Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Living in a shed

Any thoughts on this ?
Has anyone here done it or considering doing it ?
The pics below are an example of what we're considering.
Local bloke does this for a living. Pics are his place.
Front shed for living, rear shed for work. Looks ideal.

graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Living in a shed

Have considered it several times, but the wife is the only thing stopping me from doing it.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Cam
Stroking it...

There is a thread around somewhere on this.. had heaps of info.. When I have some time spare I will see if I can dig it up..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

It can be done but is very dependant on the local council.

I know someone who wanted to live in a caravan and then a shed whilst he built his house on the same block. The local council said no.... something to do with health and sanitation.

Of course if the council don't know......
Old 14-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

My cousin has turned a massive shed on his work property into a half-garage / half-house...built a couple of rooms himself and also got a large caravan...gutted it and did it up from scratch...has worked out really well for him!
Old 14-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
It can be done but is very dependant on the local council.

I know someone who wanted to live in a caravan and then a shed whilst he built his house on the same block. The local council said no.... something to do with health and sanitation.

Of course if the council don't know......
Good points...but I guess as this local bloke has done it he'll know what's up.
I'm getting his details soon so I'll have a chat with him and cost it out.
Old 14-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Yes I'll be doing it while the house gets built, but I dont have a tiny house block its general farming land and my shed will have full amenitys
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not?

a house is just a box, whats the difference? if its well fitted out / appinted it can be just as compfortable as any house

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are plenty of "kit" type homes which are simply converted sheds.
As has been said it depends on council bylaws.

Would be easy to build, but because its all basically roof cladding would need insulation everywhere and aircon would be a must? in order for it not to turn into a sweat box.

I have seen a few of those barn type sheds around townsville built into homes as well.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother lives in a shed. (think its a class 3). It's a.massive slab that's fully roofed. When he wants a new room, he unscrews a wall, slaps some speedy frame up and bingo a new room. He lives in Katherine, nt. From what he tells me it has to be classed as livable shed. hence the class 3
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow that`s a cool shed(pic), actually i thought about a small brick factory years ago, a diesel mechanic owned it/ lived out of it, it was a bit of a dungeon really, but it had enough space for about 5 prime movers, nothing flash like that though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

JG65TE, Cat3 is for cyclonic areas I think
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Ian Hedley from off road racing fame owns an engineering business in Singleton doing work for Hunter valley mines he is a millionaire his home is one of these type setups he has dinner then opens a door to the workshop and into the race cars. His workshop/home is a multi level affair with sauna and spa etc very nice far removed from a typical shed however its all green cliplock on the outside.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got back to the burbs after living in a shed for 2 and a half years. A real shed as in a garage on a country property with solar power, composting toilet, and makeshift shower. As far as sanitation is concerned the council gave approval for the composting toilet. Yep, there was a permit for that. We had lined the shed and it was great insulation wise but we had heaps of problems with the mouse plague. Mice nested in the walls and no matter what we tried we couldn't keep them out. It got unlivable in the end after mice died in the walls. The smell was so thick you could taste them in the air. I remember waking up with four live mice on me one morning. I was always waking up with spiders and even snake beside my bed once.

I still have a reflex action from spotting and instantly killing anything that moves. If you saw it you had to go for it instantly because if it got away it was at some point going to end up on you at night. Nowadays if I see a mark on the carpet out the corner of my eye I still just about jump up after it.

Living in the shed was a losing battle. The mice won in the end and I pretty much walked away with the shirt on my back. The mice got the rest when I was away in the city. The locust plague was eventful too. I was probably living way rougher than you're planning though. Living in the shed was great. The mice, spiders, millipedes, and locusts not so great.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah thats kind of the idea.......... have the workshop directly attached to the living area. Get a couple of hoists in there
Old 14-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Done right it should be easy enough to keep vermin out I reckon
Old 14-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
I just got back to the burbs after living in a shed for 2 and a half years. A real shed as in a garage on a country property with solar power, composting toilet, and makeshift shower. As far as sanitation is concerned the council gave approval for the composting toilet. Yep, there was a permit for that. We had lined the shed and it was great insulation wise but we had heaps of problems with the mouse plague. Mice nested in the walls and no matter what we tried we couldn't keep them out. It got unlivable in the end after mice died in the walls. The smell was so thick you could taste them in the air. I remember waking up with four live mice on me one morning. I was always waking up with spiders and even snake beside my bed once.

I still have a reflex action from spotting and instantly killing anything that moves. If you saw it you had to go for it instantly because if it got away it was at some point going to end up on you at night. Nowadays if I see a mark on the carpet out the corner of my eye I still just about jump up after it.

