given to countries by rotation and the incumbent David Morgan, the ECB's representative, will hand the responsibility to Pawar in June. Howard will then act as vice-president and take over after Pawar's two-year tenure ends. His nomination will be approved at the ICC's executive board meeting in April and the position will be finalised at the annual conference in the middle of the year.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #297
XR8putts

Quote:
i'm not disputing the crime or the punishment but geez, you'd need snicko or hotspot to confirm any contact (i'm basing this on limited footage i saw on foxsports news website)

why would you try to headbut someone wearing a helmet?

never really understood that with bowlers, getting in the face of someone wearing a helmet and carrying a lump of wood. obviously the reason fast bowlers are often said to be not too bright.
There was most certainly contact..

He needs to pull his head in. The indimidation (after geting hit for consecutive boundaries ) is only gonna fire Kiwis up more. Didn't he push a West Indian player earlier this summer and receive a fine/one match ban?

Edit: No he didn't push a West Indian. But he's still a hot head and needs to pull his head in.

Last edited by XR8putts; 04-03-2010 at 12:52 PM.