Living in the shed was a losing battle. The mice won in the end and I pretty much walked away with the shirt on my back. The mice got the rest when I was away in the city. The locust plague was eventful too. I was probably living way rougher than you're planning though. Living in the shed was great. The mice, spiders, millipedes, and locusts not so great.
Oh, and my advice. If you want to live in a shed whilst building then think about getting a caravan or site office instead. You can get great ones with kitchen and bathroom for about $6000. I considered this before leaving the country.
Old 14-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6
JG65TE, Cat3 is for cyclonic areas I think
Just to clarify, what was meant by class 3 is in regards to the BSA building codes, class 3 is for other living buildings that do not fit into class 1 or class 2.
Old 14-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ranbuild have some great looking kits for about 50k

Old 14-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

You'll find that $50k would only get you the shed portion of the home, especially one that size in the pic above.
Old 14-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #21
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
You'll find that $50k would only get you the shed portion of the home, especially one that size in the pic above.
Oh for sure... i reckon it's all doable for under 200k..close to $150k if things aren't too flash
Old 14-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

^thats gotta be way more than 50k lol (edit: beaten to it)

We looked into living in a shed after buying somewhere rural and then eventually building a house. Most councils are clamping down on it at the moment. You will need better part of 100k for a shed (4-5 bays) and make it liveable to a council standard. Thicker concrete slabs, lined walls, full bathroom and kitchen, studier framework on the shed itself. It all adds up. The other thing to remember is that once you have your class 3 dwelling on your piece of land many councils will then make you jump through hoops to build another, ie a house.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #23
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My place was noisy as all **** when it rained too. All that tin. My place was a big open space with mezzanine floor. Couldn't hear someone two feet away yelling when it really got raining.
Old 14-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

[HTML][/HTML]
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
Oh for sure... i reckon it's all doable for under 200k..close to $150k if things aren't too flash
I did quote a barn house for someone a while back and the frame alone was $35,000 at trade price, so add GST and markup, still close to $50k and that was about 3 years ago.
Old 14-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #25
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T

I think (and correct me if im wrong) that a "shed" normally would have the wall panels over hanging the slab so that the corrigations were all open for vermin to get in.

A "house" built using a steel type shed would need the wall panels on top of the slab so that none of the corrigations would be "open".

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #26
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People need to define a shed or a house
Living in a steel framed , corrogated external lined, class 10 (house slab)building is not a shed
Living in a steel framed dwelling ,is that a steel framed dwelling
You can build something to a similar design to a shed but its a dwelling for humans
The main problem people have , and ive looked very heavily into this, is the price for most of these shed kits, are for a shed based slab,so goin to a dwelling classed slab escalates the overall cost
The shed design and structure for a shed is usually a simple portal frame, top hat and some tin , thats a shed
Steel framed portal framed house, usually have studed framed walls, more cost, internal lined, more cost
Im mid way threw the design stakes, and hopefully costruction of a steel framed house design,with external corrogated walls,alot easier to maintain and look after than wood,or cladding
Council do have regulations regarding living in vans while building,and its due to health issues as mentioned,and even some councils will charge you some fee , if they let you live on your own property in your caravan
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #27
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Well I basically have 3 stories haha, oh btw didn't read all comments, not in a reading mood lol.

I lived in a house in the NT that was made of the same stuff, roof and walls, insulated and all, tiled floors, was fine, was about as hot as any other house really, but did have aircons anyway as we liked the cool and it's extremely hot anyway, tiles stayed relatively cool, only problem which isn't all that much is the expanding metal and at night when it cools and contracts again, makes a little bit of noise I suppose.

My brother also owned a little shed that he rented out, was the same really, cool on the inside as any other house was, but cheaper then every other house..

But finally to put a bad spin on it, both of those houses were build by my father who runs a building company and has been building for quite some time, meaning the house was build to a high quality.

I was working with my brother on a house near Lismore (Northern NSW) and we were putting insulation in the walls, mind you isn't that hard at all since all the framing easily holds it once cut into shape, he kept pointing out all these shortcuts and missed spots and things that were out of line, because those who build the kit sheds who are hired from the kit company don't seem to give a stuff about doing it right, no offence to anyone who does, I believe it was a Ranbuild shed, basically the same as what you posted.

So if you do look at getting one, expect to see screws drilled up through the roof and not sealed, beams not aligned correctly out of laziness, screws not even holding anything and not removed out of laziness, shortcuts and other things, it's a pity, because they have such potential.

None of it's welded either, so if you're in a danger area for high winds you might think twice.

As a reply to other posts, I don't believe I had any problems with rain, but we did have a ceiling as well, not just a roof, insulation then some panels over it.

Never had a problem with mice and other stuff, only roaches and spiders that crawled under the door, but in saying that, you wouldn't be buying an ACTUAL shed.

EDIT:

You could also think about this, my other brother bought a house, it was half built, only a frame which was extended from a portable apartment or whatever they are.

Copying the pattern the from portable he was able to incorporate it into the house but while still having a kitchen, bedroom, toilet and small lounge room to stay in.

All windows and other things were second hand, he's turned it into quite a good place that would actually suit as a beach house, for a quarter of the price.

Now that the house is built, it now suits as a complete bedroom, personal toilet, walk in closet, and computer room.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.

Last edited by XR6Naranja; 14-03-2012 at 09:14 PM.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #28
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's really all about the $$ too...... can't say that I want a $600,000 mortgage round our neck until we snuff it
Old 15-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #29
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
It's really all about the $$ too...... can't say that I want a $600,000 mortgage round our neck until we snuff it
Yeah, you have a lot of positives with building a shed as a house, but a lot of mess around to do it right.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #30
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm....just a thought here, is lightning something to be worried about?
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post